Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great life/cultural exchange experience, and definite skills building

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsLearn about another culture and self through this experience. Learn how to be super resourceful, and building strong relationships/community. Needs are provided for- good benefits. Non-competitive eligibility when service is completed, and re-adjustment reward.

ConsSometimes to find support. Little choice in location and site work. Not as many trainings as would have liked.

A powerful forum for cross-cultural exchange

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great way to gain regional expertise. One of the best ways to learn a useful foreign language. Good way to build a strong network of peers interested in international development, international affairs. Generally the institution attracts an open-minded, solid, a fun bunch! A wonderful way to give yourself a uniquely challenging work experiences. Forces you to grow in unexpected ways

ConsSecurity issues, especially for women. You may get sent to a very unpleasant place. Expect extreme cultural shock depending on your country of choice.

Not just an idealistic decision, but also a practical career choice

Volunteer (Former Employee) La Romana (Dominican Republic)

ProsThere are certain things that you can only learn from having the real-world experience, and Peace Corps is a very unique way of having the chance for this type of learning. The experience can vary by country, but I found the staff to be very supportive and the trainings were good at the beginning. Also, they have just recently made some changes to the application and project assignment process that look promising, so check that out. Lastly, if you're interested in a career in development, this is a great jumping off point.

ConsA lot of the experience depends on the specific project you are assigned to, and not all of them are great. You do have some say in the type of project you want to be part of once you're in-country though. A whole lot of it depends on what you make of it and there is significant autonomy. Some people are ready for that and some aren't, but it can really satisfying and interesting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is some tension between the goals of the PC, basically between the cross-cultural goals and achieving actual development outcomes. I think PC can set higher expectations about the development outcomes. The cross-cultural piece is important, but it is not sufficient to give volunteers the impression that just doing that alone is enough.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging my weaknesses and strength, this position because a very rewarding experience.

Youth Development (Former Employee) Kiev (Ukraine)

ProsHands on cross-cultural skills, international relations, government agency work, gained language skills, and a new perspective of life over all.

ConsSo much personal growth is needed. But this is nothing close to a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great need to continuously improve as you do now.

Volunteer

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Lusaka, Lusaka (Zambia)

ProsThe experience is incredibly valuable. Don't expect to change the world or your village at that. But concentrate on the few really willing and open to learning. The experience depends solely on what you do to make it great. Or not.

ConsStaff were helpful most of the time. but there are some fundamental issues of transparency and efficiency assuming mostly due to the bureaucracy of the whole organization.

Experience was amazing

Girl's Education Extension Agenit (Former Employee) Kouvé (Togo)

ProsGetting to experience first-hand different cultures, gaining life experience, and really valuable soft skills. Living by your self in a host community is an amazing opportunity that most people never get to experience.

ConsSometimes it can feel lonely and like there is a lack of guidance, but it is also a great opportunity to learn to deal with ambiguity and be more flexible.

Amazing place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost challenging but rewarding experience of my life! Peace Corps offers an amazing opportunity to give back through service and work with really great people.

ConsExpect to be flexible! Learn how to make do with limited resources; it is a key component for success. The toughest job you’ll ever love!!

Intern

Communications Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe communications team at the organizations is comprised of top notch people who will give you a plenty of opportunities to learn more. The office culture was interesting because you get to interact with people who are passionate about improving the world.

ConsThe process for obtaining the security clearance was a bit cumbersome and definitely required a significant amount of persistence. Generally, the office felt a bit sterile.

The Peace Corps was not the experience that I had imagined it would be, but it was well worth it.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're an independent, self-motivated person who is okay with putting yourself outside of your comfort zone, the Peace Corps may be for you. It's a great way to gain new perspective on the world, as well as to contribute to a worthy cause.

ConsThe organization as a whole is committed to making things run smoothly and quietly. That means that if you want two years of solitude, you can have it (after the initial training, that it). On the downside, if you experience trouble at your site, you're on your own. Operations vary from country to country, but I found in my experience that the PC staff were not very supportive.

Guatemala Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful staff and many opportunities to develop projects and grow professionally

ConsNo work life balance. No freedom. Priorities are on keeping the post open, not on the life of the volunteers or the projects

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!