Pier 1 Imports

Updated 17 December, 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Has the potential to be either great, or miserable

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at two separate locations during my time with the company. The first was in Arlington, TX and it was absolutely wonderful. I had positive managers that took the time to help us learn and grow with the company, emphasizing the community atmosphere. Because we were so close to the head office we often had leadership training and had chances to meet the higher ups. When I announced I would be moving away to go to school they bent over backwards to make sure I could keep my job and I was truly grateful for the experience.

Cons

After moving I was placed at a store that was always disorganized with poor communication between the ever changing management and the staff. Morale was incredibly low, and when I brought up suggestions to foster team building and improve the store's organization I was put into an unofficial leadership position to help the manager. When someone who was trained by upper management replaced our store manager I lost hours and was scolded for the most minor incidences in what my coworkers told me was an attempt to assert authority.

Fun place to work for seasonal

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount, worked well with my schedule for my other job, good hours to work, dont force you to harass customers, educates associates on a monthly basis and try to help you improve your knowledge.

Cons

Not easy to get permanent position, lifting furniture pieces while standing on tall ladders, unpacking pieces from shipment was sometimes difficult.

The management team was great except the store manager tended to be inconsiderate sometimes. The rest of the managers were great!

sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Larchmont, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Larchmont, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a relatively easy job that always gave me work when I needed it. Love the store, great company. I could request off whenever I wanted or needed ant they were easy going about it.

Cons

Some of the rules were not the same when working in different stores, and they put too much emphasis on the credit cards.

Lots of selling behaviors.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% discount, learn visual merchandising skills, be surrounded by beautiful products.

Cons

Suppression of costs translates to poor employee compensation, including subpar insurance, minimal raises, short work shifts, etc.

Invest in your associates a little more. A lot of talent slips through the cracks when you treat lower level employees like they're disposable.

Worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paoli, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paoli, PA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

25% discount (but at the meager hourly wage, who can afford to buy anything?!)

Cons

Store managers treat "store associates" like slaves. There is no recognition for a job well down, only fault-finding, This is particularly true at the Paoli, PA store. The rules and regulations and pressure to sell--especially the Pier One Rewards Card (credit card)--are onerous. Even though there's no recognition or reward, managers always tell associates the pressure is on them to sell, sell, sell. On one's feet for five hours straight; no breaks. I have logged more than three miles in a five-hour shift.

Make employees feel they are worthwhile contributors to the process. Focus on praise, not reprimands.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Larchmont, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Larchmont, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made a lot of friends, employee discount was 25% off.

Cons

Store Manager sits in the office all day long, and talks/gossips on the phone with managers from other stores . She never lifts a finger to help out staff, complains daily and blames other people for her own laziness and lack of skill. She is terrified of the Regional Manager, which makes for a bad situation overall, because she blames the management team for her own shortcomings. It's hard to work for a manager like this. I'm glad I left that place.
    Keep in mind, it is retail and your experience will vary greatly based on the manager you work with.. It's a shame she's allowed to get away with things at others expense.

I would keep a better eye on your store level managers. It's ridiculous how this one gets away with what she gets away with.

Nothing good to say at all

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not a god damm thing

Cons

Everything! Worst experience ever! Run for the hills!

Practice what you preach. Respect your employees, and you might retain some people

horrible environment

Former Employee - Material Handler in Pooler, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Pooler, GA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1 hr break good kitchen good patio

Cons

word is the managers and supervisors spread gossip in their meetings, even going as far as making fun of employees because of shortcomings . hr manager unprofessional, bad attitude does not care.. director very condescending. very very condescending, been pulled to a supervisor office because i did not agree on how a process was.handled, put on written for it

you have to stop gossiping about your employees, seriously,they hear everything, if they don't someone else from 'your' team tells people the going ons. observing supervisor turnover is high, because they are not respected by upper management

Customer Relations

Current Employee - Customer Relations
    Current Employee - Customer Relations

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Employee discount is by far the best. 25% off of everything. It is also nice you get 3 weeks vacation from day 1 (going to need it working for Customer relations).

Cons

It is worse then being in high school. The management and supervisor have nothing better to do the make comments about how you look, act, talk. To the point that it is bullying. I have over heard one supervisor make an ugly comment about an employee to another in front of that person. I would tell you go to HR but doing that nothing would come of it. Lots of employees both current and past have gone to HR and nothing has changed. They like to say we are 1 Pier 1. However, they don't pratice what they preach. Give holidays off. If the store is closed customer relations should be closed. No one wants to work Easter, thanksgiving, and Christmas.

You left high school, it is time to grow up. People deserve respect. If store is closed everyone should be off. Including customer relations. We have families and would like to spend the holidays with them.

Decent job if you don't need the money

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holly Springs, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holly Springs, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Pier 1 allows you to be creative and become inspired for your own home decorating. And with a 25% discount on all items it is very easy to do! The hours are very flexible - you can leave for months at a time and still have a job when you get back. I've heard other stores have catty and mean customers and workers, but at least at the one I worked at everyone was nice and we were like a family! Many of our customers were regulars and so sweet!

Cons

The pay is absolute crap for the amount of work you are asked to do and the pressure you are put under to sell their stupid in-store credit cards. Also don't ever expect to be scheduled more than 20 hours (during the busiest season) and 16 during the rest of the year. And expect to have to be there very, very early or stay very, very late to do transitions. The higher ups have ridiculous expectations for how long it should take us to transition the entire store.

If you want to keep your good employees, pay them a lot more. I'm a very motivated individual who loves to be constantly busy and even I find it difficult to motivate myself to sell the credit cards when I know I'm only making about $100 a week. Also give us more time to transition.