Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, Solid Company

ProsThe people are great at PBP--a true team environment where everyone is willing to help you succeed. They are an intelligent, motivated group of people focused on serving customers and moving the company forward. PBP values it's employees and creates opportunities for them to grow.

ConsThey could move to a PTO system and be a little more transparent across departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more transparent about the position of the company...it's just good to know.

Great place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsPBP focuses on playing to the strengths of their employees - recognizing that you're going to be better if you like what you're doing. It is a collegial atmosphere where people work hard but have fun. It's a particularly good company for new college graduates (or interns) as you are given real, meaningful work to do right away.

ConsWhile PBP is a meritocracy and rewards employees who do well with more challenging work (which is good) there is not a lot of turnover so it can be difficult to move up.

Don't fall for it, dont work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosleadership, commission, freedom and experience

Consmanagement
    strict
    unfair
    poor breaks
    terrible sales goals to hit
    management rude, offensive

Advice to Senior ManagementStart screening your employees!!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Neutral

Account Manager (Former Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsBenefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

ConsMy position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

A refreshing and professional company that is interested in your ideas and encourages your best work.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance where you can go home at a reasonable time and not have to work nights or weekends. Warm and friendly work environment. Staff are rewarded and moved up based on merit, not politics. We get to provide helpful info to companies that they truly need to run their companies better; keep up in their field, etc. The commitment to philanthropy is stronger than I've seen in any company and employees can take time off during the workday if they want to volunteer for charity work. Senior management is generally open-minded and approachable.

ConsWould be nice if the building had more windows for employees to see the outside greenery.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more paid vacation days.

Open and Flexible

Marketer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsManager is flexible and open to ideas, gives me time to do what I need with family. Casual atmosphere, clear expectations about project timelines. Good 401k plan and good medical plan, we have 2 kids. I have received profit sharing bonus last 3 years, even in down economy, we did okay.

ConsWe could use more employee centered events, like celebrating monthly birthdays.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd some sales training

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We are in the process of expanding our training and development programs for employees.

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Howland Corners, OH (US)

ProsAwesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

ConsVery high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to coach your reps.

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

Horrible

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Bensalem, PA (US)

ProsNone come to mind, none.

ConsBeing talked to like your a special needs child just because you can't get small businesses to agree to a free trial of their horrible newsletters.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking the Kool-Aid

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

Our management team is focused on building a good company with good people. We rely on our culture and values as a part of our success. With that, we expect all managers to treat sales team members ... More

Sad place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPros? If you still have a job.

ConsThe owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe emperor has no clothes.

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We are very proud to have a stable workforce with over half of our employees having over 5 years of service. In the company's 50 year history we have had only a single layoff, totaling 9 people ... More

You Get What You Give

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsSchedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

ConsEquipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!