Pearson Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014
Updated 28 August, 2014

3.3

John Fallon

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance if you're in Production or Media (in 60 reviews)

• Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 32 reviews)

• IT development teams and operations tend to work long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

excellent place to work

Current Employee - Administration Specialist  in  Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Administration Specialist in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

good people, good benefits and quality of life

Cons

none I found important to mention

take advice from experience people on the floor

Pearson does not care about people only $$$

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of time off, decent pay, great co-workers

Cons

They don't care if you have been there 3 months or 30 years they just throw you out like yesterday's bagels.

Technical support specialist - Jail cell!

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist  in  Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you live in Burlington, it's nice and close.

Cons

Come on down to Pearson. Don't forget to grab a pair of handcuffs on your way in because you are only allowed 15 mins a day of personal time...literally... Its clocked with the queue system.... The rest will be on the phone BSing your way through a support call. Or waiting for the next ring.

If you look up "micro-managment" in the dictionary you will see a picture of the Pearson building.

Think you can just put in your time and move up in the company? Think again. The Burlington office is treated like the unwanted step son of this american company. Higher up positions are givin to them.

Try motivating employees with praise when they've done something good. The harsh stat oriented environment kills the moral and potential enjoyment of working at Pearson, ultimately decreasing productivity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Project Lead  in  Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Pearson as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Allows expression of opinion; management is very supportive; extremely interested in the customer's benefit; open-door policy.

Cons

A few time it behaves like a big corporation (which they are) with lots of departments (does not happen very often).

Wonderful people, zero room for growth

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Wonderful staff to work with (non-management)
    Great benefits and work/life balance
    Casual dress and work environment
    On-site cafe
    Discounts on movie and event tickets

Cons

No job security
    No room for advancement
    No clear reporting structure, evaluations are useless
    Zero direction from management
    Layoffs are common

Better manage your staff and train the staff you have properly while making them better aware of expectations.

Pleasant coworkers but the company is struggling with the death of print

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most people are very nice to work with. Benefits are good. Hours are good and vacation time is decent. Pretty flexible for most positions if you need to deal with family things etc.

Cons

Pearson is a publishing company, used to making print books. They are trying to transition to digital products and services, but are having a hard time. They are currently cutting headcount overall and trying to figure out new business models.

Increase salaries in order to attract the most qualified people. If you want to build the best products and services, you need to hire the best people. Communicate a clear business plan.

Great perks & sales oriented company

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Pearson Educaton has a great way of motivating all sales and marketing employees. They hold fantastic sales meetings in gorgeous locales.. They also have great benefits, fantastic pension plan (4.5% of pay is put into an account plus they match what you put in). Their senior managers are very strong and listen to all employees. No egos there. There is also not a lot a lot of bureaucracy. This company is a true meritocracy.

Cons

The pay is low for the amount of hours required to do a successful job. That being said, there are a lot of intrinsic rewards offered such as praise, awards, team work that go with working there.

Get off the profit sharing plan. It is too confusing to be motivating and many mid level managers do not have that much say over profit levels.

Claims moral high-ground on equality, but it's really just about payback.

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you play your cards right, and are of the correct oppressed demographic, you will go far. The struggle to succeed at Pearson was like going to graduate school for an MBA in Hard Knocks while being paid a good salary and benefits. I'll be able to use the bruises and scars from this experience to do even better in future endeavors.

The benefits are the best I've ever had. The salaries are great, also.

Cons

If you're a white male, plan for a long career in mediocre positions with lots of responsibility, no authority, no budget to accomplish the performance goals assigned to you by your manager, and an appalling lack of follow-through on the part of your manager as to said performance goals. The last time I was part of a decent and useful performance review was when I was the manager doing them with my direct reports.

Also, Pearson has a tendency to reorganize itself nearly every year. This habit creates a lot of org chart chaos and keeps anything from truly being settled and operationalized.

I'm 110% fine with men and women competing equally in the workplace. I enjoy working with women, sometimes even more than I enjoy working with men, because I find, in general, I get more intellectual enlightenment from the conversations I have with women. It's healthy to have both male and female perspectives in the room, working out solutions to daunting challenges. Each gender brings strengths to the table that help build a great business.

However...

Equality was supposed to be about...well...equality, not _payback_ or "grievance theater". I was let go after over a decade of trying to work my way up the ladder and being passed up for promotion after promotion. _Every_ time a promotion became available in my hierarchical vicinity, and I expressed an interest in and was quite qualified in obtaining it, it went to a woman. 75-80% of supervisors above me were women. Only about half of them were qualified per the job description (especially the more technical parts) or even knew what they were doing. The other half who were qualified made darn sure any men who began to get "uppity" were put in their place through passive-aggressive tactics, demotion, or firing. In saying this, I don't blame the individuals so much as a persistent negative culture particular to certain levels of management at Pearson that had been fostered by a certain former high-level executive. Everyone feared that person and all decisions made were made in fear of incurring that exec's wrath. Not a good way to build a positive working environment.

Once, after a misunderstanding around project requirements, I was put into a room and literally interrogated by two female supervisors (the only thing missing was the bright light in my face). I was told how badly I had "damaged the reputation" of the department even though I had done nothing wrong. All documented evidence in my favor was rejected out-of-hand and I was not given the opportunity to include my accuser (also a woman) in the debate over what had gone wrong with the project. Her word was taken as gospel truth, without question, and my word was automatically discounted. After an hour of getting nowhere in my own, documented defense, I finally "broke" and I just let them believe whatever they wanted and took the consequence. The effort to defend myself was no longer worth it to me and I was done. It was a very, very toxic environment to work in.

At Pearson, especially in the corporate office levels, there is rampant nepotism and fairly shady insider business dealings. There is also a fair amount of sexual hi-jinx and harassment...and not just instigated by the men. Pearson HR does tend to fire both the man and the woman whenever a claim of sexual harassment is levied by either of them. Not sure what purpose firing both of them serves, but that's not my circus.

HR in particular, and the Diversity and Inclusion folks in general, needs to wake up and spend more time working on true egalitarianism, and stop playing petty identity politics games with peoples' careers.

Mixed Messages

Current Employee - Editor (Math)  in  Glenview, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Editor (Math) in Glenview, IL (US)

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I love coming to work here every day. I have learned a lot in a relatively short period of time. My immediate managers are super supportive and patient with me and coworkers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The company as a whole really doesn't value its workers. They hire almost exclusively on a Term Of Project basis and created a policy where you have to leave the company after 2 years if no permanent openings exist. They are constantly cutting positions even though there is tons of work to be done, making it more and more difficult for the people that still work here.

Other companies in the industry don't have a time limit for TOP employment. It seems so counterproductive to cut employees loose just as they are starting to hit their stride and understand the industry and the way things work in the company. Then you lose even more time during the hiring process and the training of new editors who come in not knowing what they are doing or how the company works.

Time to go back to the drawing board and respect the employees as customers

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, Medical/Dental/Vision, 401k company match, Holiday/Paid Time Off.
    Most importantly the legacy employees like myself who have been there for quite some time and understand the business.

Cons

Been with the company for 16+ years and its time that Pearson goes back to the drawing board and respect the employees as customers. We do all the work and do not get credit for it, or a thank you...The work ethic and culture with the changes of upper management over the years, especially the last 2 years, have hindered the morale with this company and made it very hostile. It's time to fix it. Enough is enough with squeezing every penny out of your employees because upper management can't make decisions in a timely manner but expects us to drop everything, work long hours and weekends with compressed schedules to generate product. Hello we are not robots. We are human beings that live and breathe with families at home that need us. Remember that when you go home Upper Management. Another issue is that I've seen is no more respect from upper management. They talk down to you, asked never to ask questions in meetings cause it is not my place too, accused of inaccurate facts when you proved them inaccurate and won't acknowledge they were wrong. I can go on and on. But one in particular is in a department meeting that a General Manager says "if you don't like it then this is not the place for you" in a response to a person asking a question about the ideas to improve the decision making of business cases and plan. I was floored as everyone else was in the room - gasped. Real professionalism in the workplace thrown out of the window at this company - nice leadership skills. Career Opportunities - at my worksite not many and it is frustrating when you want to grow and there are not any opportunities unless you move out of state. We are in the 21st Century aka digital resources and work remotely.

Time to go back to the drawing board and treat your employees as customer. You must change your hostile work ethic and culture for it to get better. I cringe when I go into the office cause you don’t know what you’re going to get hit with next. Here is an idea to fix it; Upper Management has a zero tolerance policy. If they treat any employee disrespectfully verbally or in email they are given a warning and if it happens again to the same employee or another employee then you’re fired. I've been in too many conference calls and meetings where I cannot believe the written/verbal behavior of upper management towards people, swearing, belittling, blaming with inaccurate facts, etc. It's uncalled for and needs to stop. Also, improve on your career opportunities so if a person in the Midwest can do a job that is located in Boston or USR is given a chance. You’re losing talented people because you have brought in the wrong people in management positions.

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!