Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014
Updated 28 August, 2014

3.4

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Working as a senior business analyst provides multiple opportunities for challenging work

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, People, atmosphere, location, quality

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities and no training

There are too many people making too much money and are not doing enough work

If you are motivated and want to be apart of positive change this is not the place to work.

Current Employee - Portfolio Operations  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Portfolio Operations in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

Values are great, the concept is a great idea.

Cons

Their directors don't support the values and if you speak up you will be written up. If you ask for support you are threatened with loosing your job. I think they placed some of their directors in a role they are not ready for.

Provide training to your directors if you really mean the values you talk about. You still have many employees that are very unhappy and being treated really bad.

The Good and Bad

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  West Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric part-time for less than a year

Pros

Once you pass a 9 month probation you are golden on the call center
    Benefits are cheap but they have high deductibles
    Easy job

Cons

Awful shift bids
    As a new employee information is only given if you know the questions to ask or you have a friend who can tell you
    Mid Managers build leadership teams based on who they know vs the best candidate

Find a balance between promotions based on the bidding seniority process and the best candidates and their experience

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There was good and bad but I really struggled with not being paid as much as everyone else

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Granted I worked in Operations and as a Contractor for this company and the flexibility of my schedule was great. And when I moved to Program Management, my work life balance got even better. As long as you get your work done, that is the main focus. If you need to leave early or work from home, you just need to let your manager know. Granted this is dependent on your manager but I was lucky enough to work for people who allowed for this flexibility. As a program manager, I was really able to own my program and make the decisions on how to make it run effectively. Raises and bonuses come every year for the time that I worked here.

Cons

Although, most people say the pay is great, I did not experience this. I came in severely underpaid and never got to where I should have been even with several raises. Management did not work to ensure I was paid fairly and I knew everyone else was being paid more than me.

Technology is so behind. It hinders getting things accomplished on a daily basis.

Career Paths aren't clear and it is hard to move up here unless you are friends with the right people. It is not how much work you do or how smart you are, it's all about who you know. Granted it is probably like that in corporate america period.

Invest in your people more and make sure you have the right people doing the right jobs. Please please invest in technology to make the business run better and more efficiently.

Ok

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  San Ramon, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

very good health coverage and pension

Cons

low growth and slow promotion

give good promotions

Good place to work

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great people to work with and it's at a great location

Cons

big company, hard to move positions

Good learning experience.

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work and opportunities to expand ones expertise.

Cons

Middle Management (Director/Senior Director) do not share information openly. Seems political. Senior manager level with 20+ years of service seem to act very resistant to outside hires.

Good times and bad times

Former Employee - Analyst  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of places you can go in the company, both regionally and occupationally.

Cons

Dinosaur company. Very slow moving and behind-the-times. CPUC & IBEW limits can also make things difficult.

Start practicing what you preach. And start treating your lower-middle managers/supervisors as well as you do bargaining unit employees. And stop creating so many high up positions that layers of bureaucracy. (Sr director, director, Sr manager, manager, Jr manager...etc)

Experience has been okay- company does well and their is longevity.

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great company culture- good benefits.

Cons

Management is VERY OLD SCHOOL. It takes a LOT of effort to get promoted in IT. Does not work the same in other departments. The leadership team in IT have a very negative approach on change management and have poor organizational leadership skills. They protect each other so don't get on leaderships bad side!

Great people, opportunities within the company

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

work-life balance, great benefit, training, dedicated people, industry leader

Cons

heavily regulated, slow to make decision

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!