Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 60 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 107 reviews)

• Only part time positions for associates but hours are never amounting to 20 not even to 16 ours (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Just an average part time job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

-good part time work for high school/college students looking for extra money
    -25% discount

Cons

-no opportunity to advance
    -most of the products are overpriced crap
    -way too much pressure to sell credit cards, makes customers irritated/uncomfortable
    -low pay, low hours. This is not a job for someone with a family to feed.
    -unreliable scheduling (flex shifts, varied hours, schedule not posted until late in the week so there can be conflicts if you work 2 jobs)
    -inappropriate clothing requirements (no one is allowed to wear sneakers, despite daily ladder use, furniture moving, and stockroom work)

-Back off with the credit cards. Don't punish employees if a customer doesn't want one.

Not as shiny as it looks on the outside

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Attempt to engage associates

Cons

0 room for career advancement past store manager. They only hire externally for anything higher than that. Extremely low wages with often no raises. It's all who you know and not your work performance.

Engage your people better and reward them for the hard work it takes to make the store a success. Stop hiring external snake oil salesman who can talk the good talk and actually don't do anything once in their roles. You have dedicated people who have proven time and time again to be successful in the organization. Tap into that talent and set up a training program to get Store Managers to the next level.

Me experience was good

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn lots of merchandising and matching coclors

Cons

Low pay, silly rules and not structure with horrible in stock counts. Their inventory is always off. Also no placement on district team, lots of managers are not strong enough to be managers

Better rules and hire sales people not just older people who need a job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people and lots of potential for the company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Pros

awesome vacation, work/life balance, flexible work hours; trusting leadership, for the most part

Cons

Low pay, long commute, work in silos; old fashioned thinking; the organization is its own worst enemy. The company functions like a start up (no real office supplies, old computers, etc).

Invest in your people (including current, not just new) and technology. Without investment, it's tough to grow and evolve with the times.

My SM is the best boss I have ever had.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great place to work. Make sure you like glitter!
    The store I work at is wonderful. Our manager is kind and respectful. He values his employees and goes out of his way to make sure they are taken care of (even disregarding his superior's instructions at times). He is willing to help his people advance. He is never too busy to chat with associates about concerns.
    The company is very typical for retail.
    I worked at another P1 in the area. That manager was a nightmare. No respect or compassion for her employees. Each store is different and associates' satisfaction will be dependent upon management.

Cons

That infamous P1 credit card! I hate trying to sell anything to a person that they don't want to apply for.
    They follow the Walmart model; few full time employees, pay that won't support a family.

Find a strong team of full time employees, reward your people with monetary bonuses. Put people in positions that highlight their strengths. Pay a living wage.

Lifetime career

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Organization is open to feedback and ideas from all levels, and impliments changes quickly
    -Caring and personal work place, from store level to home office, to distribution centers and overseas vendors
    -Always room for professional skill growth, lots of peers with tenure to get advise from, open communiction with RM and DM. Honest, open, no fears of repercussions. No horse and pony shows.
    -Pay is average, depends on your role and location. QTD bonuses for SM, and monthly bonuses for SLTeam and sometimes associates too.
    -Always making sound financial decisions, cash in the bank, invests heavily in tech/online, securing our ability to compete in everchanging retail landscape

Cons

-Difficult to get a store, as most managers are lifers with 10-25 years experience. You may have to move to get one!
    -Time off is hard to schedule, as tasking is heavy during natural times people take vacations. Also management teams are only 4 or 5 people and we often have conflicts.
    -Pier 1 OWNS your Sundays, transitions, meetings, events, markdowns. It is both a hight sales day and a heavy task day, so kiss it goodbye.
    -Heavy turn with part time sales leader postions, and only a few stores(high volume) qualify for getting a full time position in their stores. This is such a critical role in each store, we all need 1 full time sales leader.The time we spend sourcing and training replacements is a total waste, and can kill the internal/external customer experience.
    -Ignore the harping on selling the P1RCard. These customers with our credit card are critical to our future, we are sales people after all, and the charge is something we should want to share with customers. Getting points, reward certificates, coupons and often saving money is part of any natural selling conversation.

-Consider having FULL time sales leads in every store, its a win win.
    -continue to work out the kinks with allocations, ecomm and availability of merch for customers, you may not realise how many managers drive from store to store, picking up items to complete sales for customers(on our personal time)
    -continue to help us get the POS more efficient, the constant delay's, issues with having to do off line returns, and merchandise card exchanges takes forever, and makes us at the store look incompetent. There is a LONG way to go with these registers until they are smooth sailing.
    -thank you for giving us more payroll for freight processing and training, however there is still a disparity in payroll for events and freight.
    -the new survey reporting is terrible, we need to take a masters class in order to decifer it and roll it down to associates. The old company's reporting was incredible, and we incorporated it in with our daily focus. Go back !!!!

A pretty good company to work for if you're going to school.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Very accepting of its peoples goals, and understanding of peoples differences.

Cons

You're trained on the job. So sink or swim.

Fun Job, Nice Coworkers

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with customers and seeing all the merchandise. The people I worked with were all fun and helpful too.

Cons

I think they push the credit card way too much and approaching customers multiple times while they're in the store. I think employees can be the judge of whether a customer would like assistance or not after one or two interactions.

Give incentives for selling the credit card.

Holiday Help for extra income.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help  in  Millbury, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help in Millbury, MA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere. One of the better retail experiences I had. Enjoyed the type of clientele it draws.

Cons

Daily struggle not to knock over displays. Some areas of the sales floor were just a danger zone of glassware and then a manger will tell you to set up a ladder and hang signage.
    Scheduling was hard if you have another job at the same time. They would schedule "on call" hours that you couldn't say no to if they needed you.

Loved working there

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chico, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

great staff and mangers

Cons

hours aren't so good

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports
christmas

+ Add Photo

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!