Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to spend a career!

Electrical Operations (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood compensation, many opportunities, good retirement, always improving safety practices and training.

ConsSome conflicts between expected output/volume of work vs. following proper procedures. Frequent movement of management players makes it hard to get used to a routine or having someone in a leadership position who knows what they are supposed to be doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire a more field experience from Supervisors/Managers. Hold them in a position long enough so they can actually get past the learning curve then rate them based on their performance at that time to determine if they are a value to the company instead of the constant movement that allows less than capable managers to slip through the cracks.

Great place to work as an engineer or field service technician.

IT Professional (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe operational groups (Electric, Gas, Energy supply) are exceptional areas of the company with dedicated employees capable of world class achievements.

ConsThe General Office support groups (Human Resources, Information Technology, etc.) face challenges in their current structures and capability to effectively support the operational lines of business. IT in particular is experiencing high management and employee turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of GO does not align to the stated core values of the company. This is in distinct contrast to the operational units that make up the utility.

This company does care about their employees.

Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) Eureka, CA (US)

ProsPay, benefits, holiday time, all are well above par. Also, they love lateral movement and promoting from within.

ConsIf there is an issue in a department of one of their locations, their response time leaves much to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk about gender equality, really shatter that glass ceiling at every level and in every department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved working here

Instructional Designer (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsIn my role, there was lots of flexibility, autonomy, as well as challenging projects. I was able to be completely a self-starter and had a great manager with a forward-thinking management style.

ConsThe offices and business are very spread out and therefore there is some travel involved, which I did not consider too much of a 'con,' but it is worth mentioning.

Procurement Dept. review

Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsIf you play the politics right it's a good secure job.

ConsDept. was not really open to change from a contractor. They had a couple of low level people calling the shots of how things were to be done and their thought process was wrong. Dept. mgmt did not really want to change.

Great benefits

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, flexibility, opportunities, culture, management

ConsNone .. .. .. ..

Working as a senior business analyst provides multiple opportunities for challenging work

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsBenefits, People, atmosphere, location, quality

ConsLimited advancement opportunities and no training

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many people making too much money and are not doing enough work

materials handlers

Proswork and life is awesome
    great coworkers
    stable
    good pays and benefit

Consjob bidding
    old equipment
    union dues suck

There was good and bad but I really struggled with not being paid as much as everyone else

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWork/Life Balance. Granted I worked in Operations and as a Contractor for this company and the flexibility of my schedule was great. And when I moved to Program Management, my work life balance got even better. As long as you get your work done, that is the main focus. If you need to leave early or work from home, you just need to let your manager know. Granted this is dependent on your manager but I was lucky enough to work for people who allowed for this flexibility. As a program manager, I was really able to own my program and make the decisions on how to make it run effectively. Raises and bonuses come every year for the time that I worked here.

ConsAlthough, most people say the pay is great, I did not experience this. I came in severely underpaid and never got to where I should have been even with several raises. Management did not work to ensure I was paid fairly and I knew everyone else was being paid more than me.

Technology is so behind. It hinders getting things accomplished on a daily basis.

Career Paths aren't clear and it is hard to move up here unless you are friends with the right people. It is not how much work you do or how smart you are, it's all about who you know. Granted it is probably like that in corporate america period.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people more and make sure you have the right people doing the right jobs. Please please invest in technology to make the business run better and more efficiently.

Ok

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

Prosvery good health coverage and pension

Conslow growth and slow promotion

Advice to Senior Managementgive good promotions

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!