REI Reviews

Updated 23 October, 2014
3.6

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 58 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Uplifting place to work

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Going to work was enjoyable. I appreciated the fact that my coworkers were all interesting people from walks of all life an all ages.

Cons

Weekend commitments and retail holiday hours.

None. I appreciated my upper management.

Great company with huge potential under new leadership.

I have been working at REI

Pros

A great company with an amazing legacy and an extraordinary potential if new leadership embraces the potential to leverage customer data, customer experience and omni-channel loyalty based from the co-op membership model.

Cons

In the past the company has been very risk averse and slow to evolve. In many ways this has served them well, especially in the 2008 economic downturn. However when it comes to the digital landscape and the rapidly changing shopping landscape they have exposed themselves greatly to both those doing multi/omni-channel shopping better at one end of the spectrum and Amazon doing commodity shopping at the other.

The new CEO seems to have vision in this territory and they've announced that they will be hiring a CMO, a position that's never existed at REI. Both of these are hopeful and encouraging signs.

Worked with REI for over 6 years

Former Employee - Sales Specialist - Soft Goods, Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked as a customer service representative and sales specialist for many years and loved every minute of it. REI stays true to their company values and treats their employees with respect as well as great benefits!

Cons

Of course it was a part-time job and one of the hardest parts was getting enough hours to sustain a solid income.

Best place to work

I have been working at REI

Pros

The people are amazing. Our customers are amazing. Great benefits and vacation. I love what I do.

Cons

It's retail, so you work all shifts. Morning, weekends, nights.

Great company to work for

I worked at REI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Team members to work with.

Cons

Low wages, but it IS retail.

fun and cool

Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meet new people
    great pay
    great dicounts

Cons

time goes slow
    gets boring at times

make it more fun

Great balance, managers a bit pushy

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The scheduling is very flexible, and they are understanding if you need to take off time as long as they know in advance. Employees are very knowledgeable and a great resource.

Cons

Mangers tend to push metrics substantially more than they probably need to. Membership sales are constantly harped on.

Listen more to employees. Many of their ideas to boost membership sales and overall store functionality are actually quite good.

A great part-time job with awesome benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist, Sales Specialist in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A fun place to meet interesting people and learn a lot about gear and the outdoors.

Cons

Not a career job. Slow days can be really dreadful.

The Best Ever For Outdoor Crazies!

Current Employee - Clothing/Front Line in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Clothing/Front Line in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

friendly environment, great atmosphere, gives back to community, flexible scheduling, No sales goals = no competition with coworkers = everybody's willing to help everyone, extensive hands on training,

Cons

retail= working some holidays= not much opportunity to travel to family, have to work 1000 hours before benefits kick in, can get hectic (be ready for it), temptation to spend your whole paycheck at the store!

Overall nice place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time

Pros

Customers tend to be quite friendly and typically excited about upcoming adventures which always makes for a more pleasurable experience. Co-workers are all outdoor enthusiasts which means there are always great stories to share and there's a wealth of knowledge to tap into in the event I run into customer questions I am unable to answer. The company also cares a lot about outdoor stewardship and encourages employees to get outside often. The company is even starting what they call Yay Days which are days where employees will get paid to go out and do their favorite activities (8 hours for full-time employees and 6 hours for part-time).

Cons

Weekly hours are completely dependent upon number of memberships you sell. If you cannot get customers to become members then you will be given very few hours each week. They give you a yearly membership goal which is based on number of hours worked per week and if you are anywhere under 100 percent of your goal then your hours may not be what you'd like. Another huge con is the pay. With over 5 years of retail experience alone the pay should be much better than it is.

I understand that membership sales are important to the company and the membership really is a great thing, but perhaps try not to punish hardworking employees so much just because they cannot convert members. It's one thing to cut the hours of someone who simply doesn't care or try to sell memberships, but to punish those who try hard each day to find new members just seems cruel.