Qualcomm

3.9 1,266 reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf

Steve Mollenkopf

1,266 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, stable company, great sense of contribution to the world"
    in 84 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, Great People, Great Challenges - Innovation"
    in 108 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard to strike a good work/life balance if you want to keep advancing"
    in 74 reviews
  • "I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases"
    in 64 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It'a good company

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsYou'll have better work/life balance.

ConsI didn't like my supervisor so I chosen to leave.

Great company for engineers, bad place for marketing or brand professionals

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat employee benefits, good technology.

ConsThe company is a technology company that listens to its engineers but does not understand to listen to marketing or brand professionals it hires. When plans don't work they lay off entire divisions and the marketing folks are AWOL. I have many friends who lost jobs due to the company's treatment of marketing professionals, who they place no value on. Qualcomm does not understand or value marketing, brand, sales - it's a technology company.
Many divisions are started by FOP (Friends of Paul (Jacobs) inexperienced senior management, who have no experience in marketing or branding, and come up with their own marketing ideas, fail to properly fund, follow through or persist with the marketing or brand campaigns, don't listen to the marketing experts, and then fold the division when the sales don't work out. Then they fire the marketing staff, start all over again with a new product and do the same mistakes: complete lack of consumer insight.
They know technology, not consumers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to what you know - engineering and stop the pretend marketing games.

Varies By Group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Qualcomm full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits. Lots of opportunities for training on site. Keeps up with technology trends. I like the culture's values and events the company tries to push but not every group behaves like that.

ConsManagement requirements vary widely among managers. Some will allow working from home and will provide work loads that result in normal working hours. Others will push for a lot of on-site overtime. Qualcomm seems to have a lot of head count one year and little in another year which can make it difficult to transfer if you dislike your situation during a lean year.

Felt like there were too many people on projects for the scope of work. Made it difficult to own things and provide a meaningful contribution. The projects I was on seemed to move really slowly and my management often blamed the PM for this. We had PMs rotate on and off a lot and quit in this environment. Only one of them stayed with the company for more than a yea but this person found a way to transfer.

For some reason, rarely saw people promoted past staff level if they came in at a lower level such as senior. This was even among people there for more than 5-10 years. Many other companies you can work your way up higher in that timeframe.

Qualcomm - A chipset technical leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Qualcomm

ProsCulture is technical oriented . Encouragement for inventions

ConsPicky on documentations, high hours to push thing close by deadline

Good

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsBecause they treat you very well as part of the intern ship program. they also provide you with a lot of benefits

ConsNot the right kind of work. The project is not setup before hand and it takes time to settle on a project and then theres not enough time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood

Been here a long time

I have been working at Qualcomm

ProsCompensation, review process, and my manager

Constypical business politics that you would probably see anywhere

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Learn and Grow or you will be miserable

Staff Verification Engineer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing Work Culture and Great Career Opportunities at Qualcomm. For semiconductor industry, I would rate this as the best company to work for, especially if you are ASIC design/verification or hardware engineer. Awesome Benefits, pretty much cover everything. The Engineering talent we have is 2nd to none, but comes with a Caveat, you will have to keep up with the best. Training and Classes of all sorts for learning, or just go and stand in any engineer's office (make an apt tho) and they will spend hours sharing their knowledge. Qualcomm has the best engineers who will help you learn and grow! People here love what they do, and usually if you even have like a 50% interest in what you are doing, you will really enjoy working at Qualcomm. Generous vacation policy and work policy is pretty flexible as long as you get the job done.

ConsFirst couple of years are the toughest and you should be ready to work crazy hours, but once you are up to speed, it gets easier and you can dictate your schedule. Expectations will be high, but with all the help available, you should be fine. If you want to grow you will have to take the initiative as Qualcomm thrives on personal responsibility. If you do not drive your growth, you will not enjoy working here and will be miserable soon enough. Like with any big organization, there is cross-functional politics but usually engineers are spared from most of the carnage. Work hours can get quite out of whack because lot of work is done across sites around the world. Lots of meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring thousands of contractors, why not attract select senior level engineers and develop the Intellectual property. Currently, I see lots of good engineers working as Contractors and then leaving for better opportunities. I understand contractors are needed for payroll flexibility but I feel Qualcomm is now over doing it.

Good place to learn

Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than a year

ProsWork on cutting edge technologies. Salary is very good. People are very skilled and intelligent. Flexible working hours.

ConsWork pressure is high, especially during project deadlines. Very few opportunities for recreation like games.

Great Internship! Would do again 10/10

IT Intern (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Qualcomm full-time for less than a year

ProsWorked residential IT prior to the internship, was placed in a technical position and started learning how to support an enterprise. Personally, I had great management support and felt I was placed in the right area.

ConsThere are a lot of meetings with different groups of people. It can be extremely hard to follow someone not in your line of expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT departments are hesitant to make an offer after an internship, unlike other areas.

Great atmosphere and culture

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are great, environment is conducive to an atmosphere of innovation. Lots of different, exciting areas to work in as Qualcomm branches out. Management is generally very flexible, and there are many on site perks.

ConsNot many cons... Perhaps make it less of hassle to contribute to open source projects? But even that is getting better, slowly but surely. The cafeteria on main campus is good, but not great.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Qualcomm reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf. All 1,266 reviews are posted anonymously by Qualcomm employees.