Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 19 September, 2014
Updated 19 September, 2014
3.4

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

There was good and bad but I really struggled with not being paid as much as everyone else

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Granted I worked in Operations and as a Contractor for this company and the flexibility of my schedule was great. And when I moved to Program Management, my work life balance got even better. As long as you get your work done, that is the main focus. If you need to leave early or work from home, you just need to let your manager know. Granted this is dependent on your manager but I was lucky enough to work for people who allowed for this flexibility. As a program manager, I was really able to own my program and make the decisions on how to make it run effectively. Raises and bonuses come every year for the time that I worked here.

Cons

Although, most people say the pay is great, I did not experience this. I came in severely underpaid and never got to where I should have been even with several raises. Management did not work to ensure I was paid fairly and I knew everyone else was being paid more than me.

Technology is so behind. It hinders getting things accomplished on a daily basis.

Career Paths aren't clear and it is hard to move up here unless you are friends with the right people. It is not how much work you do or how smart you are, it's all about who you know. Granted it is probably like that in corporate america period.

Invest in your people more and make sure you have the right people doing the right jobs. Please please invest in technology to make the business run better and more efficiently.

Ok

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  San Ramon, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

very good health coverage and pension

Cons

low growth and slow promotion

give good promotions

Good place to work

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great people to work with and it's at a great location

Cons

big company, hard to move positions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good learning experience.

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work and opportunities to expand ones expertise.

Cons

Middle Management (Director/Senior Director) do not share information openly. Seems political. Senior manager level with 20+ years of service seem to act very resistant to outside hires.

Good times and bad times

Former Employee - Analyst  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of places you can go in the company, both regionally and occupationally.

Cons

Dinosaur company. Very slow moving and behind-the-times. CPUC & IBEW limits can also make things difficult.

Start practicing what you preach. And start treating your lower-middle managers/supervisors as well as you do bargaining unit employees. And stop creating so many high up positions that layers of bureaucracy. (Sr director, director, Sr manager, manager, Jr manager...etc)

Experience has been okay- company does well and their is longevity.

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great company culture- good benefits.

Cons

Management is VERY OLD SCHOOL. It takes a LOT of effort to get promoted in IT. Does not work the same in other departments. The leadership team in IT have a very negative approach on change management and have poor organizational leadership skills. They protect each other so don't get on leaderships bad side!

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Former Employee - EHS Professional  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - EHS Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, generous resources for providing gear and equipment, motivated co-workers, community involvement and an established, respected company.

Cons

Huge bureaucracy, EHS group is not coordinated and often works at cross purposes. Stove-piping and lack of support for new voices and careerism characterizes much of upper management.

Take a look at the overall EHS organization and consolidate it. Hire some outside professionals and actually listen to their advice. deal with the issue of competition between Gas and Electric EHS organizations.

Probably a good place to be at if you are approaching retirement

Current Employee - Expert Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Expert Business Analyst in San Francisco, NM (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company that's relatively immune to the economy cycles so job safety is there. Generally nice people. Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in. Company is huge on safety and does a lot for the environment.

Cons

Extremely political!!! More so that any other place I've seen or heard of. It's mostly not what you know but who you know. Many people in high level positions who are not suited for those jobs but they got there through knowing someone. Upward mobility is limited. Very difficult to change processes due the regulatory nature of the business as well as people who are resistant to change.

Communicate more openly; have less meetings to talk about things that never end up getting done for one reason or another.

Reactive, political org with too many chiefs and too few indians

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people

Cons

decisions come slowly. they don't know what to do with the talent they hire, internally focused mostly on themselves with supervisors and managers fighting to move one step up, a lonely environment to work in as there is really no reason for teams other than to have people under supervisors, you will walk away having learned little while watching your skills degrade, lack of tools and processes to do your job so it takes a long time to get easy things done, spreadsheet and numbers focused as if customers and employees are an afterthought, you will get blamed for any error even if you found something systemic and are trying to fix the issue, silo mentality, reliant on too many contractors who are treated as second class citizens

listen and support your people, get out of your offices, and talk informally to those doing the work to learn what is going on in the organization, enable your talent, find the funding for better tools, stop the blame game

Not bad, but the cons are frustrating

Current Employee - Applications Programmer  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits for retirement, medical is pretty good too.

Cons

Work-Life balance although not pushed, is hard to control. In some departments in IS it is hard to excel in your career as you are asked constantly to write out and prove your worth for those advancements. This makes management very inpersonal, and as in other reviews, there are too many layers to management.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!