REI

Updated 17 November, 2014
3.7

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Had forgot what work-life balance was like until I came here (in 58 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 41 reviews)

• Hours are intentionally shy of full time for 80% of staff; maybe to cut costs for employee benefits (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job once you're full time!

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at REI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great customers and coworkers, relaxed environment. Great benifits package once it kicks in and amazing discounts on merchandise. Easy to transfer locations and relocate. 8 hour paid day off every 6 months is a nice perk.

Cons

Retail within a large company always has its challenges. Loss prevention, low hours for part time employees, limited space for stock, unclear visual standards. Overall REI does a great job at managing these issues, but there is always room for improvment. Managment team varies by store and can be hit or miss.

Consider consolidating your staff to increase retention. Lose the employees who are just there for a discount and retain those who want to truly invest in the company.

Amazing place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at REI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great structure, competitive wages, appropriate work/life balance for retail. Solid employee environment. Great benefits.

Cons

None. For retail, by far the best organization in which to work.

Continue to grow from within and identify talent

Best work atmosphere I've been apart of.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, passionate and integrity filled employees.

Cons

Finding more hours. Lots of employees and skilled co-workers.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Good work Environment but Chaotic Scheduling

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with are the greatest part of the job if you like working with people who love the outdoors, everyone enjoys being outdoors and that passion shows in their day to day lives. Schedules are flexible to a reasonable degree if you don't mind losing hours. The healthcare benefits you get are excellent if you can keep them.

Cons

The pay is average for retail but hours are hard to come by at the sales level. You don't have guaranteed hours so if business is bad then you'll find that you're are not working much for a month which means many people often end up working a 2nd job.

REI is the best!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely the best retail job out there. They company has great values! They supports community by giving grants or sponsoring outreach programs. They also are supportive of operating green and conserving the environment! They give you a great discount on all store merchandise as well as comprehensive benefits. They have ample opportunity to advance and a great work environment. The customers are extremely nice to work with because they want your advice! The company takes great care of employees and ensures that everyone has a great work/life balance.

Cons

I have no problems at this moment with the current state of affairs at this place of employment. They seem to have their ducks in a row.

My management team has been extremely helpful, open, and have provided good advice and feedback. They are nailing it!

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Specialist, Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific life-work balance, great people to work with and awesome customers! I worked there for so many years because it was a terrific place to work!

Cons

It was sometimes very hard to get hours depending on the time of year. But that can be expected sometimes from a prt-time retail position.

lovely place to work

Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Arcadia, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Arcadia, CA (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

hourly pay is not bad, but when you add in the part time benefits, it is great....awesome second job.

Cons

difficult to get a lot of hours.....would be hard to live off of the hours you would get here. Full time positions are few and far between.

better listening skills....be honest and straight forward in working with your staff

Sales Specialist

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Bellingham, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Bellingham, WA (US)

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Chill environment to work in, friendly co-workers that make you feel like you're in a family, good discounts

Personally love my co-workers. It is much like a family though and there are times where you may be mad with someone but with most families that is bound to happen. Everyone treats everyone with respect and I like that.

Cons

Horrible hours. I hardly ever get hours which makes it tough to pay the bills and be a college student. I believe they base hours off of membership sales which in my opinion is lame. If you don't get the hours how are you supposed to sell more memberships to get more hours? You basically get stuck in a cycle.

There is a particular manager and he/ she acts more like a tyrant than a leader. People I work with are scared of this person and I think that this is a horrible way to have employee's feel about you. I am not scared of her and he/ she seems to treat me different so my advice, work on the leadership in this store.

Also the management is harsh when you call out for sick reasons. Sorry but I can't really help that I woke up sick this morning.

Overall nice place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time

Pros

Customers tend to be quite friendly and typically excited about upcoming adventures which always makes for a more pleasurable experience. Co-workers are all outdoor enthusiasts which means there are always great stories to share and there's a wealth of knowledge to tap into in the event I run into customer questions I am unable to answer. The company also cares a lot about outdoor stewardship and encourages employees to get outside often. The company is even starting what they call Yay Days which are days where employees will get paid to go out and do their favorite activities (8 hours for full-time employees and 6 hours for part-time).

Cons

Weekly hours are completely dependent upon number of memberships you sell. If you cannot get customers to become members then you will be given very few hours each week. They give you a yearly membership goal which is based on number of hours worked per week and if you are anywhere under 100 percent of your goal then your hours may not be what you'd like. Another huge con is the pay. With over 5 years of retail experience alone the pay should be much better than it is.

I understand that membership sales are important to the company and the membership really is a great thing, but perhaps try not to punish hardworking employees so much just because they cannot convert members. It's one thing to cut the hours of someone who simply doesn't care or try to sell memberships, but to punish those who try hard each day to find new members just seems cruel.

Thoughtful company. Management breakdown.

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at REI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance. Benefits. Pro-deals. Atmosphere. Culture.

Cons

Wage is very low. Signing up Members is required and determines, in part, your salary increase. Store management teams have high turnover due to poor management by VP's.

Make sure HR is checking in with Sup's to enable them to be honest about dealings with Store Managers (SM & at the time, ASM). They get away with an awful lot and can make working for them miserable. Wage increases offered to our staff was embarrassing. A top notch employee getting a .25 increase was a joke.