Pentaho

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Pentaho Chairman and CEO Quentin Gallivan

Quentin Gallivan

Great People, Great Atmosphere, Great Compabny

ProsAwesome work environment, great people, appreciation from the managers, Free Benefits, flexible hours, highly skilled, brilliant team members, Learning and training provided and encouraged. Potential for growth.

Consnot much to report here. lot's of change happening at the moment and it can be confusing but not unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep informing your employees when they have done well and encourage them to do better by offering more ways to improve their skills with classes, seminars etc.

Excellent senior management, great market position

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsVery hot business area
    Very professional sales and marketing operation
    Good constructive attitude at all levels
    Good ongoing training for field teams
    Good compensation packages

ConsVery competitive market
    High pressure
    Lots of growth mean knowledge can be spread thinly

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the product

Unstructured Company

Tech Support (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsAtmosphere was laid back, and has a good floor plan.. has a bar and free soda

ConsTerrible interview questions
    Managers do not know how to Decipher Good potential employees and bad
    people looked like they hated their job

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not base your understanding of a prospected employee off of a role play scenario made up on the spot... Prospects do not know your structures or systems you use , so asking them how they would handle a scenario/ trouble shoot a Pentaho issue is not a valid question. the information is not there nor the training... Again bad interview questions = Bad Management.. Find other opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, high energy company

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are great. everyone is hardworking and smart. It is a fast pace environment. Good product.

ConsA lot of young people. I was surprised when I saw some bad reviews but then I read them and can tell who wrote them. If this is your first job you have no idea what a horrible job is really like. lol

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in product. Expand my territory! lol

Amazing place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsThe people are great and it's always fun to come to work. You feel like you're going to hang out with friends and get stuff done. I look forward to going to work every day.

ConsSome of the people are political and there are lots of growing pains as the company is rapidly getting bigger. That is a really small fraction, though, and I think it mostly affects management. There is really no formal on board training, which makes ramping up challenging. You have be comfortable with change and moving fast to fit in.

High Energy, pre-IPO company, great benefits, and interesting technology platform

Senior Java Developer (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsTake good care of employee's, work hard, play hard - 3 week sprint cycles (Agile/Scrum) and lot's of different technology integration.

ConsCulture may not be a match for some people not into team drinking (full stocked bar). Still a young crowd in an open space floor plan (very noisy and distracting).

Nice try but not going anywhere

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsI loved the size and unique atmosphere. There are some wonderful people at this company. The benefits and work environment are second to none. The founders are excellent people and the engineers are a joy to work with and extremely intelligent. I enjoyed going to work here every day until politics and drama got in the way. Sales execs are more concerned with a CYA approach to metrics than they are in actually cornering the market by developing a dominating approach to winning business.

ConsThe product may be a winner but the reason the company is not growing at the rate it should is because the marketing department runs a good portion of the sales team. They are learning on the fly. The result? An eroding business plan with unrealistic expectations, they have succeeded in corrupting an environment that was once a great place to work. The entire team lacks communication, focus and discipline. The marketing team exhausts the sales team by asking for their opinions and then paralyzing them in group thought exercises. This brainstorming hell goes on for hours each week...with very little change taking place. I found myself singing Kumbiyah to appease the top brass rather than focusing on my job of selling a brand. There is a constant turnover on the sales side of the organization and they are burning through good people fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your sales reps out in the field. Force reps to do outbound prospecting, they are spoiled and rely entirely on what falls into their lap. Set metrics for a minimum amount of demos each month rather than accepted opportunities. Do you see how this caters to them accepted opportunities caters to their metrics? It has no defining qualities...Hire more sales engineers and start training people from the inside rather than looking elsewhere constantly. Pull the fire alarm and acquire visualizations out of the box to compete with tableau, jasper and good data. The market is becoming more competitive each day.

Could Have Potential

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsHelpful coworkers to help you learn. People at your level in different areas are good people.

ConsPeople are unhappy in every position. People don't tend to stay long. Many good people leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on current employee base so people don't keep leaving due to discontent

Feb 24, 2014

Thanks for your honest feedback here. I’m happy to hear that you find coworkers to be helpful and welcome you to reach out to me to discuss your thoughts in detail. We’re always striving to make ... More

Great growing company

ProsFast pace, fast growth, awesome tech

ConsNo downsides here unless you don't like a fast paced place

Feb 24, 2014

I want to thank you for your feedback here. It’s great to know you are optimistic about the company’s future! Feel free reach out to me if you would like to provide additional insight.

Best place to work IF you need to get paid while looking for the job you really want!

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsPros: Richard Daley (founder) is a pioneer and is great to work with. He has got a great vision and strategy. The open source technology is fundamentally great for the SMB space. Selling into this space where customers have smaller budgets and the backend (ETL) is more important is fairly easy. The open source community loves Pentaho’s open source beginnings.

ConsCons are regarding the above pioneer Richard Daley. Unfortunately the guy with the great vision and understanding of what is needed to make the technology “Enterprise” ready and overall better is overlooked when making product/release decisions. Therefore, the product has gotten worse. Proven by Gartner- Pentaho has highest number of unhappy customers. From a technology perspective, if you are in sales, and you are going to sell something, and you’re going to a midsize startup, this is not where you want to be or what you want to sell. Largest number of unhappy customers?

Oracle customers are unhappy but still buy out of necessity and name. You come here, without a name like Oracle and already established unhappy customers…….good luck!

Company Culture:

Bad, Bad, Bad.

Reviews here are a bit of smoke and mirrors as well. Obviously marketing added their own reviews to make things look better. In my 20 years of Enterprise sales at startups and large enterprises, I’ve never seen so much dysfunctional behavior from the management. The culture is horrible. For the few folks that have spent significant time there (not many), when asked why they are still there, the answer is always the same. Not that they love their job, it’s a great environment, they are making money, or learning…. It’s because they have a lot of stock. Pretty lame reason to stick with being miserable.

Overall most people ARE miserable. Turnover is very high. In the last 7 months of being there before my departure (I found a much better environment to be in) they’ve lost almost all of their west sales team that I was on. Lost as in people quit! Managers are micro managers. Which isn’t all that bad if they have other good managerial qualities, but unfortunately they don’t. Manager for the west would be much better suited as an individual contributor. He lacks managerial skills, and leadership qualities. Is a “Me” guy. This is coming from someone who made money, and hit his number, yet couldn’t take the BS.

Overall one of the worst organizations overall I’ve ever known or have been a part of. Same goes for every unit within the company aside from the engineers- Who are hard working and dedicated, and go the extra mile. They were a pleasure to work with.
    Do yourself a favor, if you need a job, take this one, knowing you will be going through a similar process to that of a farm system in baseball (buying time until you go to a real team/Job). Put up with the BS, say you are committed, then take the better job that comes along.

PS- if you think anything said above isn’t valid- During your interview process, request to know if you are a backfill, and what happened to the person before you. Ask about the amount of turnover. How long the average tenure per rep is. Make sure you get your job role, territory, and accounts in writing before you start. They should be able to provide you this detail level of info to you very easily, I mean, they are an analytics company right?

Advice to Senior ManagementI knew 2 days into the gig I was out. From the other senior reps telling me this place wasnt the place to be, to the way the management interacted with the reps, to the silent sales floor, I decided to keep on interviewing.

Hopefully the executive staff will eventually see that a lot of good/successful reps are leaving frequently. And maybe then, just maybe they will realize the reason. If they don’t, they soon will because soooo much turnover effects sales(which will open their eyes). And the manager that constantly puts the blame on the reps, eventually will be found out as a fraud.

There is only so much finger pointing one can do. This company has a chance if they gut the management team.

“Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”

Feb 24, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We value all input and appreciate your comments on the company’s strong open source background. It’s unfortunate to hear about some of your ... More

Worked for Pentaho? Contribute to the Community!