Paychex

Updated 31 January, 2015
3.7

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opprotunity

Current Employee - National Sales Support in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - National Sales Support in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many opprotunities within the company. If your entry level position is not the right fit they will find a better fit for you

Cons

The nature of the job is hard. This is sales, its not for everyone

Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Great company to sell for. Brandon Placek is a great mentor and salesman!

Cons

I can not think of any.

Keep up the good work

Great people and a great manager

Former Employee - Paychex Small Business Payroll Representative in Glendale, CA (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training was not only educational but fun. They definitely know how to hire good people.
    I was lucky to have an excellent manager to work under. The best manager I have ever had...and I've had a few.
    Commission structure was very good, however it has changed since.
    Like any other sales position, you get out what you put in.

Cons

If you are male in this industry, then you have to work extra hard. Even more so if you are older and/or not attractive. Sounds ridiculous, but trust me its true.

My experience was just fine.

A great company that cares

Current Employee - Territory Ready Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Ready Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I LOVE working at Paychex. I look forward to coming to work every day. The training is top notch, the benefits are outstanding, and I love what Paychex stands for. The CEO is also awesome and you can tell he truly wants the best for the company AND the employees. The pay is really great too.

Cons

The challenges of this job are the same as any sales job. There are many competitors and we can't always match price. But work hard and show the value and it pays off

Competitive and supportive workplace

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Hard work is rewarded. Great place to build resume. Great training program.

Cons

Limited room for growth or advancement. Lateral moves are possible at almost any point but senior and management positions are almost nonexistent.

Sales policy does not make sense in New York, there needs to be more room for common sense and less strict adherence to policy that was designed to be effective in middle America.

Good pay and work environment, tedious and repetitive work.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I have been working at Paychex part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for an entry-level job requiring no experience. Mostly laid back environment during the work day. Weekends are always off days (except the occasional Saturday during quarter/year end). Big opportunities for advancement in the company. Paid time off and good vacation hours are a plus. Easy to get days off if needed. Job works well around school schedules. Management is very professional along with the environment.

Cons

The hours can go from morning to evening or afternoon to evening (about 8:00/8:30 during the midweek), not leaving much time during the week to get anything done other than going to work. During the busy season, the stress level is significantly higher than usual and the job is not enjoyable that way. Expectations can be sometimes confusing and not expressed clearly. The work is very, very repetitive.

Make sure you inform all new Fulfillment Specialists on the importance of packing speed and productivity expectations as soon as they start. Communicate the inner workings of Distribution to the Payroll Specialists upstairs so that the Fulfillment Specialists do not receive incorrect or confusing packing instructions and make errors. Hire temporary employees for the busy season so the stress level may be lowered.

Sales Representative

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly supportive and positive work environment

Cons

High Standards are in place

N/A

Every day that I work for Paychex, I love the company more and more!

Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in West Henrietta, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in West Henrietta, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First of all, there are endless opportunities for growth with Paychex; as long as you set a career goal and work hard, management will help you attain that goal. The work culture is very respectful, but also fun. Managment stresses work/life balance, which makes it easy to leave work at work!

Cons

Sometimes the job can get a bit monotous, but that can happen with any company!

Please keep doing exactly what you are doing as far as taking employee surveys, having the annual employee meeting, etc! I feel like my voice actually counts, and you are putting your employees first!

Sales experience I wish I had gotten 10 years earlier!

Current Employee - Major Market Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Major Market Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits and nationwide mobility. Perfect for recent graduates and life long sales/management or operations careers. I would be here until retirement if I could afford to!

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to move up if you don't want to move out of state because people want to stay where they are. Typical sales roles and conflicts arise but the product is good! Pay could be better for the stress levels in December/January!

Look at management styles or operation issues at local branches where you see high turnover (poll or interview the sales teams anonymously) to see what is missing in order to help them improve management or customer service concerns that make it hard to sell and keep clients.