Progress Energy

Progress Energy President & CEO James E. Rogers

James E. Rogers

Customer Service

ProsGreat benefits, excellent training,

ConsUnable to transfer to different departsments

Admin Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsGreat benefits, pay was ok like getting bonus. Safety is a big goal! Always had work to do

ConsWent downhill after merger with Duke Energy! Duke doesn't really care about Progress Energy employees! New
    CEO was suppose to visit our dept and never showed up!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take employees for granted!

Excellent Company to work for.

Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsProgress Energy is a great place to work! The management teams are well trained management, the company offers a nice balance of work and life, and the compensation is competitive.

ConsUtility regulation. Duke Energy merger until complete is a bit unsettling for associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the Duke/Progress merger outcome outstanding from a culture perspective.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, rewarding, and supportive work environment

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Cary, NC (US)

ProsCollaborative work environment, many opportunities for career growth and learning, supportive management, family-like culture makes you feel like you're part of the team, can-do / get it done attitude by staff is energizing

ConsMost of the best parts of Progress were lost during the Duke Energy merger, and many good employees were replaced with inexperienced staff. I've never seen culture erode so fast as it did at the combined Progress Energy / Duke Energy

Use to be great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people to work for

ConsShare some of the downside of working at this place

Great company

Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsCollaborative, talented, driven group of folks

ConsDisappointing to see the company disappear like so many others

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen approaching a merger, make sure you take the best offer, not just the offer you think may be best for the management team.

Awesome

Implementation Coordinator (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

ProsLoved everyone there and had a very successful conclusion to the project. Wish I could have been permanent instead of contract. it was a good fit.

ConsContract didn't last long enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good people to work with, trained well.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat overall learning experience for entry level engineer. However, I was lucky to have a great mentor who took time to work with me.

ConsI really do not have any thing bad to comment on. Other than at time employees at the plants think that central design is a separate company.

A good work/life balance, and reasonable commute times in Raleigh.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsCompany is pretty flexible on work schedule days with some opportunity to work from home. The commute in/out of downtown Raleigh during rush hours is not a complete crush like some other cities.

ConsNot much growth going on in the utility industry so the same applies to the general employee population, not much growth. Company continuously prepares for less electric demand and is very frugal with employee training.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a bit more time and money developing employee assets.

Motivate through intimidation

Contractor (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

ProsNice views out the windows. Good location in downtown St. Pete. Met some positive, likeminded and talented people. Security guard was an angel. Seemed like morale was good on any floor except the 14th. It would make some top notch reality TV.

ConsVery disorganized. Bullies are rewarded with promotions. No conscious when it comes to hiring or managing contractors. They are more than willing to let a person relocate (actually highly encouraged) with their entire family and then fire them on a whim. Contractors are treated like rag dolls. Every manager finds a favorite contractor to leverage for political purposes as well as having a personal scape goat. The managment style is humiliating. The "solutions" that are chosen have more to do with executive relationships and less to do with making practical, logical decisions to better the business. Work/Life balance did not exist. If you weren't running the clock (even hourly contractors) you were viewed in a negative light. This was ridiculous because there wasn't work to be done. Management was too busy promoting stagnation rather than productivity. I have never witnessed such a negative and unhealthy abundance of ego at a job in my entire career. Teamwork was discouraged. I was told more than once not to interact with other workstreams. If you had any talent to contribute, you were better off keeping it to yourself or risk losing your job because a full-time employee suddenly became threatened by what you could contribute. A very, very dissapointing experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some serious issues that need to be addressed especially within NGDR. Managers need to understand how to manage contractors and what their purpose is to the business. There seems to be alot of ignorance on how to best leverage contractors. Good talent isn't looking to ride the company out until retirement, they are looking to perform a function and move onto the next project. Most people choose contracting for a reason and one of those reasons is to be removed from corporate politics. Contractors are neutral and should be allowed to remain that way.

Worked for Progress Energy? Contribute to the Community!