Papa John's

Excellent job

Cashier (Former Employee)
Spring, TX (US)

I worked at Papa John's part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work while still attending school.

ConsSometimes hours can be long and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better compensation for the employees that go the extra mile.

Job has it's pros and cons.

In-store Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at Papa John's part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and fun to work at. Most of the people that work here are great and like to have fun while they work.

ConsThe pay starts at around minimum wage and managers and shift leaders do not make much more than that. Though the people here like working, I have often seen a joke taken too far on an employee or costumer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a close eye on your employees. I've met people who are not always able to handle the tasks at hand and struggle during the busier work days.

Very professional, exceptional customer service.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Magnolia, TX (US)

I worked at Papa John's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTreated wel, and with respect

ConsVery long work hours when started as Assistant Manager.

Enjoyable, but no room for growth in the direction I wanted

Delivery Driver (Former Employee)
Sugar Land, TX (US)

I worked at Papa John's part-time for less than a year

ProsFree pizza. Laid back co-workers, Made okay money. Close to home. Easy job overall. Decent second job.

ConsPay goes down when you are on delivery. Tips average 2 dollars. Five mile delivery radius, and only 85 cent per delivery. No room for advancement as a driver.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your drivers more, they work hard.

Low stress job

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)
Tomball, TX (US)

I have been working at Papa John's part-time for less than a year

ProsLow stress job
Work days are flexible
Friendly work environment

ConsHourly wage is reduced when out for a delivery
Little compensation for fuel or vehicle maintenance
Stop and go traffic is hard on your vehicle
Tips on credit card is taxed
Outdated computer system
Would charge employees for fountain drinks
Manager would throw out pizza instead of giving it to the crew for free
Deliveries in shady neighborhoods
Turnover rate is high

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your drivers more instead of relying on tips to cover our expenses.

Fun, relax, easy job. Low ceiling.

Delivery Driver (Former Employee)
South Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Papa John's part-time for more than a year

ProsMost managers will let you eat the delicious pizza for free, hours aren't too late, closing manager and driver are out the door by 12:30.

ConsNot enough money for gas and wages are low. They paid me 7.50 when I was in the store and 4.75 when out on delivery (you clock in and out). Spend about 70% of time on the road so it's a rip off. Used to be a flat $6.00 wage which was better

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the drivers eat free pizza, they get hungry and will generally have more energy and be more willing to do basic jobs around the store

Fun part-time experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Papa John's

ProsBest reasons to work is that you get to meet a lot of people and you are not tied down to a desk all day long

ConsSome of the downsides include people occupying store management positions may not have proper training, knowledge and/or experience, therefore they make bad decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for store management positions where managers can learn some basic principles in managing a small business unit

pay is bad compared to other pizza places and the deliver areas are very large

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)

I have been working at Papa John's

Prospeople and management are great and freindly

Consthey pay you 7.25 while in the store and only 4.55 when out on delivery- as I see it they are getting away with not paying minimum wage-- and with large delivery areas - you might driverround trip 10 miles or more -- and half the time no tip - or small one- thinking this is not worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementpay should be 7.25 in or out of the store- we are putting our lives and cars on the line each time we leave the store.

Alot to work on..

In Store (Current Employee)
Conroe, TX (US)

I have been working at Papa John's

ProsEasy to learn, if people are willing to learn. It's not rocket science to make a pretty pizza, but i enjoy every minute im in the store.

ConsNot enough hours, I know hours are based on sales volume, But still not enough hours to survive. Too much bickering happens behind peoples backs. If somebody has a problem with what is going on, present the problem up front.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-train drivers to answer phones, know how to work the computer, it never hurts to have a full screen, rather than lines on hold, Papa John's makes its money with a phone call, and if somebody doesnt know how to, or will just not answer the phone because they dont like talking to people, than they are in the wrong business, remember the customer is always right, even if they are dead wrong. Make Pretty Pizza's, get that instilled in everybody's mind, remember its not rocket science to make a pretty pizza....

A clean and friendly place to work.

Shift Manager (Former Employee)
League City, TX (US)

I worked at Papa John's

ProsIt has a better atmosphere and environment than all other business in the industry. Management are usually very cool to their employees and have a good down-to-earth attitude as opposed to other similar business where managers seem to dislike what they're doing. Also, they always come up with ways to improve employee productivity.

ConsIt is my impression that sales aren't as high as for other similar businesses so it may be more difficult to put in more hours. Also, usually the delivery is a bit slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should not hire someone just because they know them. Also, an on-site manager or responsible person to file complaints or for more important on site emergencies should be present. Otherwise complaints have to be directed to a district manager or Papa John's Corporate.

Worked for Papa John's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Papa John's reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Papa John's CEO John H. Schnatter. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Papa John's employees.