Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in(in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management(in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture(in 10 reviews)

Not bad, but the cons are frustrating

Applications Programmer (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits for retirement, medical is pretty good too.

ConsWork-Life balance although not pushed, is hard to control. In some departments in IS it is hard to excel in your career as you are asked constantly to write out and prove your worth for those advancements. This makes management very inpersonal, and as in other reviews, there are too many layers to management.

Reactive, political org with too many chiefs and too few indians

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people

Consdecisions come slowly. they don't know what to do with the talent they hire, internally focused mostly on themselves with supervisors and managers fighting to move one step up, a lonely environment to work in as there is really no reason for teams other than to have people under supervisors, you will walk away having learned little while watching your skills degrade, lack of tools and processes to do your job so it takes a long time to get easy things done, spreadsheet and numbers focused as if customers and employees are an afterthought, you will get blamed for any error even if you found something systemic and are trying to fix the issue, silo mentality, reliant on too many contractors who are treated as second class citizens

Advice to Senior Managementlisten and support your people, get out of your offices, and talk informally to those doing the work to learn what is going on in the organization, enable your talent, find the funding for better tools, stop the blame game

Senior Business Analyst in Customer Care

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe company provides a necessary and important service for society. People are generally smart and even-keeled.

ConsStrange mix of profit motive and regulated responsibility to the public interest. Can constrain business strategy and make strategy selection criteria difficult to prioritize.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn CES, our administrative staff is horribly overworked. The admin to staff ratio is far too low which means I spend time doing low-value activities that are way below my pay grade.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work group teams!

ProsPlenty of work and if you show interest management will generously allow employees to expand their skills within the group by offering involvement in a variety of tasks and projects. Teamwork is abundant as is also a positive environment. Executive management communicates with employees often and takes an active role in understanding things from an employee level.

ConsBackwards hiring and promotion process in some areas. While it seems like much of the rest of the world is getting on board with hiring the person and training the skills, PG&E is a test based hiring and promotion process in many departments. The tests aren't impossible but unnecessary because if the person is already doing the job well then it would seem that a test would be a waste of valuable resources that could be better spent in conducting a better interview and/or training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWho am I to give advice to management?

Benefits

Various (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits and good people

ConsMoves slow and has to move faster

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from the outside

Great Contract Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood People
    Great Location
    Nice work environment

ConsLengthy review process
    Shared conference room space with other contractors

Good work & great people, but highly political organization

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe people and challenges to tackle are tremendous. You get to work at a scale that's hard to match. There are great groups and organizations. Training, pay and work-life balance are hard to beat.

ConsThere's just a tremendous amount of bureaucracy to make things happen. The organization excels at getting in its own way with continual reorgs and shifting priorities coming down from middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to deliver a great customer experience, invest in our systems and put the right resources in place to deliver exceptional products and services.

Sr Systems Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay, benefits, diversity, known utility brand

ConsIS leadership is dictatorship, employees walking on egg-shells and moral is not just down, but totally non-existent

Great people, Culture needs big time updates

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsSuper smart and friendly people, great growth opportunities, great leadership

ConsThe SF PG&E offices haven't updated the dress code since the 80’s.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate our dress code Its time! Dressy casual (Jeans dressed up) has arrived and works for literally every other successful company that surrounds us in San Francisco. Walking around the SF offices feels entirely old and stuffy! And it impacts the energy. An updated look will not only reenergize people but will attract a younger generation of employees.

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

IT Individual Contributor (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsLast year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

ConsContinuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!