Progressive Business Publications

Updated 8 September, 2014
Updated 8 September, 2014
4.3

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sad place to work

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Pros? If you still have a job.

Cons

The owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

The emperor has no clothes.

Progressive Business Publications Response

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We are very proud to have a stable workforce with over half of our employees having over 5 years of service. In the company's 50 year history we have had only a single layoff, totaling 9 people ... More

You Get What You Give

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Schedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

Cons

Equipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Keep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

Business to Business telemarketing

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Some of the people you talked to were great

Cons

A lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Screen applicants better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Williamsport, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

Cons

Some of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Be more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Bensalem, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

The upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

Cons

Calling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

More training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

The reviews that sound too good to be true -- ARE too too good to be true

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management couldn't care less what employees do day-to-day, so feel free to come in for only a few hours a day, "work" from home, and wear your pajamas into the office. No one will notice or care.

Cons

Revenue has dropped to a fraction of what it was just a few years ago, and upper management is desperately trying to find ANYTHING that will make a few bucks. Whether it's legal or ethical is not part of their concern.

In my time there, I uncovered cases of plagiarism and was aware of several cases of sexual harassment -- none of which upper management was willing to deal with. Instead, they got rid of the "complainers" rather than address the illegal activities their own employees were engaging in.

They're shutting down products left and right which led to multiple layoffs and/or not
    hiring replacements for the MANY people who have left in the past two years.

A job here is probably better than the unemployment office -- but not by much. Staying here too long will destroy your career -- and your soul.

Stop having the owner's son write the glowing reviews on this and similar sites. They're so obvious, it's laughable.

Decent place for entry-level, not much more

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Profitable company, privately held, not dependent on satisfying shareholders.

Cons

Low pay, very flat structure.

great place for writers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

I can't think of a more exciting challenge for a writer than to work at Progressive Business Publications. You learn to write for extremely busy business professionals who don't have time and who by nature don't want to read. Business-to-business writing is different from any other kind of writing I've ever been exposed to -- and I think I've seen most of it in a 50-year writing and editing career. It's a tough craft to learn, but then again, it's like they say -- nothing easy in probably worth having.

Progressive Business Professionals serves business professionals with critical information for their jobs from Presidents and CEOs to administrative assistants and every other job function in between -- HR, Payroll, Sales, Safety and Environmental compliance management and others. Each audience has its own unique needs. Our writers are trained how to talk to these business professionals and then serve them by selecting the right information just for them from a variety of sources. We got a lot of satisfaction when we hear people tell us we've really helped them become more effective in their jobs. I never felt I had such a direct relationship with my audience when I used to work in general media like newspapers. It's challenging, but it's exhilarating at the same time!

Cons

traffic on US202 (construction seems to be everlasting) can be bad for the commute

think about work-life balance

Progressive Business Publications is "built to last"

Current Employee - Director  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is a company in it for the long-term. More than half of the employees have been around longer than 10 years. That says something. The company has made a huge success of print information, in an age when everyone else is struggling even with digital because of their quick-read, expert-to-expert business format. Others have posted, and it's absolutely true, that the culture is unique (by design) and entrepreneurial -- the job is really what you make of it. No one comes in with a list of job description bullets to follow. At Progressive Business Publications, you have to know your talents and how to leverage them.

Once they prove themselves, business owners become empowered to drive their areas, and there's no small amount of pressure to deliver. The culture is very flat, which makes for a vague hierarchy, but again that's by design. This combination of pressure and gray area is probably not for everyone. Decisions are debated and often determined by consensus. It's a model that has worked for the company time and again as they transitioned from print, into audio, and then into virtual training. Progressive Business Publications stresses the role of collaboration during their recruiting process, and they aren't kidding. It often has the energy of a start-up, but with long-time employees who act as mentors and coaches. Very unique place, very unique opportunity.

Cons

Not a lot of natural light in the HQ, except at the building edges. Would love an updated working space.

Dishonest business tactics...a sinking ship.

Former Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people who work there genuinely want the business to succeed. Generally no one works past 5pm. Most people leave on their own once they figure out their career is going nowhere.

Cons

Layoffs due to failed management and vision. Organization claims you are your own CEO, so don't expect a promotion. Too many business units, they try anything to make money. Ideas and content taken from free resources and then repackaged to charge customers. Top managers aren't held accountable so major screw ups go unnoticed. Nepotism galore. Bloated salaries at the top. Annual reviews and raises are based on opinion, not actual measurements. Read over the Glassdoor reviews - you can tell the positive ones were written by their own staff to try and change people's opinion.

Listen to your workers instead of the protected boys club at the top. Hold people accountable for failures. Shake up the top level every once in a while. Become an honest company rather than using your own staff to create fake positive stories. Develop a career path for your staff.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!