Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 60 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 107 reviews)

• Only part time positions for associates but hours are never amounting to 20 not even to 16 ours (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work pays off

Former Employee - Sales Leader  in  Pasadena, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They offer bonuses for meeting your sales goals. They really value every employee and treat you fairly. Very relaxed, fun environment.

Cons

Sometimes the work load expected is a bit much when you have to balance payroll...yet you're still expected to get everything done.

I created a family here and enjoyed my tenure at Pier 1 Imports.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is very team oriented and we feed energy of each other.

Cons

Scheduling is never really done in advance and there was a lot of pressure for employees to open up Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card.

Keep up the good work!

Okay, entertaining and interesting

Current Employee - Merchandise  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Team work, bonus if we make our stretch for the month and discounts

Cons

after a certain time I felt unappreciated I work really hard and never get recognized or promoted

Really take the time with your associates there is potential and really enforce team work its a main game changer with everyone working together you can make a lot and get credit cards an make your stretch

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wish there was more room to grow at Pier 1

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Training was straight-forward, I enjoyed interacting with the public on a regular basis, I enjoyed the responsibilities I had as a Sales Associate, I was rewarded and recognized for a job well done when I made a good sale or met a sales or Pier 1 Credit Card goal.

Cons

The professional growth opportunities and room for increase in salary is very limited.

a learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

-discount
    -short shifts (could also be a con though)
    -my coworkers and I all felt like a family (I met 2 of my best friends working here)
    -work/life balance, flexible schedule
    -nice merchandise
    -there were times working here where I really did have a lot of fun

Cons

Admittedly...I had a lot of issues working here.
    -The pay is very very low, and absolutely nothing to live off of or support yourself
    -you get almost no hours every week, I think the most I ever got in one week was about 24, but usually it was way less.
    -very high turnover rate...seriously most of our associates dropped like flies in there
    -lots of negative feedback from managers, you're rarely told what you have done right
    -some of the upper management team was extremely lazy and condescending
    -lots of pressure on sales associates to sell, almost to the point to where it felt like we were forcing/guilting a customer into buying things. I felt that a lot of the selling techniques were "sneaky" and too pushy
    -I felt like the values and a lot of how the store was ran was very "old fashioned". We had very old cash registers (that -were anything but customer friendly), I've just never felt that wearing an apron at a store like Pier 1 was very professional, and we're not allowed to wear sneakers to a very physically demanding job.
    -very disorganized...I remember looking in our inventory on a regular basis to show that we had 2 of whatever in stock, and almost never being able to find the items. Or customers never being called because the items they ordered finally arrived, or even misplacing the items they bought in some cases.
    -It got a little ridiculous with how many tasks you were expected to have completed before the end of your 4-5 hour shifts, on top of helping customers.
    -now..the P1RCC......this above everything else. Trying to sell this credit card was the most stressful part of the job. Our hours really did seem to depend on it, and at times even our job. Management would threaten you with a write up if you did not sell the credit card, and there were cases of people in management positions stealing the credit of selling a P1RCC to a customer that another associate had been helping. I had my assistant manager tell me one time that I could not leave the store that day unless I had sold the credit card to a customer.

-don't hire so many people...is it really necessary to have like 200 associates working for the store? (not really, but that's what it felt like). This gives people who have worked for the store for a while, and people who actually deserve it, more hours. because there are so many associates, this causes a huge turnover rate because people are quitting as result of not getting any hours. I think this would help avoid the issue...
    -let us know what we are doing right...constructive criticism, correcting us, helping us is all fine. But positive feedback would be nice every once in a while.
    -the focus should be on customer service and selling the products to the customers, not forcing them into getting a credit card. this part of the job makes it uncomfortable for both the customers and myself. My scheduling should be based on the fact that I showed up for work whenever I was scheduled, always in dress code, never called out, and that I actually tried and made sales, not how many credit cards I sold. Maybe if the benefits of the card were better then it might be easier to push.

an in the meantime job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

-Great team to work with, fellow coworkers are pretty encouraging and great to be around.
    -managers are great and pretty easy to work with. There is definitely a sense of community and support.

Cons

-not great pay and lousy raises. One of the highest increases received was 20 cents.
    -it's retail, customers always feel more entitled and condescending
    -25% discount, which isn't bad, but considering our cheapest product is wine glasses or mugs, it doesn't exactly inspire investment back in.

fun environment. Good place to learn.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love working with the other employees, love the customers. Product is good.

Cons

Pay is low. Expected to do a lot of physical work.

Compensation is poor. Incentive system is poor.

Very pushy environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% off discount.
    fun seeing all the new merchandise come in

Cons

Flexes!!!! If you have a flex shift it means you have to call two hours before your shift to see if they need you in or not. its a huge waste of time and i have flexes every day. either my first half or second half of my shifts are flexes.

this job is terrible at working around schedules. I can't work a hour after store is closed for safety reasons but they schedule me for transitions that mean I don't leave until 1am and I have no way home so I have to walk or call a cab. I explained to my manager and put in teamworks my availability which is pretty flexable because I can work seven days a week open to close but they still choose to disregard my safety and take advantage of me and force me to work at times in unable and leave me stranded.

they want you to harass customers. We have to greet every customer that comes in the store and ask them what brings them in (which customers usually say they are browsing and give you a look like go away) than you have to touch back in with them to push sales and the card than when you ring them out push the card and the survey. Its just too pushy

I climb matters everyday. The store is so crowded with merchandise they stack things ontop of each other and the store looks clustered. Unorganized I can't find merchandise. IMAX will say we have two items and I just can't locate them so the disorganization is causing loss of sales. When I climb latters to get chairs up on the diameter of the store I don't feel safe and I'm forced to lift chairs on latters regardless of my fears of safety.

turnover rate is high. Employees dont stick.

pay is bad. Not worth all the harassing, waste of time flexes I have to stop my life for and never get called in, risks of injury and they will fight you on workmans comp. But expect you to climb like a monkey and move heavy furniture. No safety belts or anything

Our safety should come first. it obviously doesnt at all whatsoever! I agree on pushing the card but theres a fine line between pushing and harassing! And dont expect to pay close to minimum wage with 12 hours a week and get $26 a hour fulltime work! Care about the people who have influence on your customers!

Made great friends and learned a lot about merchandising.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked with wonderful people and the job provides tons of exercise. The products are overall pretty cool. The music is fun and upbeat. If you work only PT and you are good at opening credit cards, it can be very enjoyable.

Cons

The distribution center is a nightmare, which made store-level merchandise flow terribly hard to manage. They don't offer a realistic amount of payroll to get necessary work done and there's been an increasing amount of damaged product which leads to unhappy customers. Their (high interest/low benefit) credit card is hard to push and there's tons of pressure to do so.

Add 20% more payroll and lower the credit card pressure, or offer better benefits to open/use one. I agree the 6 selling standards are important. Trying to uphold them with only 2 or 3 people in the store while attending to walk-ins, pick-ups, phone calls, E-comm, and customer service issues is nearly impossible, even with the best intentions and effort.

Not as shiny as it looks on the outside

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Attempt to engage associates

Cons

0 room for career advancement past store manager. They only hire externally for anything higher than that. Extremely low wages with often no raises. It's all who you know and not your work performance.

Engage your people better and reward them for the hard work it takes to make the store a success. Stop hiring external snake oil salesman who can talk the good talk and actually don't do anything once in their roles. You have dedicated people who have proven time and time again to be successful in the organization. Tap into that talent and set up a training program to get Store Managers to the next level.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports
christmas

+ Add Photo

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!