Plum District
www.plumdistrict.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Plum District Reviews

Updated Mar 04, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Terrible Experience

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsWork from home
Made connections with female sales pro's in other parts if the country

ConsCEO, Megan is mean and belittles sales people and managers in front of others, used to get the entire team on a call and give sales reviews to individual managers.
Expect you to work 24-7 for very little pay
E-mails were sent to Managers at all hours of the night, would wake up with a full in-box of e-mails received from 1AM - 4AM
Have to use your own lap-top and office equipment
If you are not located in San Fran don't expect to get promoted or taken seriously
Fired all management expect a few chosen ones only to rehire a few months later
Poor business plan
Sales goals are not clear and defined
Often ask Managers to step down into unpaid part-time sales people
Unrealistic Expectations in an uncertain industry

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with Megan
Set clear goals for employees
Stop Firing at will

Inconsistent

I have been working at Plum District part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility of schedule, low pressure sales, ability to work from home, offers moms a good work/life balance while using skillset.

ConsDecrease in commission structure, you are required to not only sell and close a deal but then you are only paid if your offer sells in your area which does not always happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain clear and consistent rules and regulations in all areas.

Easy opportunity to make a little extra cash every month

District Consultant (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Plum District as a contractor for less than a year

Proslots of spiffs and contests to earn cash, gift cards.
Good regional training sessions and opportunity to meet peers in area

Conscouldn't predict when deals would run - hard to tell client when it'll run when your Regional Manager has authority to change it for any reason. Better deals may bump your deal - even into another month. Hard to predict pay that way.

It was a great 12months, but it couldn't last

I have been working at Plum District full-time

ProsAs a sales rep, you gain experience in all aspects of the sales cycle and territory management:
- prospecting
- cold calling
- business & market plan development
- territory development
- marketing events
- working with business owners to craft a daily deal that works for their ROI
- telecommuting
- CRM
It was exciting to be part of something new and growing.

ConsIt felt more like an internship than a real position as a full-time sales rep. There was little to no support for sales reps, and constant changing of the company mission. It was difficult to adhere to corporate strategies, as they were ever-changing. There was also minimal training, so unless you are a self-starter and motivator, you have no chance of succeeding or making money.

Avoid if you can -- unless you are in sales

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsFree lunches and good PTO

ConsBrutal culture, senior management is clueless, high voluntary turnover and general lack of understanding of how to build a profitable business. Has had good talent but can't keep them.

This is not a good group of people

District Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Plum District part-time for less than a year

ProsThe only good thing about this company is the other employees. The connections that are made in your local communities with the businesses that you will partner with.

ConsAn ever changing (and not for the better) compensation package. Division Directors that are so money hungry and have been drinking the Kool Aid for so long that they don't realize or just don't care how they treat their sales people and all of their recently fired regional managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop abusing moms and get rid of your "for moms by moms" tag line as it is not a true testament of how you treat people. Do everyone a favor and file bankruptcy now so as to save more of your hard working employees the embarrassment of being let go suddenly and without just cause.

Woefully unqualified CEO + zero leaders with any online ecommerce experience = Disaster

Former Corporate Office Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity to learn about chaos and fast-paced environment of start-up
Lunch 3 days a week
Smart, talented co-workers
Potential of Plum District in the marketplace
KPCB-backed

ConsCEO is smart but not qualified to run the company and a board who would talk about her behind her back but never removed her
Botched acquisition and non-integration of 2 companies
Poor communication and leadership accountability
Poor decision-making by CEO and leadership - none have had online ecommerce experience
Zero transparency into goals and strategy of company
Never a plan in place to actually make money
No sales strategy ever put in place - esp when Megan ran sales
Zero understanding of marketing, including acquisition, promotions, retention
Very poor understanding of how to treat people - and I believe I was one of the ones who was treated relatively well

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Plum District isn't hiring, and management doesn't really care about views of anyone, just that I will remember my experience here and never work with anyone in this leadership team again and will encourage others to do so as well. I am most disappointed by the board, who are experienced enough to know when someone is giving them the runaround, and should have yanked the CEO out of her role long ago.

Complete and utter disaster

I have been working at Plum District full-time for more than a year

ProsThe amazing people I have met while employed and their wicked sense of humor

ConsLack of intelligent leadership; lots of meetings, and talking, and making power point slides but no action taken that will truly grow the business; CEO lacks loyalty or integrity and takes credit for founding something she did not; Using "moms" (the most loyal, well connected group of people in the world) to build a business, and then laying them off with no severance; hiring leadership that is completely clueless and inadequate; no training, no consistency and no idea how to market; basic lack of ability to run a successful business

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing pretend. Investors, potential employees and other potential partners should be cautious. No matter what industry, loyalty and integrity matter and you have neither. You are taking a brilliant business model and ruining it.

They are Just Plum Dumb

Regional Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

ProsTalented female Regional Managers. Work from home position.

ConsMisrepresented Regional Manager compensation in the interview process. Constantly changed compensation and goal structures to not have to pay both Regional Managers and District Consultants. Upper management is very cold and has selective memory when it comes to things they've promised. Fired the entire Regional Manager team after wining and dining them in San Francisco, including one woman who left a job on Friday to be fired the following week. Very reactionary.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo find some new jobs. The company won't be around long. Then there's that Karma thing.

Good idea, some great individuals, lots of funding but incompetent leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum District full-time for less than a year

Pros- Met some intelligent, passionate people
- Great idea for a company powered by moms
- Kleiner Perkins backed
- Access to successful, inspirational guests that would come speak at the company
- Good pay, standard startup benefits

Cons- Culture was depressing: employees from interns through management spent a huge amount of time talking negatively about company prospects and questioning the leadership team
- All of the best people I thought I could learn from had left
- Leadership was always telling us a story, but you could tell from employee buzz that people didn't believe it
- Employee satisfaction surveys in which I (and other co-workers I talked to) would give constructive feedback and low reviews never had an impact. Why ask if you don't plan to do anything?
- People disappeared with no explanation
- Sales goals were nearly impossible to reach
- Hitting an unrealistic number is not motivating--I joined to create jobs for moms and help local businesses
- Shady CEO
- CEO cheerleads all the positive growth, but the whole company knew if we didn't run 20-30% discounts, nothing would sell
- CEO treats employees like children (and not like a Mom). Morning roll-call, time wasting "Inbox zero" and time management exercises, people would leave her office crying, etc
- Lots of meetings, little follow through
- End of the month desperation to make numbers
- Lots of talk about values but the only real value was hitting unrealistic numbers
- Really bureaucratic for a startup

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees talk a lot more then you think they do. Everyone knows that you're spending way too much money and the revenue just isn't there. Spend less time trying to manipulate your people and more time helping them succeed. It's not about CEO cheerleading and making empty promises. Start 'Know(ing) your values and who you are and liv(ing) your li(ves) accordingly'. Stop copying everyone else a year too late and start doing something original. Decide if you care about moms. If you really do, then actually do something about it. Thank your lucky stars the people holding the purse strings haven't tossed you out yet.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum District reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Plum District CEO Susan Kim. All 40 reviews are posted anonymously by Plum District employees.