Prudential
www.prudential.com Newark, NJ 5000+ Employees

Prudential Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr.

John R. Strangfeld Jr.

Pros:
  • "Prudential has a great work/life balance where employees are encouraged to take time off"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Competitive pay and great benefits if in a corporate position"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Senior management basically has gone number 2 all over the bed"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work.

Vice President (Former Employee)
Iselin, NJ (US)

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSense of purpose. Prudential has adjusted to focus on Retirement readiness. It's Day One ad campaign is not just a slogan. There is a deep sense of commitment among associates of all levels to help individuals achieve a secure retirement

ConsThe director of the organization from senior leadership is excellent, however, they need to make sure that it translates all the way down to the workers. A lot of work is done manually with extensive controls. More could be done to bring the back office technology up to the level of the investor/client facing technology.

Good Company

Agent Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSolid Growth Potential for one's career

ConsNavigating politics is challenging and at sometimes difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing.

Tremendous opportunity to grow you own wealth and business.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Prudential

ProsThe training was incredible and thorough, and it was easy to meet the goals that are expected of you. You truly make your own schedule, so as long as you are working hard and honestly trying to build your own business through Prudential, you'll be very well off.

ConsYou pay is base solely on commissions, so don't expect a steady stream of cash from day one. They do have a great system set up, so you're paid over a duration of time, instead of getting all of your commission at once, so it's kind of like having a salary that you earn through commissions. If you want to build a business your way with the backing of a reputable, caring company, Prudential is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on how new clients are dispersed to the Financial Professionals, and you won't have a turnover rate of employees that is as high as it is.

Smart Successful Company but moves slowly

I have been working at Prudential full-time

ProsStrong brand and business, willing to spend on resources to make employees and company successful. Smart leadership and very little political infighting - everyone seems to be on the same page and willing to help eachother

ConsManagement by committee, lots of red tape and things can move slowly. B2B2C business model makes it difficult to have a direct short term impact on the bottom line.

Good company

Marketing Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with, and they support mentor relationships & personal growth. Good benefits that many companies do not offer.

ConsLike many companies, less resources to do our job well which can be stressful at times. Wish there was more potential for promotions.

Large company, plenty of opportunities for career growth.

Current Employee (Current Employee)
Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

ProsBeing a large company there's plenty of opportunities for personal as well as professional development. Always different internal jobs available if you are looking to change positions.

ConsComplicated hierarchy / organizational structure. Lots of business groups are silo-ed and collaboration between departments can be an issue. This leads to a bloated structure with employees doing similar jobs across different business groups.
Approaches to customer engagement is outdated and slow to react to developments in social media.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more collaboration between departments and move to a cloud based customer engagement platform. This way customers will be able to contact Prudential easier by the method they prefer- i.e, social media, live chat etc. Also being cloud based you're not lumbered with technology on the long term and can be quickly react to changing consumer needs.

Overall, Prudential was a great place to work especially from a work/life balance perspective.

I have been working at Prudential

ProsPrudential has great benefits, perks and work/life balance.

ConsThe biggest challenge was the politics and working with people who've been in roles their whole career their and not open to assisting with career development.

Financial Professional

Financial Professional (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Prudential for more than a year

ProsExcellent training, positive atmosphere, very focus employees.
Excellent benefit packages.

ConsNo base salary, it is commissions only.
They have an structure of putting your commissions in a bucket to have a more steady stream of income.

Great place to work, promotes diversity

Interactive Design Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat managers. Family friendly. Work remotely, Flexible schedule. Good Benefits.

ConsExcessive oversight. Digitally naive. Corporate environment and politics. Lack of innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your people the same creative freedom that you do outside vendors.

great place to work for

Accounting Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 10 years

Prosplace to advance your knowledge

Constoo many senior executives.Very bureaucratic and political.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prudential reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Prudential CEO John R. Strangfeld Jr.. All 543 reviews are posted anonymously by Prudential employees.