Pentaho Reviews

Pentaho Chairman and CEO Quentin Gallivan
Quentin Gallivan

Great place to work

I have been working at Pentaho full-time

Pros

Start-up energy, great management team. Great energy with them and a great place for sharpening your skill sets.

Cons

Don't really have many cons about them; some long hours maybe but that's to be expected if you want the fast paced, get everything done not energy of a startup.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Technical Staff  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Staff in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work! A very talented and ambitious group of people .

Cons

- No cons, everything is good.

You are on the right track!

Amazing product, amazing people, amazing company.

Former Employee - Sales  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best product on the market, great team, great ethos.

Cons

Management are too quick to judge without understanding the facts first.

Just be a little cautious when making judgement. Other than that I see a bright future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Great Atmosphere, Great Compabny

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome work environment, great people, appreciation from the managers, Free Benefits, flexible hours, highly skilled, brilliant team members, Learning and training provided and encouraged. Potential for growth.

Cons

not much to report here. lot's of change happening at the moment and it can be confusing but not unbearable.

Keep informing your employees when they have done well and encourage them to do better by offering more ways to improve their skills with classes, seminars etc.

Excellent senior management, great market position

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Pentaho full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very hot business area
    Very professional sales and marketing operation
    Good constructive attitude at all levels
    Good ongoing training for field teams
    Good compensation packages

Cons

Very competitive market
    High pressure
    Lots of growth mean knowledge can be spread thinly

Focus on the product

Unstructured Company

Current Employee - Tech Support  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for less than a year

Pros

Atmosphere was laid back, and has a good floor plan.. has a bar and free soda

Cons

Terrible interview questions
    Managers do not know how to Decipher Good potential employees and bad
    people looked like they hated their job

Do not base your understanding of a prospected employee off of a role play scenario made up on the spot... Prospects do not know your structures or systems you use , so asking them how they would handle a scenario/ trouble shoot a Pentaho issue is not a valid question. the information is not there nor the training... Again bad interview questions = Bad Management.. Find other opportunities

Great people, high energy company

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Pentaho full-time

Pros

The people are great. everyone is hardworking and smart. It is a fast pace environment. Good product.

Cons

A lot of young people. I was surprised when I saw some bad reviews but then I read them and can tell who wrote them. If this is your first job you have no idea what a horrible job is really like. lol

Keep investing in product. Expand my territory! lol

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great and it's always fun to come to work. You feel like you're going to hang out with friends and get stuff done. I look forward to going to work every day.

Cons

Some of the people are political and there are lots of growing pains as the company is rapidly getting bigger. That is a really small fraction, though, and I think it mostly affects management. There is really no formal on board training, which makes ramping up challenging. You have be comfortable with change and moving fast to fit in.

High Energy, pre-IPO company, great benefits, and interesting technology platform

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

Pros

Take good care of employee's, work hard, play hard - 3 week sprint cycles (Agile/Scrum) and lot's of different technology integration.

Cons

Culture may not be a match for some people not into team drinking (full stocked bar). Still a young crowd in an open space floor plan (very noisy and distracting).

Nice try but not going anywhere

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the size and unique atmosphere. There are some wonderful people at this company. The benefits and work environment are second to none. The founders are excellent people and the engineers are a joy to work with and extremely intelligent. I enjoyed going to work here every day until politics and drama got in the way. Sales execs are more concerned with a CYA approach to metrics than they are in actually cornering the market by developing a dominating approach to winning business.

Cons

The product may be a winner but the reason the company is not growing at the rate it should is because the marketing department runs a good portion of the sales team. They are learning on the fly. The result? An eroding business plan with unrealistic expectations, they have succeeded in corrupting an environment that was once a great place to work. The entire team lacks communication, focus and discipline. The marketing team exhausts the sales team by asking for their opinions and then paralyzing them in group thought exercises. This brainstorming hell goes on for hours each week...with very little change taking place. I found myself singing Kumbiyah to appease the top brass rather than focusing on my job of selling a brand. There is a constant turnover on the sales side of the organization and they are burning through good people fast.

Get your sales reps out in the field. Force reps to do outbound prospecting, they are spoiled and rely entirely on what falls into their lap. Set metrics for a minimum amount of demos each month rather than accepted opportunities. Do you see how this caters to them accepted opportunities caters to their metrics? It has no defining qualities...Hire more sales engineers and start training people from the inside rather than looking elsewhere constantly. Pull the fire alarm and acquire visualizations out of the box to compete with tableau, jasper and good data. The market is becoming more competitive each day.

Worked for Pentaho? Contribute to the Community!