PPL

Be The First To
Add Photos

PPL Chairman, President and CEO William H. Spence

William H. Spence

Stable but no forward vision

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsCoworkers are great, do very well at taking care of people and working through various issues to get the work requirement done. while I cannot speak to the union workers, on the nonunion side the management tends to stay flexible with work schedule.

ConsThe division I work in tends to react to issues rather than thinking about how to mitigate them in the first. IT and Operations have a lot of Red Tape between them, and the sense of urgency is often not there. Workers usually start as temps with no benefits for a year or more. After which the next move is to Specific Professional which is basically an internal temp, with bare basic benefits, medical, but no dental, very little vacation time, and no more over time but you're now expected to work a minimum of 45 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay of your workers, we seem to keep losing people over it and the training of a new person takes months till their productivity really replaces someone. Lets focus on more work from home benefits and if IT cannot get something done in 7 months, lets start looking to replace them rather than making excuses.

Best company to work for in the region

Business Planning Intern (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

Pros(I was in PPL EnergyPlus, their supplier subsidiary)

Fair pay, lively work environment, my supervisors were kind and helpful, very comprehensive kitchen with all sorts of things

ConsThere seemed to not be a lot of opportunity to grow out of your role where I was working, the large corporation way of life can wear on you because it can be bland and monotonous

PPL - Intern

Generation Technical Services Intern (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsExcellent senior management in PPL Generation. Offers employees lots of travel time and exposure to many different facets of the Electric Utilities Industry.

ConsThe tasks I received were not very difficult or time consuming. Most of my time was sent looking for tasks from other people in the group

Advice to Senior ManagementMore interns and recent graduate positions are necessary in the Generation segment of the company due to the number of near retirement age employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good quality company

ProsGreat benefits and compensation, staying power, expertise in the field

Constypical issues which plague all large companies; slow to adopt culture changes and politics

Company Adverse To Disabled Employees

Special Projects Leader (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsExcellent wages and benefits for both management and union employees. Management environment encourages intellectual creativity and advancement. Career advancement opportunities available for individuals who demonstrate a willingness and ability to assume more responsibility.

ConsDisabled adverse environment! Micromanagement style is prevalent within many departments. Culture which promotes job security through fear tactics. Employee annual review process in negatively based. Promotes work life over family life.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen an employee becomes disabled (i.e. paraplegic) they should be given the opportunity to show they can still perform their job and not be automatically placed on long term disability for the rest of their potential career. This is especially applicable to nonphysically demanding management positions. Allow employees who become disabled the opportunity to return to employment. Dont throw them away!

Good company

ProsGood pay and compensation within the industry

ConsUnable to fix problems effectivly

Really good company working toward becoming an excellent company

Market & Regulatory Policy Manager (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsMany career fields within the company, competitive salaries, bonuses, and pretty darn good benefits.

ConsCommunications lacking in many instances, ties to the old command and control environment still linger, hiring process not completely transparent yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore timely communications with employees regarding all aspects of the company would be beneficial. Move a little faster toward embracing the ideas and culture that will be needed to hire and retain the younger generation enetering the workforce now- the baby boomers, while important and have the knowledge base at this time, are on their way out. Hire new people earlier to ensure smoother transitions and greater knowledge transfer.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsFortune 500 company, great ethics, great people. hiring

Consinternship experience depends mostly on your supervisor. Not enough to do is a common compaint

Fair and competetive employee benefits

Contract Administrator (Current Employee)

Proscompetetive salary, health benefits, vacation beneftis, development opportunities

Consjob functions are limited and don't provide for cross function growth.

As an intern, not too much to do or learn

Intern (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsPay, relaxed environment, nice facility,

ConsDidn't learn a whole lot as an intern. Not very up to date on new systems, was not given very much responsibility

Worked for PPL? Contribute to the Community!