Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated 25 September, 2014
Updated 25 September, 2014
3.7

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very good, with an excellent work-life balance to boot (in 41 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 11 reviews)

• Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work. They care about their employees.

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They care about their employees, they are flexible, they help you balance work and life.

Cons

Hard to get back in, they sometimes are too structured.

Focus on bringing back the Health employees who apply! It's hard to get back in.

Best Internship program yet!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The program was well-structured, they provided you with a mentor within your team as well as an available leader to help you with anything you needed. I enjoyed the programs that they put on just for interns such as listening to upper level executives speak & professional development seminars. The pay was great too, and they hook you up with housing nearby!

Cons

There isn't a lot of internship to full-time conversion if you aren't in the IT field.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Applications Expert  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Applications Expert in Pune (India)

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee Oriented, Free Cab, Subsidized Meal, Nice Work, Good Environment, Nice Culture

Cons

Nothing as such, less onsite

The y are good

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They care about their employees, provide great benefits, continually train, and try to create a positive work environment.

Cons

They tend to keep piling on the work until you cry uncle...but then most companies do in this day and age.

"Great people and work"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers. everyone was really friendly and good at their jobs. I was given a lot of responsibility and feedback on my work.

Cons

It took them 6 weeks to get my security clearance set up. That's fine for full time employees, but not for an intern who is only there for 12.

Work on the on boarding process

Great place to earn your wings, not so good once you have them.

Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior  in  Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work Life balance is good in most areas. Retirement benefits are great, you get 401K and a pension. Onsite fitness center. Other benefits are OK. The people you work with are generally top notch, teams have a family feel. Some employees can work from home or remote.

Cons

If you work in a SCBU you'll have to deal with political infighting among the various business units. Once you reach a "senior" level in your position opportunities for advancement are slim to non existent if you don't have direct reports. Its not uncommon for senior staff level employees to retire having spent the previous 20 years with the same job title. At times work-life balance can tilt heavily towards work. Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment. Another drawback is that during the remodeling some employees will get crammed into building with very little amenities.

Treat all employees like you treat interns and you will get world class results on the annual EOS.

Work life balance and fun

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

1) Nice package atleast 3 years back they were offering irresistable package for 2-5 yrs exp people.Heard that has been changed now.
    2) Great work life balance as very less work pressure
    3) Lots of fun activities, interest groups.Strongly suggest to participate as its the only thing brings you to focus
    4)First in last out to compute your daily hours policy.Trust me you are gonna love this in company like this specially when its near to amanora, seasons
    5)This should top the list-Free cab facility within 50 km range
    6) Relaxed exit process

Cons

1)can you spend 8 hours without doing anything meaningful day by day?No right?

2)I was lucky to be under a cool manger but most of them are not

3)If you wanna learn google is open there so search and learn .Work is not going to teach you anything meaningful

4)Award is a joke there.Its there to demotivate the smart people and to encourages the eye candy of the managers

5)No onsite but you would be made aware of that at the time of joining

6) Hike is very very less and the vp is almost 15% of your package so to get that you have to KA(decode that)

7)There is merginal difference in developers and testers salary

8) You will have a very bad time if you are not good in singing dancing because 10% your VP is there to perform in annual function

So you want to join this company ask yourself

-Are you married and less ambitious ?
    -Is IT job is your side income and you have a primary business?
    -You just have 2-3 yrs of exp and looking for a cool 1-2 yrs doing nothing but fun.

I am not being sarcastic here ,all of us have different priorities.

Please try to bring the quality work as now you have sufficient faith from the onshore

Excellent at first but with a change of CEO and the recession the entire company culture changed.

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager  in  Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary and excellent benefits. Ample opportunities for development.

Cons

Ineffective leadership at the team and department levels. A company culture that was more talk that action. Many things the company supported were not liked or supported by team and department leadership so those areas just missed out. When Barry Griswell was CEO there was a real "people" culture. When I left it was all about metrics, numbers and reporting. The people were undervalued, not recognized, and overworked.

Make sure leaders/managers at all levels know how to support what HR promotes as the company culture. Fix the review system which is completely broken.

Associate Manager - Product Development and Research

Current Employee - Associate Manager - Product Development and Research  in  Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager - Product Development and Research in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work culture and organisation environment.

Cons

I enjoyed working with this company. Couldn't find anything to mention here as such.

Empowering people is really magical. I could take pride of what I used to do.

Great first and last Internship

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Real Project Experience
    Encouraged to Learn
    Leaders including Dan Houston willing to meet with Interns

Cons

Lots of first time internships.

Continue to invest in Interns as a source of new technology.

Principal Financial Group Photos

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!