Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 15 September, 2014
3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Extremely Educational

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was extremely important to the company that their employees knew the details and stories about every product. Their training is intensive, however this allows employees to feel comfortable when interacting with customers

Cons

I think that the focus on sales targets distracts employees on the enjoyment of working there. Sometimes it was a very stressful work environment when we were held responsible for mangers not making their targets.

Not to discuss their targets. A lot of the times I would hear "Hurry up and make a sale. Managers get a bonus this month if we reach our target." Managers always got their bonus, however when it was employee bonus month we never seemed to reach the target.
    Management need to focus more on making the employees feel like they are working with them and not for them.

Great Company Poor Management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts Love the product. Just got to watch the quality of some items.

Cons

May not be true for all locations but watch out for some managers. No respect for others.

For those DM's out there. Please recognize that every store as more then a manager. If you want to know how the store is ran day by day talk to staff they will tell you. The BS fed to you by manager not always good. The location I was at had a manager the was useless but a very good at BS on the day DM around.

Don't do it.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sherwood Park, AB
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sherwood Park, AB

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can change your availability as much as you want, check your schedule online at home, they're really good about giving certain time off for appointments etc.

Cons

You only get unpaid half hour lunch breaks, the management is totally apathetic when it comes to you as a person (you're just a number in their eyes), everybody is pretentious, you will constantly receive "cues" even when every customer in your section either has been helped or doesn't want help.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok for part time only, no guarantee of hours

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

People are friendly and nice atmosphere

Cons

Not enough hours to sustain this job

Better employee recognition is required

I have the most excellent experience working and shopping at Pier 1 Imports.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Richmond, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pleasant and inspiring working environment. Good employee training and management.

Cons

Nothing that i can remember or think of now.

A good job, but not a lot of advancement opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice product, always changing, great customers.

Cons

Minimum wage, minimum hours, not a lot of opportunity for advancement, based primarily on who you know. Be prepared for lots of physical work, moving furniture, carrying furniture and putting in vehicles, carrying furniture up ladders etc. Lots of floor mopping and toilet cleaning too.

Offer breaks to part - time, most employers give a break after 4 hours, here expect to be on your feet for at least 5+ hours before you get a break. Promote and hire based on skills, knowlage, and potential rather than hiring all your friends and relatives...

Av

Former Employee - Stock Coordinator  in  Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Stock Coordinator in Markham, ON

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

The associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with.

Cons

The manager at my store had zero work ethic and brought down store morale.

Replace the store manager.

Fair but disorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  London, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, ON

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

A friendly staff atmosphere and good teamwork

Cons

Very low compensation and slow raises, promotions.

probably good to shop at...horrible to work for!

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  North Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Store Associate in North Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Visually the products were nice to work around
    A few other staff members

Cons

I have since graduated University and am working an office job but prior to that I worked lots of part time retail jobs and this was the worst! I would first like to say that I was not a university student disinclined to work, nor was I entitled or reluctant to work a part time job because of the nature of eventually having a degree. I want to make that clear since that has been my experience with other students who tend to complain about work due to laziness and lack of interest in a position that does not lead to their ultimate career choice. The store manager at my location as a joke: rude, demeaning,obsessive, arrogant and offensive. They have flex shifts so you ay be scheduled 1-6 with a flex till 9 but they wont tell you until 4 if you have to stay. I was told this wouldn't happen often but it was every shift. That manager thought she was saving the world it was unreal. So much bad mouthing and drama creation to fill her time sitting in her office (which was most of the time). So rude to the staff and treated other managers and shift leaders like dirt. The delivery system was useless so there were always complaints! never enough people staffed. Unreasonable hours/breaks. I ended up walking out after a conversation with my manager on a day I had come in outside of my availability to help. I felt my personal life was invaded during the conversation, under appreciated and dis respected!

Keep an eye on your store managers! At the location I worked at around11 employees quit within a 3 month period for the same reason and it went unnoticed by anyone! if there's a massive turn over there's a problem and you should look into why people are quitting. So many people just never showed up for shifts anymore and told other shift leaders it was because of the treatment and dread of work but it never gets noted.

Fun, energetic company to work for if you enjoy home decor

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

-The people are amazing.
    -Holiday season is fantastic.
    -The work environment is warm, exciting due to what you're selling.
    -Not required to be pushy - just know your product knowledge, be happy and enthusiastic and you're set.

Cons

I have no cons to list...

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!