PolyOne Reviews

Updated 23 September, 2014
2.5

PolyOne Chairman, President, and CEO Stephen D. Newlin
Stephen D. Newlin

Nothing But Mismanaged troubles and abuse (Orangeville)

Former Employee - Maintenance  in  Orangeville, ON
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Orangeville, ON

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits,

some experienced long term employees. small manufacturing scale, know every one by name.

Most workers all share there experiences and help out.

Cons

Systemic culture issues or lack of culture, management on a perpetual witch hunt, too lost in the ``point the finger`` etc... to see what is going on around them or to be effective good leadership.

``Honesty`` ,``Integrity`` ``Respect`` not here !

Work flow up and downs, short notice use your holidays up first..... or there`s no work next shift.

They can`t seem to get there own policies training and procedures straight, everything changes to suit the moment. `` Lack of integrity``

I`ve never seen a management group that unorganized and unable plan work with some fore
    thought and insight considering the many years and experience with the same old equipment and set up. Fallow through or making any kind of meaning full decision for the future is a miss here. ``Dead wood``

No ``Aspri De Corps`` every one just works there. The bottom dollar aditiude is killing what

is soon to be dead equipment and resources. ``lack of respect``

Keep on the way your going and your problems will fix you.

``World Class`` is no were near what is going on here.

A full time active HR person, better hire two.

Operator

Current Employee - Crew Chief - Operator  in  Seabrook, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Chief - Operator in Seabrook, TX (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PolyOne is a great place to start your career to gain experience.

Cons

Multitude of schedule changes - lack of a set schedule
    Large turnover which leads to large portion of the work force that lacks experience.

Hold Management Team more accountable when mistakes occur. Don't allow mistakes to be swept under the rug. Corrective actions will prevent similar mistakes from reoccurring.

Contractor

I worked at PolyOne as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

Good old boys, very old school for this ever changing tech driven world

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great pay, no regard for people

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Avon Lake, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Avon Lake, OH (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High minded goals from CEO - transform from commodity products to specialty solutions
    Good training opportunities (Six Sigma)
    Fantastic pay and bonuses

Cons

Dull product line and tough to move away from nickel & dime commodity polymers
    Management approach to people is toxic - very old school and manipulative. They preach collaboration and innovation, but it is every man for himself. Workforce is a weird mix of beat down old timers, MBA wonderkids, and obnoxious arrogant castoffs from other big polymer companys. Executive management lacks any real vision or ability to motivate. They could accomplish so much if they really figured out how to work collaboratively. They pay ridiculous bonuses every spring and you see a lot of good people who cash in and leave after a few years because it is just too demoralizing to work in that environment.

Need to clean house and encourage some of the 3rd floor execs. to move on and take their old school sales and people management methods into retirement.

Professional top sales environment

Current Employee - Account
    Current Employee - Account

I have been working at PolyOne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent training in sales, encourage team participation. Compensated fairly with good benefits. You were rewarded for work accomplished, but also penalized for missing targets. A great environment for former GE Plastic employees

Cons

Very competitive internal environment. There is high requirement on forecasting accuracy and detail reporting. Much of this work needed to be done on after hours time and cut into family life.

Lesson learned

Former Employee - Technician  in  Vonore, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Technician in Vonore, TN (US)

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paychecks did not bounce. There are no other pros that can be associated with this company.

Cons

Heavy reliance on the good ole boy system. You will be used as a scape goat as often as the leadership team thinks they can get away with it.

No one in a leadership position at Polyone is capable of improving themselves or the company if it will not directly benifit their financial or political position within their respective clique.

If you need a job it's a paycheck

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at PolyOne for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall the pay is good

Cons

Culture is crazy, no one wants to do what's right based on ethics

Listen to your front line employees

Does solid compensation overcome high stress and low career options? Yes...for now!

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager  in  Avon Lake, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Avon Lake, OH (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was initially attracted to PolyOne due to their competitive salary and bonus structure - sales bonuses are earned from individual results, unlike other companies where their bonuses are mostly determined by how well the overall company does. This company puts an especially high emphasis on the role of sales, and there are many opportunities for public recognition. While some of my colleagues have personality conflicts with the senior management running each division, I find that they are very straightforward in their comments. Sometimes it's hard to hear, but it's better than being lied to. If you blame them for wanting to make money, you've come to the wrong company.

Cons

I started off making about 20% more than a few of my colleagues who had been with the company a number of years and had much more experience than I in the plastics business. While I alone now benefit from this (I never shared my true salary with them!), it seems to me that PolyOne treats new people better than those who have been loyal for some time. I've also only seen a handful of times where someone internally got promoted out of an individual contributor role. The reality sees to be, if you're doing good at your job, you're too valuable to lose, and the company is better off hiring management from the outside. This is good for short term stability, but I know it ticks the current employees off.

The work-life balance is average to poor, but that's what's expected when you're focused on short term results. We continually change course, have weekly changes in strategic direction, but at the end of the day, we go after "everything" because nobody wants to say no and be blamed for missing their number. I set my own personal limits, like no emailing on Saturdays, because if you don't set your own boundaries, you'll go nuts. It's worked for the stock price, but I question if this madness is sustainable.

In all companies, there will be people who take credit when things go right, and blame others when the bottom falls out. Expect the same here. Luckily I had a good mentor when I started, and took the time to develop professional relationships with those known for that to minimize my exposure. So far, it's worked.

Overhaul human resources - Do your best to avoid ticking off your workforce by promoting competent people who could be superstars with some coaching. Be clear on expectations, and reward people for their accomplishments. And stop cutting costs to make your numbers look better. Having to drive 7 hours because you didn't want to approve a $400 plane ticket - come on!

Great company, great vision but be prepared to work very hard

I worked at PolyOne full-time

Pros

Pays very well - very competitive. Strong values and ethics, and a strong value approach to their products and services. Great people, most of who will go to the wall to help each other succeed and service the customer. Good benefits and can be a stable place to have a career if you are a consistently strong performer. Many divisions and locations so there are lots of opportunities to explore different product groups and positions.

Cons

As a public company, they can often be shortsighted in their tactics in order to ensure they meet their quarterly and year end metrics to maintain/increase their stock price. This can result in different departments having different objectives that may not be in the customer's best interests lon-term. You will work very hard here - in some roles, often nights, weekends and while on vacation. Management gives more priority to commercial and management roles than to support roles which often creates bottlenecks and insufficient support and leads to poor morale. As said in some other reviews, executive management seems to regard personnel as sheep or horses at times - incapable of making good decisions on their own and prone to idleness if they don't stay on them and overload them with metrics and documentation and additional tasks. They have taken away most of the decision making capability from medium levels and hired layers of managers instead, often requiring a series of approvals to get logical things accomplished.

If you have taken the time to train, coach and/or qualify good employees or new hires, trust them to handle the roles that you assign them and try to recognize that while hard work is not the same as results, that most of your employees are doing their best to implement your strategies so it helps to let them know you know that, even when the results aren't as good as you had hoped for or led Wall Street to believe.

Good Company with Lots to Offer

Former Employee - Industry Marketing Manager  in  Avon Lake, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Industry Marketing Manager in Avon Lake, OH (US)

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global reach, strategic focus, good executive leadership, career development opportunities, professional development tracks (LSS), very competent rank and file employees who will work very hard to get the job done, great performance bonuses offer everyone a chance to make some extra money. Would work for them again one day in a different capacity.

Cons

Very conservative culture tends to stifle creativity and entrepreneurial spirit. Some long-tenured employees who really need to consider retirement or moving on. Occasional "not-invented-here" mentality tends to rear its ugly head.

Loosen up and have fun.

Worked for PolyOne? Contribute to the Community!