REI

REI Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions(in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me(in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig(in 31 reviews)

A part-time holiday job that turned out to be a great pleasure

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO (US)

Pros• The on-boarding and training process was impressive
    • For several days the managers presented every detail of what was expected of the staff
    • Formal training was delivered effectively and time give to practice and make errors
    • When new employees ask the “dumb” questions everyone is happy to help and did not judge
    • The processes and procedures are well defined and documented. They admit when a process need to be improved but have a reasonable answer to every situation for the present moment.
    • Positive attitudes! The only place I’ve ever worked where there wasn’t really a rumor mill that I could detect
    • When I messed up they handled it professionally and avoided making me feel bad about myself
    • From employee to store manager, the people were truly fantastic

Cons• The corporate IT staff is working on it, but the tools were aging and slowed the delivery of customer service
    • Hours are competitive and subject to the cycles of retail and the local store

Advice to Senior Management• Keep it up
    • Thank you for such a positive experience even if you did not pick me to stay.

Great Part-time job

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA (US)

ProsI have a great group of vibrant coworkers passionate about exploring the outdoors and inspiring customers in their own adventures. The discounts on gear and accessories are amazing, and even though I work part-time I have access to healthcare.

ConsMy work schedule is erratic. I work different hours and days every week. We are given our hours a week at a time, two weeks in advance. We are required to be available for one full shift every weekend, unless we have been approved for time off. Almost no one is full-time, and the number of hours I am given varies dramatically depending on the season.
    My biggest complaint is that to remain on the health insurance, I have to maintain at least 20 hours average per week, and REI cannot promise to give me at least 20 hours, as I am not fulltime. Averages are checked quarterly, and if I fall below, I loose my insurance. This happened once: I got a letter from corporate in my box, and 1 week later I was off. I got no warning. Scheduling is done per store, but averages are monitored at corporate so there is a disconnect. I was sooooo close to 20 hrs average, I could have contributed some of my vacation time to raise up my average if I had known. I went on COBRA, and the following quarter I again qualified for insurance.
    Also, any question about the health plan, and I am referred to a phone number. There is no in-house HR at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some warning regarding when running averages are going to be checked for health insurance qualification. This is basic and means so much to those of us relying on insurance.
    Make work schedules more consistent.

Great experience

ProsIt's what you make of it.

Constoo much empowerment, gives a sense of entitlement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, cool gear, fun outdoor atmosphere.

ConsNone I can think of.

Great benefits and flexibility.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsREI consistently attracts quality employees and customers, making the retail business as pleasurable as retail can be. REI takes work-life balance seriously.

ConsMany decisions for local stores are made on a national level, which can stifle store growth and development, and is a sense of frustration (and often amusement) for retail employees.

Inconsistent experience

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) West Hartford, CT (US)

ProsI've worked at three different stores in three different states. The plus is being able to transfer to another store when moving. The health insurance is great and you can't beat paid vacation time at a retail job. Some stores are great with great supervisors and great co-workers. Others, not so much (see below).

ConsSome stores are run by managers who do not understand how to run a store and generate sales without cutting corners. Unfortunately one of the ways they meet these goals is by reducing payroll hours which leaves you understaffed. At one of my stores, this meant that you had to give total open availability only to get a measly 20 hours per week. And work life balance means nothing when you're working somewhere that is the epitome of inefficiency. Some managers don't appreciate hard work and favor employees who make them feel liked. This creates an environment where lazy employees get promoted and/or scheduled the most hours. At the store I am describing the store manager blamed sales specialists for low morale, treated us like children, and lacked any real leadership skills. He was passive aggressive with feedback and never gave a clear path for development and improvement.

My experience at the other two stores were superb. Excellent team oriented environment where managers and co-workers treated everyone with respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold store managers and district managers accountable for all aspects of the store, not just sales goals. Sometimes sales are high simply because of location and demographics, which have nothing to do with store managers. Stores with high turn over and no long-term staff members should be looked at very closely because it means leadership is lacking. Provide specific metrics for upper management store visits, including visual standards and warehouse organization. Although this isn't everything, if the store is a mess, it says a lot about the leadership and their priorities. Stores who do not know how to keep things running efficiently will hold the co-op back from moving forward on a larger scale.

Good but not great

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

ProsFun atmosphere, lots of comradarie and liked minded coworkers.

ConsToo much emphasis on membership sales. Becoming too sales oriented of a company and beginning go forget about the employees and customers along the way

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so sales oriented

Fairytale gone bad

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsYou get to work with great people while getting great deals on gear. Every once in a while a customer will make my day.

ConsEverything varies from store to store as you would suspect in a retail environment. In the Houston-Galleria location: considered a large store (in regards to revenue) but small space, very high turnover rate, low staffing, breaks are not given, poor communication, high work-place politics, under-paid for what you actually accomplish, poor planning and scheduling, manager and supervisors are out for themselves whiling lying, and VERY rude customers. Most employees are looking elsewhere for employment

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much is based on unrealistic goals, poor inventory planning, change is way too slow! The CEO creating change but everyone seems to resist.

Intereting

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsLearning to sell and interact with people in a positive manner.

ConsThe selling of memberships over product was something I'm still confused about.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training. Perhaps role playing. More information on products. Keep the wonderful atitude.

Solid leadership and values, but much easier to advance if you're male

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsThe senior leadership is genuine and thoughtful; at REI, it's about more than just the bottom line. For full-time salaried employees, the company is generous with health an insurance benefits, and seems to genuinely care about its employees. The company culture absolutely supports outdoor exploration and physical fitness, and is serious about environmental stewardship.

ConsThe culture is slow to embrace change and innovation. It's a very risk-averse environment. Company HQ feels like a big high school campus and staff is isolated from professional peers. Professional development opportunities are limited. Leadership is mostly male, and men tend to advance much more easily through the ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees with continuing education, and make a concerted effort to support women to move into management positions.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!