Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

As a seasonal sales associate I had a great time working with Pier One in visual merchandising.

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) West Bend, WI (US)

ProsMy immediate supervisor and her supervisor were really friendly and easy to work with. I learned a lot about home decor and furniture- as this was my first time in a home store- in my time there. I feel I made big advancements in my sales approaches. Coming into work was like coming into a friend's home and I feel like customers felt that way every time as well. Great company values. The compensation was above average and the 25% discount was fantastic!

ConsWhile pay was great, hours were lacking. It takes quite a while to move up in the company.

I enjoyed working there.

Sales Leader (Former Employee) Nashua, NH (US)

ProsGood sales bonuses and fair when asking time off.

ConsRetail hours are not always the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo try to be more relate-able to your staff members.

As a new hire, the work place seems promising.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsThe discount isn't bad and the coworkers seem friendly enough. Management seems like they have it together. Time will tell.

ConsNot sure how I feel about pushing that PR1CC onto customers. But it's part of the job so I'll do it without sounding too pushy or desperate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into current employees seeking more work hours. Share the work load.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience, nice people

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Royal Oak, MI (US)

ProsGreat customers, friendly people. Interesting pieces for sale.

ConsPay isn't great. Stock room is always very dirty, and often very cold.

Great experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsGreat products, great discount, great work enviroment

ConsLong hours especially when the seasons change.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of.

Pleasant atmosphere until behind doors

Customer Representative (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of nice people work there.

ConsPoor wage ($8) for a company that sells its items for so much. They demand you train on all current sales and sell their credit card just to KEEP your job. You receive no bonuses. They MIGHT buy you a doughnut.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. That includes not threatening your managers or employees for doing good work.

High School Job, Little Advancement

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsReally nice items, being helpful to customers

ConsSome weeks you only work 2 days, can't advance to register with opening a credit card

Promises not kept

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsThe pay..made more than min. wage
    Other staff seemed nice, but only scheduled with a half hour over-lap so really didn't know them well enough.

ConsI wasn't told prior to being hired hours are based on how many credit card sign ups you get. Really? Don't give me hours based on customer service. so sad.

The assistant mgr at the store I worked was way too young and immature to run a store. (The mgr left taking another position at a different company)

Sales leads/mgmt spend too much time chatting in the back leaving one sales person on the floor. Had to call for help each time it got busy.

Hired for full time work-was scheduled no more than 10 hrs a week. (That's part, part time)

Advice to Senior ManagementHire assistant mgrs with experience and maturity.

Good job, if you're still in school.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Metairie, LA (US)

ProsEmployee Discount, customers, some products, and the environment.

ConsNot enough hours, that hideous apron, and the pay is way too low for the job description.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many people and focus on your current employees.

Pier 1 Imports is a good company to work for but not as a career.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe management is willing to work with school schedules and other job schedules, and the merchandise discount is great.

ConsCustomers are in a mindset that they should always be right and the Customer Service Hotline perpetuates that notion by giving customers whatever they demand.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus and support your employees. Studies after studies have shown that the more you stand behind your employees and their decisions, and the more you pay them, the higher your profits. Companies that focus on just the bottom dollar won't make it in today's world anymore.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!