Pier 1 Imports

Updated 17 December, 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Small Potatoes

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Room to be creative and innovate

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, underdeveloped support infrastructure

Nice Atmosphere, Flawed Management Strategies

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

You leave the store covered in glitter! Everything smells wonderful, and you are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. The employee discount is nice. I enjoyed genuinely helping customers meet their needs, and I often had fun working as a store associate during the holidays. Pier 1 hires great people, and my wonderful coworkers helped keep me sane during periods of stress. I learned a lot about merchandising, pricing, and the way that the retail industry operates during this job.

Cons

Some members of management put a ridiculous amount of pressure on employees to open credit card accounts. My store had a points wall which served to shame associates that had not managed to coerce customers into opening credit card accounts. I often felt like managers were talking down to me during "sales coaching" sessions, where I would be blamed for not meeting hourly sales goals. We associates are encouraged to "work" every customer, pushing additional merchandise, the credit card, and add-on items onto them. We had to try to get customer information (email, phone number, etc), as well as try to implement suggestive selling strategies all during the POS. The management is obsessed with hourly metrics, to the point that it negatively impacts the performance of the team. On top of this, bizarre scheduling practices (including the inexplicable "flex" shifts) and low pay scale make this a hard part-time job to maintain.

Treat your employees with respect, and trust in their ability to represent your product and brand. Pushing credit card services on every customer makes the company seem overly aggressive, and it diminishes the overall experience for customers and employees. Pier 1 hires great associates with great people skills and design sense, but the company loses associates frequently because of the low pay and lack of managerial support. Keep the focus on the product and lose the gimmicks.

Mostly satisfied...definitely wouldn't make it a career.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Awesome team, hard work is recognized.

Cons

Company will suck the life out of you if you allow it.

When you have good personnel do not exploit them and burn them out.

Groundhog Day

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first, it's a fun job. It's fast paced and there is always tasks that need to be completed. I believe the upper management truly cares but it doesn't translate or filter down to the field level.

Cons

It's literally Groundhog Day at this company. I look at their merchandise now and little has changed in the past 5-6 years. This company has a model that includes their credit card and with that said, their inventory mix should give incentive to that customer base to keep them coming back, which is does not. There is no room for growth in your career at this company unless someone dies or you want to move to TX. Store Manager is the top rung and it pays terribly low, especially for what you are asked to do.

Use some of your marketing money towards payroll. Stop moving stuff around (floorsets). It confuses the customer and takes tons of payroll hours that should be used towards assisting customers. Figure a way to move merchandise that isn't dangerous to the health of your associates. Get your online systems up to par. Add district help to the stores, ie DM or Visual DM. One Regional is not effective.

Constant pressure to push customers to open a Pier1 credit card

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice co-workers, great discount even on sale and clearance items, nice products.

Cons

Low pay, pressure to get customers to open the Pier 1 credit card, rude customers

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Fun product, nice coworkers and customers, employee discount

Cons

Over-promoting of store credit card, very labor-intensive at times

Fun place to work; low pay.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The atmosphere at Pier One is very lively and fun and for the most part, the employees are alot of fun to work with as well. The merchandise is great and you get a 25 percent employee discount which is nice.

Cons

Low starting pay. I received "Sales Associate of the Quarter" twice in a one year period and am also a leader in credit card openings, yet only received a 30 cent raise in a two year period. The work is very strenuous, lots of lifting and getting up and down on ladders. You are not rewarded for your hard work. Very discouraging.

The upper management is so concerned with selling Unicef and helping poor kids in other countries, but what about your own employees? A good employee who is loyal and hard working should be given AT LEAST a one dollar raise per year. I have seen good employees come and go due to the low pay. An extra dollar an hour a day for a five hour shift is only five bucks, the cost of a Christmas ornament! Your hard working employees should be worth at least that.

I have worked here for a short time and always go above and beyond work expectations.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice easy work, fun people

Cons

They schedule shifts with flexes on tope, very pushy on your availability

Part Time Retail

Current Employee - Former Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Former Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning to merchandise and interacting with customers who are excited about interior decorating.

Cons

Flex-time scheduling is really ridiculous. We are part-time employees who barely earn over minimum wage - we are not Emergency Room physicians. The Pier 1 "Rewards" card obsession which forces us to "work" every customer and the customer ends up getting very annoyed.

Assistant manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The discount 25% off and always being busy! Time flies when your having fun.

Cons

Expectations are way to high for the low pay.
    Gossip is the worst and everything gets swept under the rug.
     Regional is always in watching you and putting everyone on the spot.
    Holidays (event setups) are the worst!!!
     10 + hour shifts with only 30 min breaks.
    Always getting calls when off.
    Never can take off during certain holiday times for vacation with family.
    Hours are topical retail sucks major to have anylife as full-time.

Take the time to talk to everyone 1 on 1 including associate's to know what really goes on behind your backs. Value what everyone does for the company at all times! Give us a break every now and then.