Progressive Business Publications
www.pbp.com Malvern, PA 500 to 999 Employees

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Ed Satell

Started in 1999 and never looked back!

Sales (Current Employee)
Woodbury, NJ (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you do your job well and perform at a high level keeping the customer at the front of all your decisions you will do fine. Company focus is on helping executives do their job better not selling widgets. Every 2 weeks you have an opportunity to speak with a different type of executive while learning about a differnt part of the business world.

ConsBlue chairs need to be upgraded!

Questionable business ethics driven by greed

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Proscasual work atmosphere, some fun employee activities

ConsThis is a churn & burn organization - both with their treatment of employees and their email marketing practices. A quick Google search will show you plenty of "questionable business ethics".
Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance.
Management will guide you very little but hold you accountable for everything. Expect little guidance and the likelihood that you will never elevate your position unless a member of the almost all-male management club. Greed-driven initiatives with poor project management planning and follow-through.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your bad business ethics, poor benefits, low-pay

Positive Environment, Dedicated and Professional Colleagues

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros*Culture that encourages achievement
*Colleagues are people of accomplishment who encourage and support one another
*Opportunity to bring great ideas to fruition
*Strong record of giving back to the community

Cons*It is hurtful and aggravating to read the nasty criticisms and negative comments seen on the web.
*some of these harangues seem unfair and misleading

Values Driven Company with Opportunity for Impact

Marketer (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've worked in marketing at the company's headquarters for 3 years. Company has a high performance environment but managers give you the resources and support to succeed. I'm always learning something new and have been given opportunities to attend conferences, trainings, and other outside resources. Upper management challenges you to make an impact, but empowers you to see your ideas through.

PBP is very philanthropic and encourages employees to participate in its mentorship program . I found the program to be incredibly rewarding. Gives you a sense of pride to work with a company that positively impacts the community in so many ways.

ConsIt is a results driven environment. Everyone is held accountable for what they deliver on, so it's not for everybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter coffee!

PBP’s environment encourages you to succeed at your job

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA (US)

Pros- PBP is a meritocracy - if you do well you’re rewarded with more, challenging work that plays to your strengths. As a result, I’ve been able to grow within the company and work with many different divisions which has allowed me to both learn a lot and contribute to the overall growth of the company.
- The People - I’ve never worked with a group of more talented and interesting people. It makes work more enjoyable if you like the people you work with.
- Giving back - PBP doesn’t just give money to non-profit organizations they support, they also encourage their employees to give time during the work day to make a difference in a child’s life by mentoring elementary school children

ConsThe office itself is "tired" looking. I would love to have more access to windows and natural light. And, more parking spaces, too.

Surprised by teamwork

Manager (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat flexibility with work schedule. Accommodating any and all family need and emergencies. Provide an excellent work environment and a casual atmosphere.

ConsPay is not great but the benefits are excellent. Lack of communication on a few issues and the HR department could be better involved with identifying poor performers and working on action plans to improve their performance or moving on.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be proactive with succession planning

Positive about the future

Malvern, PA (US)

ProsI have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

ConsLow salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Assistant Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsI began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

ConsThere were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

Hard work rewarded with opportunity

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

ProsIf you put in the work and time to learn about the company you will be rewarded with increased responsibility and opportunity.
You are always encouraged to try new things and new approaches which is a refreshing change from other organizations I have worked for.
Very involved in the community and believes in and encourages giving back - something that is missing in many companies today.

ConsMore vacation time would be nice, but I have learned from past experience, sometimes you pay for more vacation time through unpaid/unrecognized overtime.

Not proud to call them my employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time

ProsCasual work environment, mentoring program with children of an inner-city school, flexible hours

ConsWill do anything to make money, even if it is unethical
Very poor reputation
Little to no managerial interaction with staff
Too many random divisions and departments under one roof
Shady business practices
Low pay
Poor facilities
Terrible technology

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being "sneaky" and trying to make profits however you can - conduct legitimate business. Your unethical practices are taking their toll on your reputation.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All 42 reviews are posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.