PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros:
  • "The company allows most employees to have good work/life balance"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad upper management, lots of interest in screwing the customer to make lots money"
    in 39 reviews
  • "There is no work-life balance or care for the well-being of their employees"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great hours and holidays for the most. Work with good people.

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsHolidays hours etc are good. Enjoy customer relationships. Decent incentives.

ConsVery low pay. Highly concerned with customer focus scores. Sometimes those can be uncontrollable with customers upset with pnc in general. Not much opportunity for advancement.

Good hours but horrible pay.

Financial Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work schedule with having every weekend off and all federal holidays off. Great products for customers to help them manage their finances. This a great place for a college grad to learn about customer service and sales.

ConsPay is very low for what is expected of you. Incentive plan is quarterly and really low in amount you receive. Tons of reports to fill out daily and weekly that is pretty much the same report. Not only do you have to fill out these written reports you have to also out the same information in after each customer interaction in their computer system. When it is all said and done you have documented the same thing four different times which takes up a lot of your time. Management pressures you to increase your sales and no matter what you achieve it is never enough. In sales this is pretty normal but when you receive less that $500 a quarter as an incentive but you have exceeded your goals you are not very motivated since you are not compensated enough for your performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally take a look at what expectations you have for your sales staff and compensate them according to their performance. If you want high quality sales people and want to retain them I suggest you really look at your incentive program. Also have a meeting with HR and the recruiting teams to insure accurate incentive bonuses are being presented to recruits. During the interview process I was advised that on average a person in my position meeting their goals would receive around 2 to 3 thousand dollars a quarter. That is much different than the $500 I found out the average incentive was after I had already started working for the company.

It was okay.

Teller (Former Employee)
Newtown, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for less than a year

ProsI liked how flexible they were with my school schedule. I had a great manager. He was very understanding and truly cared about his employees.

ConsPay was terrible compared to other banks. I needed full time and they only had part time. Lots of drama. Working with almost all women was tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees. A happy employee will be a better employee.

Stressful

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTeh best thing about PNC is the benefits. Pay and incentive were good. Job was fun learned a lot about life cycles.

ConsPersonal growth is haltered unles you are in the click. If you are in the click you are set. Customer Service Surveys keep eveyone on edge daily. Upper Manangement tells you make it hapen does NOT give any coaching towards meeting Customer Service, just yells and has conf. calls daily if you are not meeitng the 5.00 quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost some really dedicated Employees with the Management style of the Columbus Area Upper Manangement. The Culture is fear of the Serveys. I do not reccomend the surveys go away just have the same criteria with all the departments.

Decent job.... good luck with trying to have a career

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

ProsGood work life balance
Time off
Pension plan

ConsCompany way behind competition so roles are based on copying to catch up
No way to move up/get promoted
They think it's a pay for performance culture but it's not
Annual increases are consistently small

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more growth from within and give your current employees incentive to care. Pittsburgh based so opportunities for employees in the financial services industry are limited. employees aren't staying cause they are happy, they just have limited ptions.

Program moving in the right direction

Financial Analyst Development Program (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsFinancial Analyst Development Program (FADP) is moving in the right direction. Really good exposure to senior management. Pay is definitely competitive for the location (although finance makes less than many other areas of the bank).

ConsA lot of the experience is how lucky you get with your rotations; some are much better than others. If you get lucky with your rotations then the experience will be good, but otherwise watch out. There is very little opportunity for "finance" work as the vast majority of it is accounting based.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure analysts are placed in a rotation that NEEDS someone so they aren't just sitting around. Look to hire more people with accounting backgrounds instead of finance.

Careful selecting benefits as soon as possible

Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a job, it taught me a lot of useful information about government regulations on the banking industry, some have since changed.

ConsIt took me three weeks to select benefits and when I did, my paycheck took benefits price from day one, no one advised any employees that would happen, before, during or after.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe crystal clear on how the payment of benefits happens, from when to when and whether selecting them the first day or 3 weeks in does not matter.

Data entry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsThe hours are early. Overtime is available at times.

ConsIt's a big corporation with corporation issues. Too many people want to be the boss and the actual boss doesn't care about the people on the bottom.

NSFC

NSFC (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for more than a year

ProsPay was decent relative to other low skill jobs available in the area. There is some potential for advancement provided there is management turnover.

ConsThe work is exceptionally boring. Dealing with customers that are angry because they were charged ridiculous NSF fees of $30-36 for over drawing an account by $0.50 is not fun.

Great employees. They upset customers with discreet changes and eliminated positions that helped branches.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsGreat culture. Less sales pressure than other banks.

ConsPay is not as great as other banks and they seem to be eliminating positions higher up as well as at branch level.

Advice to Senior ManagementBranch level management is awesome. Upper management needs to stop cutting corners. It will cost you customer and great staffing that you have now.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 882 reviews are posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.