Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros:
  • "Employee discount, mostly friendly customers, fun products, Reasonable hours"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to get customers to sign up for the company credit card like your job depends on it"
    in 66 reviews
  • "The pay for part-time workers is about what you would get working for just about any other minimum wage job"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun, energetic company to work for if you enjoy home decor

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros-The people are amazing.
-Holiday season is fantastic.
-The work environment is warm, exciting due to what you're selling.
-Not required to be pushy - just know your product knowledge, be happy and enthusiastic and you're set.

ConsI have no cons to list...

A good job, but not a lot of advancement opportunity

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice product, always changing, great customers.

ConsMinimum wage, minimum hours, not a lot of opportunity for advancement, based primarily on who you know. Be prepared for lots of physical work, moving furniture, carrying furniture and putting in vehicles, carrying furniture up ladders etc. Lots of floor mopping and toilet cleaning too.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer breaks to part - time, most employers give a break after 4 hours, here expect to be on your feet for at least 5+ hours before you get a break. Promote and hire based on skills, knowlage, and potential rather than hiring all your friends and relatives...

Av

Stock Coordinator (Former Employee)
Markham, ON

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsThe associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with.

ConsThe manager at my store had zero work ethic and brought down store morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the store manager.

Fair but disorganized

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
London, ON

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsA friendly staff atmosphere and good teamwork

ConsVery low compensation and slow raises, promotions.

probably good to shop at...horrible to work for!

Store Associate (Current Employee)
North Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsVisually the products were nice to work around
A few other staff members

ConsI have since graduated University and am working an office job but prior to that I worked lots of part time retail jobs and this was the worst! I would first like to say that I was not a university student disinclined to work, nor was I entitled or reluctant to work a part time job because of the nature of eventually having a degree. I want to make that clear since that has been my experience with other students who tend to complain about work due to laziness and lack of interest in a position that does not lead to their ultimate career choice. The store manager at my location as a joke: rude, demeaning,obsessive, arrogant and offensive. They have flex shifts so you ay be scheduled 1-6 with a flex till 9 but they wont tell you until 4 if you have to stay. I was told this wouldn't happen often but it was every shift. That manager thought she was saving the world it was unreal. So much bad mouthing and drama creation to fill her time sitting in her office (which was most of the time). So rude to the staff and treated other managers and shift leaders like dirt. The delivery system was useless so there were always complaints! never enough people staffed. Unreasonable hours/breaks. I ended up walking out after a conversation with my manager on a day I had come in outside of my availability to help. I felt my personal life was invaded during the conversation, under appreciated and dis respected!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on your store managers! At the location I worked at around11 employees quit within a 3 month period for the same reason and it went unnoticed by anyone! if there's a massive turn over there's a problem and you should look into why people are quitting. So many people just never showed up for shifts anymore and told other shift leaders it was because of the treatment and dread of work but it never gets noted.

Over worked, Underpaid

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

ProsThe 25% discount is great. There are lots of pretty things to look at.

ConsThe furniture quality is poor, Merchandise is overpriced, The training is minimal.

Not what I had expected

Brampton, ON

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Prosbright colors, happy staff, refreshing

Consgarbage upholstery, not as nice when you get into the store..

Advice to Senior Managementstop having so many employees

Excited to let down is the best way to describe the experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

ProsDiscount were great the co- workers (staff) still love the product,enjoyed the customers.benefits,the constant changes within the store were refreshing.

ConsSenior Management needs to realize why it is that good staff are leaving stores after years of service in the lower mainland.Having worked over 10 years at Pier 1 this should be a wake up call to Head Office to review the District Managers and Store Managers.One store lost all of it`s seasoned staff due to poor management. Policy &Procedure is not respected.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Head Office review your district managers and managers.There seems to be a gap in the communication It seems very clear that something is wrong in upper management .Some old ways need to be changed.

No Wonder they went out of business!

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

ProsThe hours are very flexible there, as expected in part-time retail. There was a lot of freedom to take on new tasks. Middle management was great -- made some great friends and learned a lot. Also, the staff discount was great.

This is a good company to work for if you do not want to become invested in a career. Part time or seasonal at Christmas is the most I would do.

ConsThe store manager should have been let go years before I came on board. Thankfully middle-management was there to pick up the pieces for her. The store I was working for closed, partially due to the store manager, and partially due to the company doing poorly overall. This could have been a great place to work if the highers up kept a closer eye on the manager. She was ridiculous. She even kept her dog in the office where it would bark and make messes all day.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management: great job keeping a sane buffer between the Store Manager and the staff. Store manager: now that the store is closed, I hope you realize how much other people were picking up after you. i imagine settling into a new job will be difficult. I suggest you leave the dog at home.

good job, but ...

Store Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

ProsI find the merchandise and customers to be Interesting and rewarding to serve.

ConsI'm shocked at the scheduling. They schedule you only one week at a time and just a few days ahead. It's impossible if you have any other kind of life. I guess that this weird scheduling behaviour is due to incompetence and/or power-tripping abuse.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule people in a basic weekly pattern that allows them to plan their life around it. For example, say to people that you want them to keep their Sundays and Wednesdays free. Then fill in the details as you get close to the week. People need to have a pattern so that they can plan their other activities around it. The place where I'm working appears to be completely random, making it extremely difficult to do anything else but wait for their call, which is, I guess, what they want?

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All 426 reviews are posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.