Plum District

www.plumdistrict.com

Plum District Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Learned a ton. Left disappointed.

Home Office (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsAt Plum District you were never bored. There was always more to do than you had time to do it in. Regardless of how long you'd been there you had a chance to contribute.

ConsRidiculously long hours - seeing colleagues online working at midnight was routine, as was getting work texts at 11:30pm. Mid-to-low pay, especially for the hours. Management was terrible at motivation and worse at transparency. Employee burnout was a constant.

I feel like I work for free, that my talents are being used and abused. Husband says this isn't a job, it's a hobby. Ha

District Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexibility, No sales quotas or pressure to produce

ConsYou don't get paid for your hard work leading up to the sale. Then, your deal you sold runs and not too many people buy, you are left with not much of a reward for your hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer DCs full time positions, pay them what they are worth

Inconsistent

ProsFlexibility of schedule, low pressure sales, ability to work from home, offers moms a good work/life balance while using skillset.

ConsDecrease in commission structure, you are required to not only sell and close a deal but then you are only paid if your offer sells in your area which does not always happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain clear and consistent rules and regulations in all areas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy opportunity to make a little extra cash every month

District Consultant (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

Proslots of spiffs and contests to earn cash, gift cards.
    Good regional training sessions and opportunity to meet peers in area

Conscouldn't predict when deals would run - hard to tell client when it'll run when your Regional Manager has authority to change it for any reason. Better deals may bump your deal - even into another month. Hard to predict pay that way.

What a let down!

Upper Management (Former Employee)

ProsForced to self teach and therefore learned a lot.

ConsMost everything about company was a "con."

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have had the best of the best work for you. It is sad that you took advantage of them!

It was a great 12months, but it couldn't last

ProsAs a sales rep, you gain experience in all aspects of the sales cycle and territory management:
    - prospecting
    - cold calling
    - business & market plan development
    - territory development
    - marketing events
    - working with business owners to craft a daily deal that works for their ROI
    - telecommuting
    - CRM
    It was exciting to be part of something new and growing.

ConsIt felt more like an internship than a real position as a full-time sales rep. There was little to no support for sales reps, and constant changing of the company mission. It was difficult to adhere to corporate strategies, as they were ever-changing. There was also minimal training, so unless you are a self-starter and motivator, you have no chance of succeeding or making money.

Terrible Experience

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsWork from home
    Made connections with female sales pro's in other parts if the country

ConsCEO, Megan is mean and belittles sales people and managers in front of others, used to get the entire team on a call and give sales reviews to individual managers.
    Expect you to work 24-7 for very little pay
    E-mails were sent to Managers at all hours of the night, would wake up with a full in-box of e-mails received from 1AM - 4AM
    Have to use your own lap-top and office equipment
    If you are not located in San Fran don't expect to get promoted or taken seriously
    Fired all management expect a few chosen ones only to rehire a few months later
    Poor business plan
    Sales goals are not clear and defined
    Often ask Managers to step down into unpaid part-time sales people
    Unrealistic Expectations in an uncertain industry

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with Megan
    Set clear goals for employees
    Stop Firing at will

This is not a good group of people

District Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe only good thing about this company is the other employees. The connections that are made in your local communities with the businesses that you will partner with.

ConsAn ever changing (and not for the better) compensation package. Division Directors that are so money hungry and have been drinking the Kool Aid for so long that they don't realize or just don't care how they treat their sales people and all of their recently fired regional managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop abusing moms and get rid of your "for moms by moms" tag line as it is not a true testament of how you treat people. Do everyone a favor and file bankruptcy now so as to save more of your hard working employees the embarrassment of being let go suddenly and without just cause.

Woefully unqualified CEO + zero leaders with any online ecommerce experience = Disaster

Former Corporate Office Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsOpportunity to learn about chaos and fast-paced environment of start-up
    Lunch 3 days a week
    Smart, talented co-workers
    Potential of Plum District in the marketplace
    KPCB-backed

ConsCEO is smart but not qualified to run the company and a board who would talk about her behind her back but never removed her
    Botched acquisition and non-integration of 2 companies
    Poor communication and leadership accountability
    Poor decision-making by CEO and leadership - none have had online ecommerce experience
    Zero transparency into goals and strategy of company
    Never a plan in place to actually make money
    No sales strategy ever put in place - esp when Megan ran sales
    Zero understanding of marketing, including acquisition, promotions, retention
    Very poor understanding of how to treat people - and I believe I was one of the ones who was treated relatively well

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Plum District isn't hiring, and management doesn't really care about views of anyone, just that I will remember my experience here and never work with anyone in this leadership team again and will encourage others to do so as well. I am most disappointed by the board, who are experienced enough to know when someone is giving them the runaround, and should have yanked the CEO out of her role long ago.

They are Just Plum Dumb

Regional Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsTalented female Regional Managers. Work from home position.

ConsMisrepresented Regional Manager compensation in the interview process. Constantly changed compensation and goal structures to not have to pay both Regional Managers and District Consultants. Upper management is very cold and has selective memory when it comes to things they've promised. Fired the entire Regional Manager team after wining and dining them in San Francisco, including one woman who left a job on Friday to be fired the following week. Very reactionary.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo find some new jobs. The company won't be around long. Then there's that Karma thing.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!