PNC Financial Services Group

Updated 18 October, 2014
1,163 Reviews
3.2
1,163 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 103 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 24 reviews)

• upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Very professional. Unique selling proposition. Total wealth management platform.

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Millburn, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Millburn, NJ (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No micromanaging. Very professional. Excellent reputation.

Cons

Must bring in the numbers. Goals are extremely aggressive.

Keep upx he good work

Worst Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Was repeatedly harassed and picked on by Assistant Manager for YEARS. She had issues with every single person she ever worked with, made racist comments, abused her position by coming in late and leaving early due to the fact that she did not have to punch in, would literally look for reasons to fire people, and gossiped about everyone in the branch. She had MULTIPLE issues with HR, yet PNC kept her in a management position. I have ZERO respect for a company that blatantly ignores the well being of its employees and turns a blind eye to harassment. That woman is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If the only common factor with employees issues is the Assistant Manager, perhaps you should turn your investigation to her and look at the obvious. Had I been smarter, I would have documented the years of abuse working under her and would have sued myself.

New hires into finance are not "developed" as promised. College grads can do better elsewhere.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

The work-life balance is great.

Cons

Pay is mediocre, development program was a sham.

Poorly Managed - Small Time Shop

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

Pay Check and that's it

Cons

Pay is poor, no bonus, poor management

Not Worth It

Current Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant in Cleveland, OH (US)

Pros

The training, for someone brand new to banking, was superb

Cons

Once hired, they don't seem to care much about their employees. Lateral movement within the company, prefer to hire from outside the company

Disappointing, recruiters promise unrealistic earnings

Current Employee - Financial Specialist II in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist II in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, 40 hour work week, path to be an FA

Cons

Recruiters will lie to you and tell you you can make $80,000 when only a few branches in the Chicago area can produce that kind of bonus. Only take what was once a large Midamerica branch but trust me they won't be available. Those branches have deep pockets, lots of low hanging cd renewals and loyal customers. You will be scheduled to work until the teller windows close and work most Saturdays. Any challenge you have will be yours to solve because your Financial Specialist Team Leader does not have any power. They just count the widgets/numbers. Your second boss, the branch manager, will be more concerned about getting good banking customer surveys than your desire to do the outbound calling required in a smaller/medium size branch to increase investment revenue. Most branches are short staffed at various times of the year. This is one reason you will do banking 75% of the time. Do not take this position if you don't have banking experience.

Not all branches are created equal so why promise all new hires they will make what only a few branches can deliver.

Decent Company, Low Salary for what is expected of you!

Current Employee - In-Store Financial Sales Consultant in Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - In-Store Financial Sales Consultant in Phila, PA (US)

Pros

Good work life balance and benefits. Tuition Reimbursement is quite generous. Customers are awesome most of the time. Good company for starters.

Cons

Management micro manages and create sales goals that are very difficult to achieve. If you are good at sales and like being micro managed then this may be the job for you. It always starts great for everyone but that clearly dissipates fast.

STOP MICRO MANAGING!

Nice flexibility but zero feedback or leadership. Management was unprofessional.

Former Employee - UI Developer in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - UI Developer in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I liked that I was able to manage myself, work remotely and had considerable flexibility. I learned a lot, even though I had to learn mostly on my own. I was excited to work on the project I was hired to support. I feel my skill set expanded working there.

Cons

Non-existent management. Never received feedback, good or bad. I was given zero notice when my contract ended, and also not given any exit interview or explanation. After 2 years of doing the work of 3 people, I expected more than that. However, like in any large company, your experience is likely to very depending on what team you are a part of. I wouldn't rule out returning in the future.

I know contractors are by definition temporary, but we do deserve a basic level of respect. I was given no heads up that my contract wasn't going to be renewed after working there for 2 years. I saw my boss a total of 4 times the 2 years that I worked there.

Unfortunately, it was not what I thought or hoped it would be.

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Almost everyone I met who worked at any branch seemed to be great. The training is very extensive. My customers were great; I miss them dearly!

Cons

There is no support from upper management. The whole town is quite understaffed and has been for months but no one seems to care this is not good customer service! Duties were dumped on me that I was not trained for and as you can imagine we had problems, yet upper management still provided no support. The core company values are great but I personally did not see those in the 11 months I was there. I called HR and seemingly got no support. They only seem to care about numbers not how well the branch is running. The pay is bad in comparison to other banks I hear it is quite low. They do not give raises. They seem to only want young people working there probably as they can pay them less and mold them easier! They put people in management roles who have no business being in them. My experience was quite bad. What's sad is I was good at the job and fairly well enjoyed it except for the selling. They are really pushing the sells now. There was little organization. When I had money issues it took them days to get back to me. Money issues are a big deal in a bank at least as far as I am concerned. The list goes on...

Live by the company values as they are great! Support your staff they make the company run; it's a symbiotic relationship as in turn then they will then form the relationship you want with the customers. It all runs together if America can ever get back to that we might be in good shape! Put people in management who actually belong there and train them. Managers should be cross trained and able to run every aspect of the branch! If you don't want to be the Wal Mart of the banking world then fix these problems! Symbiotic relationships-look into them!

A Great Proving Ground

Current Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant in Belle Vernon, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant in Belle Vernon, PA (US)

Pros

Great corporate training and opportunities for personal growth. I was given the opportunity to travel across the country to help open a branch. I was also asked to participate in networking events to gain clients, and speak to prospective employees at a college job fair.

Cons

Low base pay, no opportunity for over-time, poor sales incentives. Problems with turnover lead to taking on responsibilities of other employees.

The staffing issues are directly related to pay and incentives to sell. Cut down on upper level management to pay employees what they deserve who are dealing with the customers.

PNC Financial Services Group Photos