Pier 1 Imports

Updated 25 November, 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

horrible experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

25 Percent discount
    you can go up in the company
    customers are great

Cons

flexibility hours
    harassed by manager
    obsessed with Ic's

The first few months working here were amazing! My co workers were a blast the customers, managers everyone! up until the company switched managers with us everything went down hill! everyone quit, hours were not flexible at all even if you added your availability 2 weeks ahead of time.The new manager made it feel like you were walking on eggshells every time she came around.Not only that but do i even have to mention the pressure to open credit cards is crazy!! your hours are based on how many you open.

Lots of selling behaviors.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% discount, learn visual merchandising skills, be surrounded by beautiful products.

Cons

Suppression of costs translates to poor employee compensation, including subpar insurance, minimal raises, short work shifts, etc.

Invest in your associates a little more. A lot of talent slips through the cracks when you treat lower level employees like they're disposable.

Teamwork and fun loving environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working here partime works out real well because I can take time off for going back to school, vacations, or whatever needed

Cons

2 weeks of Scheduling is done in advance so make sure you have your days off set on teamworks

Be open to hear and listen to all associates when they have personal issues

A great company which values its employees.

Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Savannah, GA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management, opportunities to cross train, great pay, great benefits

Cons

Sometimes production goals can be hard to reach

Stay great

Customer Relations

Current Employee - Customer Relations
    Current Employee - Customer Relations

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Employee discount is by far the best. 25% off of everything. It is also nice you get 3 weeks vacation from day 1 (going to need it working for Customer relations).

Cons

It is worse then being in high school. The management and supervisor have nothing better to do the make comments about how you look, act, talk. To the point that it is bullying. I have over heard one supervisor make an ugly comment about an employee to another in front of that person. I would tell you go to HR but doing that nothing would come of it. Lots of employees both current and past have gone to HR and nothing has changed. They like to say we are 1 Pier 1. However, they don't pratice what they preach. Give holidays off. If the store is closed customer relations should be closed. No one wants to work Easter, thanksgiving, and Christmas.

You left high school, it is time to grow up. People deserve respect. If store is closed everyone should be off. Including customer relations. We have families and would like to spend the holidays with them.

Wonderful Associates!

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbia, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbia, MD (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Woonderful people to work with. Customers are generally a pleasure. Great products. The employee discount is acceptable.

Cons

Pay is low compared to other retailers. Lots of early mornings if your part of the truck team. Lots of late nights if your part of the transition team.

No longer offers benefits to part time associates.

Does not promote with-in like they could.

A just your pay and promotion scale.

I thought it would be a fun place to work as I had a lot of Pier One accessories in my home.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, 25% off starting on your first day of work. Interesting and fun items to sell. Customers like coming in to the stores as you never know what you will find.

Cons

Very high turnover of employees, at least at the store I work at. Lots that you have to learn on the pos system. POS uses a touch screen which is slow and unresponsive some times. A keyboard would be much faster. They don't explain the hours you will be asked to work, some mornings starting a 5AM, nights that go past midnight. VERY physical work,
    lifting heavy items, going up and down on tall ladders, cleaning of store, stock and freight work, you do it all. Lots of glassware everywhere on very old fixtures, and stacked on high shelves. I find this kind of dangerous and always worry about bumping into certain units as some are not level. Schedules are done at the last minute with some days being a ? or what P1 calls a flex day. Too much customer info wanted at POS which slows down the process and some customers are very annoyed by it. They harp on you about getting P1 credit cards all day long.

Managements idea of incentive for employees is sending cookies or candy. or giving us a little kids sticker on a bulletin board with our name on it. It's as if they think we are five year olds. I would clean up the odd mix of merchandise that is still in the P1 inventory, finger puppets and yo yos, junk like that really looks tacky in a store that is wanting to sell sofas that are in the $800.00 range. I am glad to see that P1 is starting to offer a more contemporary look in the furniture styles and less of the fancy old parlor look. I think pricing of a lot of our items is high compared to our competition ( Ikea, Wayfair). Even with my discount I can ususally find a similar item at a lower cost.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people, including my manager, were wonderful. Everyone worked really hard despite the fact we all rolled our eyes about the fact we were even working there! Everyone knew they were over worked and under paid.

Cons

I really liked my co-workers at Pier One Imports. Beyond that it has to be one of the worst jobs I've ever had. There are so many skus in the store that sales associates are constantly working as stock boys. I always felt pulled between getting the never ending boxes of merchandise unpacked, and relating to customers. Pier one provides a lot of training for a retail store, but there is no commission for those sales. I felt so much pressure to get people to sign up for their credit card, or to buy one more overly fragrant candle. But at the same time I was still getting my crappy $9.00/hour! One day as I was straightening up the pillow wall for the millionth time, a shelf fell on my nose. I was ok, but I realized I was working way too hard for such a low wage.

Pay your employees more. Offer commission.

So many flaws in what seems to be a high-class store.

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People you work with are great.

Cons

The scheduling is ridiculous. Even as a part-time sales associate employee, you should get two days off in a week, most do not. Also, those two days should be put together so you have an opportunity to have some life outside Pier 1. The times sales leaders are being scheduled are at all times of the day. There is no consistency. Time allotted for projects is not estimated well. The LOA policy is very suspicious and hush-hush. No one is allowed to communicate with those on LOA for some odd reason, causing awkwardness among the associates.

Items with the smallest damage are instantly "damaged out." Meaning ripped-up, spray painted, sawed to pieces, etc. Most items could be used for other purposes or refurbished by someone with the talent. We should not be wasting our resources as much as Pier 1 does.

Being promoted from part-time sales leader to full-time sales leader should require a raise. Demand on P1RCC is nearly impossible some months. Make up your mind on whether or not you allow coupons. If you do, allow ones on coupon sites. Store managers must be more qualified. More hours should be assigned to certain tasks. Allow some sort of fraternization. Being friends on Facebook will only build employee morale. It should be up to each individual on whether they want to be social media friends.

sales lead

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Daphne, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Daphne, AL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, flexible hours when fully staffed.

Cons

-It's hard to keep the store fully staffed when the company pays so low and offers so few hours to associates and sales leads.
    - you are expected to do a lot a work for little pay
    - the work is very accident prone and very physical. If you aren't strong or willing to work your butt off, forget it.

My store managers were wonderful and very caring, so no advice needed here.