REI

REI Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions(in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me(in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig(in 31 reviews)

Customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, cool gear, fun outdoor atmosphere.

ConsNone I can think of.

A part-time holiday job that turned out to be a great pleasure

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO (US)

Pros• The on-boarding and training process was impressive
    • For several days the managers presented every detail of what was expected of the staff
    • Formal training was delivered effectively and time give to practice and make errors
    • When new employees ask the “dumb” questions everyone is happy to help and did not judge
    • The processes and procedures are well defined and documented. They admit when a process need to be improved but have a reasonable answer to every situation for the present moment.
    • Positive attitudes! The only place I’ve ever worked where there wasn’t really a rumor mill that I could detect
    • When I messed up they handled it professionally and avoided making me feel bad about myself
    • From employee to store manager, the people were truly fantastic

Cons• The corporate IT staff is working on it, but the tools were aging and slowed the delivery of customer service
    • Hours are competitive and subject to the cycles of retail and the local store

Advice to Senior Management• Keep it up
    • Thank you for such a positive experience even if you did not pick me to stay.

Great experience

ProsIt's what you make of it.

Constoo much empowerment, gives a sense of entitlement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Part-time job

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA (US)

ProsI have a great group of vibrant coworkers passionate about exploring the outdoors and inspiring customers in their own adventures. The discounts on gear and accessories are amazing, and even though I work part-time I have access to healthcare.

ConsMy work schedule is erratic. I work different hours and days every week. We are given our hours a week at a time, two weeks in advance. We are required to be available for one full shift every weekend, unless we have been approved for time off. Almost no one is full-time, and the number of hours I am given varies dramatically depending on the season.
    My biggest complaint is that to remain on the health insurance, I have to maintain at least 20 hours average per week, and REI cannot promise to give me at least 20 hours, as I am not fulltime. Averages are checked quarterly, and if I fall below, I loose my insurance. This happened once: I got a letter from corporate in my box, and 1 week later I was off. I got no warning. Scheduling is done per store, but averages are monitored at corporate so there is a disconnect. I was sooooo close to 20 hrs average, I could have contributed some of my vacation time to raise up my average if I had known. I went on COBRA, and the following quarter I again qualified for insurance.
    Also, any question about the health plan, and I am referred to a phone number. There is no in-house HR at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some warning regarding when running averages are going to be checked for health insurance qualification. This is basic and means so much to those of us relying on insurance.
    Make work schedules more consistent.

Great place to work

ProsWorking with like minded people who love being outdoors and are passionate about the products we sell, extremely respectful and helpful management and sales leads, competitive hourly pay especially for college students.

ConsPressure of meeting membership selling goals set by management

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Sales Associate

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Concord, CA (US)

ProsPerfect School part time job. Work life balance cannot be beat, Benefits.... if don't already know look it up they're beyond your fantasies if you know what benefits are in relation to hours worked, (ratio= time worked:benefits paid), Minimum wage is respectable but not livable until you move up, but you can quickly if you actually make serious effort. Other jobs you make serious effort and may move up quicker, yet the benefits and work life balance can't be met, in most occupations.... if you can complain, you're right... a sole proprietorship can be a better work life balance with possible better pay if you're up for the initial start-up work and know what you're doing

ConsWhen you begin you cannot live off the wage. It's far better than your burger joint or average job, but still not sustainable until you move up. Advancement is difficult if you view it that way and have managers that don't see advancement as their agenda.. If you are willing to put up with 1 to 2 years of learning without getting the pay you need to live off of, (living with a gf or significant other or college) then you can and will advance if you have the drive. You Will not get the hours you need to live until you move up to sales lead or management, but you can and will if you have it and want it

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a co-op and that is a philosophy we cannot live without, however to satisfy customer demand we need to act more capitalistic in some ways, not in nature and philosophy, but as a business model. I believe Jerry S. may do quite a bit of good creating our company into a larger brand name than it already is. I believe that strong membership growth is clearly positive, however accountability in other regions is important as well. We do not use commission which is good, having had those jobs before myself. It gives us credibility we couldn't have otherwise, however it creates a problem of accountability It's hard to judge numbers when the only clear numbers are memberships and in recent times, MSA transactions. All our staff need more accountability for what they do.

Excellent Job for Outdoor Nuts!

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA (US)

ProsWonderful place to work where both employees and customers are valued in a real way. Great starting pay and some really interesting, knowledgeable co-workers. The company is very responsible and it felt great to work for a company I could believe in.

ConsI started working for REI because I wanted to get into camping and outdoor activities and would have appreciated more product knowledge and training in the different areas of the store. I felt like because I didn't come in with a background that I was relegated to customer service and found it difficult to integrate myself into the team.

Great people, great stuff

Cashier (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsThe customers and the co-workers were all passionate about the same things I was. Made it easy to come to work each day.

ConsIt seemed the ability to move up was very competitive, required relocation and didn't happen that often.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who you are and where you came from. I got the feeling that the day to day leadership had taken a toll on management.

Great benefits and flexibility.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsREI consistently attracts quality employees and customers, making the retail business as pleasurable as retail can be. REI takes work-life balance seriously.

ConsMany decisions for local stores are made on a national level, which can stifle store growth and development, and is a sense of frustration (and often amusement) for retail employees.

sales specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Prosfriendly outdoor people, great discounts, customers are positive.

ConsAdvancement is a slow tedious process.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!