Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 21 August, 2014
Updated 21 August, 2014

3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Moving in a good direction, but is still trying to overcome bureaucratic problems

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There is some real talent at the company. Recruiting has done a great job of finding more innovative thinkers, and the organization could be on a great trajectory as a result.

Cons

Bureaucracy - very old school set-up, with closed door offices (a laugh in a progressive, start-up heaven such as SF). You risk being silo-ed, and the lack of coordination and information sharing between units may be difficult to overcome.

Keep investing in employee safety and in your future (employees that will want to stay and give back).

Great work group teams!

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of work and if you show interest management will generously allow employees to expand their skills within the group by offering involvement in a variety of tasks and projects. Teamwork is abundant as is also a positive environment. Executive management communicates with employees often and takes an active role in understanding things from an employee level.

Cons

Backwards hiring and promotion process in some areas. While it seems like much of the rest of the world is getting on board with hiring the person and training the skills, PG&E is a test based hiring and promotion process in many departments. The tests aren't impossible but unnecessary because if the person is already doing the job well then it would seem that a test would be a waste of valuable resources that could be better spent in conducting a better interview and/or training.

Who am I to give advice to management?

Senior Business Analyst in Customer Care

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company provides a necessary and important service for society. People are generally smart and even-keeled.

Cons

Strange mix of profit motive and regulated responsibility to the public interest. Can constrain business strategy and make strategy selection criteria difficult to prioritize.

In CES, our administrative staff is horribly overworked. The admin to staff ratio is far too low which means I spend time doing low-value activities that are way below my pay grade.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Benefits

Former Employee - Various  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Various in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and good people

Cons

Moves slow and has to move faster

Learn from the outside

Great Contract Opportunity

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good People
    Great Location
    Nice work environment

Cons

Lengthy review process
    Shared conference room space with other contractors

Sr Systems Analyst

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

pay, benefits, diversity, known utility brand

Cons

IS leadership is dictatorship, employees walking on egg-shells and moral is not just down, but totally non-existent

Probably a good place to be at if you are approaching retirement

Current Employee - Expert Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Expert Business Analyst in San Francisco, NM (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company that's relatively immune to the economy cycles so job safety is there. Generally nice people. Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in. Company is huge on safety and does a lot for the environment.

Cons

Extremely political!!! More so that any other place I've seen or heard of. It's mostly not what you know but who you know. Many people in high level positions who are not suited for those jobs but they got there through knowing someone. Upward mobility is limited. Very difficult to change processes due the regulatory nature of the business as well as people who are resistant to change.

Communicate more openly; have less meetings to talk about things that never end up getting done for one reason or another.

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor  in  San Ramon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Individual Contributor in San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Last year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

Cons

Continuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

My group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

Reactive, political org with too many chiefs and too few indians

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people

Cons

decisions come slowly. they don't know what to do with the talent they hire, internally focused mostly on themselves with supervisors and managers fighting to move one step up, a lonely environment to work in as there is really no reason for teams other than to have people under supervisors, you will walk away having learned little while watching your skills degrade, lack of tools and processes to do your job so it takes a long time to get easy things done, spreadsheet and numbers focused as if customers and employees are an afterthought, you will get blamed for any error even if you found something systemic and are trying to fix the issue, silo mentality, reliant on too many contractors who are treated as second class citizens

listen and support your people, get out of your offices, and talk informally to those doing the work to learn what is going on in the organization, enable your talent, find the funding for better tools, stop the blame game

Not bad, but the cons are frustrating

Current Employee - Applications Programmer  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits for retirement, medical is pretty good too.

Cons

Work-Life balance although not pushed, is hard to control. In some departments in IS it is hard to excel in your career as you are asked constantly to write out and prove your worth for those advancements. This makes management very inpersonal, and as in other reviews, there are too many layers to management.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!