Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 19 October, 2014
3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 110 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good products, workable holiday hours

Cons

personal growth can be hard at times

Great experience with Pier One Imports

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I really liked working for Pier One because they were flexible with my schedule, and they really appreciate their employees. You get Christmas bucks and an opportunity to become the employee of the month/year which is neat.

Cons

There is no heavy lifting support. Usually there are two associates working so if you sell a huge entertainment center during a shift you are expected to take it out.

Keep being flexible and appreciative of your employees and your company will continue to thrive. Extra help for heavy lifting is recommended.

a learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-discount
    -short shifts (could also be a con though)
    -my coworkers and I all felt like a family (I met 2 of my best friends working here)
    -work/life balance, flexible schedule
    -nice merchandise
    -there were times working here where I really did have a lot of fun

Cons

Admittedly...I had a lot of issues working here.
    -The pay is very very low, and absolutely nothing to live off of or support yourself
    -you get almost no hours every week, I think the most I ever got in one week was about 24, but usually it was way less.
    -very high turnover rate...seriously most of our associates dropped like flies in there
    -lots of negative feedback from managers, you're rarely told what you have done right
    -some of the upper management team was extremely lazy and condescending
    -lots of pressure on sales associates to sell, almost to the point to where it felt like we were forcing/guilting a customer into buying things. I felt that a lot of the selling techniques were "sneaky" and too pushy
    -I felt like the values and a lot of how the store was ran was very "old fashioned". We had very old cash registers (that -were anything but customer friendly), I've just never felt that wearing an apron at a store like Pier 1 was very professional, and we're not allowed to wear sneakers to a very physically demanding job.
    -very disorganized...I remember looking in our inventory on a regular basis to show that we had 2 of whatever in stock, and almost never being able to find the items. Or customers never being called because the items they ordered finally arrived, or even misplacing the items they bought in some cases.
    -It got a little ridiculous with how many tasks you were expected to have completed before the end of your 4-5 hour shifts, on top of helping customers.
    -now..the P1RCC......this above everything else. Trying to sell this credit card was the most stressful part of the job. Our hours really did seem to depend on it, and at times even our job. Management would threaten you with a write up if you did not sell the credit card, and there were cases of people in management positions stealing the credit of selling a P1RCC to a customer that another associate had been helping. I had my assistant manager tell me one time that I could not leave the store that day unless I had sold the credit card to a customer.

-don't hire so many people...is it really necessary to have like 200 associates working for the store? (not really, but that's what it felt like). This gives people who have worked for the store for a while, and people who actually deserve it, more hours. because there are so many associates, this causes a huge turnover rate because people are quitting as result of not getting any hours. I think this would help avoid the issue...
    -let us know what we are doing right...constructive criticism, correcting us, helping us is all fine. But positive feedback would be nice every once in a while.
    -the focus should be on customer service and selling the products to the customers, not forcing them into getting a credit card. this part of the job makes it uncomfortable for both the customers and myself. My scheduling should be based on the fact that I showed up for work whenever I was scheduled, always in dress code, never called out, and that I actually tried and made sales, not how many credit cards I sold. Maybe if the benefits of the card were better then it might be easier to push.

Overnight Stock Coordinator

Current Employee - Overnight Stock Coordinator in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Overnight Stock Coordinator in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is interesting if you are creative. If you like to arrange furniture and design displays that will be appealing to the consumer. If you are working in the New York City Area you are compensated weekly instead of Bi-Weekly.

Cons

Compensation is no competitive and under satisfactory for the amount of work and commitment required. Leadership is reactive instead of pro-active. You will consistently be understaffed and over worked. There isn't any effective training to elevate the efficiency and productivity of the team as well as your role. The office culture is very catty and competitive. There are constant violations of H.R confidentiality agreement. If you don't mind it being shared then do tell all. Mediocre Benefit package.

Listen to your employees. Appreciate them and raise morale.

Friendly and unorganized

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best people I've ever worked with, family culture. Lots of training for the job and managers that really care about what they do. 25% discount.

Cons

No respect for schedules. Required late night projects and early morning meetings not specified in the hiring process outside of normal business hours. Low wages for what is required/expected of you. No commission for sales.

Give the option for no "flex" shifts.
    Higher starting wage.
    Give commissions for rewards card sales.

Very little room for advancement

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were generally very friendly and helpful. Management was really nice and they are very good about working around your schedule.

Cons

This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week. This might be an ideal situation for someone that's semi-retired looking to get out of the house, or a college/high school student, or if you're just looking for a second job.Every sales associate is considered a "limited employee", meaning they are all part time and not one of them can work more than 20 hrs a week. You'll be lucky to work 10 hrs a week, because they hire such a large amount of sales associates and keep them all working just a couple days per week. The only way to get more hours is to be promoted to a management position, and that's very unlikely to happen considering there are a lot of sales associates that have been there for years, trying to move up in the company. And if you DO move up, you'll hardly get a raise and you'll work maybe, 30 hrs a week (not even full time). They push the Pier 1 card way too hard on customers, and train the employees to badger the customers and follow them around the store trying to get them to buy something. They push employees way too hard to make sales. The sales goals are completely unrealistic.

Quality not quantity..hire less sales associates and give them more hours, better pay and benefits. Set REALISTIC sales goals and don't push your associates to annoy customers into buying something or signing up for the pier 1 card. Most shoppers do not like to be pestered into buying or signing up for something

Over-worked as a part-timer

Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work
    Opportunities to distinguish oneself from work accomplishments
    Discounts on store merchandise

Cons

Sales goals set unrealistically high for the amount of store traffic
    Penalties arising from not meeting those sales goals
    Was forced to work through sickness, resulting in more sickness

Do not expect part-timers who are on a tight schedule (school, other jobs, etc.) to reach the top of the sales chart during their time there. It is very improbable for those that work 15 hours.

A good part time job.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The people I work with are really nice. Everyone is willing to help each other out with tasks and the team.
    Management is very accommodating about scheduling needs even when it's somewhat last minute.
    It's generally laid back and okay if you can't finish your task because of the team work. Other people will step in where you leave off and it isn't a big deal if something is left unfinished because the focus is making sure the customers are happiest.

Cons

The store I work as has a lot of older customers and they don't want to be solicited for the credit card or even have their phone numbers added to the database.
    The pay is very low. My manager actually never told me how much I would be making but assured me that with my decade of retail experience and interior design degree that I would be making more than the $8 base. Technically, ten cents is more but it only means an extra dollar per week. They also never told me if we got paid weekly or biweekly.
    Schedules are supposed to come out early in the week and I've never seen when I work next week prior to the Friday before.
    Employees call off constantly or leave early and there seems to be no consequence. I'm heavily pregnant and sent up ladders and work long shifts with no breaks but the girl who is five minutes pregnant always leaves at least an hour early, sits on furniture during her shift, and has food and drinks on the floor.
    There tend to be either too many people scheduled for a shift or too few. Recently I worked a Wednesday with 8 people and a Saturday with 3.

Focus on talking directly to your employees instead of leaving them with a lot of questions and having to pass info on to each other.

an in the meantime job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

-Great team to work with, fellow coworkers are pretty encouraging and great to be around.
    -managers are great and pretty easy to work with. There is definitely a sense of community and support.

Cons

-not great pay and lousy raises. One of the highest increases received was 20 cents.
    -it's retail, customers always feel more entitled and condescending
    -25% discount, which isn't bad, but considering our cheapest product is wine glasses or mugs, it doesn't exactly inspire investment back in.

Store Policy's are Ridiculous

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The environment is nice and the people are friendly. Sales goals when met get you bonus's

Cons

The store policy saying nothing is allowed on you on the sales floor is ridiculous. You have to buy locks for your "own" locker to put your belongings in. I did not feel I needed to buy a locker when all I have on me was my phone keys and wallet. It was an argument stating if I couldn't follow policy about leaving it in the back than don't show back up for work. I have done nothing but be a team player and drive this company up with in store surveys and meeting sales goals. It's a shame the policies are a little too much and they seems to pick more on the younger crowd versus the older employees.

Be fair to ALL employees and not just pick and choose.

Pier 1 Imports Photos

Employees only area at a Pier 1 in California.... note the "Don't mess with Texas" on the chalk board...
Taking wicker basket off the shelf for a customer who was laughing hysterically
Pier 1 Imports