Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated 21 October, 2014
Updated 21 October, 2014
3.8

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very good, with an excellent work-life balance to boot (in 41 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 12 reviews)

• Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work. They care about their employees.

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They care about their employees, they are flexible, they help you balance work and life.

Cons

Hard to get back in, they sometimes are too structured.

Focus on bringing back the Health employees who apply! It's hard to get back in.

Continuously learning new product and/or sales material, developing skills to guarantee success.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Representative in West Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Representative in West Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding archived training library available 24/7, augmented with frequent, optional to attend, webinars.

Cons

Nothing of note comes to mind. Really.

Keep up the great work.

Best Company Out There from a Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Principal has the best training program for people who want to get into the business where the real money is at. They start you off with a 4 month salary and even provide benefits. Commissions are complicated but the best out there. The biggest 401k player in the market. Great Managing Director who is a straight shooter. He is very ethical and is an expert at sales.

Cons

Expect to work hard, but rewarded handsomely. The biggest challenge to learn to focus and keeping ourselves accountable.

My search is over- I'm sold!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that really values their employees from full-time staff to interns. Senior management is very accessible, the culture is fun and inviting, and the opportunities are endless. This is an incredible company for those looking for a 'career company'. I got hooked on the values, the transparency and most of all, the people. I look forward to seeing further global expansion and growth and returning for a full-time position post graduation.

Cons

I do not think my experience would have been the same if I had not worked in the headquarter office in Des Moines.

Human resource

Former Employee - Human Resource in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Human Resource in Pune (India)

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

awesome place to work at

Cons

none. its is a great place to work

keep doing the best as always

Best Internship program yet!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The program was well-structured, they provided you with a mentor within your team as well as an available leader to help you with anything you needed. I enjoyed the programs that they put on just for interns such as listening to upper level executives speak & professional development seminars. The pay was great too, and they hook you up with housing nearby!

Cons

There isn't a lot of internship to full-time conversion if you aren't in the IT field.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They care about their employees, provide great benefits, continually train, and try to create a positive work environment.

Cons

They tend to keep piling on the work until you cry uncle...but then most companies do in this day and age.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Applications Expert in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Applications Expert in Pune (India)

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Oriented, Free Cab, Subsidized Meal, Nice Work, Good Environment, Nice Culture

Cons

Nothing as such, less onsite

The y are good

"Great people and work"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers. everyone was really friendly and good at their jobs. I was given a lot of responsibility and feedback on my work.

Cons

It took them 6 weeks to get my security clearance set up. That's fine for full time employees, but not for an intern who is only there for 12.

Work on the on boarding process

Great place to earn your wings, not so good once you have them.

Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life balance is good in most areas. Retirement benefits are great, you get 401K and a pension. Onsite fitness center. Other benefits are OK. The people you work with are generally top notch, teams have a family feel. Some employees can work from home or remote.

Cons

If you work in a SCBU you'll have to deal with political infighting among the various business units. Once you reach a "senior" level in your position opportunities for advancement are slim to non existent if you don't have direct reports. Its not uncommon for senior staff level employees to retire having spent the previous 20 years with the same job title. At times work-life balance can tilt heavily towards work. Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment. Another drawback is that during the remodeling some employees will get crammed into building with very little amenities.

Treat all employees like you treat interns and you will get world class results on the annual EOS.

Principal Financial Group Photos