PRA International

PRA International Reviews

Updated Jul 05, 2014

PRA International President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon

Colin Shannon

Pros
  • Very good ongoing training, tries to keep work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Option to work from home a few days a week a plus(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always manage work/life balance well, overworking their best staff members(in 14 reviews)

• There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing(in 13 reviews)

Great Company - some departments better than others

Project Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsMy coworkers were great! The company has great benefits as well and works to take care of employees. Managers were very open.

ConsAs a project analyst there was not much room for growth which led to high turnover from that team. Also, that position specifically was far too broad and all-encompassing to handle the level of turnover, causing analysts to be overworked with unrealistic expectations of how much of a load could be handled.

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure the Project Analyst in a role that you stop losing so many good people. The highers that are made are great, but with no room to move up the best people will constantly be leaving which is already hard to stop with so many other CROs in the area.

Growing Pains

ProsGreat people, benefits, great company as far as what they do.

ConsLack of communication, egos, favorites.

Sad declining company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA (US)

Prosgreat benefits and the individual people are good to work with daily

Conssenior management doesn't know what they are doing, vasr turn over, no valve placed on experience, this company has been run into the ground by ex-PPD staff, no original PRA culture exist which was a good environment to work in.
    It is a shame to see the decline in this company over the years

Advice to Senior ManagementValve your employees and their knowledge and communicate with them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PRA exponentially growing company with good prospects

CRA III (Current Employee) Utrecht (Netherlands)

ProsPRA was and is exponentially growing over last couple of years. This opens up a lot op opportunities for the employees. Hard work is well acknowledged at PRA. Benefits are good. Also the team is well motivated. For people who have enough self discipline and live far enough from the office, there is an opportunity to work home based.

ConsIf you want to lay back and just get your salary every month, don't apply at PRA.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue in being the best in what you do

No career progression - poor line management

Senior Clinical Project Manager (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsSalary and very little else

Conscareer progression was limited only to my desire to leave and then it was amazing how many opportunities were suddenly presented to me, from changes in studies, promotion, salary rise etc. it was simply amazing how easy changes to my working life were as soon as I resigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy line managers who can actually manage career expectations and development professionally, being told by your line manager that the best way to progress to the next level in the PM ladder and also to move on from stagnant project work would be to threaten to resign. I was even informed that it had worked for them twice previously.....I was totally shocked and took the opportunity to simply find another opportunity elsewhere and leave

Systems Driven, Large CRO Environment

Clinical Team Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe exponential growth of the company over the last several years has opened up the organization to a great deal of job opportunities and the potential for career advancement. The management team is generally very supportive and the company places a strong emphasis on using the latest technological systems in the field.

ConsGrowth has meant the sacrifice of a more "family feeling" company and decreased the personal connections between staff members. There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing. Employees are also at the mercy of their functional manager in terms of moving ahead in the company, which can be highly detrimental in situations where there are frequent management changes or the individual is not strong in this role.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the retention of quality employees!!! The policies in place are leading to high turnover and the loss of some of the best resources in the company.

I cannot recommend this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThere are many dedicated and talented staff
    Offices and office amenities are very nice

ConsHigh cultural toxicity
    Lacking vision and communications, transparency
    Poor upper management cohesiveness
    Top performers not recognized - cronyism abounds
    Decisions made without due diligence

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for new blood - need a complete overhaul of CEO and at least 2 levels of management from there.

Friendly atmosphere and great place to start learning about clinical research in depth!

Site Management Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, laid-back management, and a lot of PTO/holidays.

ConsPay is somewhat low since they often hire SMAs with little prior experience in the field.

Supportive management

ProsManagement supports staff most of the time. Work life balance usually respected. Benefits are okay--generally in line with similar companies.

ConsCareer advancement is limited, and usually management level positions are hired externally. Higher level management is almost exclusively external hires. Salary is fairly static after hire with minimal yearly increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Need better communication about what is happening in the company and what other departments and offices do.

Good work/life balance

CRA (Current Employee)

ProsGood salary, benefits, and work/life balance.

ConsPromotions are not forthcoming as promised.

Worked for PRA International? Contribute to the Community!