R.R. Donnelley

Updated 26 February, 2015
2.6

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Career for 28 years learning all business applications.

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people , strong company , good history

Cons

Large company with many levels .

some are excelent , a bit over focused on hitting only financial targets

Poor Leadership !

Former Employee - Customer Account Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Account Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Company seems profitable. If you have a staff position you will probably have job for 10 years at least.

Cons

No motivation. Company has the same outlook for the last 20 years going no where fast! No visible minorities in senior leadership. This is surprising as RR Donnelley lost a discrimination case years ago in the U.S. You would think they would have changed "their white is right" philosophy by now.
    The new president in Canada is no different from the previous. He surrounds himself with his own "old boys" club.

Get some new blood. Change your market focus from print to data management. Transition to content management and the company may have a future. Treat your people better( very simple). It time also to get rid of the old guard and their mind set and arrogance.

Listen to your employees - and PAY them!!

Current Employee - GCM in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - GCM in Toronto, ON

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good camaraderie between GCM sites in Canada.
    I have a job.

Cons

Even though Canada is doing well in GCM (Global Capital Markets), only 1% raise in almost 6 years.
    Management is not the least bit interested in receiving input/suggestions on how processes might be improved, hence pretty much NO job satisfaction. Makes one develop a "if they don't care, why should I care?" attitude - I do the best I can in a demoralizing environment for our long-standing customers.
    Communication from management is close to non-existent, except for the quarterly emails from Quinlan which pretty much read like he recycles the same one and changes a sentence or two here and there - to the point where they're not worth reading.
    Benefits are eroding or becoming much more expensive over the years.
    Even though they tout themselves to be technologically innovative, in GCM they're typesetting system (ProFile) is almost embarrassing. When they acquired Bowne & Co. a few years back, who had put a lot of time and money toward developing their typesetting system (ACE), which is far superior to the ProFile system, they turfed ACE and continue to use ProFile with few obvious enhancements to it. Customers often make negative comments on the state of the current typesetting system.

Listen to the workers in their business units. Markets are different depending on what area you're in. Processes may need to be customized to fit the needs of a particular BU - not one size fits all.
    So much improvement could be made without a whole lot of money being spent by giving the employees who know their market and customer's needs the ability to change things up.
    Be more empowering to staff - currently it's a very blame-oriented environment which has created a "cover your behind" work environment. I think they'd be very surprised how much more job satisfaction employees could have if they felt they have the ability to contribute to improving something, without worrying about retaliation if they make a mistake. This could create a very positive snowball effect that would benefit everyone.

No reasonable raise

Current Employee - Front Office in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Front Office in Toronto, ON

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have good benefits that were in place before we were bought out by R.R. Donnelley. Our company is financially solid and profitable.

Cons

We were told that the company doesn't ignore staff as far as reward for performance but that is not the case. After many years of no increases under the CGX umbrella they insulted us with a 1% increase. This is a huge disincentive to keep good people employed in the company and working hard to maintain the profits. If we are losing income to inflation year after year we soon become disheartened and no longer wish to contribute beyond what is absolutely necessary to avoid dismissal.

If you value your professional staff you need to ensure they are compensated for helping the company bring in a good profit to keep the investors happy!

No future for this org

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People and overall environment is pretty relaxed - typically manufacturing front office environment -

Cons

Benefits non existent, job ops and succession planning not there - Dying industry with minimal innovation - Poor upper management

Cutting to survive is not a good strategy - must invest in the future of the company and employees to see sustainable growth and profits

An experience that has exposed me to a new field of printing

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The diversity of the company and the many services it offers makes it a strong competitor in a very sensitive market.

Cons

The size and structure of the company makes decision-making a very slow process. The absence of on-going skills training and cross company pollination at ground level creates contentment in the job function and stuns professional growth.

Think twice about employment at RRD

Former Employee - Typesetting Specialist in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Typesetting Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of any as there aren't any.

Cons

Large conglomerate that knows nothing about financial print; recently acquired premiere financial printer Bowne and decimated its client base.

Hire some people who have experience in financial print. Update typesetting system to 21st century technology.

xx

Former Employee - Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

My performance was recognized by senior management which lead to career advancement and promotions.

Cons

Layoffs have become a common occurrance and therefore you never felt secure. No initiatives offered and employee morale has been down for several years. The corporate culture has changed to one with zero focus on employee development/growth, and one that is focused solely on the bottom line. Nepotism is apparent.

Invest in your employees. Happy employees are productive employees.

I loved working at this company.

Former Employee - Stock Handler in Mendota, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Handler in Mendota, IL (US)

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had seniority, I had perfect attendance awards many years in a row, and it was a great place to work until they shut the doors on us.

Cons

Some of the people were difficult to work with but I learned to get around that.

When you are closing a place, give the employees more time to prepare for being unemployed.

By no means a perfect company, but it is adequate.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a big name corporation, and it looks pretty good on a resume. Depending on the plant / job site, managers and coworkers are an absolute delight to work with. Employee benefits are fairly decent as well.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are pretty non-existent, and, as was in my case, there is definitely such a thing as a glass ceiling. Raises are pretty minute as well. Rising healthcare costs and general costs of living far out-weigh our wage increases.

Consider creating positions that aren't so expansive, so as to promote better growth. Invest more in the employee, offering more substantial wage increases in an effort to compensate for rising healthcare and costs of living.

R.R. Donnelley Photos