Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 17 September, 2014
3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Wish there was more room to grow at Pier 1

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Training was straight-forward, I enjoyed interacting with the public on a regular basis, I enjoyed the responsibilities I had as a Sales Associate, I was rewarded and recognized for a job well done when I made a good sale or met a sales or Pier 1 Credit Card goal.

Cons

The professional growth opportunities and room for increase in salary is very limited.

A pretty good company to work for if you're going to school.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Very accepting of its peoples goals, and understanding of peoples differences.

Cons

You're trained on the job. So sink or swim.

Lifetime career

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Organization is open to feedback and ideas from all levels, and impliments changes quickly
    -Caring and personal work place, from store level to home office, to distribution centers and overseas vendors
    -Always room for professional skill growth, lots of peers with tenure to get advise from, open communiction with RM and DM. Honest, open, no fears of repercussions. No horse and pony shows.
    -Pay is average, depends on your role and location. QTD bonuses for SM, and monthly bonuses for SLTeam and sometimes associates too.
    -Always making sound financial decisions, cash in the bank, invests heavily in tech/online, securing our ability to compete in everchanging retail landscape

Cons

-Difficult to get a store, as most managers are lifers with 10-25 years experience. You may have to move to get one!
    -Time off is hard to schedule, as tasking is heavy during natural times people take vacations. Also management teams are only 4 or 5 people and we often have conflicts.
    -Pier 1 OWNS your Sundays, transitions, meetings, events, markdowns. It is both a hight sales day and a heavy task day, so kiss it goodbye.
    -Heavy turn with part time sales leader postions, and only a few stores(high volume) qualify for getting a full time position in their stores. This is such a critical role in each store, we all need 1 full time sales leader.The time we spend sourcing and training replacements is a total waste, and can kill the internal/external customer experience.
    -Ignore the harping on selling the P1RCard. These customers with our credit card are critical to our future, we are sales people after all, and the charge is something we should want to share with customers. Getting points, reward certificates, coupons and often saving money is part of any natural selling conversation.

-Consider having FULL time sales leads in every store, its a win win.
    -continue to work out the kinks with allocations, ecomm and availability of merch for customers, you may not realise how many managers drive from store to store, picking up items to complete sales for customers(on our personal time)
    -continue to help us get the POS more efficient, the constant delay's, issues with having to do off line returns, and merchandise card exchanges takes forever, and makes us at the store look incompetent. There is a LONG way to go with these registers until they are smooth sailing.
    -thank you for giving us more payroll for freight processing and training, however there is still a disparity in payroll for events and freight.
    -the new survey reporting is terrible, we need to take a masters class in order to decifer it and roll it down to associates. The old company's reporting was incredible, and we incorporated it in with our daily focus. Go back !!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Job, Nice Coworkers

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with customers and seeing all the merchandise. The people I worked with were all fun and helpful too.

Cons

I think they push the credit card way too much and approaching customers multiple times while they're in the store. I think employees can be the judge of whether a customer would like assistance or not after one or two interactions.

Give incentives for selling the credit card.

Holiday Help for extra income.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help  in  Millbury, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help in Millbury, MA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere. One of the better retail experiences I had. Enjoyed the type of clientele it draws.

Cons

Daily struggle not to knock over displays. Some areas of the sales floor were just a danger zone of glassware and then a manger will tell you to set up a ladder and hang signage.
    Scheduling was hard if you have another job at the same time. They would schedule "on call" hours that you couldn't say no to if they needed you.

Me experience was good

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn lots of merchandising and matching coclors

Cons

Low pay, silly rules and not structure with horrible in stock counts. Their inventory is always off. Also no placement on district team, lots of managers are not strong enough to be managers

Better rules and hire sales people not just older people who need a job

Made great friends and learned a lot about merchandising.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked with wonderful people and the job provides tons of exercise. The products are overall pretty cool. The music is fun and upbeat. If you work only PT and you are good at opening credit cards, it can be very enjoyable.

Cons

The distribution center is a nightmare, which made store-level merchandise flow terribly hard to manage. They don't offer a realistic amount of payroll to get necessary work done and there's been an increasing amount of damaged product which leads to unhappy customers. Their (high interest/low benefit) credit card is hard to push and there's tons of pressure to do so.

Add 20% more payroll and lower the credit card pressure, or offer better benefits to open/use one. I agree the 6 selling standards are important. Trying to uphold them with only 2 or 3 people in the store while attending to walk-ins, pick-ups, phone calls, E-comm, and customer service issues is nearly impossible, even with the best intentions and effort.

Just an average part time job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

-good part time work for high school/college students looking for extra money
    -25% discount

Cons

-no opportunity to advance
    -most of the products are overpriced crap
    -way too much pressure to sell credit cards, makes customers irritated/uncomfortable
    -low pay, low hours. This is not a job for someone with a family to feed.
    -unreliable scheduling (flex shifts, varied hours, schedule not posted until late in the week so there can be conflicts if you work 2 jobs)
    -inappropriate clothing requirements (no one is allowed to wear sneakers, despite daily ladder use, furniture moving, and stockroom work)

-Back off with the credit cards. Don't punish employees if a customer doesn't want one.

Not as shiny as it looks on the outside

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Attempt to engage associates

Cons

0 room for career advancement past store manager. They only hire externally for anything higher than that. Extremely low wages with often no raises. It's all who you know and not your work performance.

Engage your people better and reward them for the hard work it takes to make the store a success. Stop hiring external snake oil salesman who can talk the good talk and actually don't do anything once in their roles. You have dedicated people who have proven time and time again to be successful in the organization. Tap into that talent and set up a training program to get Store Managers to the next level.

Good people and lots of potential for the company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Pros

awesome vacation, work/life balance, flexible work hours; trusting leadership, for the most part

Cons

Low pay, long commute, work in silos; old fashioned thinking; the organization is its own worst enemy. The company functions like a start up (no real office supplies, old computers, etc).

Invest in your people (including current, not just new) and technology. Without investment, it's tough to grow and evolve with the times.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!