Party City
www.partycity.com Rockaway, NJ 5000+ Employees

Party City Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours/schedule and decent easy money"
    in 15 reviews
  • "30% employee discount that also covers immediate family members"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The minimum wage was pretty disappointing"
    in 17 reviews
  • "retail means average pay, little room for advancement or career development"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Company in Transition

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I worked at Party City full-time for more than a year

ProsLearning retail from the ground up in a store that does party really well. In particular, a good starting place for future event coordinators or doing the seasonal stint at Halloween to learn the ropes of costuming.

ConsMore that most retail environments, Party City is seasonal and does not make any commitment concerning hours. Don't work here if you need a stable income as very few of the staff get this status.

New plans with not time to complete. At times very overwhelming

Manager (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe overall feel of the store is good. The employees are great

ConsUpper management are always changing there minds. Overworked and underpaid

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure when it is a busy time of year you have enough coverage on the sales floor.

All the fun and no play...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Party City full-time

Pros-excellent stories from customers
-potential to make friends with coworkers
-expand your knowledge of party supplies
-party creativity

ConsPlease excuse this long list.

These Cons will represent content that is Relevant and Helpful to the community.

Head Office
     Excellent staff, very friendly and cooperative. Whenever something was needed for store management, their help was prompt, courteous and appropriate. The President of the company is an excellent leader, role model, was always friendly and made it an effort to smile upon entering a store for a visit.
     However, the shadow politics and the corruption of processes are something that mar the company on the inside. If an employee would like proper legal representation, seek it outside since some departments fail to uphold the principle of best practices and neutrality. Ask any of the former Party City employees, they will tell you the horror stories.

Upper Management
     The District managers appear nice, welcoming and try to uphold the image of working together. Their workload may interfere with their better judgment at times, and yet they make up for it with long discussions in the office. They are eager to answer customer emails and phone calls, which follows up with overall great representation for the company.
      Now on the downside; since this is a site for present employees and former to write reviews for other individuals who are interested in working for the company; to begin with, the Upper Management bypasses Management to appear as a face for the company, and this is part of the game.

Proper representation from the employee's point of view fails on three levels: the first, in order to protect oneself, record your dealings and discussions, since they will be used for your evaluation; the second, have a witness present at all times during positive discipline; and third, do not use the company's resources for representation, you are better off using the government as a proper arbiter in labor disputes.

Management
      The management of Party City falls into two molds: excellent, social, caring and protective, or incompetent. Most individuals in these positions use their weak ties to become first in line or to convenience operations overall with a secret friendly handshake. That way, when the curtain of politics falls, the betterment of the company appears directly in the 50 shades of Grey.

Other Employees
      Those handpicked to take on the daily grind of stocking shelves, checking for missing prices, dealing with uncertain and abusive customers, those looking to make a big buck or taking the underpinnings of post-secondary education fill the void.

Compensation
      The compensation for the amount of hours worked is around minimum wage, and feels even less so for management, since the salary detracts from the hourly wage for every hour over the 37.5 you are supposed to be working for. The benefits are not of the epic quality to speak of, except vacation pay is issued with haste.

Advice to Senior Management-establish deadlines that make business sense.
-factor in all parts of the picture to understand the current state of operation
-there is a difference between business and politics
-listen to your President
-hire business oriented managers, not friends
Keep up the Good work!

Great people

Toronto, ON

I have been working at Party City full-time

ProsStrong leadership team. Good people.

ConsGets very busy at Halloween.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to keep the Canadian HO team.

I enjoyed the job for the most part

Cashier (Former Employee)
Cambridge, ON

I worked at Party City full-time for less than a year

ProsFun, exciting job, most of the employees were nice, good hours, loved helping the customers

ConsThe manager wasnt a very good manager... Never got trained and was expected to know what i was doing...

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to hire a new manager who respects her employees and actually tells them what they need to fix before its to late....

Nice friendly co-workers and supervisors, even in the customer chaos the Management was always solid and willing to help

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

ProsVery nice people, helpful, willing to provide advice, as well as good natured.

ConsYou will work hard and the pay is...well, minimum wage.

Good job, bad career.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Simi Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is above minimum and the customers you get coming through are primarily women looking to shop for parties, making sure that almost everybody who walks in there is in a good mood to begin with. The management at my store are all awesome and incredibly flexible with availability, hours, and getting days off.

ConsWorst. Music. Ever. It's all covers done by horrible imitators of the original songs. The only other complaint is that usually Party City hires outside of the company for management positions and doesn't usually hire up from within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within. We know so much more about the ebb and flow and inner workings of the stores that I feel we are much better equipped with the knowledge to address issues that arise compared to those who are just coming into the company with no prior experience of working in a Party City store.

Fun environment to work in.

Team Lead I (Current Employee)
Coral Springs, FL (US)

I have been working at Party City for more than 3 years

ProsVery relaxed job, easy to get your foot in the door. They mostly only hire during Halloween for temporary and then keep a handful of people that showed potential.

ConsLow pay. Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies. Last year my raise was .05 cents the year before that it was .11 cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly store managers get salary. So if youre a Assistant Manager youll be paid hourly working 55 hours a week.

good first job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Centennial, CO (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than a year

Proseasy, learned alot, flexible, easy-going, fun atmosphere. My managers were really fun and would let us decide which task we wanted to do for the day (Register or floor).

ConsI hated saying the same script everyday to check people out. There were angry moms mad over balloon orders in which they picked out the color of the balloons. Minimum wage pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow there to be promotions for your workers. Encourage employees to stay.

Not a bad seasonal job

I have been working at Party City

Pros- Interacting with customers
- Fun, young group of co-workers
- Always on your feet
- Got to do a bunch of different things (stocking shelves, stock room, costume wall)

Cons- Communication with management was limited
- Was difficult to get my work schedule as I was never put on the calendar (had to call in multiple times just to get in touch with a manager)
- Job only lasted a few weeks

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Party City reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Party City CEO Jerry Rittenberg. All 254 reviews are posted anonymously by Party City employees.