Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job(in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy(in 88 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break)(in 31 reviews)

Fun People, lots of sales pressure

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Columbia, SC (US)

ProsThe merchandise is beautiful, and you get to meet a lot of designers

Consemployees are underpaid. Lots of sales pressure.

Advice to Senior Managementpush for more frequent raises for good employees and give them a break on needing to constantly get customers to sign up for credit cards

Wonderful experience.

ProsThe pay as a sales associate is reasonable, the product is interesting and the corporate does its best to keep store operations as organized as possible.

ConsLarger store means more recovery and cleaning to do. They also make you clean the bathrooms.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe organized.

Pleasant atmosphere until behind doors

Customer Representative (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of nice people work there.

ConsPoor wage ($8) for a company that sells its items for so much. They demand you train on all current sales and sell their credit card just to KEEP your job. You receive no bonuses. They MIGHT buy you a doughnut.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. That includes not threatening your managers or employees for doing good work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pier 1 Imports is a good company to work for but not as a career.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe management is willing to work with school schedules and other job schedules, and the merchandise discount is great.

ConsCustomers are in a mindset that they should always be right and the Customer Service Hotline perpetuates that notion by giving customers whatever they demand.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus and support your employees. Studies after studies have shown that the more you stand behind your employees and their decisions, and the more you pay them, the higher your profits. Companies that focus on just the bottom dollar won't make it in today's world anymore.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA (US)

Prosnice people , great product, flexible with school schedule good job for students

Consmust push for credit cards terrible!

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus not only on credit card

Fickle.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe coworkers were fantastic. There seemed to be a whimsical feel about the store. A really nice environment to work in. The new product that always came in was a plus.

ConsThe pay was nowhere near "competitive". There is a lot of work that goes in to being a successful store. Incentives? Nope. From managers down to the Sales Associate, expect your pay to hover around where you started. I worked there for several years to get through college and typically received an eight cent raise per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management was great on the store level. I couldn't applaud them more. They are the only reason I stayed for as long as I did. As for the corporation, the goals are unrealistic.

Not a bad place for a part-time job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsLove the merchandise, the customers and what I do. No two days are the same. The employee discount is awesome.

ConsSome members of management/staff act like they are still in a high school clique; refuse to give anyone more than 20 hrs/week so they don't have to pay benefits; low pay and raises are ridiculously low; very little room for advancement; extreme pressure to get people to sign up for the rewards card which is actually a credit card.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire/promote people who cannot make decisions to sales leader positions! The word "leader" implies that they are able to exercise good judgement and make decisions when needed. Answering questions with "I don't know….." doesn't benefit anyone! Get a better rewards card! Other stores have rewards perks that are not credit cards. Why can't Pier 1 do the same?!

Sales Associate

ProsNew merchandise comes in all the time and great people to work with.

ConsVery small pay raises for working hard and selling their credit card. They keep you under 20 hours as so they not to pay you any benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYearly reviews need to be done

Great Customers!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsCustomers are a cut above and loyal, this gives you a chance to build relationships. MOD's are all former associates so they know how things work. I transferred from a high-volume store to a lower-volume store and they can't believe how fast I can process 12ft of freight once a week. I'm used to 15-18ft twice a week! They are pretty good about time-off and emergencies situations were no problem. Both stores have exceptional managers. The ability to transfer is a BIG plus.

ConsHours are generally low, 8-15 hours a week and not consistent, and who wants to work a 3 hour shift. Flex shifts are just wrong! New store schedules 3 flex's and 2 regular shift a week and call in is 1 hour before so I need to be ready before I call and they never need me. Old store maybe 1 flex a week with a 2 hour call in. Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire 20 people and give them 10 hours per week. I understand flex shifts but make them the exception not the rule. Understand that we are reaching a saturation level with credit, emails, etc., and stop tying it to more hours as a reward. Don't hire sales leaders or management from lower quality retailers, they are hard to work with. Promote from within, as the experience and mind-set is already there. Upper management should take the time to talk to sales associates when the visit the stores. We are part of the team too!

I haven't gotten a raise since ive worked there in the past 4 years.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Cartersville, GA (US)

ProsMost of the people I work with are nice.

ConsI applied for a managers position. Instead of hiring me they hired someone who was stealing from them.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!