R.R. Donnelley

Updated 28 January, 2015
2.6

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Career for 28 years learning all business applications.

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people , strong company , good history

Cons

Large company with many levels .

some are excelent , a bit over focused on hitting only financial targets

Listen to your employees - and PAY them!!

Current Employee - GCM in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - GCM in Toronto, ON

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good camaraderie between GCM sites in Canada.
    I have a job.

Cons

Even though Canada is doing well in GCM (Global Capital Markets), only 1% raise in almost 6 years.
    Management is not the least bit interested in receiving input/suggestions on how processes might be improved, hence pretty much NO job satisfaction. Makes one develop a "if they don't care, why should I care?" attitude - I do the best I can in a demoralizing environment for our long-standing customers.
    Communication from management is close to non-existent, except for the quarterly emails from Quinlan which pretty much read like he recycles the same one and changes a sentence or two here and there - to the point where they're not worth reading.
    Benefits are eroding or becoming much more expensive over the years.
    Even though they tout themselves to be technologically innovative, in GCM they're typesetting system (ProFile) is almost embarrassing. When they acquired Bowne & Co. a few years back, who had put a lot of time and money toward developing their typesetting system (ACE), which is far superior to the ProFile system, they turfed ACE and continue to use ProFile with few obvious enhancements to it. Customers often make negative comments on the state of the current typesetting system.

Listen to the workers in their business units. Markets are different depending on what area you're in. Processes may need to be customized to fit the needs of a particular BU - not one size fits all.
    So much improvement could be made without a whole lot of money being spent by giving the employees who know their market and customer's needs the ability to change things up.
    Be more empowering to staff - currently it's a very blame-oriented environment which has created a "cover your behind" work environment. I think they'd be very surprised how much more job satisfaction employees could have if they felt they have the ability to contribute to improving something, without worrying about retaliation if they make a mistake. This could create a very positive snowball effect that would benefit everyone.

No reasonable raise

Current Employee - Front Office in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Front Office in Toronto, ON

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have good benefits that were in place before we were bought out by R.R. Donnelley. Our company is financially solid and profitable.

Cons

We were told that the company doesn't ignore staff as far as reward for performance but that is not the case. After many years of no increases under the CGX umbrella they insulted us with a 1% increase. This is a huge disincentive to keep good people employed in the company and working hard to maintain the profits. If we are losing income to inflation year after year we soon become disheartened and no longer wish to contribute beyond what is absolutely necessary to avoid dismissal.

If you value your professional staff you need to ensure they are compensated for helping the company bring in a good profit to keep the investors happy!

No future for this org

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People and overall environment is pretty relaxed - typically manufacturing front office environment -

Cons

Benefits non existent, job ops and succession planning not there - Dying industry with minimal innovation - Poor upper management

Cutting to survive is not a good strategy - must invest in the future of the company and employees to see sustainable growth and profits

An experience that has exposed me to a new field of printing

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The diversity of the company and the many services it offers makes it a strong competitor in a very sensitive market.

Cons

The size and structure of the company makes decision-making a very slow process. The absence of on-going skills training and cross company pollination at ground level creates contentment in the job function and stuns professional growth.

Think twice about employment at RRD

Former Employee - Typesetting Specialist in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Typesetting Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of any as there aren't any.

Cons

Large conglomerate that knows nothing about financial print; recently acquired premiere financial printer Bowne and decimated its client base.

Hire some people who have experience in financial print. Update typesetting system to 21st century technology.

xx

Former Employee - Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

My performance was recognized by senior management which lead to career advancement and promotions.

Cons

Layoffs have become a common occurrance and therefore you never felt secure. No initiatives offered and employee morale has been down for several years. The corporate culture has changed to one with zero focus on employee development/growth, and one that is focused solely on the bottom line. Nepotism is apparent.

Invest in your employees. Happy employees are productive employees.

Do not recommend

Current Employee - Bindery Machine Operator in West Lancaster, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Bindery Machine Operator in West Lancaster, PA (US)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Nothing honestly there is no insensitive to working here.

Cons

benefits are horrible
    employees morale is at an all time low
    management does not care about its employees
    manufacturing for your lucky to have one weekend a month off
    closing half the plant and letting people go but keeping all management

Depressing

Former Employee - DGT in Elgin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - DGT in Elgin, IL (US)

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Depressing company to work for. Their basic HR strategy is making their employees feel worthless. Less and less benefits each year. We've been given 1% pay-raise across the board the last few years. Managers are clueless; basically foremen. Worst employee morale I've ever encountered, half the people should be on suicide watch.

Cons

Working here will make you appreciate all those other jobs you thought were depressing and dehumanizing.

Have a little soul.

Best job

Former Employee - Press Opertor in Visalia, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Press Opertor in Visalia, CA (US)

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great, miss them all.

Cons

If you can't say anything good don't say anything at all.

None