Pier 1 Imports

Profile Unclaimed

Overall a positive experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management and associates share responsibilities. I felt like it was easy to bring issues to upper management, and that they would be taken seriously. The employee discount was also generous, considering you are able to use it on sales/clearance.

Cons

Flex hours made it difficult to plan anything outside of work. There was also lot of pressure to have customers open a store credit card, even though the terms were not ideal.

Temporary/Seasonal Hire Sales Associate Partime--stock and Floor

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Johnson City, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Johnson City, TN (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for pier one was pretty great! A Sales associate worked 4 hours shifts so it was conducive to my busy school schedule

Cons

Being a seasonal worker, however, meant you worked everything, Also, the culture of persuading every single customer to open a store card felt dishonest and exhausting.

I think management did a really great job of keeping the associate motivated and excited.

Store Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to control anylitics and merchandising training. 1 on 1 time with each associste to coach, teach, and train to market standards.

Cons

Small box setting. Very possible to outgrow the box.

Happy work atmosphere and fun products.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murfreesboro, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murfreesboro, TN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at Pier 1 Imports has many good qualities. They are extremely flexible with your schedule and it is very easy to pick up/drop a shift. The pay is above minimum wage ($8/hour for Sales Associate). Another good aspect to this job is the employee discount. 25% off anything, even clearance. The products at Pier 1 are beautiful and seeing all the new items come in is exciting. On some days, you will get to bring out stock from the back and display it in the store. The Co-workers and the management is superior. Everyone who works at Pier 1 is genuine and they truly care about you. When it comes to training, they are spot on. They never make you feel guilty if you have questions about anything. The customers are for the most part middle aged women and they are all very fun to help make decisions.

Cons

Of course, like any job, there are some not-so-great parts. The managers really push the Sales Associates to get people to apply for a Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card. They pressure you into getting one every shift, which is quite a challenge. And when you do sign someone up for a card, there is no commission on it, so it does not benefit you in any way whatsoever. Also, closing the store is a nightmare. They give you half an hour to mop several areas of the store, change the trash liners, clean the bathrooms, and straighten the whole store. It is simply too much to do in half an hour. At Pier 1, the hours are random. One week you may get 9 hours, and the next you may only get 3. The hours honestly are not good. Your availability can be fantastic but you will not get the amount of hours that you desire. Also, "flex" shifts are not convenient. You are required to call in 2 hours ahead of ever "flex" shift and see if they need you to come in. It can be aggrovating because you are unable to make any plans on those days.

My advice for management would be to have less Sales Associates on hand. There are simply far too many people working there. Another bit of advice would be to allow more time when closing.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

nice people and 25% discount

Cons

Physical job and low wage

I'm having a Blast!!

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Tustin, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Tustin, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discounts, awesome Team mates and Boss! Merchandise is always fun to look and display in the store. the hours suits my needs.

Cons

For myself, I'm Happy. For others more Hours.

My Manager needs to Stop and take a few deep breaths every now and then! He could speedy Gongolous (sp) to shame!

Great people to work with!

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the merchandise and helping customers decorate their spaces. I have a great manager who allows me to have a flexible schedule.

Cons

Retail salaries are not the best, which is why this is a 3rd job for me

Pier 1 is great

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff is Great, not much overwhelming sales pressure from corporate or management , open availability, fun training and small bonuses, thriving company

Cons

have to wear a boring Uniform, a lot of lifting, not much room for growth, small and infrequent pay increases, no comission or reward for excellence

Better compensation would be great, more organization from staff

Very friendly people

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You see something different and learn something different everyday.

Cons

The pressure of opening up Pier One credit cards

Great company to work for. Amazing products. Great management.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kahului, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kahului, HI (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Great discount Off of everything including sales and clearance. Friendly and knowledgeable management and staff

Cons

Flex shifts. No full time for regular associates

Keep up the amazing work