Progressive Business Publications

Updated 30 September, 2014
Updated 30 September, 2014
4.3

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

An excellent place to work.

Current Employee - IT Department  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Department in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

PBP has a great atmosphere and great people. The work-life balance is great and I still have plenty of time for my family.

Cons

There are no con's I can think of off the top of my head, I truly enjoy the people and the atmosphere.

Great environment for a self-motivated, energetic employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management empowers employees, you rarely feel micromanaged, friendly work environment, great opportunity for someone who wants to learn multiple facets of the publishing world

Cons

IT resources are stretched thin so it's challenging to get projects completed

Increase employee vacation days

Challenging, flexible, empowering, and actually fun

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference. Yes, you will be challenged to be good at what you do...need to be accountable, show a sense of urgency, and have a plan...specifically think with the end in mind when tackling a problem or a project. But that's what makes it empowering. There is clearly a Progressive model that has worked and that you need to learn and understand, but the opportunities to help tweak that model to make things better are there for those that can show reasons to make the changes.

Definitely a flexible work environment...I don't feel like everyone is watching my every move or worried if I came in by 8 and left after 5. What matters is the work you are doing and the impact you are having. I have the tools to work all weekend if I want, or catch up on stuff late at night, and when necessary leave a bit early to catch my kids sporting events.

The company is also committed to developing their employees. From the program designed for new employees to get acquainted with the company, other new employees, and long-standing employees, to the management training & development program recently implemented, to the Strength Finder activity they conducted, it's clear that the company is looking to advance their employees as best they can.

It doesn't hurt that we can have fun too. Numerous pizza parties, team events, tickets to sporting events, and dinner and great seats at the Walnut Street Theater all have been made available. Plus, something that doesn't get much publicity are the projects and nonprofits that Progressive supports through its charitable foundation.

Cons

Vacation time, promotions, not much natural light. Upper management should be given an office...without worrying about hurting the feelings of employees who have been around a long time. Structure could be better defined.

If you are hired at a high level, you should be treated as such. Having a hierarchy is ok if the right people are Managers. Then employees will have clearer direction and things will run smoother. Cubicle walls should come down, but if doing old school cubicles than director level employees should not be sitting in a smaller cubicle than a summer intern.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PBP focuses on playing to the strengths of their employees - recognizing that you're going to be better if you like what you're doing. It is a collegial atmosphere where people work hard but have fun. It's a particularly good company for new college graduates (or interns) as you are given real, meaningful work to do right away.

Cons

While PBP is a meritocracy and rewards employees who do well with more challenging work (which is good) there is not a lot of turnover so it can be difficult to move up.

Good, Solid Company

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

The people are great at PBP--a true team environment where everyone is willing to help you succeed. They are an intelligent, motivated group of people focused on serving customers and moving the company forward. PBP values it's employees and creates opportunities for them to grow.

Cons

They could move to a PTO system and be a little more transparent across departments.

Please be more transparent about the position of the company...it's just good to know.

Don't fall for it, dont work here.

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

leadership, commission, freedom and experience

Cons

management
    strict
    unfair
    poor breaks
    terrible sales goals to hit
    management rude, offensive

Start screening your employees!!!!

Neutral

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

A refreshing and professional company that is interested in your ideas and encourages your best work.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance where you can go home at a reasonable time and not have to work nights or weekends. Warm and friendly work environment. Staff are rewarded and moved up based on merit, not politics. We get to provide helpful info to companies that they truly need to run their companies better; keep up in their field, etc. The commitment to philanthropy is stronger than I've seen in any company and employees can take time off during the workday if they want to volunteer for charity work. Senior management is generally open-minded and approachable.

Cons

Would be nice if the building had more windows for employees to see the outside greenery.

Add more paid vacation days.

Open and Flexible

Current Employee - Marketer  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketer in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

Manager is flexible and open to ideas, gives me time to do what I need with family. Casual atmosphere, clear expectations about project timelines. Good 401k plan and good medical plan, we have 2 kids. I have received profit sharing bonus last 3 years, even in down economy, we did okay.

Cons

We could use more employee centered events, like celebrating monthly birthdays.

Add some sales training

Progressive Business Publications Response

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We are in the process of expanding our training and development programs for employees.

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Howland Corners, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Take more time to coach your reps.

Progressive Business Publications Response

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

Progressive Business Publications Photos

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!