Quidel Reviews

Updated 16 August, 2014

2.9

Quidel President, CEO, and Director Doug Bryant
Doug Bryant

Great place to build your career

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Quidel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent training. Pleasant colleagues and extremely professional. The company was very efficient with manufacturing, customer service and technical support.

Cons

Quidel has burned some bridges with distributors. They no longer have all of the contracts and positive relationships that they used to have. They have had high employee turnover in the last five years.

Good middle management, questionable upper management

Former Employee - R&D Temp  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - R&D Temp in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Quidel as a contractor

Pros

Middle management is very knowledgeable, passionate, and helpful. Culture is fast-paced but casual so it still feels relaxed. Company is trying to innovate.

Cons

Bloated upper management and questionable hiring decisions.

Overall good company, but they need to hire better managers .....

Former Employee - Lab Associate  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lab Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Quidel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

helpful co-workers, and salary was good...

Cons

Training methods needs work, promotions are few...

Be non-biased, and listen to your employees....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internal struggle of New vs Old

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Quidel full-time

Pros

About 98% of the individual contributors are open to new things, competent, dedicated, and stable. The company is coming into the 21st century with its technology and experiencing some exciting growing pains. I'm holding onto its stock. Salary and benefits are decent.

Cons

The site has expanded and now the "grunts" are in the old building and the "favorites" are in a nice new one. The lack of collaboration is only going to get worse with the distance. There's a tendency for veteran employees (>10 years) to prevent the integration of new employees (<5 years) and their ideas for improvement/change. There is a marked incentive for keeping things the same as they were in the 90s. Luckily, the CEO is relatively new to the company so there's hope for evolution.

Consider how the internal politics affects the larger picture of the direction the CEO is trying to take the company.

I would go back if I could, definitely the benchmark company that I compare others to now

I have been working at Quidel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, understanding middle managers, great products, excellent outlook.

Cons

Not much growth unless you are one of the "favorites".

Be more proactive with rewarding top talent.

They don't care about their employees at all

I have been working at Quidel

Pros

I rarely had to work overtime as a scientist which was a perk. Other than that it sucked.

Cons

Corporate does not care about its employees. Very hard to climb the corporate ladder.

Give more incentive to work here.

Good place to work but don't trust HR

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Quidel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My peers are fabulous and hardworking as long as management is not pitting us against each other.

Cons

No clear picture of the future and too many "chefs" in the kitchen. Instead of departments working together they all bad mouth one another and don't help each other. Quidel is a mid size company run as a small company with many people performing multiple functions. If they all played nicely and worked together it would be a fantastic company.

Give your employees some job security. Everyone is afraid of being the next Santa Clara and having their entire department or all of manufacturing not just all of SPG being moved to Ohio where labor is cheaper and doesn't ask so many questions.

I have been working at Quidel

Pros

Some truly excellent people work for Quidel. The diversity of backgrounds and experiences people have before they come to this company is amazing; you will definitely gain valuable work experience here, and that is all.

Cons

Employees with bachelor's degrees in molecular biology and chemistry are making less on the hour than local cashiers at Kroger. The pay is substandard when compared to any other biotech company. Raises, when given, are laughable unless you happen to be employed in senior management.

If salary weren't already an issue, employees may find a reason to go elsewhere anyway. Quidel does not care about their employees. People live in fear of being fired at a moment's notice. I have heard several employees referring to their work lives by saying, "You just never know about this place," and "We're always walking on eggshells." Employees will not talk about their salaries to one another because it is a known fact that employees with comparable education and experience are hired at differing rates of pay. Quidel has fired employees for discussing salary with one another.

Recently, they "released" scientists in the research and development department (who had been stellar employees for 5 years) without so much as a day's notice while keeping an employee in the manufacturing department on in spite of a write up for harassment, even with a history of harassment allegations and after referral to anger management counseling.

If Quidel ever hopes to keep the talent they initially attract, this culture of totalitarianism, insecurity and favoritism cannot continue. With a business model based on respect and loyalty to employees as well as customers, the company could be one of the most promising in the world today. As it stands, the environment for employees in the manufacturing, research, and quality control departments, where the actual work is done, is shameful.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Process Group Chemist  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Process Group Chemist in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Quidel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are the best asset the company has. Very easy to work with most other employees. Plenty of opportunities to grow as long as you apply yourself and work hard; don't expect advancement to be handed to you. Pay is comparable to other biotechs.

Cons

Some empoloyees are very difficult to work with: sacrificing practicality for pride/ego, ignoring/deflecting responsibilities, being disruptive with petty problems, etc.

For your sake, hope you're in Senior Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Quidel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people do work here and make some good products. There are a few exceptional people who hold this place together.

Cons

Senior Management continues to blatantly communicate that the "haves" play by different rules than the "have nots."
    Organization is top heavy more often than not.
    Internal advancement is available so long as you are willing to be grossly underpaid.
    HR is NOT looking out for you. Questionable tact in difficult situations.
    "The help" feels the effects of leadership team mistakes.
    Actual quote from CEO when informing company of no bonus payout a few years ago: "...I told my wife she's not getting a new BMW this year." Right. That makes it ok then.

Doug, you are a very sharp guy, and I do think the vision for the company is solid. However, there needs to be more focus given to restoring a positive culture. People do not like coming to work here anymore. You can only go to the whip so many times without positive feedback.

Worked for Quidel? Contribute to the Community!