Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros:
  • "Employee discount, mostly friendly customers, fun products, Reasonable hours"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to get customers to sign up for the company credit card like your job depends on it"
    in 66 reviews
  • "The pay for part-time workers is about what you would get working for just about any other minimum wage job"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company

Cypress, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsLoved my manager, great coworkers

ConsThe store credit card isn't for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Fantastic company to build your experience and growth

ASM (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat product, excellent benefits, fun environment, true to family and traditional values

ConsLow compensation, Large work load

Fun place to work

Stockroom Associate (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros-Friendly co-workers.
-The store managers are always very helpful and laid-back.
-There's always positive energy.
-Substantial employee discount.

Cons-The entry level pay was pretty meh, but consistent hard work and success on the sales floor is rewarded.
-It's hard to get a decent amount of hours if not in management, but that's true for most entry positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like a more organized work place, and the location I worked at was lacking in that area. The stockroom and office were prone to constant clutter. Mildly irritating.

Simple, but entertaining.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsThe job itself is a blast, interacting with customers and matching up products to what they are looking to do is a very rewarding experience. Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic.

ConsThe in-store management is extremely inconsistent. Great sales leaders and store managers can be undercut by poorly performing assistant managers. Hours and compensation leave something to be desired.

If you love fun and unique products

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

ProsI love my peers that I work with and love that I can speak with customers.

ConsPay should be a bit higher for a call center. Not much growth opportunity within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there should be more company get togethers, and more opportunity to grow within the company. I also think our reviews should match what employees rate themselves for the review.

fun! but full of credit card sales & heavy lifting

Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsPier 1 was the best retail job I've ever had; and I've had a LOT over the years. I like working jobs that allow me to spend time with the customer, instead of just greeting & ringing. The management also made the job very fun!

ConsGet used to working 3 days a week. Unless it's Christmas, then you get to work 4 days.
Also, you need some muscle to work this job. You'll be doing a lot of lifting and carrying of mid-size furniture, art, & rugs. Also, credit card sales.

Advice to Senior Managementtwo words: "glitter repellent"

Fun place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

ProsDespite being retail, there's a fairly calm atmosphere, which is nice (holiday season excluded, of course!). The employee discount is also nice, and at least in my store, the people I worked with were wonderful and fun to be around, which makes a huge difference.

ConsBeing pushed to get customers to sign up for a store credit card is always difficult, and that is something that they always want you to do

It was very fun!

Sale Associate (Former Employee)
Ocala, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get the opportunity to work with different people from all walks of life as well as interact with the customers.

ConsThe pay wasn't the best and you sometimes have to work with nasty customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a raise to people who have been there five years or more.

Great Company; Little room for advancement.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, work/life balance, experienced management, constantly evolving company. Stores provide an immersive retail customer experience that is ahead of the curve in retail.

ConsLittle room for advancement past the store management level, big step between assistant and store manager, training gaps exist in onboarding of external new hires at management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue developing your training program. Company must convert to a big box mindset to succeed with new initiatives rolling out.

Fun but high pressure could never live on 12 hrs a week at $10 an hour if I was lucky 16 hrs but love the discount!

Night Manager Step Down to Clerk (Former Employee)
San Clemente, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 5 years

ProsLove Pier One products and the discount especially on discount items.

ConsPier One is a fun place to work, so if you are board at home its a great job to get out of the house. To pay bills and eat that is a different story its not going to happen. They hire way to many people so there is not enough hours to go around and the pay sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people and give more hours to the employees that have been so loyal. I worked for Pier One for
5 years and at time needed money to eat and pay bill but yet I had a lot of Pier One merchandise and only 12 to 15 hour a week. I worked 15 year in the grocery industry and the hours always went to the people that had senoriority so this was big change for me and they lost a very good employee because of it.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All 426 reviews are posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.