Paychex Reviews

Updated 23 October, 2014
3.5

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 46 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Good training ground for sales people

Current Employee - HRS Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - HRS Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training, excellent benefits. Experienced management at all levels, and very accessible. Almost no BS. Sales + customer service + HR sales departments work well together. Customer service reps are local to the customers they serve (no long distance call centers). Reasonable prices and great customer service make for an easier sell.

Cons

Sales territories might not be sized well - having X number of assigned accounts does not mean much if accounts are very small.

Keep doing what you are doing - the company is well-ran.

Opportunity to grow and learn things in various departments within a stable and growing organization.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training not only for your role but opportunity to learn how all the parts fit together with other depts.

Cons

Flow of business can have peaks & valleys that you need to get used to. Some areas experience more turnover than others but primarily a solid stable organization. Advancement is there but takes time

Spend more time with your people who actually do the work to see what & how they do it

Great Company with excellent leadership

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychex is a solid company with great culture. With over 40 years in the payroll business and now focusing on helping businesses with everything from employee hire to retire, it is a great place to learn and grow. Strong leadership and training. Great company!

Cons

Paychex often has high turnover in the sales department, which can negatively impact relationships within the territory.

Paychex is a great company that truly cares about their employees and their professional and personal development.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paychex is ranked as one of the top training companies so they really want to set you up for success from the get go. They look for employees that want to make Paychex their long term career and offer a lot of room for advancement to make sure you stay challenged. The management team is there to coach and support you towards your career goals and there are notifications that you can sign up for so you are always notified of new opportunities that you are interested in.

Cons

Paychex really listens to their employees so there isn't any cons I see at this time.

Management is supportive, approachable, and motivating so I would recommend that it stays that way.

Great company to build a career with.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing at a very fast rate, debt free, great corporate leadership, excellent products, awesome training. Paychex is a great place to build a long term career if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

There are a lot of different products and it can take time to master selling them.

continue working to develop your top people and give them opportunities to grow.

Best choice I ever made

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management support and work environment. I love my team and really feel like my manager cares about my goals for the future.

Cons

Very busy work environment--which isn't necessarily a bad thing! There's always a lot to do, not much down time.

Continue to reach out to the field to "take their temperature". It's very much appreciated.

I am so happy to work here!

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

This is by far the largest company that I have worked for. I love the fact that I work for a large company but I am not just another number. Our Human Resources Department is very engaged with employees and they not only listen but they implement strategies for areas of improvement based on employee feedback.

I work with people who are very engaging, helpful and positive! The training has been out of this world. This is definitely a company that you are able to develop your skills and apply them in different areas of the organization for growth opportunities.

Benefits are great too!

Cons

I would love to have a direct number, they still use extensions here.

Keep doing what you are doing-being engaged, approachable and positive!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management takes an actual interest in your goals and helps you to learn/grow so that you're able to continue to progress within the company. There's so much training available to take advantage of and make yourself a viable candidate for future opportunities. It's nice to work for a company that gives back to it's local community.

Cons

The salary can sometimes be below market average but the benefits are very reasonably priced and help to make up for that.

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great worklife balance, amazing and constant trainings, strong leaders and management team and feel valued for my thoughts and opinions.

Cons

compensation could be a little better, but unlike other large employers, I don't ever feel threatened for my job security or about the risk of layoffs.

better compensation and more time off or roll-over time off. overall, doing a great job in making this a successful company and in building the company reputation in the marketplace!

I wish I started working here soon than I did

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy a fast pace and like to be challenged, Paychex offers the opportunity to do so without being micromanaged. Leadership is responsive to employees and looks for innovative ideas to accomplish what may be needed or lacking. Values are held in high esteem. People do care about one another. Company encourages you better yourself and take advantage of our learning system explore the future.

Cons

Sometimes workload can be a bit intense but that is part of every job worth doing.y positive, one of the best jobs in my career history

Maintain the supportive and approachable mentality.