Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated 16 August, 2014
Updated 16 August, 2014

2.6

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Choose your attitude when you come to work

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

The opportunity with this company is what you make of it. If you are driven, competitive, able to motivate a team, hold them to a high level of performance and celebrate your victories, you can do very well at Public Storage. I have been here for three years and have enjoyed the opportunity to control my own destiny in the ways of my career path and earnings through competing for higher bonuses. Shame on current employees who are willing to accept a paycheck and turn around and blast the company (this or any) with negative reviews while still working there. If you're not happy, you should look somewhere else.

Cons

It's difficult to see people at tough transitions in their lives. Death, divorce, lost a job or home are common reasons why people need storage. As far as the company culture, I would like to see more incentives and/or contests for our property level teams. They will drive whatever you want driven with incentives attached to them.

The business model is rock solid. I'm happy to work for a company that I know will be there every morning when I wake up. As far as operations, I would like to see a DM committee that could share ideas at a higher level and help our processes evolve at the same speed as our results.

Property Manager

Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager  in  Gaithersburg, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Gaithersburg, MD (US)

Pros

The district managers at this company are hands-on and always there to help.
    The apartment that is offered is great incentive to become property manager.

Cons

Very pushy sales practices. Dealing with irate customers can be very unsafe at times. If I was unable to have a home security system, I would not live on the property. Pay is 9/hr when you are a property manager. If you were to get an off-site apartment and get paid regular, you would even out pretty much the same. Relief Managers rarely work at same location in the district, so there is quite a bit of travel to different locations. The company doesn't like to shell out too much money for maintenance.

Opportunity to Make a Difference at a Top Company

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Glendale, CA (US)

Pros

We are a relatively small team for such a large company, which can make it easier to make a meaningful difference. You do still have to be willing to be creative and to work a bit to stand out. Public Storage also has a family feel at team birthday parties and holiday events. Even the CEO and other execs attend when they are in town. Our smaller, more efficient team also makes for a stronger profit margin and more stable employer, which means a lot to me.

Cons

Though I appreciate our structure and think it's efficient overall, sometimes having fewer peers can have drawbacks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

District Manager is really a manager

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

Pros

Stock when I was hired with a three year vestment. Other than that, as I look back at my two years there I see no pros.

Cons

Although they only hire experienced DMs I found the DMs who had been there the longest where ones who had never worked for a decent company in the past. This job is really a management job where you manage hourly employees who have no authority to make any decisions. The Senior DM is really the DM managing you, the manager.
    Work life balance is the absolute worst and a complete joke. You aRe expected to log in every day to make sure you employees made it to work. This means forget church, workouts, camping with no wifi, etc. God forbid one of your lame hourly employees call in sick at the last minute, show up late for work, or quit and you don't get your property opened up on time. The. An email goes out to every level of mgmt and if you didn't prereport it you are screwed.
    Summers you are expected to work six days a week for about three months with no other compensated day off. You literally have to send in reports several times a day on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays during this time reporting units rented, locks sold, etc. What a joke and another way for them to make your life miserable.
    Car mileage is a joke. I know it is the law but if you don't live near your territory you will be screwed.
    Management--- I don't know where to start. This is the most micro managed company you will ever work for. The CEO and upper management
    have their hand in everything from approvals to pay repairs on dilapidated storage units to 24/ 7 tabs on all their employees. They have huge egos And treat their employees poorly
    The regional meetings are unbelievable. The regional and seniors will literally practice their DM meeting presentations for hours so when the CEO and whoever else decides to attend their meeting, don't chastise them for having a bad meeting. We had a DM once who got fired because the CEO reported her to the rvp that she took her shoes off under the table during the meeting. True story !
    The annual reviews are a complete joke. The RVPs have to spend a week in California presenting their dm reviews to the CEO. What CEO has the time to manage every DM in the company! It is a complete dog and pony show.

I don't know where to stop so I'll stop here. Don't take a job here. It was a complete waste of my time. I was not fired or forced out by any means just got tired of working for such a crappy company

Work life balance! Promote hourlys from within. Treat your management with respect, don't just demand it by scaring them all

Don't get trapped

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

I like working alone for the most part. If you're taking night classes slow days are great to get some studying done.
    Position offers benefits if you can hack it.

Cons

As a Property Manager you have to deal with everything: cleaning, maintenance, customer service; which wouldn't be terrible if the pay was better.
    Safety is a concern, especially as I had someone who came in repeatedly and threatened me, basically saying she was going to keep coming back until she, "get[s] what she want[s]." My DM's position on this was a, "Sucks for you" attitude.
    Same thing goes for when the DM screws up. I had no running water for 2 weeks because someone did not get my backflow inspection done. He ignored notices from the water company for 6 months. Once again, it was a "Sucks for you" attitude. I never had 'drinking water' per say to begin with, but then I was without a sink or a toilet. I had to drive to a shopping center to use the restroom. In the meantime my DM called me constantly on the store phone to make sure I was still there and didn't decide to leave without telling him.
    The company refuses to pay to repair and maintain their properties. I have NO light at my location at night. This has been reported for months, but the company did not like the estimate given by various contractors to repair/replace my lighting.
    I get to deal with the customer complaints on no lights, holes in buildings, rate increases (which are extreme), and now I'm having health problems (so I'm trapped because this is where I get my benefits)
    The sales requirements are ridiculous. It is assumed you are not executing the script properly if you fail to sell a $20 lock to every customer. Most of these people rent their trucks from Uhaul. Same locks for $13.
    It would be nice to get a weekend off every once in awhile without having to fight for it. Only certain employees get all of the days off they want, including 3- and 4-day weekends. I cannot remember the last time I had a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday off.

If you have NEVER worked in an office for what we make, do NOT come in and tell us we are not doing our jobs correctly.
    Pay us what we're worth. The amount of pay is not commensurate to the responsibility.
    Invest in properly maintaining facilities. For how high the rent is and for how much you raise the rent each year, in addition to how much you don't pay your employees, you can afford to PROPERLY repair buildings. Stop slapping half-assed band-aids on everything.

Manager everyones a manager

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Naperville, IL (US)

Pros

you do not have to deal with many customers. And you get to ride a golf cart a lot.

Cons

you get paid 9.50 an hour and never get raises. People go crazy some times on you yelling about there stuff getting ruined or sold at actions. Once a week you have to make over a hundred calls to tell people there rent is due. also no room for upper movement in the company.

if you pay more you will get better talent. and you guys should advertise more the employees cant force people to stop in.

ok job to start

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

Pros

top company in the industry

Cons

not a career just a job

raising the payment to property managers who work hard

Although my incentive compensation was good, the stress of the job was not worth it.

Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA (US)

Pros

Good stock incentive program. The potential bonus incentive helps offset the relatively low base pay. I had a good mentor who was in a similar position. Mentoring is a company best practice.

Cons

Poor working conditions, especially for the hourly Property Managers & Assistant Property Managers. Many times they do not get the opportunity to take 10-minute breaks. The company looks the other way in enforcing that employees get to take their breaks. Many of the self-storage properties do not have breakrooms for the employees. In those situations, the employees may have to eat in their cars, or in the office, which can lead to interuptions when a customer knocks on a locked office door.

For the salaried multi-unit positions, there is absolutely no work-life balance. They have to work 6-7 days a week and even then, find it difficult to stay caught up. Calls are fielded from customers at all hours (evenings & weekends). The company has a practice of eliminating the bottom 25% of employees at each level in the organization chart. It does not matter if you had a good prior year. Your area could have one bad quarter, and your job is at risk.

I had employees threatened by customers and had to work with legal counsel in getting restraining orders. My life was threatened as well by two customers. The self-storage industry is a tough one.

As far as Leadership at the company goes, they do maximize the return of the shareholder., but that comes at a cost. Customer service is poor, customers' rate increases are abundant, repairs at the properties are put off and the working conditions are poor.

My employees and I never saw any communication from Corporate Human Resources. It's the most silent department in the Company.

Look at your employee turnover.

Soulless corporation

Former Employee - Relief Manager
    Former Employee - Relief Manager

Pros

Sometimes there's downtime to read or do homework if it's exceptionally slow, and since they're open 7 days a week, there's more flexibility with scheduling

Cons

Overall poor communication between employees and management
    Robotic sales scripts favored over personality of individuals
    Kickbacks for your managers for everything you sell, but no commission for you
    Properties are in complete disarray, and upper management's solution is to Jimmy rig instead of actually fix anything
    Constant harassment from management about sales numbers and quotas
    Lazy coworkers that are kept around despite their incompetence

Grow a conscience, treat people like humans instead of cash cows.

$91000 Doesn't Even Begin to Compensate

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

Pros

It seems great. Good pay, hours that are bankers hours with only a Monday-Friday work week. Business casual dress and 2 weeks of PTO your first year. Too bad that's not really all accurate.

Cons

Let's be honest. You have multi-unit management experience, you are thinking you want to work for a massive company with growth potential and $75,000 the first year plus a guaranteed $16,000 bonus doesn't sound too bad, right? Wrong. The District Manager position is more like a store manager position anywhere else. You are managing $10 an hour employees and it's 16-25 of them. Most store managers have more direct reports.

For this compensation, you are expected to be on call essentially 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Every morning you need to be up and calling each one of your properties to ensure that each of your $10 an hour "managers" has shown up for work in a timely manner. If they haven't, you need to notify your Vice President boss and find a way to cover that shift or go to the store and open it yourself. A report comes out daily and goes to everyone from the CEO to the District Manager about what property didn't open on time.

If a gate goes down at 9:30 pm and someone is stuck behind, guess who goes? The District Manager. Customer needs in on an emergency after office hours? District Manager. Lock gets stuck on a weekend and it's urgent? Again, District Manager. Someone wants to finally pay their bill before an auction at 6 am? District Manager.

During the summers, it's a mandatory 6 day work week, no compensation or additional time off during the week and no option as to which days those will be. You're expected in the field from 8 am to 6 pm and to still find time to accomplish all your own work of doing mindless reports, reviewing numbers that expectations change daily on and managing your team of under-motivated, poorly paid, high school educated employees. The good news?

There is no personal growth in this company. The leadership is continuously changing and turnover has become so bad it's now part of the bonus metric. Any District Manager worth his weight can find a better job - the ones that tend to stay have come from companies that are sub-par and aren't able to move forward and advance with another company. Public Storage is where they die. District Managers are only hired from the outside and are never promoted from within - great succession planning right?

District Managers are expected to be professional but be on the same comfort level with their hourly managers. Dress code is business casual and is expected even when you are repairing a rolling door, changing a hasp or cutting a lock in 100 plus temperatures or sub-zero ones. There is no quality of life outside this job. If you don't eat, live and breathe Public Storage, you won't make it.

It's about basic greed and corporate manipulation. There is no ethical room to even help anyone. it's a bitter end for anyone who can't pay as an auction is conducted regardless of situation. Your job is to say no, I don't care that you have cancer, don't care that you're getting divorced, don't care that you're dying or that you lost your mother - can't pay today, too bad - it's sold. Public Storage likes to say "We're a compassionate company" but frankly, we aren't. We are a cut throat, money hungry organization that simply is out to make a buck. We raise your rent - pay or get out. There is no flexibility.

My bottom line is that I took this position with another offer on the table. I made the wrong decision. I'm looking now as I'm miserable here and it's a limited market. I've been with 2 big box retailers as a District Manager and never been this micromanaged or abused.

Invest in your employees. Stop micro-managing and worrying about ridiculous things like if managers clock in 8 minutes late. Have some opportunity to advance. Reward the good things that people do rather than managing to the exception. The CEO stated we are a company that "pukes cash", you should put some back in to your people.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!