Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

I have the most excellent experience working and shopping at Pier 1 Imports.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Richmond, BC

ProsPleasant and inspiring working environment. Good employee training and management.

ConsNothing that i can remember or think of now.

Ok for part time only, no guarantee of hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are friendly and nice atmosphere

ConsNot enough hours to sustain this job

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter employee recognition is required

A good job, but not a lot of advancement opportunity

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsNice product, always changing, great customers.

ConsMinimum wage, minimum hours, not a lot of opportunity for advancement, based primarily on who you know. Be prepared for lots of physical work, moving furniture, carrying furniture and putting in vehicles, carrying furniture up ladders etc. Lots of floor mopping and toilet cleaning too.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer breaks to part - time, most employers give a break after 4 hours, here expect to be on your feet for at least 5+ hours before you get a break. Promote and hire based on skills, knowlage, and potential rather than hiring all your friends and relatives...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Av

Stock Coordinator (Former Employee) Markham, ON

ProsThe associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with.

ConsThe manager at my store had zero work ethic and brought down store morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the store manager.

Fair but disorganized

Sales Associate (Former Employee) London, ON

ProsA friendly staff atmosphere and good teamwork

ConsVery low compensation and slow raises, promotions.

probably good to shop at...horrible to work for!

Store Associate (Current Employee) North Vancouver, BC

ProsVisually the products were nice to work around
    A few other staff members

ConsI have since graduated University and am working an office job but prior to that I worked lots of part time retail jobs and this was the worst! I would first like to say that I was not a university student disinclined to work, nor was I entitled or reluctant to work a part time job because of the nature of eventually having a degree. I want to make that clear since that has been my experience with other students who tend to complain about work due to laziness and lack of interest in a position that does not lead to their ultimate career choice. The store manager at my location as a joke: rude, demeaning,obsessive, arrogant and offensive. They have flex shifts so you ay be scheduled 1-6 with a flex till 9 but they wont tell you until 4 if you have to stay. I was told this wouldn't happen often but it was every shift. That manager thought she was saving the world it was unreal. So much bad mouthing and drama creation to fill her time sitting in her office (which was most of the time). So rude to the staff and treated other managers and shift leaders like dirt. The delivery system was useless so there were always complaints! never enough people staffed. Unreasonable hours/breaks. I ended up walking out after a conversation with my manager on a day I had come in outside of my availability to help. I felt my personal life was invaded during the conversation, under appreciated and dis respected!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on your store managers! At the location I worked at around11 employees quit within a 3 month period for the same reason and it went unnoticed by anyone! if there's a massive turn over there's a problem and you should look into why people are quitting. So many people just never showed up for shifts anymore and told other shift leaders it was because of the treatment and dread of work but it never gets noted.

Fun, energetic company to work for if you enjoy home decor

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-The people are amazing.
    -Holiday season is fantastic.
    -The work environment is warm, exciting due to what you're selling.
    -Not required to be pushy - just know your product knowledge, be happy and enthusiastic and you're set.

ConsI have no cons to list...

Over worked, Underpaid

ProsThe 25% discount is great. There are lots of pretty things to look at.

ConsThe furniture quality is poor, Merchandise is overpriced, The training is minimal.

Not what I had expected

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Brampton, ON

Prosbright colors, happy staff, refreshing

Consgarbage upholstery, not as nice when you get into the store..

Advice to Senior Managementstop having so many employees

Excited to let down is the best way to describe the experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsDiscount were great the co- workers (staff) still love the product,enjoyed the customers.benefits,the constant changes within the store were refreshing.

ConsSenior Management needs to realize why it is that good staff are leaving stores after years of service in the lower mainland.Having worked over 10 years at Pier 1 this should be a wake up call to Head Office to review the District Managers and Store Managers.One store lost all of it`s seasoned staff due to poor management. Policy &Procedure is not respected.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Head Office review your district managers and managers.There seems to be a gap in the communication It seems very clear that something is wrong in upper management .Some old ways need to be changed.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!