PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014
1,083 Reviews

3.2
1,083 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed. Great professionals to work with but tremendous change happening in the company

Current Employee - Software Engineer Senior  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Senior in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people who you work with are amazing and always professional. This is a large company and they want you to learn and grow. There is plenty of opportunity to move up as long as you are willing to move around. They also provide the benefit of working from home if needed.

Cons

The organization is going through a ton of change right now in its culture. So, there is a lot of overwork due to political maneuvering within the middle layers. A ton of new policies are being put in place without a set procedure to fulfill those policies. This causes double or triple the work to complete anything. This could also be due to a culture being put in place that needs a certain level of positions filled which currently are not.

The policies being put in place are well thought out and have a good purpose but middle management is putting not so well thought out procedures in place making "getting things done" almost impossible.

3 small banks trying to be one big bank

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing market, newer to area, most clients have never heard of it yet. A lot of money spent on promotions. Good work life balance.

Cons

Human sigma culture that is preached, goes overboard with employees and not utilized with managers. Still working off a "widget" based model versus a profitability model in the new centers. There is still a large click left over from the National City merger. If you are part of that, you can do no wrong and promotions are abound, leaving mediocre management & a lot fluff positions. Pay scales need to be adjusted to market to attract top talent & retain current. CFO put it best, we are 3 small banks (PNC, National City & RBC) trying to make one large bank. The technology is way behind, still using Lotus Notes email , underwriting is disorganized and spend too much on junk promotions (ice cream give away, grand opening ($25k budget) that should be reinvested into better pay & technology. Spending $100 (on lunches, giveaways etc) to get 1 account is seen as a success.

Adjust pay scales to market, break up NCB clicks and focus on profitability versus widget production. Create accountability past the branch manager. Offer any customer $100 to open quality account vs spending it on snacks to attract customers. Finally, stop postponing Outlook !!!

Ok company.

Former Employee - CSA  in  Ocean City, MD (US)
    Former Employee - CSA in Ocean City, MD (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice environment to work in, co-workersand managers were nice to work with.

Cons

The pay is horrible. You bend over backwards and have a ton of responsibilty and do not get compensated for it. Always short staffed. I moved from part-time teller to full-time teller and did not get pay increase, then I moved from teller to CSA and had to fight to get a 50 cent raise. Have to stay in position for a year before you can apply to another position. Health care is a joke, have to pay out pocket until you reach a certain amount then insurance will cover some but insurance cost comes out of your check every pay period.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good bank, but culture is changing

Current Employee - Financial Specialist  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Pros

The benefits are good, and the people you work with become like family.

Cons

Management makes decisions in s bubble, culture is shifting to a micro management sales model, little flexibility in schedule.

Listen to the people who are on the front lines working with clients. Stop worrying about reporting every number and let your professionals do their job. Stop focusing on ten things at once.

Corporate credit policy or whatever name they made up.

Former Employee - Corporate Credit Policy  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Credit Policy in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Casual dress. Paid holidays. Fat bonuses but, only if your manager liked you.

Cons

No leadership. It's not what you know here...it's who you know and how much are you willing to "brownie" up. I worked here for 11years in 2 different areas of the bank. One area made me think the bank wasn't very stable because they were always cutting back and giving tiny little raises. Then, I got a promotion and was made a banking officer and that's when I saw a very different side of the bank. Not only did I get a $21k increase in my salary, I also received a bonus of $9k in March of that year. (Later on I found out the males in our group received even larger bonuses!!)

Stop micro-managing. Don't play favorites. And the bank would save a lot of money if they would get rid of half of the "management" team. This bank needs more minions and less minion managers.

Teller

Former Employee - Pnc Bank Teller  in  Crawfordsville, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Pnc Bank Teller in Crawfordsville, IN (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to learn a lot of useful information. Incentives are ok IF you get the chance to make them.

Cons

As a part-time teller don't expect any of the perks. The bonuses are a joke compared to the full time position even though you work just as hard. You're expected to find leads to sell new products and this and that, oh but by the way you're just a teller....

Mgmt doesn't consider running the branch as a whole team, rather more like whatever fits for them the best. Teller supervisor is loaded with nothing more than rude and snoody remarks.

Big company, but advancement can be limited depending on your department.

Former Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant  in  Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Financial Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits, decent pay for a younger person. Pay would not be good for someone looking to start/raise a family.

Cons

Office culture was poor as everyone talks behind others' backs. Branch managers seem very unprofessional as far as how they treat their employees.

In the Retail Bank, Regional Managers need to pay closer attention to branch managers and how they run their particular office.

great work, life, balance - at this location

Current Employee - Universal Banker/Fsc  in  Westfield, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Universal Banker/Fsc in Westfield, IN (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great experience and room to advance

Cons

very low pay and was part of a pilot branch - promises made were not kept by company

Pressured to sell, sell, sell!

Former Employee - PNC Licensed Financial Sales Consultant  in  New Haven, IN (US)
    Former Employee - PNC Licensed Financial Sales Consultant in New Haven, IN (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable company, good benefits. Good work/life balance.

Cons

the sales pressure was incredible, I had to fill out a "client profile" on each and every person that came into my office, discussing their "needs" and what and how I could have sold them the product matching that "need". For example, every little old lady who came in to renew her CD was assumed to "need" a fixed annuity and I had to explain why I didn't sell it to them.
    the pay wasn't great and the bonus structure was nearly impossible to meet in a small market.

Listen to the front line employees. If everyone in the branch is telling you that the manager is a creep, he's probably a creep.

Instability in the Region

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The regional manager and SSSM's I worked under are wonderful. My Branch Manager, Teller Supervisor, and most of our partners were what made the job enjoyable.

Cons

Increased sales expectations that were a little beyond realistic for the market our branch is in. They're moving full toward a Wells mentality at a rapid pace. PNC is converting to Universal Branch Banking which will is going to do away with a lot of positions, specifically TS positions. Pay is low compared to other banks and they don't seem very appreciative of their employees. Operations (Branch Support, Underwriting, AML) tend to be rude and condescending on the phone. PNC has also seemed to struggle moving into the Southeast and a lot of the employees sense that instability.

Reward your employees with decent pay and benefits and good incentive/bonus packages. Don't just push for meeting sales goals, focus on providing customers with products and services that will benefit them and their life style. And update your equipment in the branches. Refurbished scanners and software interfere with the branch employees' ability to process the transactions quickly and effectively, especially since branch employees receive CIQ scores where customers rate the branch employees on transaction time.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!