PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros:
  • "The company allows most employees to have good work/life balance"
    in 75 reviews
  • "Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad upper management, lots of interest in screwing the customer to make lots money"
    in 41 reviews
  • "There is no work-life balance or care for the well-being of their employees"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

All in all a fairly good company to work for.

Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
Brecksville, OH (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, great incentive program

ConsManagement places much too much faith in the work coach, human resource employees are out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to do your homework on how some people are able to obtain their goals so much easier than others.

My experience has been up an down. Was laid off in first position, now in retail banking

Financial Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI like the work/life balance.

ConsRoom for opportunity and growth. Growth is based upon politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more hands on and direct with employees. Be genuine and sincere about the welfare of your staff.

To Big To Fast

Licensed Financial Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHmmmmm..... I can't think of many... But if I had to give one it would be that the health insurance was okay, and the 401K Match was Awesome!

Consgzzzz..... Where to start, I think a monkey could manage this company better. I was told many time that if I took a promotion it would be 'Setting me up for failure!" but wow did that inspire me to just to such an awesome job for the next bank I work for :-) and I get it, that all great sales people dont always make good managers, but if you never give them a chance then you will never know.

Management was disconnected from the front line (retail banking) and even though they had industry leading product technology, the employee side was kind of a joke. As a small business owner, I had better management of my staff with my ipad and a $20 app over what I had with this company for my staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to refresh. You got big really fast and I commend that! But its time to make a new starting point and bring the whole business line in place with that, and then do what you need to do to get everyone on-board to be able to take over the number one bank in the nation. I would even go as far as saying that "PNC" has no value, and think of something that means something!

What is the direction

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood healthcare coverage. Working hours are good. Wall Street likes the company right now. Good technology available to consumer customers.

ConsVery high turnover. Goals are built on all of the lines of business working together, and that doesn't happen when many of the Investment positions, and Mortgage positions are consistently vacant. Branch Market leadership only used this market as a "stop over" to a different position, and really undermined morale. Little opportunity for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold lines of business accountable for referrals back to the branch. Everything seems to fall back on the branch employees, and when that occurs, turnover levels increase dramatically. Be realistic of the expectations in new markets vs. established markets. You talk about Employee Engagement, and get data back on it, but the "good" data, may not be an accurate measure of the true feelings of the employees.

Teller

Teller (Current Employee)
Centreville, AL (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time

ProsOverall an easy job and great coworkers

ConsSome the Goals are unreachable

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people in the branches

Pretty good, and getting better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

ProsNote: I work at corporate headquarters, so these may not apply to branches, operations, or other customer facing areas.
Depending on who you work for, work/life balance is very good.
In spite of what some may suggest, the opportunity to move around within the organization is good for performers.
They still do merit based pay raises.
There is a building focus on improvement.
For a bank, good job security. FTE reduction is always a last resort - the reason you haven't seen the headlines regarding layoffs for PNC like you have for other large financial institutions.

ConsTechnology is still a ways off from where it needs to be, but they are working on it. Example - no wifi, and they are only just this year upgrading from Windows XP.
The culture is very set in its ways and does not react well to change. This results in a lot of under-utilized human capital. Example - finance experts spend far more time slicing and dicing in excel to transform data than actually conducting financial analysis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease emphasis on continued training.

FSC Instore

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFree checking account, discounted investment on PNC Stock, pay for select college courses, Salary job, plenty of vacation time and leave. Great chance to get into banking with no experience, and use it to build a career.

ConsWork Saturday and Sunday. Work 10hrs a day and sometimes 7 days in a row rarely get two days off in a row, Inadequate training and leadership. Commission is horrible compared to what licensed FSC at traditional branches can make. Because in a traditional branch you would be considered a CSA, which is basically a way PNC avoids hiring a teller and an additional FSC. You are really doing the job of five people at times managing, sales, teller, marketing, and security. Basically you are lucky to bring home an extra $400 a month which highly underpaid for the amount of work you have to do. Goals are unrealistic and non uniform enforcement. Constant turn over of employees and managers which leaves alot of branches understaffed. Those who are doing well are failed to get promoted from with in which is why alot of people who stay for a couple years leave to other banks.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally need do a better job of training and selecting Branch Managers. You can't have managers in there complaining about their job everyday, and whose only words out their mouth is upper management wants this or that. You can't leave branches w/o a manager and then wonder why sales are down. To me it seems the in-store locations can be run w/o a branch manager and just increase the salary and commission for FSC and give them all management training.

Great hours and holidays for the most. Work with good people.

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsHolidays hours etc are good. Enjoy customer relationships. Decent incentives.

ConsVery low pay. Highly concerned with customer focus scores. Sometimes those can be uncontrollable with customers upset with pnc in general. Not much opportunity for advancement.

It was okay.

Teller (Former Employee)
Newtown, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for less than a year

ProsI liked how flexible they were with my school schedule. I had a great manager. He was very understanding and truly cared about his employees.

ConsPay was terrible compared to other banks. I needed full time and they only had part time. Lots of drama. Working with almost all women was tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees. A happy employee will be a better employee.

Decent job.... good luck with trying to have a career

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

ProsGood work life balance
Time off
Pension plan

ConsCompany way behind competition so roles are based on copying to catch up
No way to move up/get promoted
They think it's a pay for performance culture but it's not
Annual increases are consistently small

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more growth from within and give your current employees incentive to care. Pittsburgh based so opportunities for employees in the financial services industry are limited. employees aren't staying cause they are happy, they just have limited ptions.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 895 reviews are posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.