REI Systems Reviews

Updated 17 April, 2015
80 reviews filtered by
REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 7 reviews)

• If u stay a long time and if they like you the benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 6 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 4 reviews)

1. Energetic, talented,dynamic, team oriented environment

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard you are rewarded.
    Very fun and intelligent people.
    Always striving to be better.
    I really enjoyed working here.

Cons

Some indviduals were promoted into management and remained there that should not have been.

Advice to Management

Train and select managers carefully.

2. program manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) talented, gracious, hard-working people who are collaborative, helpful, committed, and smart
    2) committed, carling leaders who listen and take action to address feedback
    3) competitive pay and benefits (pay equal or more than similar firms in this market)
    4) 40 hours of professional development (lots of onsite training, opportunities to get MANY tech and business certifications -- such as Agile and PMP
    5) full-time professional development coach (offers 1-1 coaching and group coaching programs)
    6) good work / life balance and employee trust -- employees arrive when we want and go home when we're done. the building empties out (except for a small handful) after 6 pm).
    6) lots of extras (nice offices! -- lots of windows & skylights and nice seating areas, active clubs, onsite sports and games, fun tech team competitions, social & cultural activities, spring egg hunt, Halloween party, winter holiday party, opportunities to thank each other with valentines, candy-grams, employee appreciations and awards, and more)

Cons

I've worked at a lot of really tough places -- big consulting firms -- with 14-hour days as a norm and expectations that I would work every night after dinner, so I can't think of any cons here, other than what I mentioned in advice to management.

Advice to Management

1) Tech professionals must continue to focus more on social / soft skills
    3) Consider acquisition strategies (to buy into certain domains, client agencies, and capabilities / technologies)

3. REI Systems, Inc. - Not perfect, but always working on getting better.

I have been working at REI Systems

Pros

Most days, I love working at REI. Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help. My two bosses have been very supportive and easy to talk to. They are interested in giving me work that I enjoy, not just whatever is in the top of their inboxes. They are very accommodating when I have personal issues that affect my work schedule. The pay is good and the benefits are generous by today's "lean and mean" standards.

Cons

Most of the people who work at REI come from places where English is not the first language, or where the English they speak is not standard British or American English. This causes communication problems, not just with customers, but with co-workers. It can be very frustrating. In addition, some - but not all - of the foreign-born supervisors have a very different attitude toward the supervisor/staff relationship than what I am used to. This can also be a source of frustration.

Advice to Management

Do more to ensure that project managers aren't shooting themselves in the foot by burning out their "star players." I think the change in approach discussed in the Town Halls and All-Hands meeting is great. Everyone was happy to hear that REI will be building a little more cushion into contracts and developing a talent "bench" so that the best people aren't overworked right out the door. Ask your managers how they plan to comply with these new requirements.

Great people, great intentions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

REI Systems is dedicated to providing the best customer experience above all else. We are passionate about the work we do and want to do it the best way we know how.

The people are amazing. I have not experienced malicious office politics here like I have at other companies and in other work environments.

Senior Management is committed to improving employee morale - employee surveys, manager 360 reviews, lunch with executives, town hall meetings, anonymous texts for collecting feedback are all tools that have been implemented to measure satisfaction and make changes.

Cons

There is often last minute scrambling to get work done on time. Due to our desire to meet customer expectations, we often fail to nail down requirements until right before deployment. Sometimes this causes lots of re-work and frustrations.

The quality of the product often suffers due to constant changes.

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable for last minute work overload or failure to maintain standards.

Communication of big picture plans and discussions with team members needs to happen daily. People should not feel left in the dark about why decisions are made and how they will be affected.

All-American sweatshop! Minus the Americans.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good digs, good work computer. I had enough time to pick up lunch at the gas station nearby and eat at my desk.

Cons

Above is the best I could do on good things. The employees are seen as tools, not people. I know this because I climbed the ladder quickly and got to hear the management discussions about their underlings. It's not good. I would never treat people the way they do by default.

I was working 13 hour days minimum, and I only tolerated it because I don't have dependents of my own. Please, do me a favor and don't ever entertain the idea of working at REI. You can thank me over a beer sometime.

Advice to Management

No advice, you're the problem. Just sell the company and move on.

Run, don't walk!

I worked at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Good location, nice offices and facilities.

Cons

Only do one thing--web-based software development. If you are from a foreign country, like India, this might be a good place to get experience, citizenship, or both. Be prepared for long hours, bad management, playing favorites, and not carry over vacation hours for they never gave you time off. If you are a manager, Indian or not, you should run, not walk from this place. No opportunities for advancement, losing contracts.

Advice to Management

Replace the management team or sell the company. Lies add up.

Friendly Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-> Friendly colleagues
    -> Flexible timings
    -> Work will keep you busy
    -> Excellent benefits

Cons

-> Need to work on cutting edge technologies.. Again this all depends on the govt. needs as most of the projects are health care projects.
    -> Routine work. Sometimes it's boring to work on the same thing.

An IT sweatshop

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at REI Systems

Pros

There were a few people with really good technical talent that I had a pleasure of working with.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive managers. Very poor work life balance. Managers set a very high standard for their employees which is in a way kind of good. The problem is they don't set the same level of standard for themselves. They blame their subordinates for their own abysmal project plan and execution.

Advice to Management

Be careful whom you choose for management roles. Just having a good personal relationship with a person should not be the reason to promote him or her to management position. If you genuinely care about the long term good of your company, make a little more effort in finding the right talent instead of settling for a mediocre person that you are comfortable working with.

Not for Everybody

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers; management values continuous education. The office space is outstanding. Employees generally have very good cooperative relationships with an attitude of mutual support.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. If you are an Indian male you have a better chance for recognition and advancement. The company which is located in Loudon County, is more than 50 percent Indian and you cant do that by accident. The Indian team members are "trusted" the rest are seen as "necessary evils". The upper management are out of their depth and the company's mediocre growth is a symptom of this.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Owners retire so that a competent management team can make the necessary changes in operations.

Sweatshop Masquerading as Government Contractor

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flex hours
    - Can work from home occasionally, if pre-arranged with supervisor

Cons

- Unimaginative management.
    - Poor HR department.
    - Abysmal in-house communications.
    - Clients are never wrong.

Advice to Management

- Realize that REI is no longer a small business.
    - Hire managers with American know-how, who don't act like slaves in front of government clients.
    - Stop lying to employees and treating them like idiots.
    - Revamp the HR department to be a professional, pro-employee (instead of exclusively pro-management) organization.