Paychex Reviews

Updated 29 October, 2014
3.6

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 46 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities for growth

Cons

Pay is below other companies out there

Listen to your employees. Work load is not acceptable for the pay.

Good Company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company with good people. Compensation on the commission is good for sales people if you do well. I recommend to anyone in sales looking for work like balance.

Cons

Career growth and opportunity is few and far between. The base salary is low compared to the market, but the commission more than compensates for that.

Ethical company with great benefits

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health benefits are top notch, the culture is generally the same from corporate headquarters to the local branches

Cons

Don't give annual raises for sales rep, sometimes gets confusing when cross selling products (other divisions are often after the same client you are)

Consider giving raises if the employee is performing well

Great Company with excellent leadership

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychex is a solid company with great culture. With over 40 years in the payroll business and now focusing on helping businesses with everything from employee hire to retire, it is a great place to learn and grow. Strong leadership and training. Great company!

Cons

Paychex often has high turnover in the sales department, which can negatively impact relationships within the territory.

Good training ground for sales people

Current Employee - HRS Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - HRS Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training, excellent benefits. Experienced management at all levels, and very accessible. Almost no BS. Sales + customer service + HR sales departments work well together. Customer service reps are local to the customers they serve (no long distance call centers). Reasonable prices and great customer service make for an easier sell.

Cons

Sales territories might not be sized well - having X number of assigned accounts does not mean much if accounts are very small.

Keep doing what you are doing - the company is well-ran.

Opportunity to grow and learn things in various departments within a stable and growing organization.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training not only for your role but opportunity to learn how all the parts fit together with other depts.

Cons

Flow of business can have peaks & valleys that you need to get used to. Some areas experience more turnover than others but primarily a solid stable organization. Advancement is there but takes time

Spend more time with your people who actually do the work to see what & how they do it

Great company to build a career with.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing at a very fast rate, debt free, great corporate leadership, excellent products, awesome training. Paychex is a great place to build a long term career if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

There are a lot of different products and it can take time to master selling them.

continue working to develop your top people and give them opportunities to grow.

I wish I started working here soon than I did

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy a fast pace and like to be challenged, Paychex offers the opportunity to do so without being micromanaged. Leadership is responsive to employees and looks for innovative ideas to accomplish what may be needed or lacking. Values are held in high esteem. People do care about one another. Company encourages you better yourself and take advantage of our learning system explore the future.

Cons

Sometimes workload can be a bit intense but that is part of every job worth doing.y positive, one of the best jobs in my career history

Maintain the supportive and approachable mentality.

Great company, fantastic environment

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paychex is a fantastic place to work. I am constantly being challenged and given the autonomy to be successful. The company stands behind its values and offers a positive work environment with people who care. The benefits are fantastic and I have been given the opportunity to better myself as a professional through our learning management tool. I've also had the opportunity to work in cross-functional groups but...

Cons

If you're not based in Rochester, NY you can be more limited in your career as there is less opportunity for lateral moves and advancement in the field.

Paychex is an amazing company & great place to build a career!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paychex provides a great team-oriented culture with so much recognition for the hard work that you put in! We have a brand that we are proud to represent and awesome career opportunity! I have been with the company for 5 years and still have so much more room to grow and develop & am thankful that Paychex offers those opportunities internally. They also support a very healthy work/life balance!

Cons

There are not too many challenges of working here because the company really provides the support & development tools that you need to progress in your career.