Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 19 October, 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 110 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience with Pier One Imports

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I really liked working for Pier One because they were flexible with my schedule, and they really appreciate their employees. You get Christmas bucks and an opportunity to become the employee of the month/year which is neat.

Cons

There is no heavy lifting support. Usually there are two associates working so if you sell a huge entertainment center during a shift you are expected to take it out.

Keep being flexible and appreciative of your employees and your company will continue to thrive. Extra help for heavy lifting is recommended.

Great environment to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun and cheerful environment
    employees very nice
    short hours (shifts 4-5 hrs) and flexible, will work with your schedule
    Can move up to sales leader if hard working and want to move up to management
    get to know your coworkers

Cons

I worked at pier 1 part-time

Hard work pays off

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer bonuses for meeting your sales goals. They really value every employee and treat you fairly. Very relaxed, fun environment.

Cons

Sometimes the work load expected is a bit much when you have to balance payroll...yet you're still expected to get everything done.

Lifetime career

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Organization is open to feedback and ideas from all levels, and impliments changes quickly
    -Caring and personal work place, from store level to home office, to distribution centers and overseas vendors
    -Always room for professional skill growth, lots of peers with tenure to get advise from, open communiction with RM and DM. Honest, open, no fears of repercussions. No horse and pony shows.
    -Pay is average, depends on your role and location. QTD bonuses for SM, and monthly bonuses for SLTeam and sometimes associates too.
    -Always making sound financial decisions, cash in the bank, invests heavily in tech/online, securing our ability to compete in everchanging retail landscape

Cons

-Difficult to get a store, as most managers are lifers with 10-25 years experience. You may have to move to get one!
    -Time off is hard to schedule, as tasking is heavy during natural times people take vacations. Also management teams are only 4 or 5 people and we often have conflicts.
    -Pier 1 OWNS your Sundays, transitions, meetings, events, markdowns. It is both a hight sales day and a heavy task day, so kiss it goodbye.
    -Heavy turn with part time sales leader postions, and only a few stores(high volume) qualify for getting a full time position in their stores. This is such a critical role in each store, we all need 1 full time sales leader.The time we spend sourcing and training replacements is a total waste, and can kill the internal/external customer experience.
    -Ignore the harping on selling the P1RCard. These customers with our credit card are critical to our future, we are sales people after all, and the charge is something we should want to share with customers. Getting points, reward certificates, coupons and often saving money is part of any natural selling conversation.

-Consider having FULL time sales leads in every store, its a win win.
    -continue to work out the kinks with allocations, ecomm and availability of merch for customers, you may not realise how many managers drive from store to store, picking up items to complete sales for customers(on our personal time)
    -continue to help us get the POS more efficient, the constant delay's, issues with having to do off line returns, and merchandise card exchanges takes forever, and makes us at the store look incompetent. There is a LONG way to go with these registers until they are smooth sailing.
    -thank you for giving us more payroll for freight processing and training, however there is still a disparity in payroll for events and freight.
    -the new survey reporting is terrible, we need to take a masters class in order to decifer it and roll it down to associates. The old company's reporting was incredible, and we incorporated it in with our daily focus. Go back !!!!

I created a family here and enjoyed my tenure at Pier 1 Imports.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very team oriented and we feed energy of each other.

Cons

Scheduling is never really done in advance and there was a lot of pressure for employees to open up Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card.

Keep up the good work!

Okay, entertaining and interesting

Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team work, bonus if we make our stretch for the month and discounts

Cons

after a certain time I felt unappreciated I work really hard and never get recognized or promoted

Really take the time with your associates there is potential and really enforce team work its a main game changer with everyone working together you can make a lot and get credit cards an make your stretch

Wish there was more room to grow at Pier 1

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was straight-forward, I enjoyed interacting with the public on a regular basis, I enjoyed the responsibilities I had as a Sales Associate, I was rewarded and recognized for a job well done when I made a good sale or met a sales or Pier 1 Credit Card goal.

Cons

The professional growth opportunities and room for increase in salary is very limited.

A pretty good company to work for if you're going to school.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Very accepting of its peoples goals, and understanding of peoples differences.

Cons

You're trained on the job. So sink or swim.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product and discount there is not really too much else to say. But I have to put a 20 word minimum. Do not work here unless you want to do a lot of manual labor

Cons

Low pay, lots of lifting, upper management thinks it's so easy and does not understand time lines to execute. Promos Change almost daily, or weekly hard to keep up. Always short staffed.

Pay better! Hire a backroom manger. Stop telling your managers it's so easy if you just plan, you can plan all day long and it won't help because the workload out weighs the people avail to do it

Holiday Help for extra income.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help in Millbury, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help in Millbury, MA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. One of the better retail experiences I had. Enjoyed the type of clientele it draws.

Cons

Daily struggle not to knock over displays. Some areas of the sales floor were just a danger zone of glassware and then a manger will tell you to set up a ladder and hang signage.
    Scheduling was hard if you have another job at the same time. They would schedule "on call" hours that you couldn't say no to if they needed you.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports