Planned Parenthood

Updated 17 August, 2014

3.2

Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards
Cecile Richards

Pros
  • Opportunity to work on important issues like health care for women (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, giving back to the community (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a good deal of secrecy and cronyism among the upper management in the Arizona affiliate (in 7 reviews)

• Compensation, constant/high turnover, incompetent management, reputation of the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Community Educator

Pros

It was a great work environment.

Cons

Some days ran a little long.

Compassionate and dedicated workers despite a somewhat intense environment

Pros

One of the best things about working at PP was that the clinicians care so much about patients and they are extremely professional and dedicated. Most of the staff is understanding, compassionate, and hard working. I was proud to work in a place where they dedicate their lives to providing great care to people who really need it and do so in a way that makes people feel comfortable and without judgement.

Cons

The environment can be tense because of the heavy flow of patients in a clinic. The budget is very tight and causes difficulties in various ways.

A great learning experience.

Current Employee - Insurance Biller  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Insurance Biller in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Relaxed environment and friendly staff.

Cons

Management is in the hands of coordinators as well. Favoritism plays a big role within this company.

Decide who's the actual manager. Release duties according to position, instead of granting everyone the privilege to decide issues that effects the entire dept. Have better management skills on a whole. It's chaotic if you don't, resulting in unnecessary mistakes and time wasted.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Micromanaged. All about numbers, not people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Haven, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT (US)

Pros

Meaningful job, great team members, chance to make a difference in a woman's life

Cons

Micromanaged, overworked, center level staffed paid much lower than senior management, they ask for our opinions but do not listen. A bullying atmosphere. Go along with what VP says or you are OUT regardless of what your supervisor thinks!

Do anonymous surveys. Not the Great Place to Work stuff. Everyone on a clinic level knows you KNOW what we write. We need to be able to share concerns without fear of losing our job

Wonderful organization, little room for professional growth due to limited resources and upper management

Former Employee - Online Marketing  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Online Marketing in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Everyone at the national office and all affiliate locations nationwide are mission aligned and truly care about the work they are doing to help people who need it across the country. I've never seen a better group of mission aligned people working in a single place. Everyone is kindhearted who works there: from the CEO, CIO, right down to the security desk. Also, there's lots of great opportunity for networking with outside partners who are fully on-board with PPFA's mission and goals: Facebook, Google, Twitter, Pandora, etc.

Cons

There is a lack of professional growth available due to limited resources and upper management not following through on plans for promotions and major projects. Overall, the office is short staffed digitally speaking. Also, upper management frequently hires friends of theirs, even though they may not be the best fit for the organization overall and in turn, have negative effects on the organization. Often times PPFA is moving 3 steps forward, then 2 steps back.

Prioritize employee retention, hire more digital folks

Revolving door....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

It's an excellent mission and you have the ability to positively impact your community every day. This is "feel good" work so if you believe in the cause, you have the opportunity to feel positive each day.

Cons

Turnover rate is atrocious, it's over 50%. Employees don't feel valued because the pay is so low, especially for the quality of work that is expected. The work is emotional, draining and it can create burnout quickly with the lack of compassion from our employer. It feels like PP serves the patients at the expense of it's workers well being. The atmosphere feels like we're constantly scrambling to make it work and we're one step away from shutting down.

I am concerned for the welfare of this affiliates future. Mid level management is often unprofessional, disconnected, and burned out. It was inappropriate for PP to have me do my exit interview with my immediate manager as opposed to an HR rep-particularly when my manager asked me to rate her performance in a series of questions. It might be worthwhile to clean house and start fresh. Lastly, pay people a livable, fair wage.

Great mission, hard work, low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

The mission and the services we provide to our patients. When a patient is really grateful, it makes it all worth it. The hours can be flexible to accommodate child-care, vacations, and schooling.

Cons

Salary is NOT competitive with other health care fields. Communication has become more transparent, but it could improve.

Listen to the line workers! Provide room for career growth!

Great experience

Former Employee - Public Affairs Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Public Affairs Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

friendly supervisor, able to participate in events and lobby days, great training, co-workers optimistic and passionate about their work, a lot of learning opportunities, great atmosphere

Cons

unpaid internship, sometimes relaxed atmosphere with little work assigned

I enjoyed my time at Planned Parenthood and really learned a lot.

Former Employee - EMT  in  Norfolk, VA (US)
    Former Employee - EMT in Norfolk, VA (US)

Pros

New experiences, personal relationships with patients and co-workers, learned a lot about gynecological practice and health.

Cons

Practically all-female (and many young women) staff and the atmosphere can get quite catty sometimes.

I don't have any advice for the management staff. I enjoyed everything about my time there.

volunteer

Pros

flexible and willing to work with you

Cons

Can sometimes be a little overwhelming.

Worked for Planned Parenthood? Contribute to the Community!