Qualcomm Reviews

3.9
1,588 Reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, stable company, great sense of contribution to the world (in 103 reviews)

• Good chance to work on latest and cutting edge technology (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 93 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Probably the best company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Support Engineer, Senior  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Support Engineer, Senior in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Qualcomm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I think that the positive things about working for Qualcomm were the outstanding benefits package (free medical, dental and optical insurance), great pay, plenty of opportunity for advancement, excellent in house training and education benefits The working environment was stimulating in that there were always new projects in the pipeline so that you never got bored working on the same thing constantly.

Cons

The workload there was incredible and there never seemed to be enough time in the day or enough people to get it done although we all seemed to manage to get through it.

Great benefits for interns - however you may experience long hours/boring work depending on team

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Worked as a Software Engineering Intern in their R&D department this summer. They have a really good internship program (rated top 5 in the tech industry or something) with great benefits. They pay well, and provide housing really close to the campus. Also the HR department organizes ample events to keep interns busy on weekends (beach days, bonfires, etc). Workwise, the R&D department seems to be have the most talent in the company - my coworkers all had Masters/PhD which made me feel out of place.

Cons

Some of my friends in QCT (their commercial division) complained about long hours or boring projects (they'd just spend their summer writing test cases). Personally I enjoyed my project so I guess it totally depends on the team.

Also for R&D, to join fulltime they require you to interview again at the end of your internship. Just a heads up.

Give more choices to interns on what teams they want (I was just assigned a team randomly, I think I just got lucky).

Best company to work for in the wireless field, but can be much better.

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than a year

Pros

good compensation and benefits, decent company culture and events, great seminars and classes to learn, good education reimbursement plan. Twice a year reviews.

Cons

no real mentors in Qualcomm Atheros. You are on your own. Not a good place to start career(my group....can't say about others).

Managers are lazy and don't feel like role models. They just wanna work 9 to 5 and play golf.

Fire dead woods. Have hired too many people for no reason. And in Qualcomm Atheros many people are just marking time. Many people leave early by 3 PM and have no real desire to innovate at workplace. Matrix system sucks! Direct managers have no idea what you're up to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Compay

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Qualcomm is a flexible and interesting company to work for. Typically work is fun with opportunities for learning, travelling and taking on new challenges.

Cons

Often open offices are used (benefit for some I guess) and depending on which location you are in opportunities for switching projects or advancement may be limited.

No complaints

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

Good salary, benefits, love the people

Cons

work-life balance, no part time or flexible schedules

Lots of benefits, but withering company politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Qualcomm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salary is more than competitive; bonuses and stock RSUs plus great health insurance make it a very positive financial experience. They are just so-so on paying for training outside of specific programs offered internally. There are company gyms with 24 hour access, free of charge, sprinkled around the various 40+ buildings on the campus.

Cons

The company politics are ridiculous. I often told people that if I wrote a book of exactly what happened each day, without embellishing or changing any of it, then took it to a book publisher and tried to sell it as non-fiction, they would laugh me out of the office. Some of the butt-kissing episodes, temper tantrums by senior executives and turf wars would be out of place at a children's pre-school.

Break down the walls. Start rewarding people for real accomplishments as opposed to who kisses the best butt. Make promotions are more legitimate exercise. I could go on for another twenty pages...

Restructure the pyramid, remove aging leadership

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to learn a variety of skills, good job security so far. Compensation is good, insurance great, senior executives are wise industry leaders. Very hard working employees, amazing talent pool.

Cons

Some divisions and projects are run poorly. Mid-management is rather weak, lack foresight and aging non-contributing managerial positions are leading a half checked out semi-retired life.

Its hard for a company to continue to be nimble with such a massive number of managerial roles (VP, Directors, Snr. Directors, Principals & Snr Staff/Managers) and not young blood for driving innovation, ideas and execution.Every person has to be an individual contributor and not just "manage people" and be slave drivers. This is clearly reflected in the dropping work life balance, company outlook and job satisfaction metrics across the years. Schedules can be met if the high earning managerial class is made to work equally hard as the lower stratum engineers. A good par of mid-management is lack luster and needs to be shown the door.

Senior

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Clear processes given for each job description. Process driven environment.

Cons

Processes are not effective or efficient. Micromanagement is the norm. Bureaucracy amongst management hinders growth on all levels. Many long time employees do not work or show up for work because they are "already in the system" and their friends lie and say that they are at work even though they are gone for the day. Double standards for people who kiss up to management, regardless of work product.

Focus on performance and treat everyone equally. Create room for growth.

Xx

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Benefits leadership company values training

Cons

work schedule promotions salary compensation

Fun internship, not much substance

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance, Cutting edge work (if you're lucky enough to be assigned to it)

Cons

Tend not to take interns seriously, often projects are found last minute

Take your interns more seriously (in terms of assigning them meaningful work)

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!