Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 19 October, 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 110 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work pays off

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer bonuses for meeting your sales goals. They really value every employee and treat you fairly. Very relaxed, fun environment.

Cons

Sometimes the work load expected is a bit much when you have to balance payroll...yet you're still expected to get everything done.

Lifetime career

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Organization is open to feedback and ideas from all levels, and impliments changes quickly
    -Caring and personal work place, from store level to home office, to distribution centers and overseas vendors
    -Always room for professional skill growth, lots of peers with tenure to get advise from, open communiction with RM and DM. Honest, open, no fears of repercussions. No horse and pony shows.
    -Pay is average, depends on your role and location. QTD bonuses for SM, and monthly bonuses for SLTeam and sometimes associates too.
    -Always making sound financial decisions, cash in the bank, invests heavily in tech/online, securing our ability to compete in everchanging retail landscape

Cons

-Difficult to get a store, as most managers are lifers with 10-25 years experience. You may have to move to get one!
    -Time off is hard to schedule, as tasking is heavy during natural times people take vacations. Also management teams are only 4 or 5 people and we often have conflicts.
    -Pier 1 OWNS your Sundays, transitions, meetings, events, markdowns. It is both a hight sales day and a heavy task day, so kiss it goodbye.
    -Heavy turn with part time sales leader postions, and only a few stores(high volume) qualify for getting a full time position in their stores. This is such a critical role in each store, we all need 1 full time sales leader.The time we spend sourcing and training replacements is a total waste, and can kill the internal/external customer experience.
    -Ignore the harping on selling the P1RCard. These customers with our credit card are critical to our future, we are sales people after all, and the charge is something we should want to share with customers. Getting points, reward certificates, coupons and often saving money is part of any natural selling conversation.

-Consider having FULL time sales leads in every store, its a win win.
    -continue to work out the kinks with allocations, ecomm and availability of merch for customers, you may not realise how many managers drive from store to store, picking up items to complete sales for customers(on our personal time)
    -continue to help us get the POS more efficient, the constant delay's, issues with having to do off line returns, and merchandise card exchanges takes forever, and makes us at the store look incompetent. There is a LONG way to go with these registers until they are smooth sailing.
    -thank you for giving us more payroll for freight processing and training, however there is still a disparity in payroll for events and freight.
    -the new survey reporting is terrible, we need to take a masters class in order to decifer it and roll it down to associates. The old company's reporting was incredible, and we incorporated it in with our daily focus. Go back !!!!

I created a family here and enjoyed my tenure at Pier 1 Imports.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very team oriented and we feed energy of each other.

Cons

Scheduling is never really done in advance and there was a lot of pressure for employees to open up Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card.

Keep up the good work!

Okay, entertaining and interesting

Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team work, bonus if we make our stretch for the month and discounts

Cons

after a certain time I felt unappreciated I work really hard and never get recognized or promoted

Really take the time with your associates there is potential and really enforce team work its a main game changer with everyone working together you can make a lot and get credit cards an make your stretch

Wish there was more room to grow at Pier 1

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was straight-forward, I enjoyed interacting with the public on a regular basis, I enjoyed the responsibilities I had as a Sales Associate, I was rewarded and recognized for a job well done when I made a good sale or met a sales or Pier 1 Credit Card goal.

Cons

The professional growth opportunities and room for increase in salary is very limited.

a learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-discount
    -short shifts (could also be a con though)
    -my coworkers and I all felt like a family (I met 2 of my best friends working here)
    -work/life balance, flexible schedule
    -nice merchandise
    -there were times working here where I really did have a lot of fun

Cons

Admittedly...I had a lot of issues working here.
    -The pay is very very low, and absolutely nothing to live off of or support yourself
    -you get almost no hours every week, I think the most I ever got in one week was about 24, but usually it was way less.
    -very high turnover rate...seriously most of our associates dropped like flies in there
    -lots of negative feedback from managers, you're rarely told what you have done right
    -some of the upper management team was extremely lazy and condescending
    -lots of pressure on sales associates to sell, almost to the point to where it felt like we were forcing/guilting a customer into buying things. I felt that a lot of the selling techniques were "sneaky" and too pushy
    -I felt like the values and a lot of how the store was ran was very "old fashioned". We had very old cash registers (that -were anything but customer friendly), I've just never felt that wearing an apron at a store like Pier 1 was very professional, and we're not allowed to wear sneakers to a very physically demanding job.
    -very disorganized...I remember looking in our inventory on a regular basis to show that we had 2 of whatever in stock, and almost never being able to find the items. Or customers never being called because the items they ordered finally arrived, or even misplacing the items they bought in some cases.
    -It got a little ridiculous with how many tasks you were expected to have completed before the end of your 4-5 hour shifts, on top of helping customers.
    -now..the P1RCC......this above everything else. Trying to sell this credit card was the most stressful part of the job. Our hours really did seem to depend on it, and at times even our job. Management would threaten you with a write up if you did not sell the credit card, and there were cases of people in management positions stealing the credit of selling a P1RCC to a customer that another associate had been helping. I had my assistant manager tell me one time that I could not leave the store that day unless I had sold the credit card to a customer.

-don't hire so many people...is it really necessary to have like 200 associates working for the store? (not really, but that's what it felt like). This gives people who have worked for the store for a while, and people who actually deserve it, more hours. because there are so many associates, this causes a huge turnover rate because people are quitting as result of not getting any hours. I think this would help avoid the issue...
    -let us know what we are doing right...constructive criticism, correcting us, helping us is all fine. But positive feedback would be nice every once in a while.
    -the focus should be on customer service and selling the products to the customers, not forcing them into getting a credit card. this part of the job makes it uncomfortable for both the customers and myself. My scheduling should be based on the fact that I showed up for work whenever I was scheduled, always in dress code, never called out, and that I actually tried and made sales, not how many credit cards I sold. Maybe if the benefits of the card were better then it might be easier to push.

A pretty good company to work for if you're going to school.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Very accepting of its peoples goals, and understanding of peoples differences.

Cons

You're trained on the job. So sink or swim.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product and discount there is not really too much else to say. But I have to put a 20 word minimum. Do not work here unless you want to do a lot of manual labor

Cons

Low pay, lots of lifting, upper management thinks it's so easy and does not understand time lines to execute. Promos Change almost daily, or weekly hard to keep up. Always short staffed.

Pay better! Hire a backroom manger. Stop telling your managers it's so easy if you just plan, you can plan all day long and it won't help because the workload out weighs the people avail to do it

Great Product Sabotaged by Poor Management Practices and Culture

Current Employee - Sales Lead - MOD in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead - MOD in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are usually wonderful and appreciate efforts to assist them, or when sharing new ideas and items. Awesome fragrances and very pretty use of color and displays to provide inspiration. Great new furniture products being introduced.

Cons

Disingenuous management. They will imply promotional opportunities exist as a "carrot" to avoid hiring necessary staff and to get more work out of an employee beyond their job description. Will also mess with scheduling (cutting hours to 10-15/wk for a month or more without notice or explanation) if they've been "working you too many hours" and so would have to pay for benefits. Supervisors also improperly force employees to clock out for breaks even though you are not allowed to leave if overlapping management coverage hasn't been scheduled. Supervisors threaten that to not clock out would result in being written up on an action plan. Regional managers have also had store level management falsify employee files in order to (retro actively) manufacture a "repeat" offense. In this area, there is also a well known "personal favorites" clique that, if you're not a part of, would forever keep you as an outsider, or worse, on the "To-Go" list, simply because the regional manager doesn't like your look or your personality doesn't click with hers (read, bend over and kiss her feet).

Also, the Part-Time employment model Pier 1 practices (to avoid paying benefits) which covers nearly ALL store employees, combined with extremely low Associate pay (~8-8.50/hr), fosters high turnover and inadequate employee coverage for basic tasks needed for the functioning of the store and stockroom. This always makes it impossible to meet sales figures, KPIs, etc. on a consistent basis.

Corporate management should guarantee a safe environment to share insights from the store level, while circumventing the regional management teams, in order to learn what is and isn't going on properly at their stores - particularly for repeat underperformers.

Fun Job, Nice Coworkers

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with customers and seeing all the merchandise. The people I worked with were all fun and helpful too.

Cons

I think they push the credit card way too much and approaching customers multiple times while they're in the store. I think employees can be the judge of whether a customer would like assistance or not after one or two interactions.

Give incentives for selling the credit card.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports