Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount (in 37 reviews)

• Great brand name, great discounts, generally great co-workes (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job (in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company but not so great quality of staff.

Selling Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsBenefits and discounts are great.

ConsOpportunities to grow are very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention needs to be given to the talent within the company instead of outsourcing.

Best experience of my life

Creative Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIncredible family and most talented group of employees in the industry hands down.

ConsNo challenges, just learn the culture, love it, and you're in like Flynn.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to regional upper management. Support them in becoming more effective leaders.

One of the worst place!

Internal Auditor (Former Employee) Lyndhurst, NJ (US)

ProsGood employee discounts, no formal dress code.

ConsThe Internal Audit Department within Ralph Lauren is considered as a "revolving door" for a reason. The turnover of staff and managers is really high. The management do not care about the employees within the department and rather focus on politics to get the work done. All seniors and managers do the same exact work but they are just titled, and paid differently. No money is spent on training. The upper management only cares about their bonuses and lie to their employees if and when a valid concern has been raised. There is very little personal growth to speak about. I will never recommend the Internal Audit Department at RL for employment to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, provide appropriate training and provide them the growth they truly deserve.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWorking with Ralph directly. Gaining valuable design experience. Working with great minds and not so great minds......and being able to know the difference. The discounts. The cache.

ConsThe Emperor has no clothes! Sycophants making obscene salaries convincing each other that they all look great even while their AARP benefits are kicking in. Horrible cult of denial and truly wicked people who have been in power from the very beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management.

Upper Management is Demotivating

Internal Auditor (Current Employee) Lyndhurst, NJ (US)

ProsWork isn't very difficult
    Get to wear casual clothes daily

ConsThe upper management in my department is completely demotivating. They posses the characteristics that are the complete opposite of what makes a good leader. Constantly looking to blame someone when there is a mistake. Everyone above the manager level is extremely awkward and socially inept. Micromanagement. Unwillingless to listen to ideas/suggestions that go against how they think things should be working even if the suggestion can strengthen a control or provide increased efficiency to a project. They are extremely inefficient; would rather sit and speculate for hours on why something is done a certain way when it could just be answered with a quick 10 minute phone call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you ask your employees "how we can make this a better work environment?" actually mean it! Don't ask just to say you asked and then not listen.

Well-regarded brand to work for

Director Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood stepping stone to other opportunities; Rich brand heritage

ConsCompensation is below industry average; Very political internal work environment

Retail comes with it's ups and downs.

Sales (Current Employee) Destin, FL (US)

ProsFlexibility with scheduling, my starting pay was $10 per hour with no former experience, a 15 minute break every two hours (super nice when its been a hectic day), and having a wide diversity of coworkers. Also, the company pays for the store to have mini "parties" where they serve drinks and food during big days like Black Friday or July 4th. It also looks nice on a resume.

ConsTraining on the cash register is rough since they don't give you enough time to learn and go over everything, managers each have a different way of doing things, managers verbally attack and talk about other employees and managers, and the constant business of the store when you're working the register. We are also told to get the customers name, address and email at check out, at the end of the month you are given a score on how many you got. It's not fair when more and more customers are refusing to share their information. I've worked there for a year and have not advanced in the store. It's like the managers choose new comers for big jobs instead of using who they already have,

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep comments about other employees and workers at the store to yourself. It's disrespectful and it doesn't make anyone respect you either.

Lots of opportunities for growth.

Prosgreat training, flexible hours, summer Fridays. Lots of opportunity for growth. Best in the fashion industry

ConsUnfortunately, the pay at first is not great. It also takes quite some time for promotion

Ok

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Smithfield, NC (US)

ProsEmployee discount make the clothes a fair price
    Starting rate wasn't terrible
    There are a few cool people work there

ConsPromotions, lol, good luck.
    Lack of real structure
    Management wasn't comprised of effective leaders/managers, but people who stayed at the store long enough to be promoted.

Polo Ralph Lauren Experience (online)

Ralph Lauren.com Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) High Point, NC (US)

ProsPeople are generally friendly and fun to be around
    Comfortable atmosphere
    Alot of autonomy in making decisions to pacify the customers

ConsNo flexibility
    A lot of favoritism
    No days off on important holidays, unless you have time off to use

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that employees are your customers and humans to and that they deserve to be treated fairly in all areas--scheduling flexibility, compensation, and advancements

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!