PRA Health Sciences

Updated 16 December, 2014
3.4

PRA Health Sciences President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon
Colin Shannon

Pros
  • Decent systems, work/life balance is the same as at every CRO (in 22 reviews)

• Option to work from home a few days a week a plus (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always manage work/life balance well, overworking their best staff members (in 16 reviews)

• There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard to stand out, even when you work really hard!

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Really understand the need to have a flexible work schedule; my teams were really great to work with.

Cons

Limited promotion opportunities for project associates - you had to go the CRA route in order to move up and that job isn't for everyone.

More opportunities with different career paths - it would have been nice to have the option to move to Regulatory, Data Management, Safety, etc., but those opportunities were not there in the La Jolla office.

Great co-workers, mid-level management, not so much

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being "down in the trenches" of IT, this was a great place to work. Supportive direct management, and co-workers, a real team atmosphere.

Cons

Director-level managers did nothing to promote a work-life balanced, or team environment. They were disengaged, and seemed uncaring for the staff who'd been hard-working contributors. Just use them up, and toss them out.

In IT, communication from mid-level management was non-existent. Silo'd teams each had their own agenda, and the director did nothing to promote a broader level of cooperation between teams.

PRA - SR CRA experience

Current Employee - Senior CRA in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at PRA as a Sr CRA for one year and it has been a very positive experience. I especially appreciated the the onboard training and the opportunity to learn their systems. Pros are - good FM, online tools, and the spirit of teamwork. I especially appreciate the support provided by in-house staff. I have worked at other CROs and Sponsors, and this is for me, a good fit. Co-workers have had the opportunity to transition from monitoring to project management, so there is evidence of career growth.

Cons

Like all monitoring positions, finding a work/life balance can be a challenge. Project meetings with CRAs could be more useful if representatives from data management were included (at least on occasion).

Please continue to remain transparent.

Flexible, supportive and great training enviroment

Current Employee - Project Director in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Director in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive management structure and provides good career growth utilising IT systems.

Cons

Due to recent company acquisitions employees pay rises have not been in line with expectations.

Aline pay rises with the industry to keep staff.

Challenging - Rewarding

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging work, moving around across departments is not only allowed, it's encouraged. Large international company but has maintained the camaraderie and culture of a smaller firm. You are held accountable, but when you deliver with quality work, you are rewarded. Fellow employees are often there to help and support you.

Cons

Communication could improve - we want to know whats going on whether it's good or bad.

Communicate more often

Great Benefits, Horrible Communication

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Lenexa, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Lenexa, KS (US)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An extremely generous company, upper management is very personable and sincere.

Cons

Could use an upgrade in the technology department. Poor Communication, Better Training, note sensible workload.

Gather and use employee feedback.

Project Associates in PRA

Former Employee - Project Associate in Madrid (Spain)
    Former Employee - Project Associate in Madrid (Spain)

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great international teams, nice training environment due to colleague comradership, average perks.

Cons

Bad line management therefore a lot of miscommunication with the Project Manager due to line managers meddling instead of offering a proper knowledeagble leadership support. Long hours, not enough rewards... very stressful job, the staff is always complaining about everything although this shouldn´t happen with the right general management team. Such team should really channel the overall communication in a more efficient and productive way.

Hire the right line managers, ie people with an adequate open personality to deal with a team, communicative, trained professional with a solid work ethic that will stick his/her neck out for the team and thus will be a role model for each team member to follow the steps in excellence.

Great training enviornment

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great and the information systems are top notch. As a growing company, there is a lot of room for opportunities especially at the entry level. 4 weeks of PTO right off the bat is unheard of.

Cons

Communication between management and CRA's is average. Management of work life balance is so so, but when there is a lot of travel that can be the case

Keep up the good work

Positive environment to work in. Good working environment, good career progression and good management.

Current Employee - Project Director
    Current Employee - Project Director

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working environment is positive and the company is small enough that there is direct access to senior levels of management

Cons

Mixed levels of experience at functional level

Mixed levels of experience at functional level

Descent CRO

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Wilmington, NC (US)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Happy with my salary & benefits. Manageable travel expectations. Good managers. They keep protocols to 1-2 at a time. No SWAT visits, like I've done at other companies, where I had to learn a protocol on the flight to the site! PRA has great training. Great expectations for the managers to ensure training of the staff.

Cons

So many computer systems that "clash"...some require Google Chrome & some require Internet Explorer. I'm not a computer geek for goodness sake. Lots of redundant documenting...example: one project required us to document our phone contact reports in CTMS & another system. SO many systems!

Could we please consolidate some of these computer systems?

PRA Health Sciences Photos