PwC Reviews in San Jose, CA

5,190 Reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz
Robert Moritz
1,077 Ratings

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 254 reviews)

• PwC is a good place to start out if you are coming right from college (in 127 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance does not exist as much as they say they are still working on it (in 891 reviews)

• Long hours that often keep me at the office or working from home late at night (in 849 reviews)

More Highlights

142 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great firm, but some changes on the horizon are terrible

Current Employee - Advisory Director in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Advisory Director in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot about the firm that is great. It is a great culture that values collaboration (below the partner level), that truly values diversity of its employees, and that is very collegial. The Advisory business has grown significantly over the past 5 years since reconstituting a consulting arm with the acquisition of BearingPoint, followed by other large acquisitions of PRTM, Diamond and most recently Booz & Company (Strategy& - which is, actually, a dumb name for a company that garners eye rolls and open chuckling among the staff). The firm has also made smaller tuck in acquisitions as well to fill in small, but important strategic capabilities such as Ants Eye View (for social marketing, social media strategy, and social listening), and BGT (for digital marketing agency work).

It is a place where you can build a great career if you can deliver great work, excel at networking across the firm, and can build partner support. Exceptional employees are the "average" here, so if you aren't knocking it out of the park all the time then you can expect to only be rated in the middle of the pack, and receive nominal raises and performance bonuses.

It has a strong brand in the market. The firm's latest brand health index rated it at the top of the other "big 4" firms (Deloitte, KPMG, and EY) as well as other non-audit/tax firms like Accenture. The Strategy& acquisition added significant strategy consulting capability to position PwC to compete with the likes of BCG, Bain & McKenzie (who have little to no post strategy execution capabilities...meaning they are good at telling you what to do, but aren't really able to stick around to help you do it).

Bob Moritz (Senior Partner) and Miles Everson (Advisory Leader) are great leaders who do a good job at inspiring staff to provide great, differentiating client service. They are personable, approachable, and genuine (if they are not, then they deserve an Oscar for their performances - oh, wait, we audit the Oscars...maybe a Tony then). They have a strong vision for how we will shift the firm to a global operating model over the next few years (today, we are a collection of member firms with each territory representing its own firm structure) which will enable us to better serve our clients, most of which operate globally today.

All in all, it is a place that I am proud to work at.

Cons

As noted by many, and as inferred by by comment around individual performance above, if you want to get ahead here you WILL work your rears off. Late nights and weekends, with minimal complaining, are the norm for those who are successful. The firm has tried to add in concepts of "flexibility" into our work force - but that is generally ignored in practice by those people actually delivering client work (great thought, poor execution).

I know that many complain about what they see as the professional equivalent of "sweat shop rates" when it comes to compensation - but I honestly think that is over blown. Sure everyone would love to make more money, but you can make 6 figures as a Senior Associate and almost $300K as a Director PLUS bonus...so, to me, the pay issue falls on deaf ears. The one area that I think we could really improve on is in the area of our 401K matching percentage which is currently $0.25 on the dollar up to 6% of your contribution. Many of our industry clients match dollar for dollar, so quarter for dollar is a bit of a slap in the face.

The technology that we use as practioners, for the most part, is terrible with the exception of some of our new web enabled tools for pricing engagements and managing engagement economics. For the last few years there have been many hints and encouragements that we would be replacing the much hated Lotus Notes (that's right boys and girls, we are still using the best of 1990s technology for email and calendaring). There was a great deal of excitement and buzz in the firm - until we were told that we would not be moving to the standard...Microsoft Outlook. Instead - we are "Going Google". So, not only are we replacing one terrible system with another, we are not actually getting rid of Lotus Notes at all because 1) the Federal practice can't use gMail (the Feds won't certify the security of gMail's cloud) 2) certain accounts (like Microsoft) won't allow the use of Google products (Microsoft was so angry that they lost the replacement of Lotus Notes that we almost completely lost the account), and 3) the rest of the global firm won't be switching. So we will be having to manage two separate email accounts and will be forced to use the terrible Google Docs over what everyone else in the world uses and likes - Microsoft Office. Why did we select Google, one might ask. The answer varies based on who you ask. Some say it is because Google's cloud based tools will allow us to work in ways that we can't today for collaborating on the creation of documents and through Google's "Hang Outs"...this is ridiculous because Google's user experience is horrible (else, Microsoft would be losing market share to them in spades), and Microsoft already has the standard for collaboration through Link and Jive. Some say it is because Google's cloud based services provide a lower total ownership cost - which is also ridiculous because Microsoft has Office 365 available through the cloud with Azure. Some say it is because our technology isn't cool which is impacting our ability to attract talent on campus - which is the most ridiculous reason of all because who really joins a company because they can have a gMail account? Also, I'm honestly not sure how we will be expected to use these fabulous tools in an offline capacity when we don't have internet connectivity (such as on a plane that is not equipped with WiFi).

The firm is also replacing its current performance management system (and process for handing out annual performance ratings and subsequent merit increases and performance bonuses) with a new system called the PwC Professional. Basically, they are replacing a tried and true system of documenting written performance feedback (which is good for not only developing people but also for serving as a record of what people don't do well in the event an adverse action needs to be taken against an employee) with a mobile app that captures a rating against five dimensions and which replaces written feedback with oral feedback that has no memory and no record. The "coach" who used to be responsible for representing their "coachees" at the Annual Review Committee time now has almost no role in the performance outcome of their staff displaced by the "relationship partner" who has responsibility now to personally know each and every staff member that they represent so that they can represent them to the other partner only "performance roundtable" discussions. Partners today have very little time for junior staff, let alone demonstrated interest in their individual careers. So now, a process that was cumbersome but was overly fair (you could only talk about things during ARC time that were documented - if it wasn't documented it was if it never happened and you had at least one person who knew you and advocated for you in the room when your performance was being discussed in the form of your Coach) and very transparent is being replaced with the equivalent of a papal conclave supported by a popularity contest. Additionally, this mobile app (Performance Snapshots), only requires commentary if a staff member is not meeting expectations or is partially meeting expectations...so if you are meeting expectations you can't even comment on performance unless you are highlighting a performance differentiator that they only expect less than 50% of staff to have. Lazy reviewers are incentivized through the design of the app to give everyone a meets expectations on all five dimensions and move on. Our attrition rate has been very low for a professional services firm - it will be interesting to see what happens to attrition after the next round of annual reviews using the new PwC Professional.

There are so many good things about this firm, but this obsession with being "different" isn't always good. It is good to differentiate on the things that matter, but you hobble us with terrible technology, put performance measurement systems that are tied to our compensation in place that are nothing more than a popularity contest, and then expect us to work our hinds off for you with big huge smiles on our face. You have not once asked the firm what they think of these new changes in any way that would allow honest, but confidential feedback - because in truth, you don't really want to know. Stop trying to "sell" us on these new tools. You have never had to do that before. When the value is obvious, you will have an entire firm that will support and adopt the changes. Right now it feels like a used car salesman who has to over sell on the paint color to make up for the terrible interior and under powered engine. If you have to do this much selling to get us to use something - is it really THAT good to begin with?

Differentiate on the things that matter - the additions to our capabilities though the amazing acquisitions we have made, the deployment of the value exchange, our positioning with the analyst community, thought leadership that allows us to carry a strong point of view into the market place, the significant investment you make in the training and skill development of staff, the relationships that we build with our clients every day through the amazing work we do. You have a ton of people who are proud to work here and who trust and value you as leaders, but these decisions you are making now make us question whether that trust is well placed.

Core Assurance Intern- Summer

Former Employee - Core Assurance Intern in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Core Assurance Intern in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Lots of fun, you make a lot of friends
    - You are placed in a team with varied levels of experienced associates so you are never left behind.
    - Company name goes a long way
    - Pay is great, overtime is even better
    -You get plenty of mentoring from people within the firm during your internship so you never feel lost or out of place.
    Overall, I had a fantastic experience during my internship and I still stay in touch with the partner and my team. You have to make the most of it!

Cons

I had a wonderful experience but some people were placed in teams where they didn't enjoy their experience as much. However, if you are invited to be a part of the summer intership- they recruiting team and the management makes sure that you are taken care of and enjoy your experience while learning a lot.
    Be prepared to work a lot, but make sure you know your team so you can enjoy it. Rest assured, your summer will be all about your internship (time commitment).

Admin is under-appreciated.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are nice, work is interesting, you can take your lunch and leave on-time, and the pay is ok.

Cons

There is no appreciation of administrative work, even though it is an underlying part of any work that gets done.

Very beneficial to fast track a career

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Best of class compensation
    - Challenging work environment
    - Lots of new projects going on all the time

Cons

- High demands on your time makes have a life outside work hard
    - They put you in feet first and tell you to find your own projects/groups in the company. Not finding anything satisfying has led to lots of Associates leaving before a year.

- Improve ways to help new hires find jobs they like

Great company

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working mother friendly
    smart people
    challenging opportunities

Cons

can be slow to adopt new technology

move faster on adopting new technology

Avoid and go for any other big 4 (Deloitte is great)

Former Employee - Auditor in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Auditor in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at PwC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training- looks good on your resume- get a chance to work with different teams and clients-a lot of resources available

Cons

San Jose office is horrible. As soon as I joined I was working until 2AM including weekends. There is no work life balance. Actually you even destroy yourself and your life as well as your health by being there. They make sure you move from busy client to another busy one. They did not even assign a coach for me and I did not have any coach until I resigned. This office has a very high turnover so every one really leave. May be other offices are better but I had a really bad experience. The first time I met the HR, I was really happy as I wanted to talk to her about my goals and the clients I am interested in, but unfortunately, she said " oh these things you can talk to your coach about and for your schedule you can talk to the scheduler. I just wanted to meet you to say hello". I was really upset as I did not have a coach and she knew that and she did not want to listen to me. She just wanted to say hello. As such I was more than happy to say goodbye .

Please care about your employees. I know revenue is the most important thing for you (achieved by having long hours) but it cost you more when employees leave. Also please change the way you choose your HR

Great place to start your career, then jump.

Former Employee - Advisory Director in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Advisory Director in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is good but oddly is heavily weighted towards salary instead of bonus. If you make friends with partners you will keep a steady stream of work, which is key. You can get as much work and get involved in as many things as you like, which gives you more exposure.

Cons

pwc is an up or out firm, no matter how they try to deny it. The forced grading on a curve ensures that some are forced into ratings that aren't necessarily accurate because they need to meet the arbitrary curve. one of the moments that sticks out to me most: at a director's meeting, an executive got up and talked about how its not important to be home to tuck your kids in bed at night or to be at every soccer game. According to him, being a parent, and what your kids remember are the "milestone moments" like when he rented out the dallas cowboys stadium for his kid's birthday. Sorry- being a parent IS about being there for all the small moments.

pwc will continue to be a fast moving treadmill that people jump on and off of. Sometimes the machine is so big it doesn't matter who is in what spot, its just a job.

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Assurance Intern in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assurance Intern in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PwC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The work is incredibly fast paced and you always feel like you are learning something new. Most people at the firm are very driven and tend to work well with others. The support system given to you is quite robust with employees at various levels who are assigned to you. This gives you a good lookout on your future career, as well as a multitude of advice.

Cons

The hours are very long for some periods each year. While most people at the company are driven many people also want nothing more than to leave to company to find a position in industry. Depending on your team and client your experience can vary greatly.

Consider finding ways to enhance and actually deliver on the "work-life balance" that is often touted by recruiters. The justification of "the first few years of your career are supposed to be like this" is a terrible outlook.

This was the best decision that I in I have in my 25 year career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

PwC is a very structured company and they expect that you will make a difference with the lives and companies that you touch, and you will. You are expected to be human, but excellence is expected. PwC grows their employees and expects you to grown those around you.

Cons

Not to many so far.

Please continue to grown your employees.

Area for development

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunities for training
    - Generous vacation time and sick time
    - Working here looks great on your resume

Cons

- Lack of appreciation for IFS staff
    - Tracking your hours in multiple databases
    - Unrealistic admin to partner ratios (some EAs support 6-7 partners)
    - Compensation is way below SV market but the firm will only compare itself to other Big Fours firms that also pay under market rate
    - No real career growth for IFS and performance management tools are a joke
    - Benefits are so so. You have to pay a deductible for all medical plans which can be challenging for IFS and junior staff that earn modest salaries.

Treat your employees like you would treat your best customer!