PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros:
  • "Its fun to work with animals all day Helping out with the adoptions is very fun"
    in 59 reviews
  • "Excellent medical benefits for full time staff"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "They don't seem to care that you have an over full time college schedule or any other life"
    in 37 reviews
  • "I think three interviews is a little much for a pet care associates"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great company

I have been working at PetSmart

Prosgreat employees, they treat you well

Consnothing really , i think its a great company

It was OK

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed setting. Petsmart cared about its team members.

ConsLow Pay for hourly associates. Heavy work-load. Management turnover very high, many leave others move all over the place.

good co-workers, management doesn't do anything.

Early Morning Stocker (Current Employee)
St. John's, NL

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Prosother then some good co-workers to work with, nothing great to mention otherwise. The head management were more leniant in regards to understanding physical difficulties with the job, otherwise nobody really cares unless your head is hanging off.

Constreated like crap by every other department in the store. Expected to do pretty much everything. and lack of hours. Apparently they don't give out references, so don't bother asking anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould definitely have scanners in the store for stealers.

Store Managers are not reviewed by there subordinate Managers for true accountability of their performance!

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPetSmart is a great place to work if the right managers are in place. Good wages and benefits . They stock the best products for our customers and have customers that are truly loyal and thankful for the help and service we provide.

ConsThey hold their Store Managers accountable in theory but don't look down the chain to see what's really going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy not have the District Managers interview the subordinate Managers come review time to get a true picture

Good part-time job for students

Cashier (Current Employee)
Waterloo, ON

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsVery flexible scheduling, employee discount, you get coupons every month on their proprietary brands for cat and dog food, job is fairly easy, the managers and the customers at my store were nice, we sell many high-quality products and the selection is growing

ConsHead office seems to be cutting hours recently; despite some training at the start most of your knowledge would come from prior experience as there aren't many opportunities to learn while on the floor (you can't watch other associates help customers like they suggest in the training videos if your store is bare-bones staffed); we sell a certain premium-priced brand with really poor ingredients but because our area is affluent, lots of people buy it--certainly not the best for their pets.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpecting stores to get 5/5 on the customer satisfaction surveys is unrealistic if you need a full 5/5 in order for it to even count (4/5 or 3/5 satisfied means 0). We're cherry-picking who gets the surveys because of this, and this shouldn't surprise any of you.

Senior Leadership - Director of HR, Merchandising and VP not in touch with the people

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFocus on Pet Care. Stores Manager's work very hard to keep staff happy. Some opportunity to grow.

ConsCustomer service servey are a joke, store cheat to make the numbers look good. HR inToronto dosn't want to listen it staff issues. No hours to get everything done. major staff and management turnover.. why?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the poeple right, we don't want a union, but if things continue who knows. I know in Calgary and Edmonton people are talking.

Good job for students

Cashier (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsThey give you many shifts if you have a flexible schedule, managers are very nice, and they hire most people through their online website.

ConsThey pay is kind of low, $10.50.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkers should get paid more, perhaps after their 3 month probation period.

Fun people, mindless work.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsFun and close team, fixable schedule, cute animals!

ConsAwful management, poor pay, needy and rude customers, mindless work, hard to expand your skills. Before starting this job I read requires.. ALL were bad, and I can now agree with them. Would not recommend this job to anyone except high school or collage students looking for a little extra money. Not a place to build a career

Advice to Senior ManagementMy managers were friendly for the most part, but were ALWAYS way to focused on everything except employees. Had to ask for my breaks and I still had to wait an hour most of the time.. And that prevented me from getting my end of the day break. They should be more involved with their employees. Petsmart demonstrates an "open door policy" where you can go to a manager anytime about any concerns. I could never usilize this, and my concerns were never adressed.

With in the district team - GREAT. Regional office very clickie. HR

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPetsmart as a company had got it right, Petsmart Canada has a lot of work to do with respect to value of "The People"

ConsLow wages, high volume of work. Regionla office does not value store associates

Advice to Senior ManagementGo in with open eyes. This is not a 40 hour a week job. Most SM's work 65 plus hours, very little HR support at associate level.

Petsmart has treated me with respect and I believe they value me as an employee

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun and you get to see all kinds of animals

ConsCan focus too much on surveys

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you can't always go by customers comments

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt. All 792 reviews are posted anonymously by PetSmart employees.