Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 15 September, 2014
3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

My SM is the best boss I have ever had.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great place to work. Make sure you like glitter!
    The store I work at is wonderful. Our manager is kind and respectful. He values his employees and goes out of his way to make sure they are taken care of (even disregarding his superior's instructions at times). He is willing to help his people advance. He is never too busy to chat with associates about concerns.
    The company is very typical for retail.
    I worked at another P1 in the area. That manager was a nightmare. No respect or compassion for her employees. Each store is different and associates' satisfaction will be dependent upon management.

Cons

That infamous P1 credit card! I hate trying to sell anything to a person that they don't want to apply for.
    They follow the Walmart model; few full time employees, pay that won't support a family.

Find a strong team of full time employees, reward your people with monetary bonuses. Put people in positions that highlight their strengths. Pay a living wage.

I like working for the company and the customers, but the manager is awful.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The job is fun and the discount is 25% off! It's rather easy other than lifting furniture and the occasional difficult customer.

Cons

The way that the company handles serious issues. I turned in a complaint for a long list of awful things that our store manager (manager of the year for Pier 1 Imports 2014 Freedom Neal) for anti-gay remarks, name-calling employees, giving our valued customers serious attitude, and for saying something to an employee about the employee having a "stripper name" in front of a customer (she was so embarrassed at this unexplained remark) and the company swept it under the rug after telling me it was very "serious" and that they would deal with the situation.

Management needs to actually deal with these things the way that their policies say that they do. The lies should end.

A dreadful place to work.

Former Employee - Stockroom Manager  in  Brookline, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Stockroom Manager in Brookline, MA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was conveniently close (2 blocks from my house). It seemed at the time there was growth potential and the possibility of good benefits!

Cons

Unfortunately, the culture wasn't about operations, they were about sales. You could do your job flawlessly. But, even if you weren't hired as a sales person, they put pressure on you to sell! And not their product. Their credit card. I feel like I was hired under false pretenses!

I feel like retail companies like this have lost sight that, quick returns and profits, mean nothing without a good operation infrastructure. And if your not selling a quality product and not giving excellent customer service, you shouldn't be even thinking about selling credit cards or rewards programs!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'd love to continue working for P1, but...

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The merchandise is awesome.
    - The associate discount (25% -including sale and clearance) is pretty cool.
    - The sale percentages are okay (mostly around 20% off the original price).
    - The company is expanding...and it's expanding tremendously!
    - It's okay to "start" here (if you're 18+ years).
    - Freight hours! I'm pretty sure we can actually get the (majority) truck done!
    - Swatch Station, Express Request
    - Merchandise comes to the store within 10 days or less; home delivery takes 14 days or less - compared to weeks!
    - The music that plays is really fun.
    - Dress code is relaxed, which is awesome! Dark, denim jeans or black pants only. Solid black or solid white shirt with finished collar. Close-toed shoes of any kind or color (except tennis shoes/sneakers).
    - Fast paced during Holiday season; you will always be on your toes! It's not as boring like it sometimes is during the "off seasons".

Cons

- The merchandise is fantastic, but very expensive. You know it's getting bad when customers have even said something to your face about the price increases.
    - I feel like we can't even voice our opinions or tell our own SM about what is going on because she's always right and/or it's what "Pier 1 wants" or it's what "our Regional wants". I guess that comes with tenure?
    - I feel extremely unappreciated. I never hear the good things about what I do. That's funny, because P1 "appreciates" it's associates every year!
    - No matter how much we talk about the credit card to customers, it's never good enough. If customers don't want it, stop pushing it! Oh yeah, and your job is always on the line if you don't get any. We've gotten the whole "you'll get written up if you don't get any" approach.
    - The stock room will be the death of someone. No, seriously. Boxes are stacked so high, they're heavy and it's scary to go back there! I'm pretty sure the fire department or OSHA would LOVE to take a trip through our stock room!
    - Kiss your holidays and weekends goodbye! I have yet to have a Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation with my family since I've started working here 4 years ago.
    - Part time positions for Sales Leaders is a joke. I can't even qualify for insurance or anything because I don't work a certain amount of hours. I still have that email!
    - Sales Leaders sometimes work less hours than Sales Associates. (I apparently average around 15-25 a week).
    - At my location, only certain associates are deemed knowledgeable of processing freight, therefore they (including myself) are the lucky ones who sacrifice their Friday nights from 7/8pm-12am. Everyone should have a turn -and know how to do it!
    - Very physically demanding. Make sure you wear non-slip shoes, eat your spinach, take your vitamins, etc.
    - Schedule is not posted every Tuesday like it's suppose to be. When I had a second job, they had to redo their schedule because P1's came out so late in the week.
    - At my location, we have to email our SM to let them know how we did for the night, what didn't work, how we coached the associates, etc. Later in the week, I only have one conversation with my SM about it. I'm still not sure how it's suppose to help us make sales.
    - Getting promoted is a joke! I was suppose to step down and another associate was suppose to start training. The SM starting interviewing outside the company because the ASM starting talking about how the associate wasn't ready, etc. They never gave the associate a chance to train or prove themselves. Gave them an interview and literally said no on the first one.
    - You can earn bonuses...if you make your monthly sales goals and if you're a manager.

- Stick with your own rules! If it is a policy, you need to stick with it.
    - Clean up your stock rooms! I will not die in a P1 stock room and I should not have to fear trying to get a box out of one.
    - Stop beating around the bush and actually communicate with your associates! At least act like you genuinely care about us.
    - Start paying your associates what they're actually worth. One of mine only had an .08$ raise this past year. What an insult. Starting at minimum wage is insulting.
    - Hire people who can actually work! Hiring people who have such limited availability is a waste of time. It makes associates mad, who are staying past their shift, in order for you to find coverage. It's sad when you have to call on one or two people repeatedly because they are the only ones who pull the weight for others. Get rid of those who call out constantly or at least give them a hint!
    - Get rid of flex/on call shifts! It's actually kind of pointless. You either have the hours or you don't to pay people to come in.
    - Pier 1 should be providing food, etc for meetings. Not my paychecks. They use to...$15/meeting!
    - Give all employees benefits and incentives! It shouldn't just be for managers and corporate.
    - All stores should have at least three people working on all shifts. Two people working (myself and one other associate) just doesn't cut it.
    - Get rid of conversion! You can try all you want to to entice customers to buy, but you can't force them to! Just because you go to a restaurant doesn't mean you're actually going to eat the food.
    - Associates should know how to do everything. And I mean everything from processing freight, getting their own merchandise (not letting the managers do everything for them), etc.
    - The SM should be closing at least twice a week. Not once in a blue moon...literally.
    - The customers are not always right! Stop letting customers demand coupons and discounts! This is what policies are for!
    - Get rid of the individual (smaller) tags for every single item! One big sign is plenty for a shelf or some furniture. I'm pretty sure most people can take a hint. Plus, it's wasteful of trees.
    - If Pier 1 was so proud of where and how the merchandise was made, there would be pictures, videos, etc plastered all over the website, other social media outlets, in the store etc. People tell me all the time how they believe the merch was produced by children in sweat shops. That may be true, but people like to see proof or it didn't happen.
    - How about managers and corporate listen to their associates, and take their advice for once. We have opinions and ideas too.

A "See No Evil Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burlington, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, WA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job to get you used to high value sales and constant managerial attention.

Cons

Management can get away with anything and higher management can't do anything about it unless they see it. If it's not witnessed by a higher manager, it never happened.

Share the wealth. The pay for each level of employment after entry level should increase a degree more to make people want to stay longer and maybe take up their career there. It's a fun place to work but if the pay is bad everyone is going to jump ship. Losing 1 employee a month in a small store that only needs 2 employees on duty at certain times really needs to keep their staff. Product knowledge is also essential to great sales. If you demand great revenue you better reward with great pay. You can't expect new hires to be able to do what someone with a year's experience can.

Upper management could have been better

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Okemos, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Okemos, MI (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people, the wages, truck day, the new products every couple months

Cons

The hours, Christmas stuff so early

Pier 1 Imports has taught me so much in so little time.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting a little over minimum wage for sales associates, chance to move forward in the company. Great customer service is a must. Upper management maintains some communication with stores individually. 25% discount.

Cons

Hours depend on performance the week before.

Enforce every store has monthly store meetings. Perhaps include some more sales training for new employees to be more comfortable.

I LOVE this job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company treats you like family. We have fun & work hard. We get to interact & get to know our customers. I have had no problem getting time off when needed. We're always having new merchandise & new sales to interest people. There's always room for advancement. For instance, our Asst. Mgr. recently got her own store. One person moved up which left an open position which is being filled this week. That also left an open position which is soon to be filled.

Cons

Pay is probably the only drawback I have had, but the discount helps makes up for it.

Pay is important if you expect more than just a warm body. Most people have a "real" job that's paying the bills therefore it's extra money, but you still want to feel like it's worth your while coming to work. Gas 7 other bills go up but not so much with our pay. I suppose the best advice I can give is to always make your employees feel important. No-one wants to be treated like a child. Give people credit for the knowledge they have.

Fun exPIERence

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment to work in especially if you enjoy home décor.

Cons

The company does not like to schedule workers for longer then 4 hours a day, this job is great if you need extra cash but it is not going to cover all of your living expenses.

A quirky work enviorment that will keep you on your toes

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun and interesting products to work with
    -The great enviornment
    -The customers
    -Cooperation with Unicef (donating a lot each year)

Cons

-Raises are impossible and the annual raise is small
    -Selling the card (when it turns into pressuring)
    -A lot of hard physical labor for little pay
    -You need to know a lot about ecommerce and deliveries

-If you work for your people, your people will work for you. Raises should be able to be earned through hardwork and drive.
    -The stance on tattoos and piercings needs room for growth.
    -Management/Coworker relations should change a bit. I dislike how they discourage friendships between everyone.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!