Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros:
  • "Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Supervisors are host country nationals"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "It can be difficult to be away from family and friends but think about it this way"
    in 6 reviews
  • "There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Be there for the right reasons

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsGreat international experience, helps build a really strong network, and the training helps you develop hard-skills.

ConsYou are a volunteer, so the pay is small, but manageable to live on.

GREAT experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsLove it! I was sent to South Africa to live.

ConsIsolation in the village can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport sending volunteers home more.

Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Volunteer Food Security Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was truly an experience to be able to develop your own agenda and participate in the planning and execution of said project from start to finish. Where else where you be able to have complete autonomy of your desired work program? Plus, you get to make contacts in countless international organizations.

ConsThe pay is obviously lacking, and the work does not always translate into a job.

Community Health Promoter

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Prosevery day is an adventure. amazing life and career experience. learn another language, learn more about yourself and your strengths and challenge yourself every day.

Conscultural norms can be difficult to adjust too, requires great patience and flexibility, challenging readjustment back to the usa, staff support varies from country to country

Not incredibly well-run but probably the most well-run Peace Corps program in Africa.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee)
Dakar (Cameroon)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat experience learning to work in low-resource setting and enduring hot season and rainy season while still going to work every day. Supportive country director and cohort.

ConsLow pay. The hot season is a difficult time to live through because it coincides with the hungry season when food is honestly not plentiful. Some staff are difficult to work with as they do little actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more supervision and accountability among all host country staff.

Safe exposure to the world.

TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee)
Kiev (Ukraine)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is the safest way to experience a foreign culture for several years at a time. It provides a great safety network, connections and a host family that looks after you in your village. If you want to break free of ethnocentric viewpoints and see the world through others' eyes, then this is a great opportunity.

ConsIt's terribly depressing to be all alone in a foreign culture. Even though you do have a host family, friends and colleagues, you end up alone. A lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're doing a great job in Ukraine, at least.

Not as advertised - Namibia Health Volunteer

Windhoek (Namibia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for less than a year

ProsOpportunity to see another part of the world
Other Volunteers
Plenty of time to yourself

ConsThe biggest issue was lack of work. I left early largely because of this. I was not the only one. Most people I spoke with in my group had maybe 1-2 hours of real work per day (and that was if they were lucky). This is not due to laziness, this is due to lack of connections in the community and little support from the Peace Corps. If you go, be prepared to be an American ambassador more than anything else. Note: This is not a development job. I rarely heard of a project that was sustainable.

Cons: little to no site development by Peace Corps staff, safety concerns, Peace Corps does not take any negative feedback from volunteers seriously

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start listening to the volunteers that leave early instead of blaming them. This program has some major flaws that need to be addressed.

An organization that promises comprehensive support and training, but a staff that follows through on very little.

Savé (Benin)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsHealth care is reasonable (depending on the country) but not up to traditional American standards by any means; there is unlimited flexibility to creating third year positions should you choose to extend your time;

ConsA staff living in conditions that elevate them to a state beyond comprehension of the realities volunteers in their country live and work in creating unreliable managers with unrealistic expectations; world wide reporting systems that neglect the specifics necessary for project success in each country; very minimal if any project support (in terms of content, logistics and finances) at any point in time; managers with very narrow view of success due to an increasingly numbers driven philosophy on aid rather than a quality driven mindset.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake larger steps to understand the culture and environment you're living in so as to more accurately gauge the success of your programs. Focus on the quality of your work rather than pressuring volunteers to increase the size of their projects and number of successes; pressure created through a numbers based philosophy creates inaccurate statistics. Stop allowing budget cuts in the organization from preventing more comprehensive support to the volunteers.

A lifestyle, not a job.

Community Economic Development Volunteer (Current Employee)
Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsFreedom to work on whatever projects you feel that your community could benefit from. Great support from staff and other volunteers. Each PC office is autonomous and operates based on the host country's culture and customs.

ConsThere has been a push from congress to see more reporting and analysis of volunteer activities and achievements, which takes energy out of projects. Although I feel it is understandable it can complicate planning and evaluation.

The best 2 years of my life!

Volunteer English Teacher (Former Employee)
Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsA fantastic way to experience another way of living for 2 years of your life. Fantastic opportunities for graduate school and a unique edge (cross cultural skills, international experience, language skills, many other intangible skills, very cool stories) when job seeking.

ConsIt is tough at times so just make sure you can fully commit to 2 years BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. Always remember to take it one day at a time.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All 316 reviews are posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.