Plum District
www.plumdistrict.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Plum District Reviews

Updated Mar 04, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Complete and utter disaster

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsThe amazing people I have met while employed and their wicked sense of humor

ConsLack of intelligent leadership; lots of meetings, and talking, and making power point slides but no action taken that will truly grow the business; CEO lacks loyalty or integrity and takes credit for founding something she did not; Using "moms" (the most loyal, well connected group of people in the world) to build a business, and then laying them off with no severance; hiring leadership that is completely clueless and inadequate; no training, no consistency and no idea how to market; basic lack of ability to run a successful business

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing pretend. Investors, potential employees and other potential partners should be cautious. No matter what industry, loyalty and integrity matter and you have neither. You are taking a brilliant business model and ruining it.

Never thought I would walk into something so unethical

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

Prosthe concept is great. Strong woman working their way back into the work place.
 A place for women to truly have the 'work life balance' that is needed in this world.
* Women employing women- what a concept!

ConsNone of the Pros hold true.
*They laid off a large number of their sales force on mothers day weekend. Mothers Employing Mothers? I guess not.
*Reactive environment
*They flew all Regional Managers throughout the country to their HQ for a national sales meeting
*2 days later all those regionals were let go. They were informed when they could not log onto their computers that AM. Leadership then called them (after it was known what was happening) and read from a script that they no longer had a job with the organization.
*These Regionals were top performers in the company
*One Regional had just received the offer 2 weeks prior,quit her position with her previous employer, accepted the Plum District position, flew out to this meeting - worked 4 full days for Plum District only to be called and told she no longer had a position after 4 days on the job.
*Either they are extremely disorganized or extremely unethical
*Immature leadership
*Unethical practices across the board. Reactive changes in commission plan, salaries
*Dishonesty throughout the interviewing process on the reality of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out your ethics. Practice what you preach: 'Know your values and who you are and live your life accordingly' is what the CEO just recently said. Laughable. The CEO does not run your company this way. Or maybe leadership does know that they have horrible values and you are just running the company into the ground with unfathonable business practices and values on how to treat employees. Horrible people in this company. Run from this corporation.

District Consultant

District Consultant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Plum District part-time for less than a year

Prosflex hours, great peer group

Consdisorganized, no training, no direction, false promises of salary

Employees are smart as a whip, but corrupt leadership tanks the startup.

Content Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

Pros*Great coworkers - fun group of people to be around
*Lots of talent, innovative thinkers, hard workers
*Interesting idea that may have been effective if executed properly

Cons*Utter disorganization, along with an overly bureaucratic mentality that prevents improvements in the structure and workflow of the company
*Demoralizing senior level management
*Awful team building exercises used to single out and humiliate individual employees
*Unreasonable work expectations and hours
*Insufficient training
*Flash decisions made in a desperate attempt to inflate failing revenue targets with no regard for their impact on the future of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and respond. They know what they're doing in the daily operation of the business better than you do. Don't lie about how things are going. Everybody knows, and dishonesty makes it unbearable.

Originally inspiring and well intentioned start-up, turned into a disaster and horrific place to work

Former Corporate Office Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

Pros- Good learning experience: Because there were not enough resources and I took on the roles of 2-3 people, I was able to learn a lot and crammed in what seemed like 4 years worth of work experience into my year and a half at Plum District.

- Some great people: So many of the people working at Plum District are/were talented, interesting, smart and great to work with. The coworkers were what kept me at the company for nearly a year after I became extremely unhappy and first considered leaving (I eventually did leave, voluntarily).

-Inspiring idea: I still love the idea of empowering moms to be able to work on their own time and schedule to earn money while still being present in their children's lives. It's unfortunate that it hasn't been executed well at Plum District.

Cons-Brutal, toxic, practically abusive working environment and CEO management style. It was really an environment of fear - the CEO especially did not treat people with respect or dignity, and many people simply disappeared with no explanation or acknowledgment.

-Hypocrisy: Management always spoke to maintaining a good work/life balance and being less chaotic at work, but didn't help the company make any changes to allow for this balance. When I worked at Plum District, I worked 70-90 hours a week. I was adequately compensated (although 10K under industry average for my position), but I know many of my co-workers worked the same hours and were horrifically underpaid, despite their attempt at negotiating a well deserved raise.

-Absurd company goals that were not realistic and the desperate attempts to reach them led to shady and demotivating practices.

-Poor internal communication and people quick to blame others or throw them under the bus. I believe much of this was due to the toxic and fearful environment created by management.

-Extremely low morale and high turnover rate: Even when I was there, it was becoming clearer and clearer that the business model simply didn't work. Without discounts, nothing sold. Burn out rate was also extremely high. Between voluntarily and involuntary turn-over, it was rare that anyone lasted more than a year. Since its start in April of 2010, Plum District has gone through: 3 VPs of Marketing, 2 VPs of Sales, 2 VPs of Product, 1 VP of Technology and 1 VP of Business Development. And this is just the highest level management team - I can't even begin to count the number of Regional Managers & other corporate employees who have left / been forced to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your humanity and recognize the loyalty, dedication, and amazing work that people are giving to your company. Think about the long-term growth and stop making every decision based on the end of month goals. Stand up when you think an idea or practice is unethical or demoralizing. Listen - really listen - when people have the courage to express their opinions or offer constructive criticism. Find something original to do with the incredible network of moms that you have rather than trying to make the daily deal platform work - it won't.

Revolving door / Frequent job eliminations / Strongly not recommended

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsWork from home office / remotely
Generous vacation

ConsThey started out hiring a regional manager for each market in which they wanted to source local deals. They attracted accomplished sales talent, wooed them away from great jobs, to only eliminate their jobs in most case less than a year later. They seem to be fumbling around trying to get the model right to make a buck and pacify their investors. It's really one bad decision after another and, in the process, people are getting dismissed at whim. It's a volatile, unstable environment at it's very best.

All of the regional manager positions have now been eliminated so what they were building their reputation on - that local, connected-in-the-community mom - is now gone. Either they don't know what they're doing or they are cold and calculating. And, the message is all buttoned up in a simple, "We're re-organizing" each time a cut occurs.

You can see for yourself. Just do a simple search on LinkedIn and you can see how many used to work there. Don't kid yourself in thinking they were eliminated due to performance either.

No job security
Jobs eliminated with no notice (dozens of salaried sales management jobs eliminated)
Markets closed with no notice
Many co-workers worked here for less than a year (even as little as a few days) to have their jobs eliminated
No severance pay
Comp plans unfavorably changed at whim
Poor communication
Deals don't sell well for the most part so commissions are extremely low

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some dignity and respect for people and stop hiring people when you know you're not going to employ them for long
Get it together, create a good plan that will work, review it, put it down and come back later to review again, make tweaks, then and only then implement and stick to it - stop with the knee-jerk reactions

Regional

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe women I met at PD

ConsAmazing. They claim to be a company built for moms run by moms. On Friday they fired nearly all their moms. No warning, no true reason, just poof, they were gone. Left a lot of moms in a bad place. The moms who truly built the company are gone! They called 2 moms and fired them the night before Mothers day. Wow, make moms day. The CEO is a fraud, and about as cold as an icecube. Buyer beware, they are almost out of funding.

Good opportunity that went bad.

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

Prosflexibility, nice website, resume builder

ConsThey don't pay and the management is all over the place. They go out and hire the most connected moms (professionals) and expect them to work 60+ hours per week with no room for growth. The turnover is incredibly high and these moms leave very disgruntled leaving field sales managers in an endless cycle of hiring/training. They start and stop projects daily and hire and fire daily. This company is not going to be around much longer as funding has run out and they just laid off their entire sales force, save a few for a last ditch effort. Unfortunate because the concept is a good one, but a total sham.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your resumes ready.

Plum District is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

District Consultant (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsA total fraud of a company. The article today was right on!

ConsA horrible company. The CEO has a 0 % approval rating. Need I say more?

Stay Clear!

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsThe concept is brilliant! There is no doubt that Moms are a very powerful buying force ... and even more importantly are a hugely untapped brilliant work force!

ConsThe beliefs and mantra of the company (FOR MOMS. BY MOMS.) is only skin deep. They only care about bottom like and disregard completely the fact that any success they have experience can be completely contributed to the Moms in the field working their connections. They eliminated jobs over Mother's Day weekend - enough said!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have forgotten that the heart of your company is the moms out in the field! Yes ... we are powerful in our buying, networking and loyalty. But do us wrong and disrespect us ... we can become just as damaging as we can be valuable to your growth!

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum District reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Plum District CEO Susan Kim. All 40 reviews are posted anonymously by Plum District employees.