Pearson
www.pearson.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Pearson Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

John Fallon

Pros:
  • "There is an excellent work-life balance; overtime is hardly ever necessary"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Sometimes might need to work for long hours, imbalance work for developers"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

excellent place to work

Administration Specialist (Current Employee)
Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Prosgood people, good benefits and quality of life

Consnone I found important to mention

Advice to Senior Managementtake advice from experience people on the floor

Technical support specialist - Jail cell!

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Burlington, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you live in Burlington, it's nice and close.

ConsCome on down to Pearson. Don't forget to grab a pair of handcuffs on your way in because you are only allowed 15 mins a day of personal time...literally... Its clocked with the queue system.... The rest will be on the phone BSing your way through a support call. Or waiting for the next ring.

If you look up "micro-managment" in the dictionary you will see a picture of the Pearson building.

Think you can just put in your time and move up in the company? Think again. The Burlington office is treated like the unwanted step son of this american company. Higher up positions are givin to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry motivating employees with praise when they've done something good. The harsh stat oriented environment kills the moral and potential enjoyment of working at Pearson, ultimately decreasing productivity.

Excellent place to work

Project Lead (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsAllows expression of opinion; management is very supportive; extremely interested in the customer's benefit; open-door policy.

ConsA few time it behaves like a big corporation (which they are) with lots of departments (does not happen very often).

Wonderful people, zero room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time

ProsWonderful staff to work with (non-management)
Great benefits and work/life balance
Casual dress and work environment
On-site cafe
Discounts on movie and event tickets

ConsNo job security
No room for advancement
No clear reporting structure, evaluations are useless
Zero direction from management
Layoffs are common

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter manage your staff and train the staff you have properly while making them better aware of expectations.

Pleasant coworkers but the company is struggling with the death of print

Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost people are very nice to work with. Benefits are good. Hours are good and vacation time is decent. Pretty flexible for most positions if you need to deal with family things etc.

ConsPearson is a publishing company, used to making print books. They are trying to transition to digital products and services, but are having a hard time. They are currently cutting headcount overall and trying to figure out new business models.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries in order to attract the most qualified people. If you want to build the best products and services, you need to hire the best people. Communicate a clear business plan.

Great perks & sales oriented company

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson

ProsPearson Educaton has a great way of motivating all sales and marketing employees. They hold fantastic sales meetings in gorgeous locales.. They also have great benefits, fantastic pension plan (4.5% of pay is put into an account plus they match what you put in). Their senior managers are very strong and listen to all employees. No egos there. There is also not a lot a lot of bureaucracy. This company is a true meritocracy.

ConsThe pay is low for the amount of hours required to do a successful job. That being said, there are a lot of intrinsic rewards offered such as praise, awards, team work that go with working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off the profit sharing plan. It is too confusing to be motivating and many mid level managers do not have that much say over profit levels.

Excellent Products, Great People, bad sales crediting

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPearson's overall mission to help students get through college is excellent. I believe the MyLab products they create when in the hands of professors make a difference to the students, with the low retention rates in colleges and the high student loans students need to have personalized learning on their schedule. The benefits are great, top healthcare benefits, matching up to 3% for 401k and half contribution matching until 6%. The management overall is now top notch and willing to listen for solutions from all parts of the company. Pearson is trying hard to be at the top of the industry and transform itself into a technology company.

ConsThe largest issue with Pearson is that all of it's systems are old. The CRM is from 1996 most of the information is entered manually by a sales representative and breaks often. The sales reporting tools are not transparent and are confusing to interpret. Since the systems are so old many of the new product models are not supported by the old reporting systems. This creates all sorts of situations where Pearson is receiving money but sales does not see credit. Additionally when there are errors or misunderstandings around crediting issues the people in charge of the sales crediting are ridiculous to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I was running Pearson I would invest in a CRM that helped my sales people move from data entry to selling. I would also ensure that all of the sales crediting issues and cloudiness around payment got corrected.

Great place to work.

Temporary Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Iowa City, IA (US)

I have been working at Pearson part-time for less than a year

ProsThe atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The people you work with are helpful, team players. Great training and they have a lot of free online courses that can be taken for free anytime you want to expand you knowledge in a particular area. A lot of the employees are allowed to telecommute and meetings can be joined by all team members through the use a video chat platform.

ConsThe hours in some of the temp positions are unpredictable. But this is not an issue for permanent full time positions.

Pearson has exceeded my expectations in being a great place to work!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsIf the publishing industry is where you want to have a career, the only place to do that is at Pearson. This time of massive change in the indutsry can be very stressful. Almost all of Pearson's competitors are financially in horrible places. Pearson protects there on without massive layoffs. Your job may change but you will still have one! Training is well done and management is supportive without micromanaging which is important! There are huge opportunities for advancement, great compensation and benefits.

ConsThe world's leading learning company is massive. It may seem overwhelming at first but it gets easier with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people on the ground! We are the closest to the customers and possess the most insight.

Great company with great people and benefits.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Sandy, UT (US)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and people are great. Management was very flexible with personal needs and life balance of employees. Very nice building with good work environment.

ConsCompany sometimes seems to be lacking direction and organization. Communication from management needs to be better. Also their seems to be some real communication and collaboration barriers between different departments in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve communication and organization.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 660 reviews are posted anonymously by Pearson employees.