Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros:
  • "Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures"
    in 27 reviews
  • "work with little supervision on projects you develop closely with community contacts while learning a new language"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Being away from family and friends for so long, stomach illnesses, low wages"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Community Economic Development Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps for more than a year

ProsThis was the hardest, most rewarding job that I have ever had. Through this experience I learned a knew language, was able to work with a completely different culture and learned how to handle set backs.

ConsSometimes dealing with the federal government was a hassle.The communication between the field and Washington was often times delayed and confusing.

Hardest job you will ever love

I have been working at Peace Corps

ProsExperience, working abroad, community-level work

ConsApplication process, bureaucracy, too rigid at times

English Teacher, West Africa

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsGood medical coverage, flexible schedule. You get to live in an interesting environment with more responsibility than you will find elsewhere right out of college. If you buck the administration, you can accomplish really great and meaningful things. You have to be in it for the impact though, because the pay is third-world-chic. It is probably the adventure of a lifetime, for better and worse.

ConsNo nights, weekends, or holidays. Inflexible and patronizing management. Poor living conditions. Top management wants to treat you like a drone that accepts orders and obeys their checklists regardless of conditions on the ground or the needs of your partner organization. It takes courage and going directly against the wishes of management in order to accomplish the goals of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage. Let people on the ground take the lead, and support their actions, rather than treating them like puppets or slaves.

Great Experience

Technical Trainer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe company offers great training and staff development opportunities. The ideology of the organization makes it a meaningful experience.

ConsMay be required to deliver work that exceed work hours, Compensation only in Comp time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more upward mobility

My time in Peace Corps was challenging, rewarding, fulfilling but sometimes unsafe.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)
Ondangwa (Namibia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsHelp people, learn other cultures, understand and empathize with people better, be part of the development of a country on the rise.

ConsIsolation from family/friends and the realization that there is no quick fix.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransfer some of the money spent on recruiting or advertising for the Peace Corps to improving the efficiency that future volunteers/candidates are placed.

Solomon Islands

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsAmazing lifetime experience. Great people, both the volunteers and the locals

ConsWe were really isolated. No roads or any ability to get to the location of other PC volunteers.

Best job of my life

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time

Proswork with little supervision on projects you develop closely with community contacts while learning a new language

ConsYou don't get paid much, and there's always the chance you'll get sent somewhere that you just don't like.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the hiring process competitive. You need people who are willing to go anywhere and work hard.

Hardest job you will ever love

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsTravel, culture and opportunity. It is a great way to meet people with similar interests and a travel the world. You become part of a community in service and at home.

ConsYou are poor. You will miss your family. You are poor. As a government agency working with volunteers safety and security is a high priority and so often times you may feel as though you are being babied.

Largely positive, the volunteer experience is what you make of it.

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros-Extensive opportunities for professional development both in site and on the national level.
-Useful cross-cultural and language training.
-Opportunity to network with other volunteers, host country national organizations, and other expats.

Cons-Working for a large bureaucracy is never easy, and in my country, there has been an extraordinarily high rate of senior staff turnover which has sometimes resulted in sub-par in-field support and mixed messaging as concerns volunteer roles and responsibilities.
-Poor site development has been an issue in my country; volunteers sometimes arrive in their sites and the community does not understand how to utilize their skills because they do not understand the Peace Corps mission.
-Women must be extremely cautious in many countries, as they are likely to be living in regions where respect is not readily granted to them.

Hardest job you will ever love.

Business Educator and Adviser (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsIncomparable learning experience, language development, and character building. You will learn to be creative, develop dynamic activities and give training sessions in a second language. You will learn to be a professional all while bucket bathing, walking or taking buses, and living without electricity or a/c.

ConsLong and competitive application process, you have very little say over where you end up or your specific job title and responsibilities, you will have to embrace hard living environment and little pay, but I believe, it is completely worth the sacrifice.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All 312 reviews are posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.