Paycom

Updated 19 November, 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• 1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job in 20 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my two decade career, I have been with Paycom for only a little more than a year but I can honestly say that among my many jobs, it's the most secure, the most rewarding and the most fun. Corporations are not always a good fit for my creative personality, but this has proven to be the exception.

In previous jobs, one of the worst things was dealing with toxic co-workers. Here they are not tolerated -- if they are hired at all they aren't kept around. In other words a friendly atmosphere of mutual respect is something I can look forward to each and every day. The diversity of workers is surprising for such a red state but something to be proud of 100%. While I came in with enough experience to bypass the entry-level positions, opportunities for advancement still exist for me and that's rare for so few OKC corporations.

Training is thorough, ongoing, and covers more topics beyond just stuff we need to know for our jobs. Work-life balance definitely exists and is encouraged. The perks are terrific from $1 health insurance to $4 catered lunches daily.

Cons

The only real disappointment I had upon joining Paycom is the same more than a year later --- vacation time. There is not enough of it that first year compared to other companies, and if you like to take your vacation days in large chunks the accrual system can work against you depending upon when you start in the year. That changes upon your 1year anniversary, but the accrual system is still there.

The vacation time issue should be addressed. At a company meeting about a year ago one of the VP's said it was being looked at...but no announcement has been made since.

Growing Company Offering Excellent Career Growth

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is fast-paced, fun and vibrant. I'm challenged every day to be the best I can be. I manage a large group of employees and am thrilled to have the opportunity to help them grow in their career and to watch them build their skill sets by providing them with more and more opportunities every day. That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company!

Cons

Paycom is not able to offer much flexibility, like working from home, or working flexible hours. This is unfortunate, however it is understandable. Many of our employees deal with very confidential information, so to insure the safety of the data, it never leaves Paycom.

Rapid growth can sometimes breed confusion and chaos. Paycom needs to stay committed to open communication, regular "all employee" meetings and leadership development.

More work than employees can handle and stay sane.

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Benefits, Corporate perks like cheap lunches, and a Gym that employees can use.

Cons

The company went public this year and stopped hiring even though business was coming in at a growing rate. This has made work life at Paycom very concerning. Turnover of great employees has resulted from this.

You need to hire at a lot faster rate than you currently are. There are workers doing the amount of work that 3 people should be doing.

Nov 3, 2014Representative

Thank you for your post and letting us know about your concern. As one of the fastest-growing companies in the country, we continually work to add talented employees to our staff. In fact, we are ... More

Paycom is a great place to grow

Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The challenges I face everyday help me grow personally and professionally. I started at the bottom and I'm determined to make it to the top, and to get there Paycom gives me clear steps. I've never worked for a company that cares so much about your growth. It's not for the weak though, the hard work you put in is directly related to the rewards you get. Paycom knows how to balance hard work and play, the culture is incomparable.

Cons

Any customer service job is a difficult industry to be in and dealing with paychecks takes it to another level. If you can learn to let things roll off your back then you can succeed.

Oct 22, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. We value your hard work and dedication to the organization!

Terrible Environment...Untrue Reviews

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training and Salary:

Training is quite extensive, yet in regard to applicable substance (applying the sales methodology in the field) its doesn't translate well to real life situations. Yet, when as a sales representative, you fall into the situations when the deal is easy to close (very rare), the amount of commission you can make is competitive to other payroll companies. However, the base salary is still 5 figures below what your going to get at the bigger competitors.

Cons

Culture, Management, Job Security:

Overall, this is a company that is lacking in each of these to the increasing detriment of all sales representatives.
    It's confusing because since the company has gone public, and is increasingly flush with cash, there still is a supreme lack attention paid to issues.

It might start with management since the majority of senior positions are filled with young 20 somethings that only have a year or 2 years of sales experience! This created several situations where sales representatives in my region either blatantly disregarded instructions from management due to their lack of knowledge and sales skills or management adopted draconian measures to keep track of sales representatives effectively destroying any sense of freedom to run, close, and process sales.

When it comes to culture, its a boiler room and don't let the interviewer tell you other wise. You have to perform or you will be sliced extremely quickly. Again, commissions are great when you do but this is a doubled-edged sword as even if you are at or exceeding your quota, you are forever asked "what you got next?"

- Weekly Quotas/Sell or get fired.

At the end of the day your quota does not matter, presidents club or otherwise. This
    has only gotten worse as the quarterly earnings reports that the company has to file are opportunities for C-Level staff to cut office spending on team contests and drive sales teams to work 13hr days to squeeze out more revenue to impress the stock holders. Again, you will be cut indiscriminately if you are seen as not abiding by this team mentality.

Also, there are christian attitudes impressed significantly upon the entire company. Often time the national sales call which are weekly, will intertwine sales success with prayers from senior management. Its extremely uncomfortable and I believe illegal.

Job Security, because of the above reasons, is always a guessing game. Not only can you be terminated for lack of continual performance, but you can be terminated for a "bad attitude". I've see reps dismissed instantly for "bumming the office out". Tough days in the job are in abundance, but you are not allowed to share those struggles.

Between the months long payroll setups - customers terminating their payment before commission is paid - Paycom charging your commission back because a customers termed before the 6 month mark - working on during black out holiday months (November / December)..etc. there will be many tough days.

This also goes the same for office politics. You have to be liked, in a personal sense (non-professional) by your direct supervisor or you will be first on the block. Again, I've seen representatives in my region perform well through out the year, and the in first down month they have had, their supervisor PIPs them and terminates them the proceeding month. And this was in the case of a representative exceeding quota up until that time.

Advice to Potential New Hires:

Apply to either Workday, ADP, ZenPayroll, Paylocity....etc.

Any of these will have Better Pay, Better Work Life Balance, and slightly better management.

Stop having team members write your own glassdoor reviews.
    This is suppose to be a neutral forum for potential new hires to assess if the company can be a fit for them.
    Learn that the annual surveys you run are not a reflection of the actual dissatisfaction stewing inside the organization. Staff and employees are afraid of voicing their real opinions in fear of instant termination.

The best company with a cubicle setting in OKC

Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

$1 medical insurance, $4 catered in lunches

Cons

Sitting in a cubicle, the rest is all great

Collaborative Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom is a busy, fast paced environment. There is no shortage of work and the team I work with are there to help with anything I need. I have worked for a couple large companies such as Paycom and they have all had their challenges but here I have found that everyone is willing to support each other. If you need help all you have to do is ask. $1 insurance, $4 lunches, free gym are some nice perks too.

Cons

IT has this place locked down. I understand the rational behind it, it just makes getting some things done a little harder. Other than that it's a great place to work.

Oct 16, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review! We handle sensitive information which, as you noted, is why our IT security is very thorough. We appreciate your review and hope you have continued success at Paycom.

Phenomenal company with excellent opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

At Paycom, there are incredible opportunities for advancement. My manager is deeply invested in my success and I have gained more experience here than any other job before. I honestly believe that Paycom is one of the best companies to work for.

Cons

The only thing I can think of, is that it is a lot of work, but I love what I do so it is worth it.

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive, positive work environment, great team spirit! Paycom is overall a great company to work for! If you have the drive and desire there are people willing to help you succeed. The opportunities at Paycom are endless! The company culture is second-to-none and all the sales reps feel like one big family, we are always encouraging one another along the way.

Cons

The first year is the hardest only because there is so much to learn; however, the training is excellent and after you build that solid foundation, you feel completely prepared for anything.

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Initially everything I learned about Paycom sounded too good to be true, and now I look at my life and everything is too good and too true! The culture is incredible, and it is the best feeling to work for a company with such incredible people. I can say it is the most difficult and most rewarding thing I have ever experienced. I love the challenge of every day. Success is in reach if you are intelligent, hard working, and positive!

Cons

I would say if you are not able to mentally manage your attitude and you are not mentally strong, you will fail!

Keep it up!!!

Sep 24, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. Your positive attitude will continue to propel your career. You keep it up as well!