Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 20 November, 2014
Updated 20 November, 2014
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 46 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people who love their Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

PG&E offers the best pay hands down. The ambience at te company is really great and very team oriented. I've never felt more valued as an employee

Cons

there are some strange procedures on how one can move throughout the company.

I think it should be easier for an employee who is hired as a hiring Hall to move into a full time permanent position. Many times HH employees who are only just there for a little over a year and when they are dismissed the department they were apart of is left with a gap in resources that is sometimes not easily filled.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Senior Applications Processor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Processor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, time off policies, work life balance, lots of employee discounts

Cons

personal growth, career advancement, leadership

Beware of poor management

Current Employee - H/R Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - H/R Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros - you can take advantage of training if you can get away from work. They have some tuition reimbursement, but only if the degree benefits PG&E

Cons

I worked in H/R. It was the worst working experience of my 30 year career. The management is fear-based and the Director isolates and manages up, so the uppers probably have non idea of what is happening. There is a lot of pressure to be in the top group to get a bonus, even if it involves taking down your co-workers. The managers are not very skilled, as they came up the ranks without any mentorship or leadership training. Last, I saw a lot of people "re-organized" out. This included the entire EEO investigation team. Manager-level electrical employees and others who just did not fit with a difficult Director in Electric Operations. Don't move your family to SF to take a management job. I left after a few years - worst experience - ever.

You need outside management professionals and leadership courses that are proven and not built from within. There need to be some skip-level meetings and when no one will speak, that is a clue. You need to be more involved and less top-down dictatorship. Get rid of the safety discipline and metrics for the entire company. It doesn't work.

Changing company for the better

Current Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most people really like working here and are excited to come to work and take a lot of pride in the company. I have never felt more supported and included as an intern and everyone really wanted me to succeed and meet new people within the company. They are looking to hire and bring in new people, lots of job and promotion prospects.

Cons

Still somewhat of an "old man" company but that is changing. It is more formal than many other companies in the bay area but it is also in a very different industry.

If you want to attract the best and brightest small steps like continuing to improve the coffee shop (HUGE improvement this summer but needs more tables and feel less cold), maybe adding an outdoor areas and some updates. The building and office spaces still feel very 1970's and for new employees entering the workforce atmosphere and enjoying the space you work in is important.

The MBAs are paralyzing the company

Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, pension, good location, enthusiastic coworkers.

Cons

A whole group of people have little actual business understanding. They only know how to compare numbers and ask for variance explanations. The budget process is ridiculous. Strategic Business Management doesn't live in the real world. They need to go on rotation and understand how things really work. More and more meetings, more conference calls and getting less and less work done. Upper management screws ups and the employees end up paying the price trying to make people trust us and want to do business with us. No one can make a decision anymore. Layer upon layer of bureaucracy - manager sign off, director sign off, VP sign off, executive VP sign off ... Serious lack of trust in decision making. Too many people with MBA's run the company.

Does anyone do real work anymore? Less process, fewer sign offs. Let people use their minds and do their jobs. You don't realize how much time is spent reporting, on conference calls, checking and getting sign offs. Everyone is trying to add value. We could cut the workforce by 10% if someone looked closely at all the redundant non productive work.

P&E

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Davis, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Davis, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, although they no longer have a traditional pension

Cons

Management. Too many chiefs not enough indians to really do the job. They rather have a great powerpoint on how to do something rather than doing

Hire more workers and less directors and VP's

Great company to work for. Was a contractor for three months.

Former Employee - Oracle Business Intelligence Developer in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Oracle Business Intelligence Developer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was a contract for three months. Nice and friendly place to work

Cons

Company still structuring the OBIEE implementation

Company offers great training

Stable, supportive, good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great sense of community here. You are able to move around to different departments fairly freely and gain access to management easily. I feel like management really cares about the success of the company and its employees. Great work life balance too!

Cons

Parental leave policy needs some work. Just added the Wellness Center but could offer more employee benefits. Frustrating to see jobs posted that are already earmarked for others.

Keep doing what you're doing.

stable

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

stable and ok pay, work life balance is good

Cons

no technology and slow paced

Human Resources Professional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They truly support career development and promote from within. They also provide ample funding for education. In addition, they provide excellent benefits.

Cons

HR was very disorganized. They are very good at identifying that they need to change, however, they are not to identify steps to bring about the change. Also, the older workforce is resistant to change. I also felt that management needed leadership development.

Identify actionable steps to bring about change and see them through. Also, reach out to those in the lower rankings. Leadership has no idea regarding director performance.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos