Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated 27 January, 2015
Updated 27 January, 2015
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok if you want a stable job and don't want to work late nights.

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On site apartments, you work no later than 6pm, you will never have to worry about company layoffs. Public Storage is debt free!!!

Cons

Too many unrealistic expectations from upper management. Could be a better company if they walked a mile in our shoes sometimes....

Try to reach out more to the little people!!! We are the drive train of this company!!!!

It's ok.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

No late nights
    It's a simple job

Cons

No growth and the pay could be better

Invest in your property and relief managers

No opportunity for lateral movement past the Trainer position.

Current Employee - Property Management and Key Training Professional in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Limited supervision- most times you are working alone.
    Customer interaction- you can build great relationships/rapport.
    Trainer- train newly hired District Managers; compensation for training veteran and new hires.
    District Manager- respected and encouraged to do my best and learn.

Cons

New employees are hired in at a higher compensation than the tenured employees.
    Not able to waive a late fee without giving a full explanation and getting approval from upper management.

My advice to upper management is there are qualified and eager Trainers with in the company that are looking to earn the position of District Manager. With the rate the company is growing I feel it would beneficial to Public Storage to open the opportunity to the trainers that are responsible for training the new hired District Managers to possibly earn a Bench District Manager position. We are a great support team for District Managers.

Our best days are ahead of us. A great place to work.

Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I wanted to comment on Public Storage and provide some thoughts as my outlook is very positive. When I am interviewing prospective candidates, a question that I am regularly asked without fail is “What do I like most about the company?” My reply is always the people I work with. Full disclosure, I am in a management position, but whether it’s the property personnel I interact with, DMs, Regional Managers, Corporate Execs or Support, there is a common trait within our organization, and that is we pride ourselves on hard work. Public Storage fosters a strong culture of teamwork and a palpable desire to provide support to each other, at all levels within the organization. For those that are willing to learn, remain challenged and bring their best selves to work each day will do very well here.
    Furthermore, Public Storage is a company that is growing, and that makes this an incredibly dynamic place to work. With strong leadership, very little debt, a keen desire to grow intelligently coupled with the enviable position of the market leader – for all these reasons and more, it reinforces my decision to be here.
    The opportunities are present for hourly employees to take on more challenging roles as well; agreeable full-time hours allow for the opportunity to go to school and a high quality of life; and on-site apartments allow living accommodations in desirable markets. For District Managers, with our incredible growth, comes the opportunity to move into higher-level positions with increased responsibility. In short, Public Storage presents a very dynamic environment that will reward those who are willing to learn and put in the time and effort.
    Are we perfect? No. But few organizations are. Is it a place work making a living or building a career? Absolutely.

Cons

We are growing and with change comes discomfort at times. But the fact that we are willing to look at how we operate and reassess our business, this I view as very positive. A stable, veteran CEO, a dynamic COO, excellent Executive Leaders, a thoughtful HR team, plus a workforce that is for the most part highly engaged, all help to keep our company pointed in the right direction.

Continue to act with integrity and continue to foster the development of people at all levels.

So far, ok experience

Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, depending on the location you work at, the customers are nice too.

Cons

Having to drive to multiple locations. Pay is not enough based on what you do.

Property Manager.

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a job, if your goal is to live at your job this is a job for you.

Cons

Working 9-6 daily, Always short staff, Drills sales down your throat,NO RAISES!!, you actually get paid least as a property manager.. No room for growth, Does not support employees in school. Bonus program is a no go!

Give field employees raises! They are the face of this company. Nobody truly enjoys working for you guys. You could care least about your employees or customers for that matter!

Unfriendly!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Conveniently located to a train station. Benefits and salary for corp. employees are pretty good.

Cons

The CEO has his fingers all over this company. No decisions are made without him knowing the situation. Executives feel their skills are not utilized as a result. For any employee, beware of politics. Within my first week there, a mid-level manager came to my office and warned me himself to be careful; I learned from The Godfather, and stayed away from him too. But he was right; the corp. employees are not very friendly nor are they very nice. If you can just do your job and go home, you'll be fine.

Be ware too, that to take a holiday day off (e.g. 4th of July), you have to accumulate time like you would for a sick day or vacation day.

Let your executives do their jobs. Be better to your employees.

Easy job, nad if u have a family

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

The pay is good for the easy work you do.

Cons

If you have a family you can forget ever seeing them. The hours are not flexible. And you will always work weekends.

Listen to employees, who actually work at the locations.

Public Storage is a great place to work, IMO.

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Ive been working for public storage for some time now, and i cant say i relate to the reviews im seeing on here. From the beginning, the SDM who hired me has been very confident in my abilities. He has shown me much encouragement & continously gives me props for what i do. My DM is absolutely phenomenal. He listens to my every need and responds to every text message and call almost immediately. He also gives me a sense of security, he lets me know hes here for me and hes got my back. I dont know if its the region im in, but in my district we work as a team. I couldnt be happier. For those complaining about numbers and scripts, we are SALES people. Of course theyre going to expect good numbers from us!

Cons

Having to work every weekend lol , but of course you know this will be required from the moment you are interviewed. If youre going to complain about it, just dont take the job.

Reward the SDMs and DMs who actually try to work with their team as a family. They are also put under much pressure. Employees should be able to review their managers so you can see past the numbers.