Pearson

Updated 28 February, 2015
Updated 28 February, 2015
3.1

John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Work

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Good benefits nank kkkk kkkk

Cons

Low salary big company sav edd

Better salary illll lll, kk,

Nice people but there are some weird things I cannot put a finger on.

Current Employee - Development Editor in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Development Editor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

-- Monthly breakfast meetings with the CEO (coffee breaks) that go on for about 1 to 1.5 hour in the cafeteria with updates on sales, products, and where you can see almost everyone (about 100 - 150) who work at the Don Mills office.
    -- Company subsidized cafeteria facing a ravine, where you can buy cheaper prepared lunches and spend time with your co-workers at lunch time if you want to.
    -- Generally, because it's an educational company, I think they have better morals than say non-educational companies. They seem to care about their employees, and create training programs that help them.
    -- A lot of talented people working there. It's a good place to make connections.
    -- Granted those talented people are not necessarily geniuses. They are good at doing the book business, but they may not be the most creative in other ways. I think the book publishing business is rather academic and attracts people who don't mind that type of long project life cycle and academic prose.

Cons

-- The building is not well designed, it was made in the 60s or 70s. A lot of cubicles and offices have no access to natural light. The areas with natural light are not being shared with the most employees for their mental health and well-being. I found it difficult sitting under fairly low ceilings with banks of fluorescent lights far from any windows.

-- There are a lot of introverts who work in publishing companies, I find. So socially, you will notice the company amplifies the best qualities of introverts (i.e. focus and meticulousness) while being weak on the weak points of introverts (not risk takers perhaps?). You may notice cliques as introverts more likely to play favourites while extroverts more likely to treat everyone equally. This is my personal opinion though. I was hired at the same time as another person. Even though we were ok with each other work-wise, I felt like they did not see me as a friend. They did not say (In 7months) good morning, good night, or how are you, unless I asked them first. After I started, I noticed that sometimes when I said good morning, they just looked at me with no response and went back to their computer. After a while, it was a bit of a dampener. Also my manager used to look at her 90% of the time in training sessions when I first started which made me feel like she was her favourite to begin with.

-- It is a conservative sort of company. Processes change slowly, it's not really efficient because there are a lot of old-timers there. I think many people are risk-averse there, I felt like in another era a number of them would be mideval monks poring over manuscripts in their dark rooms, some seemed to be comfortable in hermit mode. There are lots of jigsaw puzzles hanging around. They think this is fun, and it could be for a lot of editors who are kind of book nerds.

-- Recently there were lots of people laid off every two months. In waves. Because the sales were not high enough to support them, senior people were let go maybe six at a time. We got these short e-mails that said "so and so doesn't work here anymore effective immediately. please join me in wishing them the best in the future." except their emails were probably disconnected and there was no forwarding email. Every time senior people got laid off, the remaining team huddled together to discuss what just happened, a little frightened, a little relieved, numb by now because so many of their former colleagues are gone.

-- DIsorganized, job duties have changed significantly (up to 50%), information is decentralized so you have to ask lots of people and each will only give you some information, maybe incomplete, missing stuff, erroneous, and it's going to be like this into the forseeable future.

-- DEs are expected to do a lot of digital production now. It's not like in the past when the focus was on print books. Production may mean creating lots and lots of spreadsheets specifying thousands of questions, quizzes, etc. It may not have any literary or artistic merit to you and is bureaucratic tedium, maybe not what someone envisioned when they wanted to be an editor.

good luck.
    centralize and share information.
    bring more extroverts to lead teams. root out toxic behaviours, i.e. cliques and unhealthy competition between team members, keep an open door and try to avoid favouritism that is obvious to your employees.

It started off great...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance
    Great Team
    Management Style
    Extra benefits - like tuition reimbursement
    Active Social Committee
    Excellent Team Environment
    Flexible Schedule
    Telecommuting Opportunities
    Agile Development Environment

Cons

Budget Restraints
    Travel Restrictions
    no on-site management
    Room for advancement
    Dated Technology
    The most simple requests - like a new battery for my laptop - took over three months to get approved. I never actually got it.

It seems like we had some great opportunities with the Common Core projects, however, it was disappointing to see that not much came from it. We are in an exciting time for Education and it is sad that Pearson could only make the news for big mess-ups.

Good entry level position to get through school.

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

Relaxed environment, Good team building culture

Cons

Terrible hours with rotating shifts. Overnights, weekends, evenings.

Better compensation for overnight shifts. Have more than one support agent - safety issue.

a fair company to work with

Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

trying to stay on top by reinventing itself

Cons

some hard times these past few years, but I believe if successful can lead to a great future.

Lack of Knowledge

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of down time in callcenter

Cons

Managers are clueless and favouritism takes over

Get better managers

Pearson does not care about people only $$$

I worked at Pearson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of time off, decent pay, great co-workers

Cons

They don't care if you have been there 3 months or 30 years they just throw you out like yesterday's bagels.

excellent place to work

Current Employee - Administration Specialist in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Administration Specialist in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good people, good benefits and quality of life

Cons

none I found important to mention

take advice from experience people on the floor

Technical support specialist - Jail cell!

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you live in Burlington, it's nice and close.

Cons

Come on down to Pearson. Don't forget to grab a pair of handcuffs on your way in because you are only allowed 15 mins a day of personal time...literally... Its clocked with the queue system.... The rest will be on the phone BSing your way through a support call. Or waiting for the next ring.

If you look up "micro-managment" in the dictionary you will see a picture of the Pearson building.

Think you can just put in your time and move up in the company? Think again. The Burlington office is treated like the unwanted step son of this american company. Higher up positions are givin to them.

Try motivating employees with praise when they've done something good. The harsh stat oriented environment kills the moral and potential enjoyment of working at Pearson, ultimately decreasing productivity.

Excellent place to work

Former Contractor - Project Lead in Vancouver, BC
    Former Contractor - Project Lead in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Pearson as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allows expression of opinion; management is very supportive; extremely interested in the customer's benefit; open-door policy.

Cons

A few time it behaves like a big corporation (which they are) with lots of departments (does not happen very often).