Progress Energy

Progress Energy Reviews

Updated Feb 17, 2014

Progress Energy President & CEO James E. Rogers

James E. Rogers

Challenging, rewarding, and supportive work environment

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at Progress Energy full-time

ProsCollaborative work environment, many opportunities for career growth and learning, supportive management, family-like culture makes you feel like you're part of the team, can-do / get it done attitude by staff is energizing

ConsMost of the best parts of Progress were lost during the Duke Energy merger, and many good employees were replaced with inexperienced staff. I've never seen culture erode so fast as it did at the combined Progress Energy / Duke Energy

Use to be great place to work

I worked at Progress Energy

ProsGood people to work for

ConsShare some of the downside of working at this place

Great company

Manager (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Progress Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCollaborative, talented, driven group of folks

ConsDisappointing to see the company disappear like so many others

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen approaching a merger, make sure you take the best offer, not just the offer you think may be best for the management team.

Awesome

Implementation Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Progress Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsLoved everyone there and had a very successful conclusion to the project. Wish I could have been permanent instead of contract. it was a good fit.

ConsContract didn't last long enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good people to work with, trained well.

I worked at Progress Energy

ProsGreat overall learning experience for entry level engineer. However, I was lucky to have a great mentor who took time to work with me.

ConsI really do not have any thing bad to comment on. Other than at time employees at the plants think that central design is a separate company.

A good work/life balance, and reasonable commute times in Raleigh.

Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Progress Energy for more than 10 years

ProsCompany is pretty flexible on work schedule days with some opportunity to work from home. The commute in/out of downtown Raleigh during rush hours is not a complete crush like some other cities.

ConsNot much growth going on in the utility industry so the same applies to the general employee population, not much growth. Company continuously prepares for less electric demand and is very frugal with employee training.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a bit more time and money developing employee assets.

Motivate through intimidation

Contractor (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I worked at Progress Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsNice views out the windows. Good location in downtown St. Pete. Met some positive, likeminded and talented people. Security guard was an angel. Seemed like morale was good on any floor except the 14th. It would make some top notch reality TV.

ConsVery disorganized. Bullies are rewarded with promotions. No conscious when it comes to hiring or managing contractors. They are more than willing to let a person relocate (actually highly encouraged) with their entire family and then fire them on a whim. Contractors are treated like rag dolls. Every manager finds a favorite contractor to leverage for political purposes as well as having a personal scape goat. The managment style is humiliating. The "solutions" that are chosen have more to do with executive relationships and less to do with making practical, logical decisions to better the business. Work/Life balance did not exist. If you weren't running the clock (even hourly contractors) you were viewed in a negative light. This was ridiculous because there wasn't work to be done. Management was too busy promoting stagnation rather than productivity. I have never witnessed such a negative and unhealthy abundance of ego at a job in my entire career. Teamwork was discouraged. I was told more than once not to interact with other workstreams. If you had any talent to contribute, you were better off keeping it to yourself or risk losing your job because a full-time employee suddenly became threatened by what you could contribute. A very, very dissapointing experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some serious issues that need to be addressed especially within NGDR. Managers need to understand how to manage contractors and what their purpose is to the business. There seems to be alot of ignorance on how to best leverage contractors. Good talent isn't looking to ride the company out until retirement, they are looking to perform a function and move onto the next project. Most people choose contracting for a reason and one of those reasons is to be removed from corporate politics. Contractors are neutral and should be allowed to remain that way.

Engineering Intern

Reactor Systems Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
New Hill, NC (US)

I worked at Progress Energy as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat work as an intern. Management was very open to teaching and training the younger engineers. I always had a project to work on or an adviser to shadow through their daily activities.

ConsAs an intern I did not have many bad experiences while working because most people make every effort to help and guide new employees.

Good company

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Progress Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFriendly work environment and good paying, specialy, the location is Florida, very good place for living and low cost. The housing market is cheap.

ConsIt's too hot for ourdoor working or work at substation.

Innovative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Progress Energy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsStrategic in using Smart Grid Technologies

ConsWe do it differently here

Advice to Senior ManagementMentoring is important

Worked for Progress Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progress Energy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Progress Energy CEO James E. Rogers. All 43 reviews are posted anonymously by Progress Energy employees.