PepsiCo

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.3 1,694 reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi

Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly(in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do(in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried(in 153 reviews)

1,694 Employee Reviews

Going downhill at an increasing rate

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, good challenges, great learning experiences, flexible work hours.

ConsThe politics has become stifling. Constant re-orgs don't allow any time to adapt to new playing field. Senior management has lost its attention span. You can work yourself to death expecting compensation or advancement, but those opportunities are evaporating rapidly. The promotions are based on who you know rather than what you know or how hard you work and you'll get lame excuses when you ask why. Hiring contractors is more important than retaining high performers and having actual continuity. The whole atmosphere has become very demotivational this year especially. Infighting between groups is also on the rise probably because after the recent round of re-orgs nobody knows who should do what any longer and its seen as an opportunity for empire building.

The corporate interest in being seen as positive part of the community has employees out doing charity work on Pepsi's behalf rather than doing their real job and making things work inside the company. The focus on management buzzword fads du jour has really gotten silly lately too. They don't actually pay attention to what those buzzwords should mean, they just love to spout them and sound all corporate positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reorganizing every few months, its like working in a tornado. You set something up and then re-org it out of existence. FOCUS. Stop managing by fads and buzzwords, say useful meaningful things to employees. Stop promoting in dark alleys like you're dealing drugs. Promote openly and fairly. We have courses on ethics we all have to sit through, pay attention to them please, they aren't merely for entertainment. Make it count for dedicated, motivated employees. We do care, but if you keep up the random shifting landscape with no apparent benefit that motivation will end.

Worst company I've ever worked for

ProsDecent salary for the work

ConsLong hours, treated terribly, unreasonable expectations

A good place to start your career

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Saint John, NB

ProsGood co-workers, strong focus on moving the company forward, wide-range of products. Most sales jobs have a small base salary and commission.

ConsLong hours, company waste is an issue (getting the same promo materials 3 times etc) limited room for advancement unless you are scouted through their 'New Grad" programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have employees working hard for you right now. Let them share their full potential instead of brushing them off to find the next potential university star.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away

Account Development Representative (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsDecent pay and benefits, not much else though.

ConsNo work/life balance
    Don't value their employees at all
    Promote based on favouritism
    Penalize you for not overselling product to customers. Then when you do oversell and have to take unsold, expire product back, you get in trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your biggest asset - your employees!

an interesting summer, lots of money to be made if your willing to work overtime

Summer Student (Former Employee) Cambridge, ON

Prosfor a student its a good first job to make a decent amount of money. In the summer I was there had a great opportunity to have a decent job with responsibility and importance to the factory, something I could really use for the future and pad the resume with (eg. organization skills, coordination, communication, supervision, etc.) this year students are given zero chances to do anything important. Basically used as cheap labour for low level jobs, I don't see why anyone would return to this organization after one summer, can't use it at all when looking for a real career now.

Consyou get paid about half what the full time unionized employees do for the same if not more work so its discouraging in that sense. Usually zero time off, vacation days/ time does not exist for students. Any sick days must be accompanied by a doctors note. Have zero control of your schedule. They say you must be available to work any shift which is fine but that means all summer long, things are not always consistent. For example, went from afternoon shift to night shift to weekend to day shift all in the course of a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand the importance of keeping the factory smoothly but you have to trust your student employees with better job replacement options, otherwise you will never have any of them return as the experiences they get for the low level jobs can never be used properly on the resume after they finish school.

Exponential career growth opportunities abound

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExponential career growth opportunities, very competitive wages and full benefits, excellent training opportunities to grow individual skills and interests, great people to work with,

ConsMilitary-like structure, 60+ hours week to be successful in role on average, very high pressure to perform work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementSense of urgency from upper management can be too much and often times lead to making decisions based on quick fixes vs. long term outcomes.

Magnificent company!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsGood perks offered to employees! They also provide professional advancement and good working environment!

ConsLots of overtime sometimes it drains you for being overworked!

Salary Checks

ProsA great place to work

ConsNo cons to refer to

hard work, long days, decent pay, good benefits

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- decent pay (no pay raises though). pay is commisioning based and thus is based on your route's sales.
    - good benefits
    - great pay for summer students

Cons- long days - 10-12hr days of constant work are quite normal
    - super early mornings, must work weekends/holidays
    - time off for personal problems is difficult to arrange
    - hard work takes its toll on the body, hard to balance work/life
    - managers are recruited mostly straight out of university therefore they're inexperienced and often times unable to give us support we need. Store managers do not take them seriously which negatively affects our performance/sales
    - almost impossible to get promoted to manager (DSL) if you are a man since the company now hires almost exclusively female managers straight from university
    - no other options for advancement in the company as the next step is DSL
    - expectations are too high and tasks are not acceptable to our stores (management doesn't help at all)
    - difficult to start working here as you need several years of seniority to get your own route. In the meantime you cover for people who go on holidays or do support work (as a result pay can be low, work days erratic)

Advice to Senior Management- stop giving us more work to do for the same pay
    - get on a truck with us at least once a month to see first hand what we have to go through since you don't listen to us when we tell you in meetings
    - stop working us to the brink whilst talking about how to improve workplace happiness
    - go back to hiring managers by promoting successful sales representatives; do not hire 22yr olds straight out of the university classroom

Monsanto affiliated, off my purchasing list. support local organics!!!

Prosno more pros I can see until this is addressed and changed.

ConsI am so disappointed to find out this Quaker Oats Company is a supporter and consumer of Monsanto GMO products. the health of my love ones are too important to me to consider continuing support of such a company that thinks so little of our health.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for more organic local business to support and purchase from

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!