Pier 1 Imports

Updated 19 August, 2014

3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun exPIERence

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ (US)

Pros

Fun environment to work in especially if you enjoy home décor.

Cons

The company does not like to schedule workers for longer then 4 hours a day, this job is great if you need extra cash but it is not going to cover all of your living expenses.

Fun place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Customers are generally happy because it is a place to shop for the non necessities. That makes it fun.
    Shifts are excellent for those who want part time work. Generally 4 hour shifts.

Cons

Low minimum wage compensation for part time retail associates.

Only difficult part of working in the stores is the slow computer network. The system seems to be so overloaded that searching for product for customers is a long wait. And the attention to pushing the Pier 1 credit card degrades our store to the level of a Fred Meyer and Target.

A quirky work enviorment that will keep you on your toes

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

-Fun and interesting products to work with
    -The great enviornment
    -The customers
    -Cooperation with Unicef (donating a lot each year)

Cons

-Raises are impossible and the annual raise is small
    -Selling the card (when it turns into pressuring)
    -A lot of hard physical labor for little pay
    -You need to know a lot about ecommerce and deliveries

-If you work for your people, your people will work for you. Raises should be able to be earned through hardwork and drive.
    -The stance on tattoos and piercings needs room for growth.
    -Management/Coworker relations should change a bit. I dislike how they discourage friendships between everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Pros

Love it! Management and co-workers are great. Wonderful family atmosphere!

Cons

Just the usual that comes along with retail. Haven't seen anything that is a "con'.

Stable Part-Time Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

Pros

Plenty of flexibility if you're reliable and a team player. Used my strengths. Staff worked well as a team for the most part. Explicit on expectations and training. If you get into the right store, the job is alot of fun especially when the "holiday" stock comes rolling in. (and inventory day tends to be fun as well)

Cons

Sometimes a "rotten apple" will be hired and will throw the "team" off until they are inevitably removed. Sometimes budgeting doesn't allow for as many hours as you may want.

Laid back part-time job! Especially if you don't need a lot of work hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ (US)

Pros

Great atmosphere in the store. Especially around the holidays.
    Great coworkers and kind management. Makes the job a lot more enjoyable and entertaining!
    For the most part, the people they hire a genuine, kind people. Easy to get along with.

Cons

Low pay- minimum wage.
    A lot of on-call shifts, so hours can be unreliable.
    Shifts can be long and boring, hard to keep yourself busy.

Let the merchandise and especially the credit cards sell themselves a little more. Tell people about the offers, but don't harass them with it. Sales Associates role should be more of a customer education/advising role. Gre

My experience at Pier 1 Imports

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Long Beach, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, NY (US)

Pros

With every customer who signs up for the rewards credit card, the sales associate responsible for that sale is given points, or a score. The competition keeps this job interesting since it can be dull and redundant assisting customers who may not always be so welcoming to the interactive shopping environment. Each sales associate is assigned to a specific station in the store: Greeter, Seating, Kitchen and Dining, Pillows, Candles, Gifts, Lamps, and Register. I was hired as a part time, as all the sales associates are. I had time for school and another job, so I was flexible and not given a strict schedule with set days (this can work for you or against you depending on your preference). There are great benefits for Pier 1 Imports employees and a discount. The crew quickly felt like a family, if I needed someone to cover my shift, I could count on numerous coworkers to be reliable and happy to swap shifts. The sales manager always kind and sensitive when talking with the associates and customers, but appeared and acted stoic if there were stressful situations with dissatisfied customers(A huge plus in retail!). "Holiday Bucks", money to spend at the store gifted during winter holidays, which was an awesome way to reward staff of our hard work. The pay is negotiable and if you are performing well, there is room for advancement and the hard work is translated into awards and raises. A good team to work with. A lot of collaboration and friendship encouraged our team to be happy and strong and have a ton of respect for one another.

Cons

They have way too many sales associates on the schedule, and at once there will be around 6 on the floor, so the hours are too short and too few. If you work here, accept the fact that you may only work 12-15 hours a week. Furniture items range in scale and weight, so unfortunately when an item arrived for customers, there were a lot of times I was short of help from the stock who were unstaffed during my shifts(super inconvenient if items were scheduled for customer pick up). In an effort to avoid injury, and many times carrying things heavier than myself, probably struggling more than any of us would like to admit. Obviously that frustrated customers who expected quick and efficient help from us.

Great Place to Work !

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Merrillville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Merrillville, IN (US)

Pros

Here is a place where we are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. We are able to use our creative side to help people bring together the look they have envisioned for a room, a space, or an event. The sales and discounts we inform our guest about always puts a smile on their faces. It's a very satisfying feeling when we make that connection.

Cons

Took about three days for my feet to get use to the standing.

No advice. Just a comment: She makes herself always available to her team. She knows a great team is the reflection of a great Manager.

Depending on Management the exPIERience is great! Teams are like family and we work together. Very fun environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Eagan, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN (US)

Pros

Flexible hours, great time in the stock room opening new products, friendly staff, fun to help people make their spaces reflect their styles. Definitely a place to work hard and show your self you are able to do more than you thought. Ideas are always considered and potentially put into place. Management works within your limitations and coaches to help you succeed.

Cons

Very few opportunities to be a full time employee. Some employees do not contain adequate strength to manage heavy lifting to which a select few handle those duties. Supplies for the store a very expensive.

Perhaps the employees that have been with the company for a few to several years offer them an opportunity to be a full time sales associate.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

I loved working here! Fair pay, good hours and fun job.

Cons

Just retail life. Working Saturdays, late nights, etc.

Lay off trying to sell the credit cards! It's hard to do nowadays and measuring performance based on credit card quotas just isn't realistic.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!