Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014

3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

I like working for the company and the customers, but the manager is awful.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The job is fun and the discount is 25% off! It's rather easy other than lifting furniture and the occasional difficult customer.

Cons

The way that the company handles serious issues. I turned in a complaint for a long list of awful things that our store manager (manager of the year for Pier 1 Imports 2014 Freedom Neal) for anti-gay remarks, name-calling employees, giving our valued customers serious attitude, and for saying something to an employee about the employee having a "stripper name" in front of a customer (she was so embarrassed at this unexplained remark) and the company swept it under the rug after telling me it was very "serious" and that they would deal with the situation.

Management needs to actually deal with these things the way that their policies say that they do. The lies should end.

A dreadful place to work.

Former Employee - Stockroom Manager  in  Brookline, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Stockroom Manager in Brookline, MA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was conveniently close (2 blocks from my house). It seemed at the time there was growth potential and the possibility of good benefits!

Cons

Unfortunately, the culture wasn't about operations, they were about sales. You could do your job flawlessly. But, even if you weren't hired as a sales person, they put pressure on you to sell! And not their product. Their credit card. I feel like I was hired under false pretenses!

I feel like retail companies like this have lost sight that, quick returns and profits, mean nothing without a good operation infrastructure. And if your not selling a quality product and not giving excellent customer service, you shouldn't be even thinking about selling credit cards or rewards programs!

I'd love to continue working for P1, but...

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The merchandise is awesome.
    - The associate discount (25% -including sale and clearance) is pretty cool.
    - The sale percentages are okay (mostly around 20% off the original price).
    - The company is expanding...and it's expanding tremendously!
    - It's okay to "start" here (if you're 18+ years).
    - Freight hours! I'm pretty sure we can actually get the (majority) truck done!
    - Swatch Station, Express Request
    - Merchandise comes to the store within 10 days or less; home delivery takes 14 days or less - compared to weeks!
    - The music that plays is really fun.
    - Dress code is relaxed, which is awesome! Dark, denim jeans or black pants only. Solid black or solid white shirt with finished collar. Close-toed shoes of any kind or color (except tennis shoes/sneakers).
    - Fast paced during Holiday season; you will always be on your toes! It's not as boring like it sometimes is during the "off seasons".

Cons

- The merchandise is fantastic, but very expensive. You know it's getting bad when customers have even said something to your face about the price increases.
    - I feel like we can't even voice our opinions or tell our own SM about what is going on because she's always right and/or it's what "Pier 1 wants" or it's what "our Regional wants". I guess that comes with tenure?
    - I feel extremely unappreciated. I never hear the good things about what I do. That's funny, because P1 "appreciates" it's associates every year!
    - No matter how much we talk about the credit card to customers, it's never good enough. If customers don't want it, stop pushing it! Oh yeah, and your job is always on the line if you don't get any. We've gotten the whole "you'll get written up if you don't get any" approach.
    - The stock room will be the death of someone. No, seriously. Boxes are stacked so high, they're heavy and it's scary to go back there! I'm pretty sure the fire department or OSHA would LOVE to take a trip through our stock room!
    - Kiss your holidays and weekends goodbye! I have yet to have a Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation with my family since I've started working here 4 years ago.
    - Part time positions for Sales Leaders is a joke. I can't even qualify for insurance or anything because I don't work a certain amount of hours. I still have that email!
    - Sales Leaders sometimes work less hours than Sales Associates. (I apparently average around 15-25 a week).
    - At my location, only certain associates are deemed knowledgeable of processing freight, therefore they (including myself) are the lucky ones who sacrifice their Friday nights from 7/8pm-12am. Everyone should have a turn -and know how to do it!
    - Very physically demanding. Make sure you wear non-slip shoes, eat your spinach, take your vitamins, etc.
    - Schedule is not posted every Tuesday like it's suppose to be. When I had a second job, they had to redo their schedule because P1's came out so late in the week.
    - At my location, we have to email our SM to let them know how we did for the night, what didn't work, how we coached the associates, etc. Later in the week, I only have one conversation with my SM about it. I'm still not sure how it's suppose to help us make sales.
    - Getting promoted is a joke! I was suppose to step down and another associate was suppose to start training. The SM starting interviewing outside the company because the ASM starting talking about how the associate wasn't ready, etc. They never gave the associate a chance to train or prove themselves. Gave them an interview and literally said no on the first one.
    - You can earn bonuses...if you make your monthly sales goals and if you're a manager.

- Stick with your own rules! If it is a policy, you need to stick with it.
    - Clean up your stock rooms! I will not die in a P1 stock room and I should not have to fear trying to get a box out of one.
    - Stop beating around the bush and actually communicate with your associates! At least act like you genuinely care about us.
    - Start paying your associates what they're actually worth. One of mine only had an .08$ raise this past year. What an insult. Starting at minimum wage is insulting.
    - Hire people who can actually work! Hiring people who have such limited availability is a waste of time. It makes associates mad, who are staying past their shift, in order for you to find coverage. It's sad when you have to call on one or two people repeatedly because they are the only ones who pull the weight for others. Get rid of those who call out constantly or at least give them a hint!
    - Get rid of flex/on call shifts! It's actually kind of pointless. You either have the hours or you don't to pay people to come in.
    - Pier 1 should be providing food, etc for meetings. Not my paychecks. They use to...$15/meeting!
    - Give all employees benefits and incentives! It shouldn't just be for managers and corporate.
    - All stores should have at least three people working on all shifts. Two people working (myself and one other associate) just doesn't cut it.
    - Get rid of conversion! You can try all you want to to entice customers to buy, but you can't force them to! Just because you go to a restaurant doesn't mean you're actually going to eat the food.
    - Associates should know how to do everything. And I mean everything from processing freight, getting their own merchandise (not letting the managers do everything for them), etc.
    - The SM should be closing at least twice a week. Not once in a blue moon...literally.
    - The customers are not always right! Stop letting customers demand coupons and discounts! This is what policies are for!
    - Get rid of the individual (smaller) tags for every single item! One big sign is plenty for a shelf or some furniture. I'm pretty sure most people can take a hint. Plus, it's wasteful of trees.
    - If Pier 1 was so proud of where and how the merchandise was made, there would be pictures, videos, etc plastered all over the website, other social media outlets, in the store etc. People tell me all the time how they believe the merch was produced by children in sweat shops. That may be true, but people like to see proof or it didn't happen.
    - How about managers and corporate listen to their associates, and take their advice for once. We have opinions and ideas too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A "See No Evil Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burlington, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, WA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job to get you used to high value sales and constant managerial attention.

Cons

Management can get away with anything and higher management can't do anything about it unless they see it. If it's not witnessed by a higher manager, it never happened.

Share the wealth. The pay for each level of employment after entry level should increase a degree more to make people want to stay longer and maybe take up their career there. It's a fun place to work but if the pay is bad everyone is going to jump ship. Losing 1 employee a month in a small store that only needs 2 employees on duty at certain times really needs to keep their staff. Product knowledge is also essential to great sales. If you demand great revenue you better reward with great pay. You can't expect new hires to be able to do what someone with a year's experience can.

Alright place to work but don't pay enough

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

I work with some great people for the most part, the work can be pretty fun if you like interior decorating, and there are benefits offered for all levels of employment.

Cons

Don't pay enough, work is demanding physically and can be dangerous, and they get on your case for not getting sales, conversion, and credit cards even if you are trying your best to get sales and cards. Also, scheduling and hours are a mess. Some weeks I have no real shifts, just ones I have to call in for in case they need extra help, and other weeks I have tons of hours but mostly I end up with one or two 4 and a half hour shifts which isn't enough nor what I was told I would have when I was hired (average of 20/week).

As long as an associate is talking about the card and trying to make the sales, lay off. No one is going to want to shop at Pier 1 if all people ever do is harass them about the card. Also, quit upping the number of associates at a store when there are already several people asking for more hours. Just schedule those employees more instead of screwing them over.

Gained a lot of experience but it's only a summer job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay at Pier 1 for a Sales Associate is above minimum wage in my state, I earn $9.50/hr. I work three or four days a week for about five hours. This is a good balance for me personally because I am a student as well. At this job I have learned multi-tasking because not only I am a cashier but I am a "designer" and a shelf stocker as well. Before this job I had never worked in retail so I learned a lot of interpersonal skills. I was forced to start conversations with customers and convince them to buy from our store. Even though it may seem pushy, many customers do like to be helped. In the end, I became comfortable talking to strangers and made myself in a more charming individual.

Cons

I dislike the P1RCC. I think it is a scam and management will push you to sell it. I would rate my experience 5 stars if I didn't have to sell this stupid piece of plastic. Another dislike of this job is that you will receive little training and will learn from situations where you fail miserably and one of your co-workers will be forced to save you. I like my co-workers but my manager was a pain. He gave me attitude and expressed his annoyance with my ignorance of the cash register. It's not like it was his job to train me or anything.

Instead of selling a credit card why don't you create a rewards card instead? Nobody wants another credit card!

Also try to create a discount that is over 20%. I know that you make those pillows for a dollar. Your margins must be insane. You could be kinder to the customer.

Fun place to work, low pay, no hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brandon, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brandon, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work, other associates can be great to work with, many different tasks to do so you stay pretty busy, pretty flexible with time off requests, good job for a student

Cons

Low pay, if you don't get people to sign up for the pier 1 card your hours get cut even if you are a really good seller, a lot of times it is over staffed or under staffed, my store was full of women so it was sometimes hard to constantly move heavy furniture from the outside storage to the sales floor, discount wasn't that great, hours ranges from 4-16 hours a week

Fun Coworkers, Not Enough Hours.

Current Employee - Hourly Sales Associate  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Hourly Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a perfect job if you need 7-10 hours a week to supplement your income, and are very good at sales. The work environment was pretty fun overall, with very helpful coworkers, especially when just starting out. Learned key sales techniques as well as how to work the POS/how to deal with customers. Customers are most often very friendly and are open to your suggestions.

Cons

- The pay is average for hourly sales associates (9.00/hr, Sales Team Leaders make 11.00/hr).
    - I was promised 15-20 hours a week, however my hours slowly dwindled to anywhere from 4-9 hours a week. Too much pressure to sell their 27% interest rate credit card, which most people scoffed at.
    - You are expected to do everything but make the furniture -- cleaning, polishing, organizing, helping customers, greeting every customer, sweeping, working the register, etc.
    - The one associate scheduled for each shift is often left to work the store by themselves, doing the work of four associates while the manager is in their office.

As far as sharing new employee requirements (Selling X credit cards a week, making X amount of online sales a week), this should be shared with each employee, and not discovered just by happenstance. There is not enough communication from the higher-ups, and any mistake due to lack of communication (Missing a event/transition/other unusual shift, not making online sale quota, etc.), is blamed on associates and not management. I understand selling the credit card is important, but the focus should be on customer service. But overall, communication about vital company/policy changes is critical to the success of this branch.

No room for advancement at this company.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

Great benefits and that is all

Cons

career growth is not available. Training is minimal and people leave for worst companies just to get experience

Consider that your management is the main issue

Too much expected, too little reward

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

25% discount on all merchandise for all associates, including sale and clearance
    You get to see the results of the surveys customers take about you (can also be a con!)

Cons

HUGE amount of pressure to open credit cards and obtain email sign-ups; hours given are based on these results

You get some of the snootiest, rude, and demanding customers

Flex shifts (basically you're on call for a designated shift; you need to call 2 hours before the start time and see if they need you or not) You are rarely called in for them, but you must still plan your day around them

Large amount of stockroom/heavy lifting that is not reflected in your paycheck

Get rid of flex shifts; we are part-time sales associates making minimum wage or a little more, not surgeons. Sales Associates and Sales Leaders have a lot of responsibilities; pay them in proportion to them.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!