Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Values employees, overall a good place to work

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsCompany culture is friendly, respectful with safety at the top of the company values. Learning and work life balance is encouraged and supported. The company is generous to the community and is considered a leader in environmental initiatives.

ConsToo many processes, management layers and politics. Due to the regulated nature of the utility industry, the company is compliance driven which inhibits innovation. Creative talent and technology frontrunners will find this company running at a "slow and sure" pace. Project or products take a very long time to get approved because the company is highly scrutinized by the public.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp new hires navigate through the politics and gain access to tribal knowledge so they can succeed in their jobs and help the company achieve its goals.

Director's Assistant

Director's Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWhat I like the most working for PG&E are their benefit programs, pension plans, tuition reimbursement program, and as well provide a child center (using lottery system) for the employees. Most of the employees are very family oriented and friendly, they don't hesitate to tranfer knowledge. They have 24/7 IT support. They concern with your healty and safety at work.

ConsThey needs do more work in their Talent Connect. Seems like the process is very slow.

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

IT Individual Contributor (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsLast year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

ConsContinuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lot of opportunities! Great benefits!! Right time to join the company

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsOpportunities in many functional areas including rotational opportunities. Opportunities to work on many emerging areas such as Solar Power, SmartGrid, Environmental Protection (GHG/cap and trade) just to name a few. New leaderships attracting industry leaders. Great people to work with.

ConsReactive rather than pro-active because of the current regulatory environment. Negative media coverage can be demoralizing.

A pretty typical experience of working for a large company.

Senior Paralegal (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsBenefits, relatively low stress level.

ConsBureaucracy, reactionary rather than proactive management style.

Company needs a new strategy for middle management

ProsThe benefits are pretty good, and the pay for management is average. If you didn't go to college, this is a great place to make good money, since unionized field workers often make much more than their non-union supervisors. People are generally nice and want to get along. Lots of training opportunities, volunteer opportunities and education reimbursement. Upper management is competent.

ConsDon't expect to innovate here. Not much promotion from within. Highly political and bureaucratic management environment. Very hierarchical, and management expects automatic respect and deference just because of their titles, rather than earning respect through actions and leadership qualities. Mid-level management is especially poor and typically not qualified or trained for leadership. The rare, natural leaders are quickly promoted into upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend significant time identifying talent within your lower "management" ranks and promoting them into middle management positions. Look for well educated, intelligent individuals with a good mixture of technical expertise and leadership experience and/or potential, and give them challenging leadership roles.

Good Stable Job, yet so many layers

ProsPG&E for the most part is a very stable place to work. Good pay and flexible. Most employees take a lot of pride in their work and the company. Benefits are very good and lots of the people are great.

ConsDifficult to have an impact if not in a leadership role. Often hard to get things accomplished due to so many decision-making layers.

This is an Accenture shop

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsClose to home so nice commute.

ConsToo many people needed to make a decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of useless time consuming processes.

Good people. Mediocre management. Constant shift in direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of great people committed to their jobs, customers and company. Great place for learning about energy and utilities. Good training opportunities.

ConsManagement often more focused on pleasing the level above them, rather than the people reporting to them

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and push back (gracefully) on senior management to protect your teams

A company with multiple personalities and associated opportunities and challenges

ProsGreat pay and benefits, support for volunteering

ConsDysfunctional because of several recent organizational changes as the company tries to reinvent itself in a hostile political environment. The company has significantly increased its middle and upper management bureaucratic bench-strength over the past 4 years without much improvement in profit or performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish standards for directors, managers and supervisors to collectively be more hands-on in their duties and should have better understanding of their team's activities. Hold them responsible and accountable for their performance and encourage them to empower their employees.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!