Pier 1 Imports

Updated 15 November, 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 111 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Nice environment (smells nice, relatively clean, fun products)
    -Flexible schedule (you put it your own availability online and manager never had an issue with me when I asked for days off)
    -Friendly customers
    -Mostly friendly coworkers, great general manager
    -Employee appreciation week

Cons

-One assistant manager who wanted to make my life miserable (I got along with all other assistant managers, so it must have been a personality clash with this particular one)
    -Shifts go way beyond when the store is actually open (lots of shifts late into the night or very early in the morning to rearrange merchandise in the store for what seemed like no reason at all)
    -Pushing for the Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card can get old after a while

Fun a little frustrating

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, ok discount, nice customers, little commitment.

Cons

Flex shifts ( on call) are frustrating

Nice people to work with but company is cheap.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Flemington, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Flemington, NJ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store discount, good co-workers, beautiful products

Cons

Little to no pay raises, not valued or rewarded by district managers, late nights, too many major store moves

It would be great if you recognized a dedicated, effective associate and then recommended them for a promotion somewhere within the company. Also, an assitant manager and sales lead there should be able to get enough hours and a high enough pay to make a living.

Could be so much better.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are very nice, products are fantastic. 25% employee discount, and great customers.

Cons

Way too stressful. I don't know what has happened to retail to turn it into such a stressful job. The constant coaching and stress of opening instant credits was overwhelming. You really couldn't give the best customer service because you'd be so stressed about pitching the credit card, even when the customer would decline, you still had to mention more benefits, and a lot of customers were put-off by the constant harassment. Then there is "conversion". You get in trouble for not converting at least 35% of the people who walk into the store into sales. Never mind that people walk in and out to use the restroom, ask for directions, or let their kids run in and out of the store making it impossible to accomplish a 35% conversion on a regular basis. You could have a $1,000 furniture sale, but not want to help the customer out the door with their purchase because it would wreck your conversion. It truly is insane. Also, the weekly shipments that they expect you to unload, build furniture, and display it super quickly all while not "tasking" when customers are in the store. And lastly, the surveys. You can't be a genuine sales person when you have a list of statements you have to make to customers to ensure you don't get marked down for not saying...and it's a long one. So everyone sounds robotic saying the same things over and over. It's a shame, because Pier1 could be a fabulous place to work if they threw out all of the constant stressful tracking, and just let their employees shine and make real connections with their customers simply by being real themselves.

Throw out the constant tracking, time-wasting conference calls and focus more on product knowledge.

Great for par-time / re-entry into workforce

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Forest, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Forest, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great for part time work, students, or re-entry after stay at home parenting. Friendly co-workers and customers. Excellent employee discount (25% off even on sales and clearance), flexible scheduling. Products that people love to buy. Sometimes they sell themselves.

Cons

Very few full time, benefitted positions and even the ones they have are lower paying. Most Sales Associates have other jobs that provide benefits, and use the Pier 1 job as "extra" income or work simply for the generous employee discount. They set A LOT of sales goals in different areas (pushing their Rewards card, sales numbers vs. people entering store, signing customers up on e-mail lists, etc. All of these goals are pushed constantly but there is very little return on these aggressive sales tactics to the employee. After a while you start asking yourself is it worth it?

Better wages would help retain the best employees. If management is going to require employees to use such aggressive and detailed sales techniques and high sales goals, then there should be some sort of compensation that goes BACK to the store team that is meaningful (i.e. bonuses).

good envioronment for the employees who work the sales floor

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dublin, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dublin, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent atmosphere and competitive pay for retail

Cons

no sales commission plan. could use more sales training too.

create a sales culture

Not worth it

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

25% employee discount, Ability to give feedback and ideas to corporate office, Most co-workers friendly, bonuses for managers if sales goals are met.

Cons

Unhealthy place to work physically and emotionally. It will destroy your body, especially your joints. I have gastritis brought on by the stress of the job. Extreme lack of appreciation. No matter how hard you work, you just have to hear about whatever wasn't perfect. Not a lot of positive reinforcement. The pay is VERY LOW (not just for associates - for wage-earning managers as well) for the amount of work you are doing. You will be too exhausted and stressed to have a life. Bonuses are relatively small. I think the corporate office has no idea how much work they put on the store staff, or they just don't care. Be prepared to be a work-horse. If HR gets involved in anything, they will believe the person who reported something over the other person. The people with bad behavior pretty much always get away with it, and if you report any mistreatment to your manager, prepared for it to be ignored over and over. No support system.

Pay your employees based on the amount of work you expect in that position. Give better bonuses and benefits. Everyone at corporate should have to work in a store for 3 months during transition time to give them perspective. Don't set workload expectations so high with no reward.

Hate it!

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many I can think of.

Cons

The amount of lifting and work that is required for the low pay is ridiculous.

Starting pay should be more.

Not Well Managed, No room for advancement.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Humble, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Humble, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

25% discount, The "associates" are nice and considerate. Always great merchandise to buy especially during holiday season. You make personal relationships with customers.

Cons

Managers treat you like you are 17 year old children. The heavy lifting and building statements and shelves makes you feel like you are working at Home Depot. The overall pushing of making sure you open 2 Pier 1 Credit Cards per shift is ridiculous because they make it to where you ask over and over again to a customer if they would like to open one to the point the customer is saying NO five times. You don't get acknowledged for the amount of sales you make that day money wise. You could do a $2500 sale and you don't get a thank you. Definitely at the Humble location it's very cluttered and things break everyday. No opportunity for advancement the manager says even after having one of her team leads leave and I ask over and over again I would to take on the role and train. I was getting 20 surveys and 5-10 Pier 1 cards when I first started but once I started seeing I was not getting any recognition barely for it I just kinda slowly let it go. Just too much is going on with this store and company and don't recommend getting involved unless you just shop here.

To be more kind and considerate to employees and respect them just as they would like for us to do to them. We are not children and we are only part time. You guys expect way to much from part time associates especially only paying $8.25/Hr.

If I Wanted to Work in a Warehouse ...

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being surrounded by beautiful items was nice. Seeing new things before anyone else if you're a shopper there, too, was fun. Staff was very friendly.

Cons

I was hired as a sales associate and expected hard work as the company sells larger items and there is always stocking and displays to work on. What I didn't count on was being a warehouse worker. I worked a late night, dealing with super highly stacked pallets, taking them apart and lifting heavy boxes from about 8 feet up, was told to find my own merchandise from the pallets (naturally, my boxes were at the bottom of a fully stacked pallet full of ceramic dishes and other very heavy items) even though I had only just started working there and had no clue what I was even looking for, and trying to maneuver around hundreds of boxes, pallets, trash, people in a small back stock room. Oh, and cutting down huge boxes and dragging them to the dumpster out back. Needless to say, I quit after that shift without ever having a normal sales shift given to me. If I wanted to work in a warehouse, I would have applied at one and not at a retail store as a sales associate.

Don't just tell interviewees that it is hard work. Be VERY specific. It would be nice to make an informed decision to work there. And maybe don't give employees freight shifts their very first week there. It scares people off. Or perhaps hire staff specifically for freight shifts only.