Pearson

www.pearson.com

Pearson Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media(in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street(in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours(in 25 reviews)

excellent place to work

Administration Specialist (Current Employee) Hamilton, ON

Prosgood people, good benefits and quality of life

Consnone I found important to mention

Advice to Senior Managementtake advice from experience people on the floor

Pearson does not care about people only $$$

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of time off, decent pay, great co-workers

ConsThey don't care if you have been there 3 months or 30 years they just throw you out like yesterday's bagels.

Technical support specialist - Jail cell!

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsIf you live in Burlington, it's nice and close.

ConsCome on down to Pearson. Don't forget to grab a pair of handcuffs on your way in because you are only allowed 15 mins a day of personal time...literally... Its clocked with the queue system.... The rest will be on the phone BSing your way through a support call. Or waiting for the next ring.

If you look up "micro-managment" in the dictionary you will see a picture of the Pearson building.

Think you can just put in your time and move up in the company? Think again. The Burlington office is treated like the unwanted step son of this american company. Higher up positions are givin to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry motivating employees with praise when they've done something good. The harsh stat oriented environment kills the moral and potential enjoyment of working at Pearson, ultimately decreasing productivity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work

Project Lead (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsAllows expression of opinion; management is very supportive; extremely interested in the customer's benefit; open-door policy.

ConsA few time it behaves like a big corporation (which they are) with lots of departments (does not happen very often).

Wonderful people, zero room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful staff to work with (non-management)
    Great benefits and work/life balance
    Casual dress and work environment
    On-site cafe
    Discounts on movie and event tickets

ConsNo job security
    No room for advancement
    No clear reporting structure, evaluations are useless
    Zero direction from management
    Layoffs are common

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter manage your staff and train the staff you have properly while making them better aware of expectations.

Pleasant coworkers but the company is struggling with the death of print

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsMost people are very nice to work with. Benefits are good. Hours are good and vacation time is decent. Pretty flexible for most positions if you need to deal with family things etc.

ConsPearson is a publishing company, used to making print books. They are trying to transition to digital products and services, but are having a hard time. They are currently cutting headcount overall and trying to figure out new business models.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries in order to attract the most qualified people. If you want to build the best products and services, you need to hire the best people. Communicate a clear business plan.

Great perks & sales oriented company

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsPearson Educaton has a great way of motivating all sales and marketing employees. They hold fantastic sales meetings in gorgeous locales.. They also have great benefits, fantastic pension plan (4.5% of pay is put into an account plus they match what you put in). Their senior managers are very strong and listen to all employees. No egos there. There is also not a lot a lot of bureaucracy. This company is a true meritocracy.

ConsThe pay is low for the amount of hours required to do a successful job. That being said, there are a lot of intrinsic rewards offered such as praise, awards, team work that go with working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off the profit sharing plan. It is too confusing to be motivating and many mid level managers do not have that much say over profit levels.

Saw Better Times before the Re-org

Director (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting field of education, good benefits

ConsManagement too absorbed in their own position, and not enough focus on keeping good people

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish up the re-org and invest in your people

good place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosbeen working here 3 years and I have no complaints.... well, not a lot. Great work life balance, right amount of stress without over burdening, very friendly colleagues, good perks and benefits, nice environment to work,

Constoo many changes, serious bureaucracy and politics, hard to move up the ladder unless you are ready to play the game, appears to be no sense of direction for promotions... a person can be in a role for many years!!

Great company

Account General Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsFantastic benefits. Great people and products.

ConsMarket is changing and resulting reorg can be tough. The future is bright!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the path we've set. Have patience. The strategy is sound but needs time.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!