Philadelphia Gas Works

Updated 31 January, 2015
Updated 31 January, 2015
2.6

CEO

In search of a new career

Current Employee - Compressor Operator in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Compressor Operator in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the pros are, you get paid every week. You get to meet & work with all types of people. Your also learning a skill or trade, that you can take with you anywhere.

Cons

Your out there in the elements, rain,snow, morning, noon & night.

Take better care of your distribution workers.

Philadelphia Gas Works Response

Feb 17, 2015HR Business Partner

Out of all of the entry level positions, Distribution Workers are the highest paid. New Distribution Workers are only in the position for 6 - 9 months before attending Compressor Operator school ... More

Okay job if you can survive the 1 year probation

Former Employee - Service Technician in Phila, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Phila, PA (US)

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works

Pros

As a Service Technician you will be paid pretty good after about a year. You will start out at about $14 an hour being a helper. All you will do is follow the Technician around and hold a flashlight and run for tools. When you become a cadet you will get about a $3 increase. You will also get raises according to the union contract.

I basically went to customers homes and exchanged gas meters, turned off or turned on accounts, responded to gas leaks

A lot of down time in the summer months. Just check the corner at 15th and Cecil B Moore from 5 pm until about Midnight you will see the pgw trucks there lined up doing absolutely Nothing for hours! It was nice making $20 an hour just sitting there for hours at a time

Cons

A lot of "clicks" if you know what I mean. Family members / friends and things of that nature. Some guys are hanging on by threads just because family members been there 20+ years.

You will start to pay union dues right away. Even though this "union" will not help you in anyway until after your 1 year probation period. I found this out the hard way. That means.....do not be late and do not miss any days. Sounds simple right? Unless you get sick or if you have family issues or a sick kid. They don't want to hear about it!! You will be Fired!! Revolving door. You could be the nicest guy in the world and be a great worker they can care less. If you survive the 1 year probation then you should be okay. I didn't survive the 1 year probation.

I missed 2 days because a death in the family. 2 days!!!!! The only thing they were worried about was when I was coming back. They could care less about my family member dying. I missed another 5 days a few months later because I was very sick and passed out on my way to work. I was SICK...It was Winter. I am Human. I was rushed to a hospital where chest, head and blood test were done. I had and given them all the necessary Doctor notes. They could care less. They fired me. They fired me not knowing or caring what was wrong with me. Luckily for me the passing out was due to being over worked and dehydrated. I say over worked because I work a few 15-20 hour days in a row with very little sleep. Also when you get fired your medical is no longer good that same day. So if i did have a heart attack or something was wrong with my brain I was up sh!ts creek without a paddle.

They also tried to block my unemployment after wrongfully firing me. Unemployment seen it my way and awarded me my unemployment benefits. I say "wrongfully fired me" because it was wrong. I was very sick and I had all the doctors notes to proof this but they didn't care. I came back when my sickness was over ready to work and they denied me.

The winter time is the worse or if you are single without a family it could be the best because you will work 15++ hour days. Mostly every Tech complained about being over worked!! The other thing I loved about this place is they wait until you are about to clock out for the day then hit you with a gas leak or some random job just minutes before your shift is about to end. One min you think you are going home in 5 mins and the next ...Bam.. now you are out another 5+ hours!!

Helpers......Your hours will be from 5 pm until 1 am or until the last job gets done. You will at times work 10 days straight. You will not learn much as a helper except maybe how to hold a flashlight. You will transfer around to different shop locations even though you might live right next door to one of the shops.

Stop the revolving door. Stop firing good hard workers. We are Human. We, just like you, will get sick from time to time. I gave doctors notes. I had reasons to miss those days. You people just didn't care!!

Philadelphia Gas Works Response

Feb 17, 2015HR Business Partner

This review is not 100% truthful. Employees are given bereavement days, depending on the relationship. It seems this individual had some difficulty meeting the requirements for probationary ... More

It was a good experience

Former Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The family atmosphere. You feel like your working with family everyday and your not watching the clock all day long.

Cons

They are set in their ways as a very old company. Not quick to change.

Busy

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works

Pros

Many projects but oftentimes not much follow of management on the provided information. Many projects keep employees busy, the day flies by.

Cons

Old-school business. Tasks take forever, employees drag their feet. Oftentimes stated that they want to do things better but for the most part, nothing is done.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work life balance. Optional compressed work week. Great benefits -- Free health benefits, a lot of holidays. Pension plan with 5-year vesting.

Wonderful people.

Overall, best place I have ever worked.

Cons

Slow career advancement. Potential sale looming. Union environment creates opposition to positive change.

Good pay, but not a great place to start a career as an engineer if you truly want to learn something

Former Employee - Plant Engineer in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Plant Engineer in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits; Diversity; location; friendly co-workers

Cons

- less opportunity to learn because heavy work is outsourced to private company
    - Municipally owned company

Ana

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

nothing is good about this company

Cons

this company sucks..pick and choose people to promote

take your heads out of ____

Good place to be if you don't like to work

Current Employee - Information Technology in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Very difficult to get fired

Cons

Very low salary
    you have to know someone to get ahead
    IT are second class employees.

Take care of IT or you will be forced to outsource who ever is left

Good Place to Start

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to move up quickly.
    Work is not incredibly difficult.
    No Overtime
    Tuition Reimbursement

Cons

Salary is below average.
    Very little career direction.
    Cannot work from home.

Reward good employees or they will leave.