Panera Bread

3.1
1,474 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Panera Cafe - Downtown Toronto, ON
    (Hourly Associate)

Former Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. I worked within a team with similar age range.
    2. Discounted Food.
    3. Flexible with availability

Cons

1. TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT TEAM! they were very inconsistent with their policy and communication with staff. The managers were very inappropriate MOST of the time. They were ALL lazy as well.
    2. A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage.

Needs to be changed completely

Needs Complete Management Overhaul

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

- Fellow associates are fun to work with
    - Em. discount on food

Cons

1. Management is completely unprofessional (with the exception of one); yelling at employees on the floor, belitting employees, discussing private manners in front of associates, not giving employees the tools to perform their job, managers consistently on personal phone calls during closes or even while open, managers leave the cafe to chat with friends while there is a line of associate needs assistance... the list can go on and on

Managers put blame directly into associates. GM is the most unprofessional of all management. Consistently threatening to fire employees in an attempt to make them work harder.

2. Expectations are way out of proportion to salary; employees are pushed to the limits with task load and expectations, especially trainers. Rushed and expected to do a perfect job.

3. Trainers not receiving pay raise; trainers are at their breaking point with expectafions. Management has not applied to raise salary of some trainers, despite having been training new associates for months. Also overscheduled.

4. Customers treat employees like slaves; common in food service... But at Panera, customers think they can treat employees badly because they pay a higher price for food - ask for completely new food items because they didn't "like" the one they ordered, scattering food mess across the restaurant, taking 15 minutes at the cash register, etc.

5. New associates are incapable; newer associates are not receiving adequate training due to over-stretched, underpaid trainers. Slows down the team and frustrates other employees

6. Refusing to let employees book off exam days; completely inconsiderate.

Cafe rating are dramatically sinking with the morale of employees.

Wow. Fix everything.

Overall good work environment

Current Employee - Associate in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Associate in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers and managers. The environment is always nice and if you work on cash you get to hear how much the customers love the food and it kinda brightens up your day.

Cons

Alittle mis-communication with head office sometimes (scheduling)

They really don't care enough about their employees.

Former Employee - Hourly Associate
    Former Employee - Hourly Associate

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Better than minimum wage, 50% off of food, usually friendly coworkers, decent clientele

Cons

you get sick of their overpriced/unhealthy food pretty quick, you can't call in sick you have to find someone to take your shift or else you're screwed, if it's busy and you're on cash or making the food good luck going to the washroom some managers will tell you to hold it you might as well pee yourself, they tell you they're going to promote you but they tend to drag it out as long as possible, management can sometimes play favourites, terrible training process, you don't get any benefits until you've been working there for a year straight

Your turnover rate is high for a reason.

It's been great, its not just staff there, it's a family. :)

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

Welcoming environment
    Growing oppurtunities since we're expanding in Canada
    Food is great
    Most managers have a great attitude

Cons

A bit disorganized when it comes to the opening of new stores

Overnight Baker, Great if You Are Looking to Work the Graveyard Shift

Former Employee - Overnight Baker in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Overnight Baker in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall, I had a great experience as an overnight baker at Panera. Both my bosses were awesome to work with and even though work was tough, it was pretty standard once I was done with training. I would still be working if I did not have to quit due to my commitment to finishing college. Other pros were:

-Given plenty of freedom to work at your own pace as you are usually working alone.
    -Free credit for food when done for the day.
    -Better than average pay, decent benefits and some raises.
    -40 hours a week
    -Almost all of the other bakers were excellent at their jobs and fun to be around.
    -Although both of my bosses were quite tough, they were very appreciative and supportive of the good work I did.
    -Both my bosses were always willing to send me help if I needed it (for a $2000+ bake, catering, etc.).
    -Both my bosses would deal with any issues that GMs and store managers would have with either me or my bakes (believe me, they would complain about everything).
    -6 weeks of training which is more than enough to learns the ropes of panera baking which does not require any prior food experience.
    -Although I went to a bunch of different stores for training, I settled into one store when I was done with training and stayed there for the remainder of my time at panera.

Cons

-There is no set time for breaks. The only time I was able to take one was if I hurried through my bake to have about 15 minutes to take one before I started clean up.
    -This job is very mentally and physically demanding even once you get the hang of it.
    -Solo baking is very tough and you won't get many hours during the slower times of year (April through September) if you can't solo bake.
    -You need precise time management for this job. One wrong thing will ruin an entire night and have you hustling to get the bake done.
    -Store and Baking management are run by two different systems which leads to quite a bit of problems.
    -No reimbursement for gas or tolls if you have to go to another store.
    -Detail cleaning is stressed but it is hard to get done when solo baking.

Get baking management and the store GMs on the same page. It only makes things so much harder on my bosses who already had a ton to deal with. Bakers NEED breaks even if it would mean starting 30 minutes earlier to take one. There is no rationale for why travel is not reimbursed other than being a cheap company. Gas may be cheaper now but it certainly wasn't when I was working. All these things need to be corrected ASAP.

worked on and off with this company for 3 years, its a love hate relationship

Former Employee - Catering Supervisor/Employee Trainor in Raritan, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Catering Supervisor/Employee Trainor in Raritan, NJ (US)

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

flexability, room for growth, easy to transfer

Cons

the pay is not very pleasing to the amount of work expected of you

maybe higher the shift supervisors pay rate they are expected to do way too much for 10/hr and no option of yearly salary

Working for Panera Bread

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Matthews, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Matthews, NC (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great company with great values. I love that every bakery donates its unused breads and pastures to charities and homeless shelters. They have good benefits and good pay.

Cons

I wish you could move up in this company a little faster I've worked here almost two years and am still not a trainer even though i was told when i started that six months in I would start the training to become a trainer and well the managers don't seem to keep on top of things like that which is a little sad.

When you say you will have someone because a trainer follow through with it. Stop hiring new people when your aren't giving a lot of hours to the people who currently work here.

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, co-workers are fun and easy to get along with, flexible hours

Cons

As part-time you're usually closing, argumentative people

Pay closer attention to scheduling!

Experience was filled with highs and lowed, fellow employees helped make the difference.

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

- Chill and typically young employees
    - Discount on food
    - Relaxed workplace

Cons

- Difficult to move up and rather time consuming
    - Annoying customers
    - Can get really stressful

- Loosen up and try not to be hypocritical.