Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

www.pscu.org
  www.pscu.org

Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) Reviews

Updated 27 July, 2014
Updated 27 July, 2014
2.4

David Maus

A great organization to work for, but always room to grow.

Current Employee - Financial Service Consultant  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Service Consultant in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time for more than a year

Pros

It may seem odd, but you need to have passions to work here. Passion for people, for helping them, for their best interest. At PSCU, members come first. When you can really, truly believe that, and not just make it about a paycheck, THAT is when the bottom line is met. The base pay is excellent, the yearly bonus is quite nice for Christmas time, and the benefits are so much better than anywhere I have ever worked.

Cons

Different personalities working together in one department every day can, and will inevitably cause drama. Communication across the credit union is an issue. Everyone seems to have a different answer. It's not that PSCU upper management doesn't try to be consistent; but it takes more than a PSA or update to our Intranet to make sure we are all on the same page, literally.

Support the branches! We are more or less forced to deal with a lot of things that should be handled by back office. We are the face of the credit union and we need your support to be successful. Communication is vital among management and staff. Listen to your employees' needs, wants, goals, and help them reach those!

Good people in General

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-I myself did have a good experience at the Credit union, but it was mostly because I was in a good department. I happened to be covering for women on maternity leave, and when she came back my contract ended.
    I happened to have a good boss; and for the most part I appreciated what she did, as well as the time she took out of her busy schedule to meet with our group to explain to us our latest assignments. I hope the customer membership relations group is doing well, as they are underappreciated for the amount of work that they do. Not to mention, their patience in training somebody new.
    I was happy when my contract ended as I knew that there were issues both with my own training as well as my receptivity to learning something new in a timely manner.

Cons

- A lot of micromanagement.
    -they have no problem speaking poorly of their employees behind their backs but in front of other employees.
    -Even during interviews, I have seen managers walk out of the interview, laughing about the interviewee. Saying such things as “and she thought she would get hired?”
      -Multiple individual’s complaints of customers, for different reasons. This goes to prove that either customers are irresponsible, and or/ the credit union itself practices is not that different than a regular bank.
     Credit Unions as much as they claim to be different from other banks, are really just hiding underneath this name, to sound as they are working for the community, in some way shape or form. If you have any doubts as to what I am saying please just look at your fee schedule, and ask yourself how much different those rates are then a normal bank (you’ll realize they are actually not that different.

We'll my advice to management would be to simply make sure that if you are going to speak Poorly; of an employee right after they have been interviewed or just got out of training class make sure you don't do it in front of the men's bathroom. As the old saying goes “walls have ears".

No real advice for the group that I worked for (member relationship services). I myself would have been a lot kinder in reversing some of the fees that seemed dignified. It’s a shame, when people lose money that they work hard for to banks (any bank), in any way shape or form.
    It was a situation that I knew would end; and I do appreciate the time that I got to spent there. Although expectations seemed to be unrealistic to a certain degree: e.g.: “call everybody who has fraud on their card”; would drive anybody nuts.
    I knew that the department was simply doing what they could with a small staff (and was probably under budgeted). As I was leaving I did hear that the bank did finally acquire a Fraud monitoring department, (which they definitely needed). Again, I hope everybody in this group is doing well.
    They know who I am...

Horrible

Former Employee - Teller  in  Fort Collins, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Fort Collins, CO (US)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) part-time for more than a year

Pros

Only good thing I experienced working here for two years was the people I worked with, which changed after my manager got fired. Staff changed quickly, mostly everyone quit because the new manager was extremely incompetent.

Cons

Incompetent managers. Upper management could care less about you, all they want is for you to refer, and you don't get anything for meeting your goals, just a "good job" email. Why should I sell for you when I get nothing for it? Every other bank offers some sort of incentive for meeting goals, but not this one. They will push you to sell so they can get paid.

Start caring about your employees, stop pushing sales when there are no benefits to selling. I worked there for two years and had around 155 referrals, about six referrals a month so I was hitting goal on a fairly consistent basis....did I get anything for it? NO!!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PSCU can be a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

Pros

For the most part it is a good company to work for. Great benefits.

Cons

Advancement can be slow going

Acknowledge employees when walking by.

Great Credit Union

Current Employee - Msr  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Msr in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) part-time for less than a year

Pros

I believe this credit union is one of the best out there. They offer great rates and no hassle.

Cons

It seems like it takes a long time to implement new ideas and strategies. If you make a suggestion to change something it will take a while.

Your employees are your bread and butter, without us you wouldn't be where you are.

Organized Chaos

Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you happen to start at the right branch, you will do well. If you start at a struggling branch, you have a 30% chance staying with the company in my opinion.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not very smart, this causes staffing issues, money order issues, many issues, and the entire company is micromanaged more than I have seen in any company I have worked for.

Empower your employees. Learn what branch level working is like. Figure out your compensation program (When I left, it had been 6 months with a promised "compensation" program coming "Soon". )

A Politically Struggling Organization

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Public Service employs people who believe in what they do and are large enough to offer opportunity to a select and elite few.

Cons

Communication is lacking, upper management micro-manages with outdated experience and interpretation, advancement is slow even with a proven track record of success.

Let go of some control, listen to your employees on the front-line as they have wonderful and innovative ideas that could greatly improve the work environment.

Member Service Representative

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are always losing people, so plenty of opportunity for full-time/overtime.
    Benefits are available for full time and part time (though they are pretty unaffordable for part-timers).
    Paid time-off, including holidays and the occassional day in the winter when it is too snowy to open.
    Coworkers are awesome and supportive, even though it isn't their job to support you.
    A lot of opportunity to move up, good place to go to get some banking experience.
    Regular hours, Sundays off.

Cons

One of the lower-paying credit unions by at least $2 an hour.
    They do not give raises, only incentives that do not pay much ($70 if you complete 12 appointments, 6 loans over $2,500 closed, have less than $10 outage, and less than 3 check errors per month; $30 for each loan closed after your initial 6 per month. No one in my branch or half of the other branches ever made the goal).
    Incentives are extremely limited and there is always a way they can get out of giving you credit for referrals/giving you incentive pay (only loans over $2500 count, no first mortgages, no credit cards, no ODLOCs; some branch managers will allow you to claim walk-ins for credit while others won't).
    Extremely understaffed/extremely stressful.
    Management usually plays the role of a teller or financial consultant instead of completing management tasks or helping members.
    Management holds tellers back from moving up because they do not want to lose their frontline.
    Members know that if they are rude enough and complain enough, management will just bend over and give them what they want and throw you under the bus (especially in regards to cash withdrawals without proper ID)
    Huge lack of communication between and within departments.
    Bank-like attitude towards members despite promoting a community, credit-union feel.
    You end up doing work far beyond your description since management/other departments will drop the ball otherwise.
    Management will ignore or deny time-off if you are sick due to being consistently understaffed.

Offer employees realistic incentives so they don't get burnt out from making numerous appointments per day and bringing in revenue with no reward.
    Communicate and be clear with employees and members on policy.
    Stand up for employees who follow policy correctly and make sure management makes themselves available at all times. Many unsafe things go down in the branch (like conducting transactions and giving information without IDs) because employees do not want to be yelled at and harrassed by members and then have no support from management.
    Keep an eye on branch management to make sure they are doing what is best for the company (moving qualified people up, etc.) and not just what is easiest for them (hold people back because they excel in their current position). Also be on the lookout for unprofessional attitudes between management and employees.
    Provide the opportunity for a raise, especially after passing assessments and reaching goals.
    Hire an adequate amount of people so chaos doesn't ensue as soon as one or two people quit/take time off.

Very appealing yet frustrating at times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lakewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO (US)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

Pros

Great people. They go out of their way to hire quality people who understand their roles and are enthusiastic about the work they do. You have the opportunity to really get to know your clients. You see many more than once a week.

Cons

As much as is pushed about promoting from within, those promises were rarely honored. People with experience and knowledge and the will to do the work necessary were often passed over for outsiders who often did not understand the culture, but instead were seen as nothing more than better salespeople.

Use the people you have to promote. They know your clients better than anyone you can bring from the outside. If growing the business is the highest priority, this is the best way to do it in my opinion.

A Joke

Former Employee - Member Service Representative  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)

Pros

Good experience for employment elsewhere.

Cons

No one knows what is going on, the communication between management and the rest of their employees is HORRIBLE. If you ask 5 people the same question you get 5 completely different answers. Executive management does not care about the people below them all they care about is making money. If you have or want a personal life I would not suggest working for this company, they DO NOT care they will work you until you have nothing left and then fire you for not meeting sells goals.

Be less like a bank and more like the credit union you claim to be.

Worked for Public Service Credit Union (Colorado)? Contribute to the Community!