Pearson
www.pearson.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Pearson Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

John Fallon

Pros:
  • "There is an excellent work-life balance; overtime is hardly ever necessary"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Sometimes might need to work for long hours, imbalance work for developers"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

excellent place to work

Administration Specialist (Current Employee)
Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Prosgood people, good benefits and quality of life

Consnone I found important to mention

Advice to Senior Managementtake advice from experience people on the floor

Technical support specialist - Jail cell!

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Burlington, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you live in Burlington, it's nice and close.

ConsCome on down to Pearson. Don't forget to grab a pair of handcuffs on your way in because you are only allowed 15 mins a day of personal time...literally... Its clocked with the queue system.... The rest will be on the phone BSing your way through a support call. Or waiting for the next ring.

If you look up "micro-managment" in the dictionary you will see a picture of the Pearson building.

Think you can just put in your time and move up in the company? Think again. The Burlington office is treated like the unwanted step son of this american company. Higher up positions are givin to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry motivating employees with praise when they've done something good. The harsh stat oriented environment kills the moral and potential enjoyment of working at Pearson, ultimately decreasing productivity.

Excellent place to work

Project Lead (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsAllows expression of opinion; management is very supportive; extremely interested in the customer's benefit; open-door policy.

ConsA few time it behaves like a big corporation (which they are) with lots of departments (does not happen very often).

Wonderful people, zero room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time

ProsWonderful staff to work with (non-management)
Great benefits and work/life balance
Casual dress and work environment
On-site cafe
Discounts on movie and event tickets

ConsNo job security
No room for advancement
No clear reporting structure, evaluations are useless
Zero direction from management
Layoffs are common

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter manage your staff and train the staff you have properly while making them better aware of expectations.

Pleasant coworkers but the company is struggling with the death of print

Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost people are very nice to work with. Benefits are good. Hours are good and vacation time is decent. Pretty flexible for most positions if you need to deal with family things etc.

ConsPearson is a publishing company, used to making print books. They are trying to transition to digital products and services, but are having a hard time. They are currently cutting headcount overall and trying to figure out new business models.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries in order to attract the most qualified people. If you want to build the best products and services, you need to hire the best people. Communicate a clear business plan.

Great perks & sales oriented company

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson

ProsPearson Educaton has a great way of motivating all sales and marketing employees. They hold fantastic sales meetings in gorgeous locales.. They also have great benefits, fantastic pension plan (4.5% of pay is put into an account plus they match what you put in). Their senior managers are very strong and listen to all employees. No egos there. There is also not a lot a lot of bureaucracy. This company is a true meritocracy.

ConsThe pay is low for the amount of hours required to do a successful job. That being said, there are a lot of intrinsic rewards offered such as praise, awards, team work that go with working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off the profit sharing plan. It is too confusing to be motivating and many mid level managers do not have that much say over profit levels.

Pearson has exceeded my expectations in being a great place to work!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsIf the publishing industry is where you want to have a career, the only place to do that is at Pearson. This time of massive change in the indutsry can be very stressful. Almost all of Pearson's competitors are financially in horrible places. Pearson protects there on without massive layoffs. Your job may change but you will still have one! Training is well done and management is supportive without micromanaging which is important! There are huge opportunities for advancement, great compensation and benefits.

ConsThe world's leading learning company is massive. It may seem overwhelming at first but it gets easier with time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people on the ground! We are the closest to the customers and possess the most insight.

Great company with great people and benefits.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Sandy, UT (US)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and people are great. Management was very flexible with personal needs and life balance of employees. Very nice building with good work environment.

ConsCompany sometimes seems to be lacking direction and organization. Communication from management needs to be better. Also their seems to be some real communication and collaboration barriers between different departments in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve communication and organization.

Good internship

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)
Iowa City, IA (US)

I worked at Pearson as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt paid well as an internship and the hours were flexible. Co-workers were helpful.

ConsLarge company, easy to get lost in bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere may be more management then is necessary.

Good place to work with

Manager At 190 (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are great. Working environment good. Benefits good. Salary acceptable.

There is a very strong focus on delivering services to customers that will really improve lives. A strong mission and one that throughout the company (most) people buy into.

You are worked hard, but their is a strong sense of job satisfaction.

ConsCareer development is limited. For an education company they show surprisingly little interest in educating their staff. The company pays lip service to the idea but in reality most teams are too overstretched to have time for personal development. No great interest in supporting their staff to gain industry-recognised certifications.

Although the company ethos is positive and enlightened, managers at all levels struggle to translate this into a positive working environment. A lot of stifling compliance-focused management. Definitely, there is a clique of showy people who get ahead.

Recent company-wide restructure has confused most staff; a lot aspirational waffle which translates to a confused strategy. Improved communication required.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove investment in technology.
Improve communication.
Pay has become an issue in the last few years and this needs to be addressed.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 652 reviews are posted anonymously by Pearson employees.