Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated 17 August, 2014
Updated 17 August, 2014

3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 45 reviews)

• Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 24 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to and start and work at

Current Employee - IT Helpdesk
    Current Employee - IT Helpdesk

Pros

Management mentality is great, constant guidance with versatile attitude

Cons

workload can be overwhelming sometimes

get more closer to employees

Awesome

Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst Associate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

Pros

Benefits are great, easy to take time off, managers typically work well with your needs. Lots of opportunity to move up!

Cons

Some people complain about promotions: I moved up rather quickly though. If you make the most of your time, you can move up quickly.

Great place to work.....IF.......

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH (US)

Pros

I had one of the best schedules. Four days, M-Th, 1pm-12am, with Fri,Sat,Sun OFF!! A three day weekend every week? Where do I sign? Rate of pay to start is excellent, and gainshare can be amazing!! So why am I not still there? That's where the "IF" in my review title comes into play. See the "Cons" section for further details.

Cons

I worked in sales, so I will keep my comments, for the most part, directed to that skill set. In sales, we all know that price is the driving factor, when selling "air." What I mean by that is you are not selling anything tangible. The customer cannot touch it, see it, taste it or smell it. Insurance, of any type, is that way. The customer gets documents which are usually glanced over, then filed away, never again to see the light of day until renewal time, or accident time. However, as a sales rep for Progressive, you are hammered with. "Get the customer off the price discussion, and onto the reasons why Progressive is the best "fit" for their insurance needs." Easier said than done, but if you are one of the 'gifted' people who can do that, this is the job for you. "Impossible metrics". Now I've seen that phrase bandied about on these reviews and, while Progressive does set the bar high...really high...I have seen many reps meet and exceed them, so looking at that from a company perspective, my answer is..."If John, Sue, Jimmy and Darla can do it, then it can be done." Face it. That is true of any company. It's all about the numbers, baby!! Get used to it, because THAT is corporate 'Merica now. The metrics are what they are, and will only continue to rise, and be added to, as "new and improved" methods of grading employees come out of company think tanks. Now...here's why I am no longer there...A. I couldn't hit the metrics. B. I despise the hive mentality. "Bleed Progressive Blue." ? Sorry, not for me. I've never been a "team" player. C. ...and this is the primary reason I'm no longer there...I cannot understand people who...A. Can't speak English. Yes, there a Spanish line, but that's all there is. If the prospect speaks in any other accent, you are stuck with it. B. Multitaskers. Why people pick a time when they have a screaming baby in their arms....are munching on a bag of whatever...have their tv up so loud, that that's all you can hear...or are doing any manner of things, other than paying attention to you.....is beyond my comprehension. And trust me...you WILL get a lot of that. If you don't have a very thick skin, you better develop one in a hurry, or after about 4 months there, you will want to throw the phone at your computer monitor. If you want to work for Progressive in Sales, you need the following... A thick skin, a tolerance for stupidity, TONS of conflict resolution skills - because believe me...there WILL be conflicts for you to resolve - and lastly, belief in your product. If you are like me, and just want to punch in, do your work, punch out and go home.....don't even fill out an application. Save yourself AND Progressive the grief. Oh, and that "sweet' schedule? If you have the choice between the 4 days in a row on, 3 days in a row off - or 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off - take the 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off. 4 ten hour days in a row taking those calls will fry you faster than egg on a "High" burner setting. If you are competent in the things I have mentioned, then by all means send in an application, because you'll do well, and love the job.

You need more extensive training. You need to, after the P&C test is passed, spend more time with prospects figuring out where their breaking point is, before sending them on to Academy. You need to pull that stupid "Price comparison" ad off the airwaves. The tool does NOT work the way it is portrayed, and you know it. You need to offer phone reps a direct, solid way to address the question "How come you guys are so much more expensive, than what I have now?" Basically, the answers given to that question now, boil down to "We may be higher, but we're worth it." Not a good answer. Also, you have a flaw somewhere in your screening process. Aftyer 3 tries to get into Progressive, being told each time that I did not have enough "conflict resolution skills" - and now I see WHY you stress that so hard - I re-did my resume to make it look like I HAD those skills, and on the fourth try, got hired. Somebody didn't do their due diligence, or I would not have passed the background check. Just a FYI.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to provide service to those in poor situations, but hard work.

Current Employee - Unrepresented Injury Claims Adjuster  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Unrepresented Injury Claims Adjuster in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Stress free vacation, you get like 1-2 days off no claims prior to an extended vacation and teammembers help with your claims inventory while your away. 6% 401k match.

Cons

Potential long hours w/ no overtime. Constant work given regardless of how much you already have. No actual discount on insurance other than a measly $50 every 6 months. Make work schedule more flexible.

The art sucks badly. Need better pay and incentives (monetary) when dealing w/ high levels of inventory. For a job where the most important thing is taking care of people in bad situations you should make our conditions better to deal with the added stress.
    BTW we know that when its busy you buy food in order to keep us in the office longer w/o having to leave. Sneaky, sneaky.

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Progressive is a great company to work for. I loved the people i worked with. Progressive is a very diverse company. Management is really great about sticking to the core values of the company.

Cons

Holistic attendance policy. Each supervisor can excuse or give occurrence for absence based on their opinion. If you and another employee from another team missed work for the same reason one supervisor may excuse it while the other marks it against you. Each day missed is a separate occurrence. If you are sick for three days there are three occurrences. The work load can be very heavy at times. The turnover rates it high.

Advise potential employees of the work load. Change attendance policy to be fair to everyone.

great company

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Mayfield Heights, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Mayfield Heights, OH (US)

Pros

fair pay
    benefits are reasonable
    fitness center on site
    advancement opportunity

Cons

high stress, fast pace environment

n/a

Great environment... Very flexible

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

Pros

Gain share bonuses, ability to shift/alter your schedule the same day, you have a lot of control over your scheduling, fun environment, tolerant culture, lots of events for the employees, monetary bonuses for your performance

Cons

You will not advance far without having your degree, hours/shifts offered are limited...also company is moving towards a performance based schedule bid system, must work mandatory 8 holiday hours per year, limited employment options without a degree regardless of your past work experience, customer service position is also "soft sales" meaning you are required to make certain offers to the customer (part of your metrics)

A good place to work

Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Jacksonville, FL (US)

Pros

Decent pay and plenty of opportunities to move up in management. Team leads are easy to approach and available for coaching & questions. The job is far from boring and there never seemed to be enough hours in the day to finish your workload.

Cons

Very high workload which made it hard to offer exceptional customer service, yet exceptional customer service was expected. Upper management would often do office visits but it seemed like our concerns were rarely addressed and when they were it was with an air of "We're going to have to pull you off of your workload to have meetings about your concerns" which in turn increased our workload.

Focus on customer service and employees needs and happiness for a more efficient work day.

Great company and benefits! Excellent training offered.. employed with company 5+ years.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Riverview, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL (US)

Pros

Working at Progressive Direct gives you gainful experience in the insurance industry. The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition. There are always new positions opening for recent college grads or anyone looking for a position in customer service. Benefits are superb and the management isn't overbearing with feedback.

Cons

high call volume can be draining at times but one "adjusts".

One of the great companies to work for..

Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer Senior  in  Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer Senior in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

Pros

Employee friendly, Work life balance, Latest Technologies, Customer Oriented

Cons

Salary can be made more competent

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!